Club Cobra GasN Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > General Discussion > Club Cobra Introduction Forum (introduce yourself)

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 03:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: No idea yet. Help!!!
Not Ranked     

Thanks Rob, I have been looking at the autozone website and for some reason all the dimensions don't make sense.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, Vette suspension, Baer 6P brakes, 540 cid Chevy, Haltech Fuel Injection
Not Ranked     
Default Camaro gas tank

The Midstates cars use a 68 Camaro gas tank. It sits below the rear frame rail extensions, not between them. It is not very deep (maybe 9 or 10 inches, but I am going by memory), so does not hang low, but that is of course with the location and design of the Midstates frame. The filler is relocated as described in the earlier poster's post. The width of the tank fits between the fenders, but not between the frame rails. A pair of straps hold the tank up against the bottom of the frame rails. The relocated fill tube resides inside the rear fender wheel well and does not have to go through the trunk inner panel. Hope this helps someone...
Old 11-03-2010, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, i was getting so tired at looking at gas tanks that i was thinking of making my own and not deal with it.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Scratch built CSX style frame, Carbon fiber body, 393 Stroker, T-bird IRS, T5
Not Ranked     

Actually, making your own is probably not a bad idea. Or, you could talk to Mickmate and give him some measurements and he will make one up to order.

The frame under the rear of that car is definitely overkill. If you needed to trim it to fit a tank in there, it probably wouldn't hurt the structure too much. As long as the body supports are still intact and enough metal to support the trunk you could either cut out the lower portion of the chassis frame or modify the entire tail of the chassis to fit a tank in.
Look at other Cobra kit chassis and you'll see there is very little structure in the rear of the car.

Bob
Old 11-03-2010, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think i will do that. I will take some measurements, weld it and trow some fuel cell safety foam in it. I can probably use the same cover and components it has right now.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

I did get around to checking the measurements against my tank and they are almost spot on......it would be easy to put a Camaro tank in your car......if i had some pictures handy i would email them to you ......
Old 11-03-2010, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

within the dimentions i was looking for? can you sent me the exact dimentions and what year, engine size camaro? thanks.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 PM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Just so you know....all 67-69 Camaro fuel tanks are the same size.

This is from a friends business
http://www.firewheelclassics.com/sto...%2D10SS%5F12SS
Old 11-04-2010, 05:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks, looks good. an it fits within the 26" x 26" x 6-7" dimentions? I'm looking at other website and it is telling me 39 3/8" x 20 7/8" x 7 3/4" and it is a 18 gallons
http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Det...+50012+2012008

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par...3478_1****0_0_

autozone has the same dimentions, but whe i do the math it comes out to 27.57 gallons. I'm just worry about the 39 3/8 dimention since if that is case it will not fit.

Last edited by ogravty; 11-04-2010 at 05:14 AM..
Old 11-04-2010, 06:27 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star Classics #240,Candy Apple Red,Keith Craft 418w - 602 HP,584 TQ
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogravty View Post
Thanks, looks good. an it fits within the 26" x 26" x 6-7" dimentions? I'm looking at other website and it is telling me 39 3/8" x 20 7/8" x 7 3/4" and it is a 18 gallons

autozone has the same dimentions, but whe i do the math it comes out to 27.57 gallons. I'm just worry about the 39 3/8 dimention since if that is case it will not fit.
That is the right,39 3/8" x 20 7/8" x 7 3/4". It is 18 gallons.

I have that exact tank I sent you a link to in my '67 RS/SS 396.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the tank DOES NOT go between the frame rails, it is suspended by the straps that hold it up against two rails welded to the frame rails that are paralel to the ground that way the tank sits level in the car although the frame rails are not paralel to the ground...i wish i had a picture to send you but my scanner in packed away because i'm in the process of moveing...........i have the picture i just dont have my scanner......
Old 11-04-2010, 07:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

the 67/8 Camaro tank is different than the 69.........
the 69 has a longer filler neck....and can be removed and
put on the side so you can easily hook up the LeMans cap
Google Ricks Camaro parts they show the tank and a price of $119.00
hope this will solve your tank problem.....good luck
Old 11-04-2010, 08:19 AM
6th Generation Texan
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyBob View Post
the 67/8 Camaro tank is different than the 69.........
the 69 has a longer filler neck....
With the talk of blocking off the fill opening in the tank at that point I failed to mention that difference.
You are 100% correct on that difference between the two.
Old 11-04-2010, 08:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks rob, i didn't even think of that =P i was just thinking on putting it between the rails but that makes sense also. and hopefully it doesn't seat that low.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:40 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm still trying to figure a way to get you the pictures of how mine is mounted....once you see them you'll see how easy it was.......
Old 11-04-2010, 08:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

well... i don't think it will work, i took the measurements and it doesn't fit accross. 39 3/8" it will actually hit the leaf suspension. it would of clear if it was closer to 38. also if i make the tank parallel to the floor it will clear the floor by around 6"-7" is it the same on yours? but atleast i have a better idea on tanks and not just look for one that will fit between the rails.
Old 11-05-2010, 02:29 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rowen Replicar 351C wish it ran :) Anxiously awaiting delivery of my Road Serpent :)
Not Ranked     

0gravity, I should have posted earlier, but could not see how the cars could be connected since mine was made in S. C. in 1989. There are a few pictures of it and a manufacture’s brochure in my gallery. But your body and frame look strikingly similar as best as I can tell from the pictures. Although I didn’t see a good body profile, it looks like the rear fenders slope down and back like mine. The rear trunk inner wells and sloping floor look identical and were unfinished just as yours. The only difference may be that the distance from the foot box to the rear of the inner front fender well maybe a little longer on yours. The “droop” you have in the doors, especially the right, looks identical to the way mine looked. Yours even has the same gap in the left lower trunk lid area. The tail light areas seem to have the same angling up and out. The trunk and hood hinges look the same. The interior is different. The dash has different instrument locations. The door panels look like EM to me but that is just a guess. It doesn’t matter those things were not included by the company. One thing that seems unique about mine compared to other replicas is that the front of the rear wheel well has a low wide lip kind of like an FIA. I cannot see your pictures clearly enough to tell on yours. The manufacturer did not put any identification markings anywhere so there is no need to look for them.

From what I can see the frame is the same. Mine is a 4x4 tube base like yours. It has the leaf springs and a Mustang II front cross member. I could not see the steering columns and couplings but mine has a notch in the frame to accommodate the piece going into the steering box. There are no metal supports for the steering column mount under the hood but ¼ in plate was fiber gassed in from the bottom of the dash. The door mounts are similar. The body is very thick and can easily be walked on without any problems. Mine is 20+ years old and there are no fiberglass cracks except for one place where the body filler has cracked. The frame too is way over built. The body on my car did not exhibit any undue concern for quality control. J Which is the same comment another fellow made about his.

That being said, here are a few thoughts. The Camaro gas tank should fit. For a while I used one from a Buick Apollo, probably the same thing as the Camaro. It sat low and had to be shimmed to have the bottom flat. It worked but I never liked it. Later went with an aluminum one made by some good friends. The car was probably built to take a Mustang II tank where your present tank is now. Mine was. The Mustang II rear leaf springs worked well except a leaf broke in one of mine and they had to be replaced. But I think it handles well and really would be one of the last things I would change. It is a piece of cake to change the wheel lug pattern and go to GM calipers with Granada rotors. I purchased the kit from ECI but several companies offer it. To straighten the doors, we cut the tops up and reglassed them in better position. I also added substantially more glass to make thicker lips on the doors for appearance and safety. The frame was made to accept a Mustang II/ Pinto rear end. But I used a shortened 9” housing. A Maverick or Granada rear end should fit without problems except changing the spring perches and some of those had disc brakes.

If they are not made by the same manufacturer, they are still strikingly similar. Probably, I have been through about every problem you will have and would be glad to share with you what I did if it would help. Plus I have the advantage of having done everything all the wrong ways first to get to the right solution. Well, every problem but the Ca registration. J Indiana is much more user friendly.

Let me know if I can help.

Rick
Old 11-05-2010, 04:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Rick, i will take pictures of my steering wheel column from the engine side and cockpit. As you said, mine is also 4" x 4" tube base and it seems very strong. No cracks at all in the Fiberglass. The fiberglass on top of the doors are not rolled, just straight in to the cockpit and not parallel to the floor but kind of angles down a little bit as it goes into the inside of the car, but i do not know if that is normal in the cobras. I will also take pictures of the front and rear wheel well for you to see. I'm getting the doors straighten and re-glassed to fix any gaps. Is this company even around anymore? From the pictures of the brouchure, all 4 hinges looks very similar to mine, but i will take pictures of it tomorrow also. If in fact my car was made using this kit, are there parts avaliable for it? i mean like the softtop or tonneau. I want to get one but i'm not sure if the ones from other companies will fit. I know i can't use the factory five tonneau since it doesn't really fit, but i'll try it again tomorrow, the shell valley tonneau was closer to it, but as i said i'll try again after work or just have one custom made. A soft top would be nice though. Thanks once again Rick.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So....does this mean that the mystery is solved on WHO made this kit ????
Old 11-05-2010, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

We will know by the end of the day when i go and take pictures and he tells me is the same one. I never heard of it though and i don't know if they are in business anymore. Anyone knows anything about the history on those?