Go Back   Club Cobra > Club GT40 Areas (MKI - MKII - MKIII - MKIV) > GT40 Talk
User Name
Password
Club Cobra Home Register FAQ For Sale Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 06-22-2016, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby CSX4005LA, Roush 427IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernica View Post
Lots of bravado their Sir. Especially for a newbie. Might want to check that at the door.
We have a name for that here...
Sort of like every 16 year old on the planet that knows 10x more than his parents.

I'll take 3170's advice any day of the week any week of the year. You might want to do a little search here to establish his credentials.

He's obviously not looking for advice, just an endorsement. After this I suggest we let him do what he wants and have a progress report in a year.

Last edited by twobjshelbys; 06-22-2016 at 08:14 PM..
Old 06-23-2016, 02:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNCO View Post
.....I don't dislike modern 911s but to say they are bluechip investments is silly.
you can be sure that nearly every tiny 911, with low amount on the speedo, raises his worth, and the special series like turbo, turbo-s, gt3, gt3rs, rs, r, classic, anniversary, etc. sooner and higher
Old 06-23-2016, 05:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

911s are rather rotund when parked beside a GT40. One considering a GT40 would be well served to see if they can actually get in and out of one.

http://image.motortrend.com/f/auto-n...white-gt40.jpg
Old 06-23-2016, 05:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobjshelbys View Post
Sort of like every 16 year old on the planet that knows 10x more than his parents.
Look what the kids did this time. The current crop of modern performance vehicles will lose their relevancy like a 6 month old Lady Gaga song in the near future. All that will be left then will be the true classics and EVs that well destroy what is the current concept of performance. Old people smell funny...

Student-Built Electric Car Crushes 0-60 MPH Record With Unbelievable 1.5-Second Run
Old 06-23-2016, 06:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby

Quote:
911s are rather rotund when parked beside a GT40. One considering a GT40 would be well served to see if they can actually get in and out of one.

wow, that is really a small car, has anyone a picture with a gt40 and a chevy suburban ?
Old 06-23-2016, 08:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Werk77 289FIA

Keep the 911...

Experience not Opinion here...

DRB GT40 MK1 red #49- sold
FF5 Mk4 #7733 302/T5/IRS - dark blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #7812 427/TKO/IRS - Guardsman Blue - sold
FF5 MK4 #8414 501/TKO600/48IDA Ollie the Dragon #91 - sold
FF5 Daytona Coupe 347/TKO/IRS Homage CSX2299 Viking Blue - sold
SPF 2063
Old 06-23-2016, 09:14 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Oh BS. My GT40 four years into ownership is worth more today by a wide margin than what I bought it for in 2012. I don't dislike modern 911s but to say they are bluechip investments is silly.
Actually, you're wrong. And must not have any knowledge of the 911 market. Even my NB (narrow body, non-Turbo) 993 has doubled in value since my purchase. And then when you start considering Speedsters, Turbos, GT3's, RS's, Paint-To-Sample, Jelly Bean colors, etc., produced in the last 5-10-20-30 years, some of these 911's have doubled, tripled and quadrupled in value.

Heck, even my Kirkham, purchased in 2007, has increased in value. But it by no means is a blue chip investment or an investment at all.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

The problem with Porsches is its hard to distinguish between a $195k GT3 and a ubiquitous clapped out daily driven $35k CS which can be found all over the place. They all look like VWs to me. Buy what you like.
Old 06-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Quote:
The problem with Porsches is its hard to distinguish between a $195k GT3 and a ubiquitous clapped out daily driven $35k CS which can be found all over the place. They all look like VWs to me. Buy what you like.
Well, that says it all I guess....
Old 06-23-2016, 11:10 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
First, it may be hard to distinguish between different 911's for you or the general public, but most of us car aficionados know the difference.

Second, we're talking about a replica of 1960's race car. In 20-30-40 years, it will still be a replica of a 1960's race car. Beautiful, no doubt, Some low production modern 911's may already be blue chip investments, if not now, likely in the future.

