Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 03-05-2001, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

Hello,

I am considering a Shelby 427FE as a powerplant. Any stories out there?
My options are to have Shelby build it,
have another shop build it, or build myself.
(OK, my brother build it. He's a Ford mechanic and I push paperwork all day.)

Thanks guys!
Old 03-06-2001, 01:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 427 Side-Oiler
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up

There is a guy in Santa Maria with a boatload(offshore)of FE experience.Don't give Shelby a dime more than is absolutely nessecary.E-mail me if you want his number.
Old 03-06-2001, 05:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-Aluminum 484 FE
Not Ranked     
Have Gessford Machine build you one. He has built a number of them and I am assuming you are speaking of the aluminum block. I think they have built over ten of them. I have one that I built myself and will be glad to share info with you. Should have it running here in a few days. 13-1 compression, Kuntz heads, Velasco crank, Oliver rods, external wet sump system,roller cam, Jesel rocker system, Pro Systems Dominator on a Rich Pickles Blue Thunder, McCleod clutch system, 484 CI, Mezeiere water pump,MSD Digital 6 Plus, Jerico tranny, could have bought a new car for what I have in the engine.
wt
Old 03-06-2001, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
If it were me, I'd have a local guy who knows FE engines build the motor. This way you can check daily or more frequently, the progress and what is going on. I strongly recommend not having an engine built by long distance. You never know how it was done and if there's any problem, it's difficult by long distance. When I had mine built, I had problems with low, low oil pressure. We had to takeit apart and find out the problem, which turned out to be the new oil pump. If I did this long distance, forget it, it would have never been resolved.
Also, the 427 is the only way to go.

Good Luck.
Old 03-06-2001, 06:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hi GUMBALL....
Take you time making this decision about the Shelby Aluminum 427 Block. You need a very good machine shop to help with the details and ensuring all the components are perfect. Wayne has gone way above the call of duty suggesting our company...but I would be glad to offer any advice I can to help with your project. We have these running in Kit Cars with sticks and automatics.... Expect to spend over 23K for the basics and 28-33K for the better street performance engine and 45-50K if you in Wayne's range....
Just for some basic information the Block is about 5200$, the appropiate Shelby head studs (Required) are 350$ and everything else is a function of what your looking for even if you don't go with the Shelby Signature series block. The parts add up very fast and cutting corners with this Aluminum Block is not as easy as with an iron block. Many small detail can't be over looked with the assembly of this engine.
If you want to look at some images take a quick look at http://www.gessford.com/cobraparts/fblocks.htm
George

[This message has been edited by GEORGE ANDERSON (edited 03-06-2001).]

[This message has been edited by GEORGE ANDERSON (edited 03-06-2001).]
Old 03-06-2001, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     
Cobralee,
I could not disagree with you any more!! I am a classic example of doing exactly opposite of what you recommend. I had my engine's machine work done by George Anderson of Gessford Machine. That is exactly 1700 miles away from me.

Wouldn't you say it is more important who the builder is and his reputation rather than where he is located?
Don't forget someone's neighbor is someone else's distant cousin.

My local builder(s) couldn't care less about my needs. About checking up on the engine because he is nearby, big deal!! What is it that I am checking up on?

If I knew enough to check up on someone else I would be doing it myself.

My closest engine shop is 12 miles away, in truth he might as well have been 12,000 miles away. He couldn't give a rat's as* about an FE, or a Cobra. I am not all that sure he knew enough about the idiosynchrosies of an FE.

Before you assume your nearest builder is your best bet, think again. If I built another one it would still be with the same guy, same shop. Who do you know that would hold your hand step by step and walk you thru some silly part of the assembly that I didn't understand at 11.30pm on a Sunday?

About accessebility to the shop, I visited them before, during and after the work was done. I don't know too many machine shops who would welcome you to spend 3 days in their shop and then invite you to their home for dinner after a hard days work.

I am usually active on the forum whining, complaining, and stirring things up. This time I have something good to say about someone, and by god, I will say it. I don't care where they are located.

Boy...do I feel better. Now I'll take a deep breath!

Hey George, this should be good for another shipment of steaks...otherwise I'll tell everyone how you messed up my engine. I can't get any more than 500HP out of it.Maybe I should go ahead and put all 8 sparkplugs in!! That may help.

