Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois;

Congrats on the new project,I'm sure it will be first class when you finish it....I'll have to get back to Tulsa to see it...........

BTW: I've bought a lot of things from Tommy Vaughn over the years,including 2 Tremec transmissions, very good prices and service...

David
Old 05-20-2013, 07:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     

Have bought a new Mustang lately David...I thought the one I saw you drive here at the Shelby meet was a different color?

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"
Old 05-20-2013, 11:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Have bought a new Mustang lately David...I thought the one I saw you drive here at the Shelby meet was a different color?
well, the wifey did,2011 silver V-6 coupe.........and NO, you didn't see me driving it at the Shelby meet as I'm not allowed to drive it ...but I DID get to pay for it!!!!!!!!!!!
I guess she got the car a little over a year ago and I've driven it maybe 3 times for a total of less than 20 miles..........
I can't tell you how bad I'd like to turn off the traction control and get it on a road course.......this is the new 3.7 liter V-6,makes the same HP as the older 4.6L V-8 GT models!!!!!and the car handles well to boot.....a little to rough riding for me as a daily driver,but my wife loves it......

BTW: not going to be able to make the meet in Tulsa this year (again), but our usual crew is going,talked to a few of them the other day.....

David
Old 05-20-2013, 12:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

I had my Formula JBl out today, and if the touring version turns out to be anything close to the comp model, cheese will not begin to express the look on your face. That is what I discovered today, the JBl is a formula car with fenders!
Old 05-20-2013, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Maybe you can bring your hot rod to Run n Gun July 18 in St. Louis

"Let's roll"

Old 05-20-2013, 02:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not my cup of tea, but we'll see.
Old 05-21-2013, 05:12 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Back to my Build;

Since Larry Goins is finishing with Mats Competition Version I needed to get my tires and wheels to him so we can dial in the spacing etc. on my chassis.

I received my wheels from Bob Lacy at Vintage Wheel and took his wheels and my new Goodyears to have them mounted at my local tire shop. As fate would have it FedEx must have dropped one of the rear wheels because it was bent. I called Bob and he asked that I take pics and send them to him and he would get me a new wheel asap. In the meantime he asked that I take the bent wheel and have it straightened and he would pay for that plus ship me a new wheel. Three Point Wheels is chargine $125 to straighten the wheel and re-polish it. Should have it this afternoon.

At any rate sometimes things just happen and this is the first time I have ever had anything damaged in over 15 years. I can be replaced!

"Let's roll"

Old 05-29-2013, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I talked to Larry Goins yesterday and my chassis is still not finished but he tells me he should have it completed this week. All that is remaining is the bending of the roll cage and the "stitching of the body panels. After that we can drop the engine/transmission in and determine where to locate the motor mounts. Then we will pull the engine/Trans and send it to paint or powder coating (undecided at this time) because I am going to have the engine bay painted wimbeldon white like the original and the rest of the frame painted black.

The body is coming out of the mold today and so most of the fiberglass work has been done. I am sure that there will be a few other parts that will need to be made in the coming weeks such as the rear window frame, spoiler, and inner fenders. The good news is that by mid-June most of the components should be ready for assembly.

I have got most of the mechanical parts waiting for install so this build should go pretty quick (in relative terms). Of course Larry will need to have the shocks, A-Arms, Brakes, etc in stock when I am ready for the assembly. Many of those parts are Unique to the JBL construction. I am going with the adjustable sway bars and a removable side roll bar braces (the horizontal bars that go over the doors attaching to window hoop and the roof) since this Coupe will be used for street and an ocassional track day.

I am starting to get exicited but Mat Twiehaus' Competition Coupe has priority at this point since it's debut with be at the Mid America Shelby Meet. If you haven't seen some of his photo's check them out:

New JBL Coupe Build

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 05-30-2013, 07:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I took some pictures last night of the frame which is coming together nicely. By Saturday most of the components should be ready for paint or powdercoating. I hope to get those pictures posted soon. Tonight I am taking the wife to see Paul McCartney.

"Let's roll"

Old 06-07-2013, 06:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

First things first....pictures are junk and not worth posting...my fault.

Second I jumped the gun a bit. Larry Goins is concentrating on Mats Coupe as it is going to be featured at the Shelby meet next week. MY Coupe has been put on hold for a few days so therefore my build has been put on hold at least until after June 20, 2012.

I appologize to anyone that was intending to follow my build. Once Larry gets past the Mid America Shelby Meet I should be back on schedule. Larry told me that the Street version is an easy build and he can have all the components in a few short weeks. I can tell you my frame is almost finished and my body is out of the molds so once Larry can re-focus I will start my build thread.

Thank you everyone for reminding me I had not posted anything to my build thread in a while. Now you know why, and sometimes silence is not golden...I understand.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 06-07-2013, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I would be interested to hear what kind of concessions and how much of a difference between the touring chassis and comp chassis, considering performance, design, etc.
Old 06-07-2013, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I have been told. .02 differance on the skid pad. Not to much. Mark you should know, you have one of each?

Mat will have the Competition series and a big ole 427 mad man motor built by Brent Lykins and I will have the Street Version with a Ford Coyote engiine. Both engines will be runing six speed tremecs and the same rear diff. I am guessing Mat can walk off and leave me pretty easy on a straight a way but maybe not so much in the twisties.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 06-07-2013, 01:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I don't know Clois, any of the JBL cars will be tough. I know Mat would be a tough customer, I've seen him (and been in the car) drive!

Both mine are comp cars, only difference is the silver car has the pull rod rear and different engines. I know the pull rod car hooks up better and will accelerate out of the turns well, something Richard stresses the cars were designed for.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My build will start a serious chapter this Wednesday when I pickup my body. Chassis still has some small things left to do but I should have a welder come in and finish up the motor mounts and headers soon.

I plan on using a Detroit Locker w/ 3.73 gears in my IRS plus I will have the adjustable sway bars later in my build but now Larry is finishing with another customers Comp Cobra.

I may not be close to Mat's in performance at Road America but I can certainly give him a run for his money on a shorter track. I am not afraid to let it all hang out!

"Let's roll"

Old 07-01-2013, 08:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sounds like you are almost done.

I know you won't change your mind, but between my two, one has the torsen and the other the trac loc which would be similar to your detroit locker, the trac loc has a noticeable push on acceleration & turn, the torsen is smoooooth.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I went with the Torsen.....rear end should be finished Thursday but it will be awhile before I will know how much I like it or not.

"Let's roll"

Old 08-13-2013, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Mark, I trust your advise. Besides, at some point I hope to put this Coupe on the track if for no other reason than to do a thurough shake down. Most of it's life will be somewhat more tame. maybe

"Let's roll"

Old 08-13-2013, 01:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was wondering how your stuff was coming along. Keep us updated. I'm waiting for you or Mat to give me a call so I can bring my junk down. Haven't heard from Mat.

You'll like the torsen, I can tell the difference driving on the street. Not sure about the touring chassis, but the comp is probably more sensitive than the 'replica' cobra. All the little stuff adds up.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 08-13-2013, 08:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Porsche 928 S4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by vector1 View Post
I would be interested to hear what kind of concessions and how much of a difference between the touring chassis and comp chassis, considering performance, design, etc.
There are some differences in the dynamics and therein differences in feel.

The Touring chassis is not as stiff in torsion and therefore not as responsive to anti-roll bar adjustments. That is why I designed the f/r centrally mounted single blade adjustable system. (as optionally fitted)

Also this reduced stiffness is forward of the foot-box bulkhead and therefore the chassis required more camber change in the front suspension to counter the flex.

The roll centers were raised slightly relative to the CG compared to the comp chassis to reduce the load roll moment.

In essence the touring chassis will feel much more like a normal road going sports car than the comp car as the loads will build slower and the damping rates are subsequently lower as well.

It will not "Snap" or "point" when it changes directions like your comp chassis does. Rather it will turn and roll gently.

But the geometries should produce about the same lateral acceleration as the comp chassis on road tyres.

On slicks there will be a large difference indeed.

But who puts slicks on a touring car?

Richard Hudgins
Old 08-14-2013, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Me Richard, Me!!! I plan to put the coupe on the track asap.

I plan on streetching it's legs to give it a fair evaluation. Most, if not ALL other coupes are steet versions and I think the JBL version will be superior to the other mfgs. when compared on a tit for tat basis. I had rented Hallett in October but I had to cancel because I doubt if the coupe will be ready by then.

Clois

"Let's roll"