Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree349Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-21-2014, 06:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     
Default Slowly slowy

Seems work and life getting in the way again of cobra rebuilding though small steps have led to todays warm up run.

Had to seal off the exhaust as no gaskets had been added into the system on rebuild of the exhaust. The passenger would have continued getting a very warm soak as my heater connections weren't right. I was getting a big coolant leak in the passenger footwell. Some replacement silicone hosing has sorted this out though.

Enjoy this

Still I had the system warm up to 100C without the thermo fan self starting. So a bit of a quandry as the sensor location was provided near top input hose and not near the lower output.

What is the consensus reagrding the location of the sensor should it be measuring input or output temperature?

I'd be really keen on feedback on this as my old school training says measure temperature at the outlet going back to the motor.

However the sensor bung is up near the inlet and is how the radiator was supplied.

Feedback would be great guys.

Cheers

Slo
Old 06-21-2014, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Mk I, 5L Windsor, TKO 600, enhanced Jag / Koni suspension & LSD Diff.
Not Ranked     

Oops sorry guys try this link instead

Warmuprun140621_zps591aa0b9.mp4 Video by slowy59 | Photobucket

Enjoy
guye likes this.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR 3505, LS1, T56 6 Speed, VE 3.45 LSD Rear, 6 Spot AP Fronts, 4 Spot Wilwood Rears
Not Ranked     

Well done Slowy, how'd you go with your gauges the other day? cheers Gregg
Old 06-22-2014, 02:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

slo, great to see it running!!

Ideally you want to be measuring the water temp at the cylinder head, is there provision in the heads for a sender? Otherwise get as close as to the head as you can, on the hot side of the flow. Who cares what temp it is in the radiator, it's the heads that matter.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

There is a sender on the water pipe that leaves the pump heading to the heater. Do I assume this is feeding info to the ECU on temp?

If so what drives the thermo fan operations?

I have had suggestions for various sensor locations on the raditor. Measure heat in at top of radiator ie temperaure as leaving the motor versus heat out of radiator near outlet showing return water temp back into the motor.

I'm probably stuck with maintaining a sensor on the radiator but it is whether it is near the inlet or outlet location.

Suggestions on those choice please?

Running the engine on idle up to 100C the other day didn't fire the thermo with a sensor set to 92C on 87C off switching. Short circuited the wiring and the fan came on and it also activated using my over-ride switch so the system is capable. Might have to do a boiling water test to see if the switch is ok first.
Old 06-22-2014, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

I found these thermo fan controllers the other day. Just the ticket for a setup where you don't have an ECU to control the fan.

Thermo FAN Controller Manifold Adaptor | eBay

Cheers

Old 06-22-2014, 07:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen low View Post
There is a sender on the water pipe that leaves the pump heading to the heater. Do I assume this is feeding info to the ECU on temp?
What colour is this wire? Is there a wire of the same colour on the ECU plug? Can your multimeter do a continuity test?
Old 06-27-2014, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default spare parts

So am in the process of reassembling the new water pump and lower temp thermostat but wasn't sure whether to install a Dorman cam syncro I acquired.

Bought it more for the sensor locator but given it's a non-genuine part I'm not sure whether to use it or not.

Any of you blue oval boys know whether the Dorman is a cheaper knock off version of the standard part or just as good?

If I can link it too, I'll post a seperate thread from my V8 drive experience at Sandown this morning, that was a buzz, and good practice.

Encouraged by the drive coach's comments too about picking up pretty quickly as this is the first time I've every driven any sort of car on a race track. But then I have watched a million hours of V8's over the years.

Peaked over 200kph on the main straight though as I got into it but 6 laps just aint enough.

The three lap passenger run confirmed how slow I really was though and an eye opener rush. The slicks were starting to be tested on that drive.

Am told they are doing a Phillip Island experience in September, that might be one to consider.

Still if I get my car going I can do it myself.

Cheers

Slo
Old 07-03-2014, 06:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Gremlins overcome I hope

So I think I've sorted my engine related gremlims with a few unexpected fixes.

The issues I had noted included:
  • Not getting battery charging voltage levels whilst running
  • Achieving quite high coolant temperatures as per the dash gauge
  • Not getting any thermo fan operation automatically
  • No achieving ongoing engine idle once warmed up
  • Barely being able to restart the engine once warmed up
My sparky dropped by this morning and his advice was to recheck the temp sensor screwed into the heater manifold pipe. It sends the dash gauge its signal. He was concerned it might be the wrong sensor.

A multi-meter check confirmed that I had a wiring issue somewhere between the alternator plug and the dash battery light. Was not getting the battery light on at ignition on ie the alternator was not being excited and hence no charge during engine operation.

So reviewed the sensor and its markings seemed right but I practically tested resistance in heated water and bingo the sensor was stuffed. $12 later at Bursons a quick check on the stove and I had a correctly working sensor.

While the sensor was out I topped up the coolant system. Added about 2.5 litres so there was also clearly a large air gap in the system too. The sensor and radiator fill point are probably about the highest points so I got some air purge from the sensor port too. Screwed the sensor in did a final top up and capped the system.

Started to unravel the loom at the alternator plug and found a failed solder join between the original plug wires and the loom connection. A new solder joint and quick test and on comes the battery light. So re-wrapped the short section I'd unravelled.

Started first time, the new 82C thermostat operated properly and the system ran up to just over 90C by the gauge and presto the thermo fired up. Engine continued to idle well all through this sequence so I think it is all fixed.

A lack of charging was probably playing hell with the ECU and hence fuel rates. Now that I think about it there was quite a fuel smell after my previous runs. The dodgy temp sensor was messing with the ECU too no doubt and the air lock would not have helped and was probably why the thermo sensor would not activate.

Will now definitely be able to move onto the next phases.

A good day all round.

Cheers

Slo
Old 07-03-2014, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Good results mate; forward progress is always a good thing!
Old 07-03-2014, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: G-Force Cobra '68 302, T-5, Jag 3.77 LSD.
Not Ranked     

Good news Slo, it's a great feeling to get that monkey off ya back.
Old 07-03-2014, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys and yes it is.

I'll be moving into this weekend's work far more relaxed and able to definitely move onto other work that needs to be finished.

Also means I can definitely finish up wrapping the balance of the exposed loom under each front guard and finally tidy up the dash wiring.

Had removed and painted a number of parts so these can all go back into place.

Then I can get onto some peripheral items trying to get the car ready to go see the painter I guess as the next major step.

Exciting times.

Cheers lads
Old 07-03-2014, 06:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC
Not Ranked     

Good work Slowy. you did well. It was great to hear the motor ticking over nicely for you. and now with these little gremlins behind you it should give you some smooth sailing from here on .. ha ha.
Old 07-13-2014, 02:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More small steps

In thinking about what I need to do to get the car to paint I've started focussing on body related items I need to finish.

Needed the guard looms in tact so have managed to almost finish off the loom runs under the guards.

Drivers guard photos.

Rear of drivers wheel arch

Front of drivers wheel arch

Passenger front wheel arch area

Have run earthing and other wires down the gap between the inner guard and the air opening on both sides of the car, as shown on the passengers side photo above. Need to reapply stone guard before I can finish this off properly. But the front wiring is essentially done.

Busily drilling holes in the bodywork and fitting items where needed with the plan to get to paint within the month. We will see.

Cheers

Slo
guye likes this.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default More small steps

Have been alternating focus on other projects but thought it time for a small update.

Am trying to get the car ready to be painted and have almost knocked over the things the need holes drilled in the body. Had my over-riders and rear bumper re-chromed as per the shots below.

But on return and inspection of the mounting hole locations it seems these bits are not to and standard hole pattern so I need to do some modified drilling to make them mount up. Have struggled to pick centrelines so am going to leave this to Marty to do as the last thing before paint.

Fitted up a windscreen frame holder to the dash and have now disassembled the windscreen to get the frame and bits repolished. Will then get the windscreen refitted but with cut outs where the windwing and dash holder bolts screw into the frame.

Have also been working on my demister system. Made a fibreglass supply with a hose attachment. Will sikaflex it into position under the dash after paint.

Think I made this when I first had the unmounted body upside down. Not sure how it will work but it will keep the under dash arrangements tidy at least.

Getting closer every week.

Enjoy
Old 09-21-2014, 01:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Small update

A small up-date in that I am busily stripping parts off the car in preparation of going to paint. No photos - sorry - but probably not worth it.

The engine bay needs re-attention due to some damage that happened during body refit, some filing of holes left off due to mis-communication originally during paint and some small wear and tear items.

I also need to get the radiator support cut back as it it touching the underside of the nose and will create issues if not done.

This means the radiator and system, some of the oil plumbing and all the air intake SS has come out of the engine bay.

The windscreen is still out being refitted and I took the opportunity to get the frame polished first and the seat frames are now out of the car.

Need to fit up latches and various rubbers, Marty will fit up my over-riders and then the car is off to Greg for the rest of its paint.

Wont know what to do with myself with an empty garage - ha!

Cheers

Steve
Aussie Mike and guye like this.
Old 10-01-2014, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A whole lot of nothing.....which is actually something

With work really getting in the way of free time I thought I'd post this small update as I haven't been able to progress car work too far.

In this case as the title suggests actually missing items in this case is good as I clear the engine bay and the rest of the car to go to paint.

So a rather empty nose space sans radiator and cooling system, remote oil lines and cooler and the air intake elements.

And looking through the nose

So have generated a list of fixes for Greg before he hits the paint proper.

Had also aquired a nice new bullit mirror from Mr Snake Bite as I had a tatty old s/h job.

I now also have a nice shiny polished windscreen frame with new glass that Instant screens fitted for me. They went to town on the screen grinding scallops into the glass for the screw locations as well as doing some good finishing work to make it fit the screen well.

So progressing slowly but moving forward at least.

I guess I'd now be keen to hear about trimming success stories and Victorian trimmers in advance of deciding who to give this job to.

Would love names and details of trimmers you guys can recommend in Victoria.

Cheers

Slo
Old 10-01-2014, 09:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default A whole lot of nothing.....which is actually something

With work really getting in the way of free time I thought I'd post this small update as I haven't been able to progress car work too far.

In this case as the title suggests actually missing items in this case is good as I clear the engine bay and the rest of the car to go to paint.

So a rather empty nose space sans radiator and cooling system, remote oil lines and cooler and the air intake elements.

And looking through the nose

So have generated a list of fixes for Greg before he hits the paint proper.

Had also aquired a nice new bullit mirror from Mr Snake Bite had a tatty old s/h job.

I now also have a nice shiny polished windscreen frame with a new glass that Instant screens went to town on grinding scallops into the glass for the screw locations.

So progressing slowly but moving forward at least.

I guess I'd now be keen to hear about trimming success stories and Victorian trimmers in advance of deciding who to give this job to.

Would love names and details of trimmers you guys can recommend in Victoria.

Cheers

Slo
Old 10-02-2014, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Slowy... less internet, more Cobra.

Duncan Skinner will do my upholstery. Does concept work for holden, enough said?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Paul

I've only got time for the laptop doing work so easy enough to slip some car stuff on, its finding hours in the garage that is only currently a weekend option now.

Thanks too where is Duncan based?

S