Third, your earlier post referred to 911's not being "blue chip investments." It had nothing to do with "looks." Now you're talking about comparing looks. Yes, the GT40 is gorgeous.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Well, that says it all I guess....
That's a troll-like comment for sure.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:16 AM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Sounding like we have another NYG, or maybe he just re-branded himself.
Old 06-23-2016, 11:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Nissan

Quote:
Sounding like we have another NYG, or maybe he just re-branded himself.
hmmm? No, I am the Original. This new guy writes and behaves like Evan/Real1 of GT40s.

Personally, it's a good problem to have, choosing between gt40 kit-car or gt3. can't go wrong either way.
Your ego will be stroked at every car show. Old guys will wet their panties over nostalgia Gt40 BS. Young Guys will cream for gt3 urban myth
Old 06-25-2016, 08:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA, 351W

This is the silliest thread I have read on club cobra.
Old 06-25-2016, 10:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastd View Post
This is the silliest thread I have read on club cobra.
Thread or some of the posts in the thread? If thread then maybe you could enlighten
me on why asking for impressions from Superformance GT40 owners is "silly"
from a guy who is considering buying one?

Herc 🇺🇸
Old 06-25-2016, 10:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: ERA FIA, 351W

Sorry hercf16

I should have said some of the posts...your thread got hi-jacked. I don't quite understand the arguments.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 06-26-2016, 09:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercf16 View Post
Thread or some of the posts in the thread? If thread then maybe you could enlighten
me on why asking for impressions from Superformance GT40 owners is "silly"
from a guy who is considering buying one?

Herc 🇺🇸
I don't think anyone on this thread giving you advice even has a Superformance. I would not trade a GT3 for a kit car. Superformance are not kit cars. They are nearly tool room copies of the original. About the only thing closer is a Gelscoe if you have $500K to spend. Both of them will require a lot of tinkering as they are true race cars and not street cars. If you want to learn more about the pros and cons of ownership maybe sign up on the GT40s forum. There is a Superformance section where you can get good info from owners.

About ready to fire mine up with new powerplant.

Old 06-26-2016, 10:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
I don't think anyone on this thread giving you advice even has a Superformance. I would not trade a GT3 for a kit car. Superformance are not kit cars. They are nearly tool room copies of the original.
They're a kit. A roller just like my Kirkham, which is a kit. The SPFGT40 is not delivered complete by the factory because they don't meet Federal safety and emission standards. Every owner must complete the kit with an engine and a transaxle. Just like every Cobra replica here on this forum.

And in CA, the GT40 kit must be registered under the SPCNS/SB100 program just like every other kit car. Now the Porsche GT3 can be purchased from your local Porsche dealer and driven off the dealers lot, because it meets current Federal safety and emission standards and the Porsche dealer registers it with the DMV for you. An engine and transmission already comes delivered from the factory.

But you go right ahead and believe what you want to believe, but please just don't pass along the nonsense to the rest of us.

By the way, I love the SPFGT40 kit cars.
Old 06-26-2016, 10:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Like I said, come over the GT40 forum if you would like feedback from less angry people

Or those that don't have a bone to pick with Superformance...

Last edited by MHNCO; 06-26-2016 at 10:44 PM..
Old 06-26-2016, 11:50 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Like I said, come over the GT40 forum if you would like feedback from less angry people

Or those that don't have a bone to pick with Superformance...
I'm not angry. I just don't buy the BS, whether it's SPF or a politician. And I'm a GT40s member, but meh, why bother. I'm not going to troll the SPF Forum and call their kit a kit.

The Superformance site states that their GT40 is not a kit, though it doesn't come with an engine and transmission, say like their SPF Cobras or my Kirkham. That's just a SALES PITCH to buy their roller for $110,000 +/-.

But it's a definitely a kit and un-registerable since it's not a complete car when purchased by the customer. We can debate the level of completeness, but whether you purchase a Factory Five Cobra and build it yourself with donor Mustang parts or purchase a turnkey minus from Kirkham, SPF, ERA, etc., all these cars are registered as specially-constructed vehicles/kit cars here in CA. That's the law. Superformance cannot legally sell me a complete car.

All the SPF GT40 owners in the world can disagree with me, but it's still not going to make the SPFGT40 a complete car when sold. Either you complete the kit in your garage or let Olthoff Racing do it for you.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: