21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Actually, sounds like kind of a cool tool. But 250 beans ain't cheap. You'd need to let me borrow it to make it worth your while (so you could feel you were getting enough use out of it).
I will.

Old 05-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

BBF, the guy was a penis of the first order but don't think that he will be the last. I myself, when confronted with such barbarism, will normally just walk away as though I didn't see anything. On the other hand, if the owner seems semi cool, I'll jack with him and give him a load of s*** over it. We'd probably end up laughing about my dino motor and your sacrilege.

Next subject: you said that you regret bying the MSD6 progamable, why? I'm about to use one with my dino motor with a locked out dis. So I'm interested.

Steve
Old 05-24-2010, 06:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

The only reason I regret it is because I don't have a laptop to set my own limits. With my Digital 6 it is just a few clicks and done, that's all. I like MSD products and am sure this is a well made item. It runs well now but like I said I can't change limits at this point. Although I thought I saw a hand held programmer, do you know anything about this?
Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrison, Donovan aluminum BB
Not Ranked     

ratsnst1, it is a 509 and well built, isn't great to haul ass like that......
Old 05-24-2010, 01:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If memory serves me correctly, many an E-M kit went out the door with Corvette and Jag suspension. Is that ruining the car? I don't think so! The last of the old E-M style cars went out the door with a 502 Chevy under the hood. They built kits for Mopar Hemi engines and even a Buick. I don't think any less of a Duce Coupe or a T-bucket with Chevy power, so I don't know why having a Cobra with Chevy power is such a big deal. Show your car with pride and screw the purists.
Old 05-24-2010, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: # 757 ERA 427 SC , 482 Al. big block
Not Ranked     

And 99 % of these "knowledgeable purists" don`t know their head from their you know what . I had a guy go ballistic over the intake on my 427 Galaxie because he said it had the wrong CAE number ( wife standing there ) ... He just couldn`t read , it was a correct C3AE # that the casting marks had run together a little ... he said it was CAE8... but it was obvious when you took the time to look at it . When I took him by the arm and forced him to really look at it , he just walked away ... never did apologize.
There are far more good guys out there than butt holes ... so enjoy yourself. you just remember the bad ones the most .
Old 05-24-2010, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Just came across this thread, and I can't get over 'non-owners' getting all bent up about what engine we may have in our 'replica' Cobra. While my own ERA has a 428 FE, it's just about looks. I actually considered a BBC (big HP for less cash) until Peter gave me the 'talk' about accuracy and resale etc. A well-healed side oiler costs at least double what a comparable big block Chevy would. Lots of Cobras out there with Windsor engines that are no more 'incorrect' than a Chevy would be. I have no problem with owners installing Chevys or just about anything else that would run well. If it becomes an issue, just keep the hood closed. Just my opinion, of course.
P.S. Carroll originally wanted Chevy power for the early Cobras. Just think what the 427 Cobras would have looked like under the hood if that scenario came to pass.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
Lots of Cobras out there with Windsor engines that are no more 'incorrect' than a Chevy would be.
Ehhh, I don't know about that. At least with a Windsor you have the right manufacturer, just the wrong size. With a BBC, you kind of have the right size, just the wrong manufacturer. But if you insist on lumping Windsors in 427 cars in to the same dung hole as bow ties in Cobras, then I'll end up agreeing with you long before I take issue with you.
Old 05-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Peter has a direct stake in the qaulity and reputation of his ERA's. I feel the same way about the Cobra hobby in general. I have a stake in the reputation these cars generate, good or bad.

You can call it purist all day long, but it's more fundamental than that. When you stray to far from the basic recipe you hurt the hobby, the perception of the hobby, you hurt MY reputation as an owner. So I take it personally, if you want to run a GM motor, please, keep your hood closed and keep a low profile. Or get used to being slammed, behind your back or in your face.

When I was running a small block Ford in another replica I used to own, I removed the 427 emblems and replaced them with Ford Power emblems. Like the original small block cars had. ALL THOUGH many "purists" see the 427 emblem as noting the BODY STYLE, not the engine cid. After all, many if not most came with a 428 not a 427.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-24-2010 at 05:23 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 05:28 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
But if you insist on lumping Windsors in 427 cars in to the same dung hole as bow ties in Cobras, then I'll end up agreeing with you long before I take issue with you.
Now that is funny.

