Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Cobra Build Logs (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/)
-   -   AP2289 Build log 'stage 2' (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/137611-ap2289-build-log-stage-2-a.html)

xb-60 03-01-2022 07:58 PM

2 Attachment(s)
able to post a picture of the engine, albeit upside-down.
It's been a "when we have time" job, hence slow progress.

Attachment 37292

Cheers!
Glen

edit:
Picture for Alfa02 added:

Attachment 37334

BJ's Snake 03-01-2022 08:13 PM

Take it home and build it yourself, I did and it still works!

Cheers
Brett

xb-60 03-01-2022 08:54 PM

BJ,
I've build three engines in the past ....well, actually two, but one of them I had to rebuild again within an embarrassingly short period.
Let's just say that I know what I'm good at, and what my limitations are %/
....and c'mon, you've seen my garage!

Did you say you're coming to Adelaide soon? ;)

Cheers!
Glen

BJ's Snake 03-02-2022 09:09 PM

http://www.clubcobra.com/photopost/d...um/motor10.jpg

You want one of these?

xb-60 03-03-2022 01:46 AM

Well, yes, I would. Trouble is it would be an uphill discussion at registration time.
Anyway, I've already got the gold rocker covers :D

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 03-07-2022 09:03 PM

Harrison tank fitting

3 Attachment(s)
I'm making up the brackets to fit my Harrison tank. It's a more tedious fitting exercise than I had thought (it's a Cobra, I should expect that).
It's looking like it is meant to be there though.

Here's the mounting panel for the tank bracket...

Attachment 37321

Here's the tank bracket "in manufacture" ....

Attachment 37323

and now the tank bracket sitting in place....

Attachment 37322

Cheers!
Glen

Alfa02 03-07-2022 11:11 PM

Holy Smokes Glen, I thought you posted the upside-down motor picture just for me, as you would say looks right side in this part of the world, Cheers Glen, Tom. Real like the new Avatar, Spot on Brother.

xb-60 03-08-2022 01:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alfa02 (Post 1504080)
Holy Smokes Glen, I thought you posted the upside-down motor picture just for me, as you would say looks right side in this part of the world, Cheers Glen, Tom. Real like the new Avatar, Spot on Brother.

Well, I thought I'd share it around Tom :3DSMILE:
Incidentally, the avatar is COB6008 - RHD FIA body ex-factory, and at the time the picture was taken, was Viking Blue. The Bentley driver is, from memory, Keith Schellenberg, one of the previous owners of COB6008.

Cheers!
Glen

xb-60 03-12-2022 07:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Harrison tank installed - FINALLY :JEKYLHYDE

Attachment 37335

Cheers!
Glen

Alfa02 03-12-2022 09:17 PM

Boy oh boy Glen, you must really rate to get a 'Like' from the Ol'Brentster ;) He's pretty careful about giving them out, (Like they cost you anything Brent ;)) I hardly ever get one, from him. But then I should really warrant one first :) Great job as always, Cheers Tom.

BJ's Snake 03-14-2022 07:29 PM

Are you going to use the Pace supplied Header tanks as well or just that one?

xb-60 03-14-2022 08:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Brett,
I had always intended to use a Harrison tank (in fact, I sourced mine Stateside years ago) so I haven't given much thought to the actual purpose of the two PACE tanks.
I have to admit, they do look like nice pieces of kit, but way too shiny for any of my potential purposes. I've been meaning to look in my manual to see 'why 2 tanks'? Covert onboard distillery, perhaps ? :D
I had thought I might actually use one as a windscreen washer reservoir.

I know you have used both, so what is the purpose of the second tank?

....and for those who might be thinking "what are PACE tanks" ....

Attachment 37340

Cheers!
Glen

BJ's Snake 03-14-2022 08:53 PM

Hi Glen
One is the Header Tank and the other is overflow.

Cheers

xb-60 03-16-2022 03:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
A heads up...
I have (2 off) vintage Stewart Warner 0-10psi 2⅝" fuel pressure gauges for sale

PhotoPost Classifieds - Stewart Warner 2-5/8" 0-10psi fuel pressure gauges (2 off) - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

PDUB 03-17-2022 11:14 PM

Nice...

(please PM some more pics and details/info, etc.) OK, never-mind, I see it!

Thanks!

xb-60 03-27-2022 07:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
An update on progress...
Dash needed some work. Decided awhile back that a Cole Hersee "on-off-on" switch would work for direction indicator operation, and it would seem that this solution would be OK at inspection time.
So, moved my Cole Hersee master switch from the dash panel to to an accessible spot on the passenger's side, with a bracket attached to the underside of the glovebox.
It's actually well clear of a passenger's knee, so it is quite safe. Oh, and I had to shrink my switch panel back to 3 switches only, as it was too close to the driver's knee.

Attachment 37374

So, all good with the switches, however the next problem is the speedometer fit....note the structural member going "east-west" just behind the dash panel. The tacho fits OK (just), but that gauge has less challenging rear 'topography' than the speedo %/

Here's the back of the speedometer, where it can be seen what will be interfering with that aluminium tube (the black tube is the odometer reset)....

Attachment 37375

Obviously, I new this problem would have to be addressed eventually, so when I have a solution through, I'll post it :3DSMILE:

Cheers!
Glen

Harpoon PV2 03-27-2022 08:49 PM

Hey Glen, I don't know if some kind of 90 degree adapter could be made? Is the drive right against the bar when installed? Cheers, Dennis

xb-60 03-27-2022 11:17 PM

90deg won't do it.

"I have a plan" :cool:

mvanhorn8893 03-28-2022 05:49 AM

My solution to the speedo reset cable.

Club Cobra - mvanhorn8893's Album: Speedo Bracket and Cable

xb-60 03-28-2022 04:31 PM

Thanks. My problem, however, is that the speedo cable (in particular,) and the odometer reset cable (only slightly less so), are aimed directly at the horizontal structural member (welded in, and approx. 35mm diameter).
The clearance between the rear face of the speedometer and that structural member is minimal (a couple of millimetres :JEKYLHYDE)

I'l post a picture of the solution..... when I work out what the :JEKYLHYDE :eek: :rolleyes: it is.

Cheers!
Glen

edit/progress update: I checked with my engine man yesterday for "progress". Eight mechanics would normally be in the shop; last week only two guys there. Yesterday, started out with three, and that soon dropped back to two. COVID-19, of course :(