TURK

[This message has been edited by Turk (edited 03-07-2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 04:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary-Aluminum 484 FE
Not Ranked     
Turk-have you been feeling OK since dinner at George's? You haven't been mooing or anything? The reason I ask is that the steaks George serves customers are not the famous Nebraska ones he brags about, but are imported from his Cobra contacts in England because he gets a better deal than buying locally. Hey thats what Rich Pickles tells me.

wt
Old 03-07-2001, 07:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Thanks for the info guys. I will take it
all in and advise the outcome.

It seems I have had more decisions to make over a Cobra replica than in the previous 35-years of my life combined. At least these are FUN decisions!

Thanks again for your help.
Old 03-07-2001, 01:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Turk...those steaks from Ray's FireSide were Nebraska Thru & Thru!!!!And you had two the first trip at Shannon's (28oz T-Bones from the grill and two from Ray's the second trip (1) filet 16oz and (1) New York 16oz (I helped) the second time.....I actually spent 176$ sending this customer Steaks from Custom Pack direct to his GM DealerShip in CA....500$ worth of Beef!!! And we had the 'We pay the Freight Policy" little did I know UPS red would be this much.....It's a darn good thing you're a nice guy!!!!!! Now for old wtcobra and his thoughts on the English connection.....my pal Mike Viney (Hawk Cobra) flew all the way here and all he got was a great Murphy Burger from The Wagon Wheel around the corner.......TURK.....you got the Steaks, England got the Murphy Burger and you all got a great tour of Hastings!
Today we resolved the route for the First Hastings Road Race for 2002...we will close the downtown streets and have a one mile road course in my town!!! I make the rules you get the T-Bones!
George
Turk.....no more steaks unless your posts are at least 500 words or more.....
Wayne...if you and Rich Pickles don't make it to Heartland Park in Topeka June 6/10-6/12 for the Mid-America Challenge you will never never get a real Nebraska Corn Feed Steak!!!!
George
Sorry Gumball (John) the Shelby 427 Block is just another engine and without the steaks it just isn't worth buying from any one else!!! 25 16oz t-bones will make a difference!
Buy Local and but American!
We bribe all of our customers with real Beef!
George

[This message has been edited by GEORGE ANDERSON (edited 03-07-2001).]
Old 03-07-2001, 02:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
George,

Thanks for your time on the phone. You gave me much to consider. BTW- You're not the first to entice with Nebraska beef. I had a supplier out of Norfolk send it every year our company met quota. (It worked every year...GREAT BEEF!)

I'll be in touch.

John
Old 03-07-2001, 05:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Turk- I'm glad you disagree, because there can't be one "right" reason for everyone. I live in southern california where there are numerous engine builders, many who know FE engines in and out. I'm sure George is very knowledgeable, but unless he gave me an unbelieveable price to build an engine, which also compensated for shipping, I wouldn't have him do mine. If I were to have a long distance engine builder, I would do exactly what you did, fly out and visit and talk with him. To me, that goes a long way to determine ones character. Obviously, George's character seems very much intact.

Thanks,

Ron
Old 03-07-2001, 06:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     
Darn,
I can't start a fight as hard as try!

Cobralee
That is very gratious of you to allow me to disagree with your plans even though it is YOUR engine we are talking about. You need to be comfortable with the people doing your work. I suppose my wants and needs are not much different than yours.
I wanted to be able to see them work on my engine. Couldn't find anyone else closer as accomodating and open as Gessford.

I was simply looking for a shop that did not greet me with a sign
"OUR INSURANCE PROHIBITS CUSTOMERS BEYOND THIS POINT"
or how about the one

"SHOP RATE $50.00 per HR.
$60.00 per HR. IF YOU WATCH
$70.00 per HR. IF YOU HELP.
I found that and more at Gessford. I don't have the knowledge to assess their work, my decision was solely based on our pre commitment phone conversations. With absolutely ZERO assurance from me that he would get my business, George was very generous answering every question I had and then some.
If I wanted 5 minutes of his time, I got 20.
Not too often a machine shop would call you and initiate the conversation that would last 30 minutes, and often at late hours of the evening.

I guess that was the thrust of my endorsement of George Anderson. Plus it did not hurt that he himself is a Cobra owner and very active in Run and Gun and often a good source help to everyone on the forum whether they are his customers or not.

You are wrong about one thing, I did NOT fly. He took all my money and all I could do was drive to drop the engine and drive to pick it up.