Now would a Viper V10 in a Cobra make a difference in anyone's opinion?

(that's rhetorical of course)

Speaking of dungholes, if you're going to lump Windsors in 427 cars into the same category as a BBC, then I have to say that "dual roll bar" Cobras may have to follow them down into the same dunghole.

Old 05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

There was a guy out here that put a Ferrari V12 in a Cobra. It was called a Cobrari.

http://www.alfarex.com/services/weber.html

Last edited by 4pipes; 05-24-2010 at 06:05 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 06:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

I have seriously thought about doing a Boeing turbine starter unit or helicopter turbine in mine!!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

Here's one for ya to mull over... Why did Shelby put an Olds Aurora engine in the Series I?

Hersh
Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post

Now would a Viper V10 in a Cobra make a difference in anyone's opinion?
Sure, it would make your cobra sound like a UPS truck AND look wrong at the same time.

I have never seen an engine that looks cooler, goes like he11 and sounds worse than the Viper V10.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)
Old 05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Because he always wanted to use an Olds as his first choice when he quit racing and decided to build a new sports car! Which became, after considering numerous options for cars, engines, suppliers, financial backing, etc. the combo of AC and Ford.

Could have been something like Austin Healey 3000 with an Olds engine. I think that would have been a disaster myself though. The Olds engine at that time weighed something like 750 pounds.While the suspension on the AC wasn't "all that" it was superior to the Healey for sure! On that note, the small block Chevy wasn't far behind it, they are also a pretty heavy motor (still are for an iron small block). Especially compared to the new light weight small block 260-289 Ford engine of that time.

Here's one to mull over. What FOREIGN based body and American engine combo would YOU have used in 1959-1960 if you were setting out to build a new world class sports car? What combinations WERE even possible to consider? Masserati perhaps? Ferrari? Jaguar? MGB? Austin Healey we know about for sure, but I think it's basic suspension would have been a very poor choice. Largely it came down to who was willing to FINANCE the project, first, car/engine choice second.

Some engine choices are just so far "over the top" they can stand by themselves and need no justification. Viper V-10 I think is like that (not MY favoirte, but...). Certainly anything Hemi based has gotta be cool. You can't go wrong with a SOHC Ford in anything as well. Even a Jaguar V-12 is an excellent choice for a "hot rod", you don't see that very often.

Last edited by Excaliber; 05-24-2010 at 06:35 PM..
Old 05-24-2010, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates Cobra, RFGT40
Not Ranked     

Ernie, If I was picking an engine for a small car back then I would have went the Lotus 7 way but with a Buick nail head.
A wee bit heavy but Oh the Fun!

Hersh
Old 05-24-2010, 06:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thats a good combo, pretty much all the American V8's of that time were pretty heavy, but yeah, it would go like stink!
Old 05-24-2010, 08:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default it sure is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBfangs View Post
ratsnst1, it is a 509 and well built, isn't great to haul ass like that......
mine is a 509 bored to a 515, its after market block that chevy had awhile back, bowtie block .
Old 05-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdoug View Post
Sure, it would make your cobra sound like a UPS truck AND look wrong at the same time.

I have never seen an engine that looks cooler, goes like he11 and sounds worse than the Viper V10.
Ah come on. At least you would have a snake on the valve covers instead of Chevy or Corvette. Or worse, and M/T.

Shelby helped Dodge with the Viper and he helped AC and Ford a little with the Cobra.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX 6022, navy blue, period correct 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Ah come on. At least you would have a snake on the valve covers instead of Chevy or Corvette. Or worse, and M/T.

Shelby helped Dodge with the Viper and he helped AC and Ford a little with the Cobra.
I love the look of that engine and it gets points from me as an interesting interpretation for a cobra. But I could never live with a "wheezy" engine.

www.partskeeper.com
(Less time searching, more time wrenching & driving)