Club Cobra Gas-N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2010, 07:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

More progress on the color front ...

I received an envelope today from Diane at Connecticut Custom with a nice note and (2) 5" x 8" color sample cards. One was Guardsman Blue the other Indigo Blue. Both very nice, but we prefer the Indigo.

I will need to find out from Diane, which 'Indigo' it is ... the Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl 8P4 - PPG 5775 or GM Indigo 9792/39 - PPG 4717 (SPF color?) or something else all together. We also went out this afternoon to look at blue cars, in a few dealership lots.

One thing I have now, is a greater understanding of how light (especially direct light) can change the paint color range of a car, especially on a curved surface. It seems to me that the Lexus Indigo Ink Pearl 8P4 has a wider dynamic range ( for lack of a better term ) of dark to light than the Indigo blue I have seen on Superformence cars. My guess is that it's the amount, and color of metal in the paint. Not that one is better that the other, just that they are different. Other paints, like Navy Blue with little or no metal, do not seem to have as much of this dynamic range of color shift.

So what it's down to now is I have the basic shade of blue I like, it's how much color shift do I want. It's fun doing the homework, I'll soon have this settled and then it's onto the final decisions for the motor and transmission. Stay tuned!
Old 02-13-2010, 12:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Time for an update:

A few weeks ago, we finally settled on a color. After a lot of back and forth between shades of blue and metallic paint vs solid paint, I went with the Indigo metallic ... which as it turns out, was my gut feel first choice from the get go. No stripes ... just rich looking blue, should look nice!

Here is the paint code

GM 2001
PPG
Indigo Met
WA9792

It appears to be a fairly close match to SPF Indigo Blue ... but I won't know for sure until I get the car and try a side by side comparison ... I am sure Lane or Jerome or Dave can help me out I don't have any photos yet, but hope to soon. I got a call from Walt and Diane at Connecticut Custom this week that the car has painted and is now being polished, then it's back to ERA to get in line for the phase of the build process. Both Walt and Diane have been great to work with.

This has probably been the hardest decision so far, as many had said it would be ... too many good choices. I look forward to seeing it soon and continuing with the project. Thanks for all of the advice and suggestions, it was also one area where my family had some good input as well, which is very cool.

What I am really looking forward to, is quickly glancing at the paint glistening in the flickering sunlight, as I follow the BACC guys to Alice's restaurant, along Hwy 35 on the twisting undulating road, in and out of the trees between shade and sun, pulling out of a corner in 2nd gear, then back on the brakes as the pipes are burbling from the engine overrun, turning into the next corner ... but I am getting ahead of myself
Old 02-14-2010, 06:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Congratulations on picking a color; your car is going to look great I'm sure. It's all easy after that!

-Ray
Old 02-14-2010, 10:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2039
Not Ranked     
Default Indigo Blue

The GM Indigo Blue on my ERA FIA (2039) looks too purple in the bright sun. Maybe it was the type of paint (Tony painted it) but watch out if you want a real dark blue all the time. I think there are better ones out there.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

What happened to Pink with Orange stripes?
Old 02-14-2010, 10:24 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post
You can't go by the "name" of the color. My color actually has the word "beige" in it and when I told Walt at CCC that I wanted my Cobra painted beige he told me he would do it, but first insisted that "I think it over" for a little while before I gave him the final go-ahead.
Old 02-14-2010, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 - #783
Not Ranked     

http://jalopnik.com/5428939/beige-is-the-new-vanilla

ERA Registry Map

If you have an ERA and want to be listed, contact me with your info and I'll put it up. The minimum info I need is chassis number and location. The rest is up to you. The most information needed would be: chassis number, body type, city, name, CC nickname, and email address.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:43 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Exactly my point. My wife's got a beige car, and its color doesn't look anything like my Cobra. I think they just used the word "beige" in the color to make it more appealing. But, back on point, I've seen dark blues that look purple in certain lights; reds that look orange, etc. Plus, some car colors, when viewed through sun glasses in direct sun light, will have an absolutely different color. If that stuff's important, then people need to view their potential colors in different lights and with their sunglasses on and off.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ack fia View Post
The GM Indigo Blue on my ERA FIA (2039) looks too purple in the bright sun. Maybe it was the type of paint (Tony painted it) but watch out if you want a real dark blue all the time. I think there are better ones out there.

You bring up an excellent point, and are right about the purple. A few of the Indigo samples that I looked at had a tinge of purple and for a lot of people, that is exactly what they are looking for. Other Indigo cars and samples I looked at had a decidedly blue hue to them when in bright sunlight.

I actually looked at a lot of different paints on cars and on paint chip samples. There also seems to be slightly different interpretations of a color based on the name, and both Guardsman Blue and Indigo are two such good examples.

It really comes down to the actual paint code (PPG code in my case) and not the paint name. Although I have not seen the car yet, I know that CCC ordered the correct PPG number and would assume the PPG paint manufacturing process is very consistent.

The bottom line is that the car is painted and I won't absolutely know for sure it's exactly what I envisioned, until I actually see the car.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by *13* View Post

I thought it was Orange with Pink stripes ... make up your mind
Old 02-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Exactly my point. My wife's got a beige car, and its color doesn't look anything like my Cobra. I think they just used the word "beige" in the color to make it more appealing. But, back on point, I've seen dark blues that look purple in certain lights; reds that look orange, etc. Plus, some car colors, when viewed through sun glasses in direct sun light, will have an absolutely different color. If that stuff's important, then people need to view their potential colors in different lights and with their sunglasses on and off.
I have seen exactly the same thing, the perceived color can change depending on a lot of external factors and the 'name' can be more of a guide than a precise description of the color.
Old 02-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #185, Shelby Alloy 482; sold
Not Ranked     

Tim, I agree. I once bought a 1983 911 and color was Chiffon, which was a beautiful off white. I saw it the first time in the early morning. I went back in the late afternoon and put a deposit on it and when home. That night I started worrying about the green tint I thought I saw that afternoon. The next day they had the thin green shade raised again! Silly me.
Old 02-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well here it is ...

This photo was taken just before the car was loaded onto the truck at Connecticut Custom and headed back to ERA. Walt & Diane did a great job and the color is just what I was looking for

It's back at ERA and I am working with Peter on the remaining details of the build ... a few more decisions yet to be made. It's starting to seem a lot more real now, can't wait until it's assembled into a roller, then put on a truck and headed out West!
prp289 likes this.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Well DAAAAAYYYYUUUUUMMMMMM, that's pretty.
Congrats, the journey's almost done... 4 more months buddy!!!!
Let me know when the big day is... we can have a "coming home" party at your house!!!!
Old 02-24-2010, 09:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 1964 289->Webers
Not Ranked     

Looks Great! Love the old brick building as a background also
Old 02-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkb289 View Post
Well here it is ...

This photo was taken just before the car was loaded onto the truck at Connecticut Custom and headed back to ERA. Walt & Diane did a great job and the color is just what I was looking for

It's back at ERA and I am working with Peter on the remaining details of the build ... a few more decisions yet to be made. It's starting to seem a lot more real now, can't wait until it's assembled into a roller, then put on a truck and headed out West!
Looks awesome Tim!!

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 02-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Real purty.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks guys! ... I am looking forward to seeing it with the grill.

Rodney ... you will not be surprised to hear that I am debating FIA wheels with white or black centers & polished rim OR Torque Thrust D, black spokes with polished rim ... hmmmmm
Old 02-25-2010, 02:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: era 289 FIA #2112
Not Ranked     

Very nice indeed.

m-a
Old 02-25-2010, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #775
Not Ranked     

Great color, and congratulations on moving on to the next step of the build!

Ray