Club Cobra Keith Craft Motorsports  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

There is a soft top manufacturer in California - Robbins - they manufacture a top that is made to fit the original AC Shelby Cobra (289 or 427). They make that top - and they supply soft tops to ERA. The tops have to be fitted - header bar attached etc. You might contact them - not sure if they are in your neighborhood, but I believe they are in SoCal. The FFR premium top is nice but pricey ($3500), and designed for their car. The manufacturer of that top said he would do one for my ERA, but as a custom top it would be $5000. JUST CHECKED - ROBBINS IS IN OXNARD - NOT TOO LONG A DRIVE FROM SAN DIEGO (depending on traffic!!)

Last edited by Rickd; 10-10-2010 at 08:45 AM..
Old 10-10-2010, 08:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

The two holes in the door would be for the side window frame (they are separate from the top). There should be another hole on the body next to the door jam. That would be for the hoop/frame that holds the soft top up. There should be brackets for the windshield and snaps for the body that actually hold the soft top to the body.

Hope this helps.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

From the rear it looks to me like a Shell Valley body. Their bottom trunk line is not straight as is slopes to the left. In your picture the botton trunk line looks like it's not straight and is sloping to the left. Have fun. John They also have a soft top available.
Old 10-10-2010, 01:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No idea yet. Help!!!
Not Ranked     

Rickd, thank you on the info about robins, i will definitely check it out. They are only 4 hrs away. That will be a nice drive .
Tcrist, who makes the side window frame? I have been wondering about the 2 holes, mostly because the other roadster pictures i have seen online have 3 holes and not just 2. At least i know that at some point in time it had a window,but i don't see any snaps as i have seen in other pictures of roadsters.
John, thank you for your input on who you think made the body, maybe i should send some pics to them and see if it is actually their kit.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

0Grav - go into my gallery - there is one shot of the ERA FIA cockpit - you can see the 3 ferrules in the door for the side curtains and just behind the door latch welded to the chassis - is the ferrule that receives the soft top bow.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The manufacture is the one that makes the widow frame for their cars. Once you find out the manufacture you will then know what/who to look for.
Old 10-10-2010, 02:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I've been waiting MONTHS for side curtains from ERA. They have them made by an outside supplier and there is some kind of problem with getting them done. ERA FIA windows, OK, but not the 427's.

Very expensive and often require modification or relocation on the holes in the door. Not really recommended unless you live in Oregon where it rains a lot....
Old 10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rickd thank you for the info. I saw the pics and yours also has 3 ferrules on the door. I also saw the one one welded to the chassis. At least now i have a better idea of what to look for.
Tcrist, are there many companies that that make them with only 2 ferrules? I mean, most of the pics i see have 3 not just two. So maybe that would be the easiest way to find the manufacturer?
Excaliber, that is a long time, but sometimes it is worth the wait. I just going to keep looking online for pictures with just two ferrules, maybe i'll get lucky and find it that way. At the end I would like to be able to use the soft top if it rains, even if it doesn't much here in San Diego, but it is always nice to have options.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I have a hard top for mine with the side curtains and 2 pins on the bottom that fit the doors.....i like the hard top but if you dont like cramped places...you dont want a top.
Old 10-10-2010, 05:33 PM
Regularly Offensive
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: spf
Not Ranked     

You live in San Diego, why do you need a top.......
Just wait until you find out who made your car and the manufacturer will be able to provide you with a top and side curtains....

Too close for missles, switching to guns.........
Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The one for the bow could be inside the body.

The other thing is that who ever built it might have only put the two in the door for a custom side curtain / Plexiglas and did not have a top. I see a lot of convertibles running around with the door windows up but the top down.

I did notice that the back hole on the door is not very far back. Normally (I think) they are about an inch or two away from front an back. Yours looks further away than a couple of inches in the photo to me.

Edit,
I just went back and looked at your photos. Could it be that the holes are for pins for a cockpit cover. It could be that the pins were to hold down the cover in the wind and then maybe it tied to the back area of the cockpit somewhere. I know, that is stretching the thinking a bit.

Last edited by tcrist; 10-10-2010 at 06:52 PM..
Old 10-10-2010, 07:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't mind the cramp places, it will be like driving my Fiero :P
Ed, i know i don't need a top in San Diego, but it is always nice to be prepare just in case
Terry, yes, it looks a lot more than a couple of inches, another reason that i though i would be able to get the manufacturer that way. As soon as my car arrives i will take a closer look.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 86 Everett Morrison 90" WB. 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
Back to the point of the thread....
some of the early E-M cars could be built
with leaf springs but i never saw one so i
cant say if thats one or not....
its not a bad looking car....with some TLC
it could be a real nice car....good luck and
have a lot of fun with it....
The dash and the front inner fender wells do not look to be Everett Morrison. But the most noticeable thing is the square tubing at the rear I see, not EM.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, i guess now i know that it is not EM or FF.
Old 10-10-2010, 09:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This may give you a direction ogravty.

http://www.erareplicas.com/427/profiles/index.htm
Old 10-10-2010, 09:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, this will really help. specially what is not
Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I to went back and looked at the photos again and the dash looks like its almost part of the body and there werent very many manufacturers that did that...Lone Star and Shell Valley are two that come to mind but the bottom of the trunk lid and the bottom of the hood dont look like Shell Valley stuff to me....and i think Lone Star finishes the bottom of there trunk and hood also....it could be a manufactured body on a home built frame and is there a cross member at the back of the frame or do the rear frame horns just hang there ?????
Old 10-11-2010, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ok, i was finally told that the car should be arriving in San Diego on Friday I also found out that the Identification number is NCS86323. SO i don't know if that helps. I asked the dealership if they saw any other markings and they told me that the only thing they were able to see was the 6S whic is what you see on my pic 461. AS soon as the car arrives I should be able to take a closer look and see if i can find any other markings.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think the NCS may be a North Carolina designation. Also what is the standard today, 17 digit VIN numbers? This would be common for older NC VIN's.
Old 10-11-2010, 11:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ogravty.....you will have to do an SB0100 on that car to reg. and licens it in Cali..even if it has been reg. and licensed in another state....