21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Send a message via AIM to Clois Harlan
Not Ranked     
Default New JBL Cobra Daytona Coupe Street Version Build

Well I guess the cat is out of the bag so here are my plans and why I chose to go with a JBL Coupe rather than any of the other options:

I have followed the build of Mat Twiehaus' Coupe and I have been very impressed with the skill, forethought and mastery of his craft that Larry Goins is putting into Mats Competition Coupe. Litterally no stone has been left unturned in the design and production of the JBL Coupe. A key member of the JBL Motorsports team is Richard Hudgins who is soaked in knowledge (first hand I might add) of aerodynamics and suspension dynamics. Mr. Hudgins spent a good portion of his lengthy career as a design engineer with the Porsche Racing Group.

I have made several visits to the JBL shop and seen the progress and carefull consideration of the placement of various components of the chassis or the fiberglass body. Larry's skill as a master builder and painter and Richards engineering skills and programming software has brought a new dynamic to the art of Kit Car building.

Over the weekend I hope to prepare my plan of attack on my new JBL Daytona Coupe build documentation.I hope my photographs and instructions will help many of our new members realize they can build their own kit car too. Since I work a full time job and most of my efforts will be either after work, weekends, or some vacation days I may take along the way, this build should give a fairly accurate time line for those truely wanting to know how long it could take. Wifes always ask those questions.

I hope to have some initial pictures of the chassis posted next week and then we will build on that. But until then I can tell you a deposit has been made, parts ordered and received and the build is about to begin.

Clois Harlan
SPF1061 and Nikvandrum like this.

"Let's roll"

"Be part of Something Good
......Leave Something Good Behind!"
from CD "Long Road Out of Eden"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 05-17-2013 at 08:25 AM..
Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

May the force be with you, Grasshopper!
Old 05-17-2013, 10:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 66 COBRA FE 427 /4SP. (HCS Coupe w/ 408 Stroker and TKO 600 -sold)
Not Ranked     

Thank you Mark. You may have to come down and check it out in June during the Mid America Shelby meet.

"Let's roll"

Old 05-17-2013, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

What engine have you decided on? A biggun?
Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

I think this is what he's talking about Brent.
AC for the Coyote
Old 05-17-2013, 03:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Congratulations Clois! I don't have personal experience with JBL. But, I've always been impressed with the engineering and attention to detail. The Coupe looks spectacular in the pictures that I've seen. I will be following the build and hope that you end up with the car of your dreams. You deserve it! John
Old 05-18-2013, 01:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clois Harlan View Post
Thank you Mark. You may have to come down and check it out in June during the Mid America Shelby meet.
I would love to do that. You sure you want to use this website for the build? I'm about 50/50 loading it anymore, come over here just to see if it will load.....
Old 05-18-2013, 07:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Clois, does the street version mean touring chassis?
Old 05-19-2013, 11:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thank you John, I think JBL is of the highest quality and Larry Goins is a first class guy. By the way John we all miss you and your creations. Meet up with us again if life permits.

Mark the Street Version is the same as the Touring Chassis but I will be adding a few things to make life on the track a bit more managable. I think I will be able to get around the track okay.

I doubt if I can keep up with Mat Twiehaus in his Brent Lykins monster engine and the true competition version of the JBL Coupe but if I can get in front of him he will have some trouble getting around me....

"Let's roll"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 05-19-2013 at 02:57 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Brent I decided on a Coyote Crate 5.0 crate engine. I was given a little incentive to do this but I have no regrets and had contemplated this for some time.

"Let's roll"

Old 05-19-2013, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

So here goes:\

I placed my order and presented my deposit with Larry Goins on April 20, 2013 and he assured me my chassis would be ready in approximately 5 weeks. I chose to go with the Stage 1 or 2 (not sure) kit which JBL provides all the parts and I do all the assembly.

Given that timeline I placed my order with Ford Racing the following Monday and to my surprice my 5.0 Coyote Engine arrive delivered to my garage on Friday. With my kit I ordered the valve cover and intake cover pkg, Starter, Alternator kit, Flywheel, Radiator Hose, and computer pkg. Total Cost was $8400. Plus, I received a real nice Invecta Chrongraph watch wich had a price tag on it of $355 as a gift. Actually a nice watch.