Neah...it ain't that far, it was on my way when I drove to CT. to see my friends at ERA!!!

ps.You have Ron Miller in your neck of the woods, and I don't know that they get any better than that, but I also don't know if they'll let you hang around their shop and ask lots of questions. I know they are the FE authority, however I just got a return call TODAY for the oil pump drive shaft I ordered 7 months ago!!

WTCOBRA
Wayne,
You are so lucky, that you are so close to George's shop. About the Nebraska beef...he ain't kidding. I am 5'10" and weigh 170 lbs. I polished of more meat than they have seen a city slicker eat for years.
They were getting ready to sell tickets to the locals, just to watch me eat!
George said he'd never seen anyone eat as much as he can drink!.

TURK

Old 03-08-2001, 05:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Hey Turk.....NO ONE CAN EAT BEEF LIKE YOU CAN!!!!
cobralee...your right about finding someone you feel comfortable with...it doesn't make any difference where they are... you just have to trust them to work for you! I'd die to be in CA where you live and have the access to these great engine/car/hotrod people....I know Turk thinks we spent lots of time with him and we certainly did...it all depends on the customer and their attitude...we love to do these engines and I'd have to say it's important to me because I love my own Midstates Cobra and it's been really great to actually work with people building other brands of Cobras!! I didn't know many of these manufactures until I started going to the Run & Guns starting in 1995...and now I've been introduced to so many really great people I'd do about anything to help someone building a Cobra...Turk knows this and really did a remarkable job doing his own engine.....It's really great to see someone do all this research and work on their own...Turk learned lots of lessons the hard way...he made some mistakes and rolled with the punches and corrected things and went on....
I never knew when the next call was coming and what the question would be...in fact Turk taught us a few things that I just took for granted.....So I think the important thing is just like you suggested....know who you're dealing with, work with them closely have a great time doing the project and the end product will be a success!!
Regards, george
Old 10-13-2001, 11:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default good shops

while at the goodguys car show in pleasanton i was in the factory ford area looking at the crate motors when i heard a guy asking about a good holly carb tuner the factory rep said with out hesitation the best guy is a engine builder in suisun city named Tony Oddo at TOE preformance products I have driven by his shop and pesonally seen greg Pickkets racing van and Bill Elliots there too! I had never met the guy until last friday when my car had a slight miss in it i went down too see him .. What a cool guy he took me back in the shop and showed me around he said he has built close to 500 427's!!! on the bench was a boss hemi 429! next to it was a classic stock book with bobby allisons 1975 torino this was the actual engine! he he also showed me a number of other rare and high dollar power plants including a couple original cobra motors when i looked at his bench all the parts from a disasembled motor were arranged in perfect order as if to be on the cover of a hot rod magizine or somthing the guy isent a slam bammer his motors are all quality components
but hey the bottom line is YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR! by the way the 429 makes 650 hp!!! that would make your cobra coil up! if you would like to get a hold of him his shop # is 707 425 2996 bring a hankerchief you'll be drooling..
Old 10-17-2001, 11:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Almost finished

Ed,

Thanks for the reply. However, since March, I decided to purchase the Shelby Alum 427 and put it together with my brother (the REAL mechanic). He tells me where to wrench and I wrench. With his mechanical skills, my wrenching, and a LOT of help from some of you at Club Cobra, it goes to the dyno next week. (fingers crossed)

Regards,

John
Old 10-26-2001, 07:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Previous ERA owner on break
Not Ranked     

Talking with George Anderson is an excellent idea. You might also wish to talk with Bill Parham at Southern Automotive. He has built several of the Shelby block aluminum engines, and from what I understand, did some of the initial testing for Shelby when the blocks first came out. Bill is also an owner and Superformance dealer, and he has numerous engines taking part in the annual meets. He has some info on some of the early failures with the Shelby blocks, which I understand had to do with insufficient strength of the lower webbing areas.

I agree completely with Turk about it being far more important to have a reputable, knowledgeable shop build the engine, rather than a local shop. Having made the mistake of having a local "expert" rebuild my own engine, only to have it suffer a massive lower end failure 1100 miles later, finally confirmed to even my hard head that it's better to get the experts and deal with the long distance than to try to have unqualified people screw up an expensive piece of hardware. If you are fortunate enough to live by a knowledgeable builder, more power to you, but do your homework very carefully and talk to some of his customers to see if they are satisfied. Given that you are talking about a $20k+ investment, you want to be sure the builder can really do what he brags about. My local mechanic and I didn't do that three years ago and the lawsuits just recently got settled.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: