Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2016, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHNCO View Post
The race will be in Colorado at High Planes. Bring your original Cobra. We will do it Christnas day 2016. I don't want to hear anymore excuses out of you Kirkum!
Oh no, you didn't. :lol:

Careful, It's not what you know that will get you in trouble, it's what you think you know for sure that just isn't.

Last time some know-it-all took on a "Kirkum" (as you call them) it didn't end so well for them.

Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia

https://youtu.be/hTf0bj7Ho0U

Enjoy, and you're welcome.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimis View Post
Oh no, you didn't. :lol:

Careful, It's not what you know that will get you in trouble, it's what you think you know for sure that just isn't.

Last time some know-it-all took on a "Kirkum" (as you call them) it didn't end so well for them.

Drag race - Kirkham 65 side-oiler vs Ferrari 458 italia

https://youtu.be/hTf0bj7Ho0U

Enjoy, and you're welcome.
If there ever was a stacked deck that was it
Old 07-02-2016, 11:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: DIY Coupe, F/T ,MkIV.

Am I correct in thinking #3170 is an original Cobra.. not a Kirkham?
Old 07-03-2016, 12:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jac Mac View Post
Am I correct in thinking #3170 is an original Cobra.. not a Kirkham?
I believe so.
But I'm pretty sure it ain't the original set up.
Much like those "Kirkum"
Old 07-03-2016, 03:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

After watching that it's clear that while I would certainly win the race, I would end up being blinded by all the shiny chrome of the Kirkum. I therefore withdraw my offer and will now go down to the garage and put some wax on my less shiney GT40 that to the best of my knowledge, lacks a single piece of chrome anywhere.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:00 AM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Apologies for getting the discussion back on topic but I recently sold a 991 GT3RS for a Superformance GT40. I'd only had it for 2 days before an electrical fault stopped it running so not sure I should comment on the GT40 yet as I've barely driven it. My initial comment, apart from the obvious reliability issues, would be that if the GT3 RS is a 7 on the intensity of experience scale the GT40 would be somewhere around 25 to 40. It is just completely on another planet in terms of noise, intimidation, physical input required and sheer intensity. I don't find it uncomfortable but it's not easy to drive. It is a challenge. Which the GT3 was not for me. Most good drivers could quite easily drive a GT3 at 90% of its capability very quickly. I'm not planing on trying that in the GT40 anytime soon.

I'm not interested in comparing performance as I don't care about it. For me these cars are a source of entertainment and my initial impression is the GT40 is an outrageously fast and vividly intense machine that when you are in the mood will blow you away. The GT3RS was also outrageously fast but made it too easy, quiet and comfortable for me.

If I had to drive it regularly though I may think twice about the GT40 for various practical reasons.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes

That's a pretty good description.

A friend has a SPF GT40. It took him a while to sort out the bugs, but I believe it was mostly with the EFI. He has driven it to work a few times. The biggest issue is the ground clearance. It is very low. He has to be careful running over bugs.

As far as performance, it is a rocket ship. In the hands of a professional driver, I can't imagine a GT3 keeping up with this thing. He's running about 650HP, probably a few hundred pounds lighter, it is mid engine vs. rear engine for the GT3 which is better balanced, and it's lower.

In the hands of an average driver, the GT3 is probably quicker. Who knows how good you have to be to go faster in the GT40? I'm not suggesting that if you are faster in a GT3 that you don't know how to drive.

Last edited by wkooiman; 07-03-2016 at 05:59 AM..
Old 07-03-2016, 04:40 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE

Quote:
After watching that it's clear that while I would certainly win the race, I would end up being blinded by all the shiny chrome of the Kirkum.
Of course you'd be blinded from the Kirkum. Because he'd be in front of you.
Old 07-03-2016, 05:13 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Quote:
After watching that it's clear that while I would certainly win the race, I would end up being blinded by all the shiny chrome of the Kirkum. I therefore withdraw my offer and will now go down to the garage and put some wax on my less shiney GT40 that to the best of my knowledge, lacks a single piece of chrome anywhere.
I believe you threw it down. There are more than a handful here that will be happy to send you home crying. Be careful what you wish for my friend and remember that 90 percent is showing up!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post
That's a pretty good description.

A friend has a SPF GT40. It took him a while to sort out the bugs, but I believe it was mostly with the EFI. He has driven it to work a few times. The biggest issue is the ground clearance. It is very low. He has to be careful running over bugs.

As far as performance, it is a rocket ship. In the hands of a professional driver, I can't imagine a GT3 keeping up with this thing. He's running about 650HP, probably a few hundred pounds lighter, it is mid engine vs. rear engine for the GT3 which is better balanced, and it's lower.

In the hands of an average driver, the GT3 is probably quicker. Who knows how good you have to be to go faster in the GT40? I'm not suggesting that if you are faster in a GT3 that you don't know how to drive.
Please stop. Depending on what GT3 you're talking about, the "basic" STOCK version goes 0-60 in 3 seconds, 1/4 mile in 11 seconds and has a top speed around 200 mph. Then there are the RS and R versions which take it up a few notches from there.

The Porsche is not a Ferrari.
Old 07-04-2016, 12:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Shelby

we need some lap times of the gt40 on "nürburgring nordschleife"
that is the final ranking of speed and driving perfomance

i cannot find any laptimes of the old gt40

only of the new ford gt here with 7:40 min:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...eife_lap_times

or here with 7:52 min:

Rundenzeiten Nürburgring-Nordschleife - AUTO MOTOR UND SPORT

the gt3 is listed between 7:32 min and 7:40 min

and btw the ferraris are slower on the nürburgring than the porsches...
Old 07-04-2016, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: Nissan

who cares about an original gt40? The thread is about a Kit car gt40 versus a Gt3 in present day, 2016.
$175K kit car with old school technology v8 muscle versus $200K retail modern safety, Air Conditioning, warranty German technology.

Unfortunate, the guy with the beautiful kit car gt40 talked the talk and backed out of a race with #3170.
Old 07-04-2016, 07:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Pretty much sums it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gt40scotland View Post
... if the GT3 RS is a 7 on the intensity of experience scale the GT40 would be somewhere around 25 to 40. It is just completely on another planet in terms of noise, intimidation, physical input required and sheer intensity...

... my initial impression is the GT40 is an outrageously fast and vividly intense machine that when you are in the mood will blow you away
Judging by the bulk of the comments, most of you would most likely find the Porsche or any other modern sports car, more to your liking.

Seeing 30 of these machine in one place and trading paint on the track at the Members Meeting was bucket list stuff.

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWaKaz6vGqE[/ame]

Last edited by MHNCO; 07-04-2016 at 08:33 AM..
Old 07-04-2016, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post

This is not a "Who's better, Tom Brady or Joe Montana?" or a "Who's better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James?" argument/discussion. You CAN compare the SPFGT40 to the GT3. They both can be taken to the track TODAY and raced at their best TODAY.

Porsches are built to be driven fast. But I'd own both the GT3 and the SPFGT40. I actually own a "Kirkum" and a Porsche, although it's an older 993 and the 993 is just a cruiser with under 300HP.
Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

The GT3 was a 2015 991 and is now sold, still not sure if there is a better sports
car made anywhere. Cobra is still in the garage. I did try on a GT40 at Hillbank
a few weeks ago, plenty of head room with the Gurney bubble and also had
clearance on the pax side without the bubble, this with a custom over padded
seat, should be better with the tall guy seat pad. I though getting in and out was
similar to the Vipers I have owned.

I was shopping a trade, my Cobra for the GT40 but for some reason Hillbank has
not got back with me after numerous emails and a phone message. The other
GT40 I was looking at is in Chicago at Bentley Gold Coast, Gulf paint but with no
"bubble", their price seems a bit high. Beautiful car and fantastic presence but
for 160k plus I would not expect some of the basic issues I have read about,
crushed AC ducts ets...... Also I am not sure if it is a car you would ever be able
to resale much less at anywhere near what you paid for it. Still considering it
though, will have to list my Cobra and see what kind of offers I get.

Happy 4th!
Old 07-04-2016, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: FFR track car, SL-C track car

Sounds like you are headed in the right direction.

Good luck on your search.
Old 07-04-2016, 01:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercf16 View Post
I was shopping a trade, my Cobra for the GT40 but for some reason Hillbank has not got back with me
Are you surprised by that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercf16 View Post
Beautiful car and fantastic presence but
for 160k plus I would not expect some of the basic issues I have read about,
crushed AC ducts ets...... Also I am not sure if it is a car you would ever be able
to resale much less at anywhere near what you paid for it.
You will be hard pressed to find an SPF MkI for less than that anywhere. A gentleman on the GT40 forum has/had a nicely sorted red one for in the $135K range awhile back. The days of fire sale SPF GT40s is long gone.

Another place to check is 427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE
Old 07-04-2016, 01:46 PM
Senile Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
I have in the past contributed to CC

Cobra Make & Engine: Time Machines Motorsports LLC- Superformance Dealer

Quote:
Are you surprised by that?

You will be hard pressed to find an SPF MkI for less than that anywhere. A gentleman on the GT40 forum has/had a nicely sorted red one for in the $135K range awhile back. The days of fire sale SPF GT40s is long gone.

Another place to check is 427 Cobra Country--Ford AC Cobra replica manufacturers SUPER-SITE
I agree, a MK I will not be less than 150K and that will be a low end engine setup. A top shelf MK I will be 160K and up.

Perhaps a new build to your spec will be best for you?

http://www.timemachinesauto.com/
Old 07-04-2016, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CAV GT40 #169, Ford 408 Stroker & ZF Transaxle

WOW...I missed this thread but just came across it today surfing around. Interesting reading for sure. My two cents is you buy a GT40 for the 60s super car experience..... If you want to be first on the race track today then buy a real expensive 2016 supercar with all it's technology. Love my GT40 and yes they are all replicas unless they were built in the 60s....

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArK-g3WMg5Q[/ame]
Old 07-04-2016, 03:56 PM
Senior CC Premier Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make & Engine: CSX #4xxx with CSX 482; David Kee Toploader

Not a GT40, but another option just showed up....

http://classiccars.com/listings/view...9daf-162615397