I also place my order with Summit Racing for the bits I knew I would need: External Fuel Pump, Fuel Regulator, An Fittings, Factory Ford Bolt kits for the Flywheel, Bellhousing, and starter. Total cost $335.00

The next order I place was with my friend Bob Lacy of Vintage Wheel for some authentic FIA Coupe wheels (18"x 10" rear and 18" X8.5" Fronts) and I had him paint the centers a wimbledon white. Included were the knock adaptors and spinners. Total cost to my door $2600.00

So now I need some sticky street tires so I go onto Tire Rack and found they had some 285/40 X18 Goodyear F1 Suprecar tires on sale for $159 each and some 255/35X18 Goodyear F1 Supercar tires on sale for $199 each. Plus with 4 tires Goodyear gave me an $80 Visa Card Rebate. Cool!

I needed a transmission so I logged onto Craigs list and the first thing that pops up is a Complete TR6060 6 speed out of a 2012 Mustang GT 500 with 4200 miles. I called the guy immediately and since he wouldn't take anything over the phone I had my daughter who lives in Plano get $2400 cash and take it to him. When I picked up the transmission the next day it came with everything: Flywheel, Clutch, Pressure Plate, Hyd Throwout Bearing, Shifter, Boot, and output flange for the driveshaft.

Following are a few pictures of my bits and pieces;

"Let's roll"

Old 05-19-2013, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

A few Pictures of the drivetrain and some of the parts I have ordered:

"Let's roll"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 05-19-2013 at 01:26 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 12:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

and a few more p ictures: PG'][/url]

"Let's roll"

Old 05-19-2013, 12:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As you can see in the above pictures the engine and all it's components were nicely packaged and came with a 2year 24000 mile warrenty.

Hopefully, this build will inspire those of you that want to build a kit but are not sure of all the hidden costs or effort that is involved with a build such as this. Also, IMO the JBL Touring version kit is the absolute best bang for your buck. Depending on your options you can get started with the complete kit for under $30,000. JBL and Larry Goins is a top tier kit car company whether you choose the Cobra or their New Daytona Coupe. The very best components, manufacturing skill and the support of an engineering legend such as Richard Hudgins is a great team to do business with for your dream car.

"Let's roll"

Old 05-19-2013, 12:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As I go through this build I will gladly answer any questions you may have regarding the build or my choice of parts or Kit Car Manufacturer.

Here is some advise for anyone that has never built a kit car before:

Get your contract exactly as you want it with dates and amounts. Most builders will ask for a good portion of the build as a down payment with the balance due on delivery. That's normal but never make your final payment until you receive every part you have been promised. It is also normal for certain delays so allow your builder some flexability but remember a builders promises are only as good as their actions. It is your money so protect yourself. Fortunately, most of those buillders I am referring to have fallen by the waste side. Those builders that remain in our hobby such as the Kirkhams, RCR, JBL, Superformance, Hurricane, Backdraft, Factory Five, ERA, and a few others are honest and want you happy and talking to your friends.

So why do I say this? I was a victim once before and I am very careful with my hard earned money. I also don't want someones dreams to become a nightmare. I would like our hobby to continue for a long time. We are some of the best people I have ever met. I have made so many friends through this hobby and I would expect you will too.

Clois Harlan
Trubble likes this.

"Let's roll"

Last edited by Clois Harlan; 05-19-2013 at 12:46 PM..
Old 05-19-2013, 01:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

In case any of you want to know how I expect my JBL Coupe to turn out? He is a picture of a die cast I bought from my good friend David Williams who not only owns Fastlane Cars in St. Louis but also drives one FAST small block cobra. So if you are in the neighborhood drop by and tell David I said hello. Thank you David!

"Let's roll"

Old 05-19-2013, 03:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft #1058
Not Ranked     

This is awesome...I have that engine and have been flamed here several times. You give me hope for our hobby. Look forward to your posts. CHEERS...Bill
Old 05-19-2013, 05:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks Bill,

No one should get flamed for their efforts in one of these cars. I have heard there are some that are running Chebbie engines. But that is just a rumor.

I guess if someone really doesn't like my choice of engines I will just have to consider it a Retromod Daytona Coupe. I have the highest respect for everyone that builds a kit car. Each are unique and special to it's owner. I have a Cobra that has a fairly original drive train: original 1963 427 center oiler bored .015 over with an original toploader 4 speed and a 9" rearend. But, I did go with some modern internals and aluminum heads. It's all good.

Clois

"Let's roll"

Old 05-20-2013, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

That will be a real fun ride Clois.....congratulations. I like to see other people get new toys.
Old 05-20-2013, 05:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just received a PM regarding the Hyd TOB I am using. As I said I am able to use the complete Mustang GT 500 Clutch Package but since IMO the TOB is the weak link in that part of the clutch package I decided to replace it with a new Ford Slave Cylinder (TOB) and keep the original as a spare. Sorry to have left that out. By the way I found my best price was thru Tommy Vaughn Ford in Houston. $179 + 8.00 shipping.

"Let's roll"