Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   AP2289 Build log 'stage 2' (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/137611-ap2289-build-log-stage-2-a.html)

ssv ute 01-21-2022 01:28 PM

Looking good Glen, getting closer to completion. The Regency Park Inspectors will be blown away by your attention to detail and quality of work.
It proves you don't need a massive fully equipped workshop (although it would be nice) to build a quality end product. I get so envious when I see pics of the US boys with their large properties, tow vehicles and trailers that you don't see in our neck of the woods - not at reasonable prices anyway!

Keep up the good effort.

xb-60 01-22-2022 05:28 PM

Thanks for the comments Richard.
The more things I cross off my list, the more things I find that I have to add to the list :JEKYLHYDE

Yes, I agree (and you've seen my garage/workshop) you don't need a massive space to turn out a decent car. I do wish, though, that I'd prepared better for parts storage in prep. for this project :o

Cheers,
Glen

xb-60 01-23-2022 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1502451)
.... I do wish .....that I'd prepared better for parts storage in prep. for this project....

Frustration here! A mere 8 hours after that last post, I'm looking for my much cherished Harrison tank. Can't find the dang thing anywhere, having looked everywhere (well, almost everywhere, obviously) in the safe places I might have put it ....probably around 8 or 9 years ago.
It'll turn up somewhere, someday; just hope it's in time to be able to use it :confused:

Cheers..... (I'll go and have a pale ale) :JEKYLHYDE
Glen

Harpoon PV2 01-23-2022 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1502455)
Frustration here! A mere 8 hours after that last post, I'm looking for my much cherished Harrison tank. Can't find the dang thing anywhere, having looked everywhere (well, almost everywhere, obviously) in the safe places I might have put it ....probably around 8 or 9 years ago.
It'll turn up somewhere, someday; just hope it's in time to be able to use it :confused:

Cheers..... (I'll go and have a pale ale) :JEKYLHYDE
Glen

First rule: under no circumstance, should you put an item in a place where you will never forget that you put it there! Second rule: never clean your shop. That way, you always know in which pile the peace you are looking for is! :confused:

xb-60 01-23-2022 10:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harpoon PV2 (Post 1502484)
First rule: under no circumstance, should you put an item in a place where you will never forget that you put it there! ....

Hmm.... never too old to learn :D
I'm into my third log book for the build..... so if in future I put something in a "special"/"safe" place, I'm making an entry on the last page of the log book as to where I put it.
That'll work, won't it :3DSMILE:?

Time for another pale ale...

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 02-02-2022 09:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still working on seat belts, but for a bit of (needed) variety, have fitted air horns in the front fender.
I thought it would be a quick job. It wasn't.

Attachment 37133

I'll bend up an alloy shield (for when I'm driving in the rain :eek: )

Cheers, & stay safe!
Glen

Harpoon PV2 02-03-2022 12:08 AM

Funny how those quick jobs always end up being anything but easy!

xb-60 02-20-2022 12:06 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1502455)
Frustration here.....I'm looking for my much cherished Harrison tank. Can't find the dang thing anywhere, having looked everywhere......

Was lost .....is found :JEKYLHYDE
(looked "everywhere" again)

Attachment 37256

Time for another pale ale .....

Cheers!
Glen

Alfa02 02-20-2022 04:45 AM

So, Glen I bet it was in the last place you put it ;) Cheers Glen, TommyRot

1795 02-20-2022 04:46 AM

Glen,

Congrats! Now, make sure you do not have too many pale ales in celebration, lest you then forget where it is again...:LOL:

Cheers,

Jim

BJ's Snake 02-20-2022 12:34 PM

Looking forward in seeing where and how you mount that bad boy!

Cheers
Brett

xb-60 02-20-2022 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BJ's Snake (Post 1503587)
Looking forward in seeing where and how you mount that bad boy!

Cheers
Brett

BJ, no matter whether it's functional or not :3DSMILE: ....it's going in there one way or another (ideally functional!!)

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 02-20-2022 09:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1503580)
So, Glen I bet it was in the last place you put it ;) Cheers Glen, TommyRot

Tom, I actually stumbled across it (not literally ;)) ...but at least I found it.

Now, I have a panel with a couple of very nice stopwatches on it ....somewhere :confused:

It would be a good idea if I finished this build sometime soon :rolleyes:

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 02-20-2022 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1795 (Post 1503581)
Glen,

Congrats! Now, make sure you do not have too many pale ales in celebration, lest you then forget where it is again...:LOL:

Cheers,

Jim

Jim - you suggesting I HAVE A PROBLEM??

1795 02-21-2022 04:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xb-60 (Post 1503601)
Jim - you suggesting I HAVE A PROBLEM??

Glen,

Recognition is the first step towards the solution...:LOL:

I have seen the Harrison tank mounted on top of the front tower, like mine, and also on the fender wall as well. I would wait to mount it until after the engine is in place. It makes figuring out where it fits best and the hoses work best much easier.

Cheers,

Jim

xb-60 02-21-2022 03:38 PM

Jim,

Yes, agreed, the tank won't go in until the engine is in. Too much risk of damage, and those tanks can be hard to find.

Best regards (how's that? :D)
Glen

1795 02-21-2022 04:01 PM

Glen,

It is amazing how much space one of those takes up. Have fun, starting to work on the fuel cell change over. The new 22 gallon one is a lot taller than the 15 gallon one and I have to re-adjust the bracket to fit the new one.

Best regards ;)

Jim

xb-60 02-27-2022 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, back to actual "progress" on the build...

With the seat belts in, I moved on to the seat fitment, now complete to my satisfaction, after having to fit both seats twice.

To the seat ‘story’…. I had, some time ago, drilled the mtg holes per the supplied instructions and measurements, so I thought the seat fit should be easy (half done already). Turned out it proved to be a pig of a job because so many things had to line up correctly. Specifically, for each location, holes in the 5mm thick aluminium floor (easy), then the steel washer plate in between the floor and the false floor, then the false floot, the spacer under the seat, and the tapped hole in the seat base all had to line up (very challenging). That’s just for one hole, and access to the washer plate was challenging at best. According to my log, it took 2 days. For one seat.
When I had finished fitting the seats, both seats were skewed on the ‘standard’ mtg holes. They just did not look right, so I removed both seats and drilled 3 new holes per seat (one hole per seat had to be correct, right?). Went through the same laborious procedure (and this is on my back, under the car) and finally ended up with the seats looking like they should….

Attachment 37286

Cheers!
Glen

tkb289 02-27-2022 11:25 PM

Glen,

You have indeed been busy and while the extra work is frustrating and time consuming, the final result will be worth the extra effort. The fit and finish of the seats is first rate and they look quite comfortable.

I see the conventional driver & passenger three point seatbelts along with the Crow racing harness on the drivers side. In most of the Cobras I have seen over the years, there are lap belts or lap belts & racing stye shoulder belts and some even have the five point system with the crotch strap.

Are the conventional three point seat belts part of the mandatory safety equipment, regardless of the installation of the racing harness?

Keep up the good work!

- Tim

xb-60 02-27-2022 11:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Greetings Tim,

Yes, you are correct - the 3-point belts are to keep the registration authorities happy.

For the CROW belt? ....I took some inspiration from this nice little number, ERA2136....

Attachment 37287

Cheers!
Glen