23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2003, 06:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289-FIA sold, sniff
Not Ranked     

Arm restraints, hotties??? I don't know if my wife will like me going to something like this.

Rick
Old 06-18-2003, 07:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

JW, received my invite (I assume it includes Larry W. also), thx.

I'll take a set of them thar restraints (not the buckle-back jacket restraints Spidy requires.... ) since you've offered.

I'm really looking forward to this, thanks again for the invite. Btw, I'm bringing my GF with me......(she's a feisty little Tx redneck), hope that's okay....

Ed, Jim, Ruble, what hotel(s) have you guys booked your rooms at? Between traveling and work, I've been too busy to book rooms yet, I hope I haven't waited too long to find something decent.

Mike
Old 06-18-2003, 08:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Mike,
A number of us are staying at the LaQuinta Inn in Midtown Savannah.
6805 abercorn St
Savannah, GA 31405
(912) 355-3004
We will arrive Monday around 2:00 and then head over to Johans party.
If we can, we will be dropping our cars/trailers off at the track beforehand.
Tom Jones is headed up to the st Augustine area Friday night to see some friends.
We will be meeting him somewhere on I-95 Monday morning.
Our plans are to leave Tampa at 5:30 and head up I-75 and then over to I-95.
If you think there is a better route than I-75 to I-10 to I-95, please let me know.
Send me an e-mail if you want.

Thanks,
Ed
Old 06-18-2003, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Ed,
Thx for the info, I'll try the LaQuinta and see if I can get a room there also. I-75 to I-10 to I-95 is probably your best bet. I-10 will put you onto I-95 right in downtown Jax, no convenient place to stop on the side of the road to meet Tom though. You'll have to get further north on I-95 to do that, I would suggest the Jax Airport exit (old exit 127).

I'll be heading north on Monday morning also, I'll call or e-mail you to let you know what time. I'll try to coordinate with you guys and join the caravan. See you soon, buddy.

Mike
Old 06-18-2003, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just ordered my arm restraints yesterday-found a great source in Ron, owner of Discovery Motor Sports in fayetteville, GA. Great prices and he is a fellow road racer!

CARZ has an event at the new Barber track east of Birmingham, AL. Autoweek said "possibily best track in Noth America" in a recnt article. Want to go down and see/drive it.

AgingG: A TURBO 944: I believe tha's against the rules....lemme look here..........cb
Old 06-18-2003, 09:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

ps: CARz/Barber date: July 19, 2003. Tires should still be warm fm the Willis Onehundred.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

CB--

Suggest you hav a fresh set of tires for Barber-- you will use them up at Roebling if you drive hard. I'm coming with two cars and 8 sets of hoosiers (six sets with a couple of cycles on them and two sets new.) for the 4 days. Very optomistic, since that assumes that the cars will RUN the whole time so that aI can wear out the tires--very iffy in that heat!

Mike-

I like to stay closer to the track, and the best hotel close-in is the Jameson Inn at Pooler.We will roll in on Friday night and stay through the 2nd. Its new and clean. Avoid the Comfort inn if possible.

CB- the turbo will not be sorted, I don't expect it to be any faster than my non-turbo car at best.

Rick

Last edited by Agingracefully; 06-18-2003 at 02:00 PM..
Old 06-18-2003, 10:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Rick,

Thx for the heads-up on the Jameson, I'll check it out.

Mike
Old 06-18-2003, 11:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just my opinion here on the barber track, but I like Roebling much better. At roebling, cars enter the straight in 4th or 5th gear, while at Barber, cars enter the straights in 2nd gear or possibly 3rd.
Barber is a tight track all the way around, and would be a blast in a very light (1100 lbs. or so) car, but the heavier cars have problems in the tight corners. Barber gets #1 ranking for overall track cosmetics, etc, but for a high powered heavy car, Roebling actually offers higher straight speeds than Road Atlanta.
I do plan on going to the CARZ event, just not sure what car to take.
Old 06-18-2003, 04:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Old car with 6 banger
Not Ranked     

John,
Is there anyone down there that will mount tires on Monday? I'm beginning to question the tread on my 911 after I run the POC.

DC
Old 06-18-2003, 05:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Dave-

There are a couple of tire shops in the pooler area that should be used to handling good rims. I doubt that they will have nitrogen, but I'll ask my race shop, Autometrics, if there is a savannah shop that is so equipped.

Rick
Old 06-19-2003, 04:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft Racing #223
Not Ranked     

Mike,
We chose the LaQuinta Midtown hotel because we are staying thru the 5th.
Renee wants to do some sightseeing while we are up here and some shopping on River walk area, etc...
It's the price we pay for going to the track.
Renee is actually looking forward to the event, or maybe it's the shopping???

See you guys soon.

Ed
President, DSCC
Old 06-19-2003, 06:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Was a follow-up comment in latest Autoweek (with a new Ford GT on the cover and lots of good for articles)about Barber: The writer commented that there were no runn off areas and Armco very close to the track: That's a bite! maybe I was expecting too much for 54 Million $$.
Road Atlanta is getting so expensive for lapping days with Panoz: Last quoted $325! Thought more competition for RA would be good. I do want to see Barber: Will take the Miata (just got a trailer!).

AGR: Have two sets of tires: This is much more expensve than go karts: $100 a set of 4 and they would last the season.

Does anyone have opinions on the tire softener they have for older tires? It was illegal in karting so I figured that it was good.

JW: Gene Felton has an impressiove record: I had no idea.

BUT I was the one who took second over all for the season in the over 40 (year old) class at the Barnsville GA road race kart track My stock Briggs and Stratton (true) was turning 6200 rpms at the end of the straigtaway. Wore my "Briggs & Stratton Motorsports" patch on my driving suit proudly!

BTW, my 2 1/2 year grandaughter Emma is looking forward to meeting Willis!

Cant wait! cb __________________________________________________ _________
Old 06-19-2003, 06:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

PS: SERIOUSLY: JW: There is yellow electrical tape available for marking cars. Narrow but sticks well. Could double it up. Avaiable fm Home Depot. Use it a lot for marking circuits etc. cb
Old 06-20-2003, 04:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I am bringing plenty of tires to the track....!
Lola 1 sits on 4 and has 4 spare
comes in 18 wheeler
lola 2 sits on 4 and shares 4 spare with Lola 1
comes in 4 wheel trailer with a spare
cup car sits on 4 and has 3 sets spare
spares come on tire rack with 4 wheels so it rolls around
pit bike has 2 wheels
comes in 4 wheel trailer with a spare
tow vehicle has 4 wheels and a spare
blah, blah it is over 80 tires , what are the chances of having tire trouble on this trip ?

Chip, glad you brought that up, as there are no kids or dogs or spectators (only pit crew)allowed at the track. It took an act of congress to get Willis in last year, and that was during lunch !
Old 06-20-2003, 05:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Johan--

They let tons of kids in, its just tht they are running around in old mens' bodies!

You win on the tire race, but I forgot to mention the pair around my middle--

Rick
Old 06-20-2003, 10:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Emma will be at the beach during track time. She hopes to meet Willis at one of the other functions, She has a busy scedule (sand castles, naps) but she would like to meet Willis. She might want to tell him of the Wall MArt Snowman she recieved for her first Christmas delivered by Grampa's (me) Cobra replica. Was properly belted in in his red racing harnesses. Or when she had a birthday and all the guys were bored until Grampa gave everybody a ride around the neighbor hood in the Cobra rep. The guys said that it was the best kids birthday party ever and please invite them back next year.

10 days and counting..... cb
Old 06-22-2003, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Who will be there at Robling next Sunday? My "crew" has to work real job and I may need help gettig at this stuff on: Neck brace/helmut/arm restraints/harness/new driving suit! Will be glad to hlp others, always. Wow, what a bunch of "stuff". cb
Old 06-22-2003, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've heard a rumor that the HOOTERS girls will bne there on Tuesday ! Of course, I've also heard a rumor that I'm sexy, but only to bumpster.
Old 06-23-2003, 02:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

Johan -

I've studied Roebling Road and run that track in my mind dozens of times over the past few months. Sadly, I now know that I will not be able to join you and the rest of the gang to run the Willis 100 for real next week. I'm now taking ten days off work to care for a relative recovering from surgery, and I won't be able to extend my "vacation" to include next week. I hope to join you next time you get together. Thanks for offering me the opportunity to participate in this year's event. And please say Happy Birthday to Willis for me.

Tom Powell #66
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor