Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree123Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-18-2014, 05:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Talking Need Some Advice

Morning

I'm looking to do a cobra kit project with my daughters, Since we reside in Landsborough Qld we have been researching some of the local kit builders and have taken I liking to the formerly known Harrison Cobra Kits . I believe it was formerly own by Warrick Harrison and now since its changed hands not to sure about the new owners do they still have the same quality passion and support as Warricks.

I don't know Warrick personally but I have been following this forum for a number of years now and one thing I do know is cobra kits has a lot of happy customers not just because of the good cobra kits he builds but because of the wonderful support and passion he has towards his customers.

Now it's changed hands I'm still deciding what to do as I do not know much about the new Owners or how good there kits & support are. I know they used to build the frames for Warrick and there has been some changers to the frame such as going to McPherson struts.

I'm trying to find out what other changers have been made to there Cobra kits
Besides the Frames, has there been any changers to the Bodies.

I have tried to email Cobra Kits to make inquires but have had no reply as yet, maybe they are a bit busy at the moment to reply. I just have to be patient.

If anyone else can share some more info that would be appreciated

Cheers Darren
Old 05-18-2014, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Here you go ...

Home | Fabrication 81

Andrew is your man.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison, 6.0L Chev
Not Ranked     

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum. Have you tried calling the mobile number on their website? Home | Cobra Car Kits

I ordered my Harrison kit nearly 5 years ago and there were a few problems with the body being aligned 15mm to the right over the front wheels (left wheel rubbed badly) and the engine mounting points on the frame (ordered to suit LS) were not even in the ballpark - harmonic balancer too close to the power steering rack and the bell housing touched the tunnel. I had my local engineer fix these problems at my expense.

You might also want to ask about the condition of the fibreglass body molds. I've heard recently of cars delivered with large gaps along the seams where the mold comes together - requiring lots of body work to straighten out. We're talking more than a few mm here.

My body had quite a few voids just under the gelcoat, mainly over the rear wheel arches but also the front cowl where it meets the doors at the top. I will be going over all edges with a small hammer before final paint.

Have you spoken to any other kit manufacturers along the east coast?
Old 05-18-2014, 10:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Jasbel,

Welcome!

I too was going to buy a Harrison, and then I learned of the Absolute Pace 427SC. So, I bought one of them instead.

Have you considered this car? You won't have any of the aforementioned body issues that the Harrison's have.
Old 05-18-2014, 11:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello

Thanks for the replies

Sorry to hear about your bad experience with the Harrison Cobra Kit they always seem by many on this forum as a very good kit and also read that the support is 2nd to none

Maybe you were unlucky, I've read that Harrison kits are now own by Fabrication 8, has anyone bought a kit since the changing of hands. I believe there were some changes to the chassis changing from double wish bone to McPherson struts what other changers have been made if any

Maybe there has been changers to there bodies as we'll?

I'll have to see what other good kits are available, yes I like the Absolute Pace kits maybe a
Little out of my price range I'll have to make further inquires,

I was also thinking about Classic Revival kits in NSW, since I live in Landsborough Qld I don't know if they build kits to the Queensland Transport Requirements. I have read some very good reviews about CR?

Everyone seems to be buying selling or shutting shop which makes it even harder to decide on which kit to choose considering you have to put down your hard earn money and not knowing the quality of workmanship and the support that you are going to get from the next Cobra Kit Business Owner.

Any recommendations and advise would be appreciated

Cheers Darren
Old 05-19-2014, 12:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison #100 under construction
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambo View Post
Hi Darren and welcome to the forum. Have you tried calling the mobile number on their website? Home | Cobra Car Kits

I ordered my Harrison kit nearly 5 years ago and there were a few problems with the body being aligned 15mm to the right over the front wheels (left wheel rubbed badly) and the engine mounting points on the frame (ordered to suit LS) were not even in the ballpark - harmonic balancer too close to the power steering rack and the bell housing touched the tunnel. I had my local engineer fix these problems at my expense.

You might also want to ask about the condition of the fibreglass body molds. I've heard recently of cars delivered with large gaps along the seams where the mold comes together - requiring lots of body work to straighten out. We're talking more than a few mm here.

My body had quite a few voids just under the gelcoat, mainly over the rear wheel arches but also the front cowl where it meets the doors at the top. I will be going over all edges with a small hammer before final paint.

Have you spoken to any other kit manufacturers along the east coast?
Wow, in Warwick's defense mine, #100, was nothing like that.
My best mate & his Dad ran a fibreglass business building very high quality upmarket speed boats ( $5500 when GT Falcon's were $3995 drive away) for over 20 years and I have to say he was very impressed with the quality of my Harrison body and I have very little to do in preparation for paint. That being said, in my experience with GRP bodies they all require work. Mould preparation before laying up a new shell goes a long way to cutting down work afterwards.
My experience with Warwick has been nothing but very good, but that doesn't mean that every job done is perfect either-as the Tee shirts say " Sh it happens !"

Harrison #100
Old 05-19-2014, 02:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know two other Harrison owners down here, one had the same alignment problem at the front and another had a similar problem at the rear. I've seen a car in early stages of paint prep that had to be cut and shut in a few places to correct severe problems out of the mold.

You can find good and bad examples of all cars. Armed with the right knowledge there is no reason why you should be unhappy with a Harrison. Warwick was always helpful on the phone, it just wasn't practical to ship the chassis back to him for correction - not that I asked. I just feel that these things could've been avoided if a little more care was taken.
Old 05-19-2014, 03:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Wink

Plenty to choose from:-
Qld... Kirkham, Absolute Pace, BDM, DRB, Harrison, Denis Bedford.
NSW....Classic revival.
Vic...Python, RCM, CTC (superformance), Kenmer, Venom? Robnel (Daytona sports cars)
WA.... RMC, G Force, Factory5,
SA.... Woolley / Evans ?
Old 05-19-2014, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: absolute pace chassis #50 L98 & 6 speed auto
Not Ranked     

eveans haven't made a car for yrs and was talking to paul wooley the other day and he hasent done a kit in 2 yrs
Old 05-19-2014, 04:02 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I heard Classic Revival was for sale as well.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

Ian actually posted on here some months back that the CR business is for sale.

Classic Revival for sale!!!
Old 05-19-2014, 08:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Darren, If you want a straight body out the mould that doesn't need adjustment, with great fit and finish, and a beautiful chassis, look at G-force in WA. He has a relatively new mould and is a low volume producer. The older the mould is, the more out of shape it gets.

I bought one about 12 months ago and am amazed at the quality. and strength of the kit, and I come from 12 years in the fibre glass industry, I am slowly working on my project, and have no links to G-force except as a happy customer. I don't have to do any fibre glass repairs to get things to fit. I have seen some people on this forum with huge fibre glass work to get items to fit and to look straight.

Unfortunately not in your State, but worth a look. BTW, I went with the GM LS3 motor.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey All

Today I've started the process inquiring about Cobra Kits. I called Andrew today from
Cobra Kits (Fabrication 81) to talk about his kits, my first impression is Andrew is a really nice guy helpful and very passionate about his Cobra Kits and is striving to improve upon an already good kit to make it even better.

He mention to me and was quite open & Honest about previous alignment issues etc about the Cobra Bodies and that these problems are of the past have been rectified with new and improved moulds and procedures.

I'm going to in the next few weeks to have a look in person to see the kits in person.

Cheers for now and Thankyou everyone

Darren
Wazza, sambo, Rog246 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Darren,

There seems to be plenty of R&D in CR kits. Not all of it is exclusively factory either.

Have a chat to Aussie Mike (& if boxhead is still around - him too).
Mike has developed the CR kit further ...and even though he's never finished evolving his kit it certainly has tweaks which further enhance an already proven and good product.

Best of luck with your search.
Old 05-20-2014, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: v10 ford
Not Ranked     

Update for Mrs Flatchat on manufacturers.
Evens - not trading
Venom (Vic) - check background/posts very carefully.
Robnell - will eventually build cobras again? But will not supply base kits.
CTC - not active last I heard.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB, FORD 302W,T5
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

Correct
Old 05-20-2014, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hi all

Has anyone purchased a cobra kit recently from Cobra Kits (Fabrication 81) Formerly known as Harrison Cobra Kits.

I'm trying to find some feed back and information about the new owners and the quality of the kits since buying the business from Warrick.

Cheers
Old 05-21-2014, 03:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Wish I had my own PACE 427
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasbel View Post
Everyone seems to be buying selling or shutting shop which makes it even harder to decide on which kit to choose considering you have to put down your hard earn money and not knowing the quality of workmanship and the support that you are going to get from the next Cobra Kit Business Owner.
Certainly not us. We have a 1800sqm facility, more than 20 guys and we can't build them fast enough. We have been doubling in size every year since being in business.

Drop in and see Andrew and then come and see us, we are in the same neighborhood. Also if you haven't yet, get along to local cobra club meeting and see finished cars and chat to owners there as well. You can't do too much research.

Our factory address:

Absolute Pace
23 Demand Avenue
Arundel
07 3103 0957
BMK, Tonus72, d488y2 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Het 400tt

I think you might be right, one thing I do know from my research over the last few days
is that Absolute Pace looks like is going to be the choice for me as well.

There's nothing in Australia at the moment that even comes close to Absolute Pace for quality and value for money.

IMHO this is why I think other Cobra Kit Business are shutting shops or trying to sell there business as they know they won't have a chance to survive unless they lift there game real fast,

Honestly I think it's to late as Absolute Pace seems to be gaining ground super quick and its only a matter of time before they own the majority of the market.

Take a look at the amount of cobra kits for sale at the moment, I've never seen so many up for sale at one time. "Why" Because everybody wants to buy a Absolute Pace Kit?

I haven't visited the AP Factory as yet but I will soon in the near future.

You never know Absolute Pace maybe the next Superformance but offering a even better Product

Cheers
Old 05-21-2014, 03:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasbel View Post
IMHO this is why I think other Cobra Kit Business are shutting shops or trying to sell there business as they know they won't have a chance to survive unless they lift there game real fast,
I think the two or three who have recently sold or shut shop were on the market well before anyone saw the AP product and I believe one could be due to ill health.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: