Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Lone Star Classics---Speak with Dennis & Steve

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

That's a huge question, as all makes have their pro's & con's. You're doing what's needed, asking questions and searching. A best list of the top 5 will yield many,..... different cars. Just take you're time.

Did you get my PM ?
Old 08-08-2010, 06:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCR GT 40 & 1966 Fairlane 390 5 speed
Not Ranked     
Smile

this one is for sale $38,500
Coach Lane's Hurricane

Dwight

Old 08-08-2010, 07:06 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile

I researched for 18 months, visited Lone Star and Unique. This was before I found web site like CC and FFC.

I am 5'10" and 175 lbs. I have drove 10 to 15 different brands of Cobras. I easily fit in all of them.

I bought the Lone Star because of the extra 4" in the cockpit area and I like the way the interior tub and trunk tub are molded to the body. I wanted a Cobra I could take long trips in and the stuff in the trunk would not get wet. I want to have room to put stuff behind the seats, like beach towel, rain coats, sun screen, a bottle of water, etc. I don't like the Cobras that leak hot air into the footbox area.

I have buddies that I ride / drive with every week that have Cobras with all the "things" that I don't like, BUT we still have a blast, EVERY TIME we go for a ride. They are all a lot of fun.

Remember a Cobra was first build as a race car!

All the things I don't like, air leaks, small cockpit, water leaks, hot footbox, are in all of the original Cobras. But if I had the money I would buy one.

You need to decide how you want to drive "your" Cobra and then look for that one. If it sits in the garage a lot and you take short trips, they all will work.
If you want original, shorter list.
If you want a track car, that a different list.
A show car.
A daily driver.
What we like in a Cobra may not be the same things you like.
I let a big guy sit in my Cobra last night. Tight fit but he still wants to build one.
Sit in as many as you can, drive a few if someone will let you.
What I wanted in a Cobra 12 years ago has changed a lot, now that I know.
Keep searching.

Just remember something that happen last year.
Corvette Joe joined our group for a few Friday night eat outs. He wanted to buy a Cobra. I invited him to go with us to the London Cobra Show. About the third time we ate out he took me up on my offer. I told him we left at 10 PM and drove the 535 mile mostly at night. Slow trip lots of stops. We had three trucks and trailers going and he could ride with one of those guys and or ride in my Cobra part of the way. Well we started a pool on how far Joe would ride in a Cobra. Everyone agree he would not make the Kentucky state line. Corvette Joe rode all the way to Columbus and when we return Sunday we drove all day long in the hot sun. Joe was right beside me.

A week latter he told me he would not buy a Cobra.

About three months ago he bought a SFP with a big block and loves it.

You never know!

See ya on the road. Wife said I got to go to the store.

Keep looking.

Dwight
Old 08-08-2010, 07:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

Let me jump in here.......Dwight's absolutely right, keep looking and if you really want one, it'll happen. I actually spent 4 years in my search. I first thought build, then thought buy new, but ultimately decided based on today's world that a slightly used quality unit was the best way to go. I had actually not rode in one until I took the little ride to London from north Alabama last year with Dwight. I really liked the car and seeing all the different ones at London really was an eye-opener. However, I temporarily convinced myself that a 60+ year old retired guy that already had a Vette which had been our other "dream car" could find something else to play with besides a hot, loud, always-watch-out-for-rain Cobra. Well, I was wrong, I kept following this site and Cobra Country and finally realized if you really want something and can afford it, get it. I absolutely love my SPF and my only regret is having waited. However, by waiting and searching, I did find exactly the one I wanted! Keep looking but don't wait too long to jump! There's a lot of them out there for sale!!

Good luck!

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!
Old 08-10-2010, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 347 Ford
Not Ranked     
Default Thnkas for the help

Kevin,

Good talking to you the other night.Good info. Joe & Dwight: thanks for taking the time to educate. Here is what I know:

> I am not a mechanic, just want to drive & enjoy (I am also a firearms instructor, but I would much rather shoot than tinker). So the car needs to have a fairly low tinker factor. I am big on regular maintenance, however. I will just have a trusted shiop do it

> I am a couple of trips a week guy, may 1,000- 2,500 miles/ year
> I would like to keep the cost under $45k but preferably in the mid/ high 30's
> I want some decent horsepower (450- 500)- what the use in having something you don't "need" otherwise
> I want "factory built", unless I had a trusted, well known/ recommended seller

Here is what I THINK I know (please comment):
> The 428 FE is a good, low maint engine, but not big on power- you can get up to 450 without going to wild?
> above 500 HP Rousch, etc. & you get issues with idling, cooling, touchiness, etc.?
> To get a used name brand "factory built" car with 5k miles on it (+,-) will save me maybe $6-$8k over new. Is that worth it?

I appreciate the feedback-

One more thing, if you happened to find a little time please point out a few cars in the for sale forum that you think have a starting price that seems "reasonable". Maybe that is a no-no on this site?
(factory built, 450 + HP, 5,000 miles +,-)

Thanks again.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD-SPO2660, Southern Automotive 406FE, TKO-600
Not Ranked     

In today's economy, you should be able to buy a "factory" car (i.e. factory roller with installed eng/trans) for more of a savings than you think possibly with fewer miles than what you mentioned. I know my search and purchase a few months ago resulted in a much greater savings and mine had only 1150 miles. Of course, it depends greatly on what's out there at the time and how anxious a seller is to sell. I spent many hours on CobraCountry.com as well as this site both learning what to look for and to see what comes on the market. Good deals don't last but that too depends on the state of the market at any given time. Based on my technical findings mostly from this site (by the way, I was looking for a unit similar to your idea, just willing to pay a little more), I locked in on an SPF > S/N 2000 or a BDR > S/N 500 in that order. There certainly are some other great mfrs, but those 2 most closely met my parameters including price. If you spend any time around here, you'll see there's valid passion for these cars, regardless of what their origin......they're a Cobra, that's what matters. Note, I didn't even address the BB vs SB!

Have fun and enjoy life, because when it is over, it is too late!

Last edited by JST4FUN; 08-10-2010 at 09:33 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LoneStar 427 SC, "Red Venom", 351W B/S 400 HP, TKO 600 .64 OD
Not Ranked     

Everyone is going to tell you that "their" choice for a manufacturer is the right choice. Keep in mind that when you read everyone's opinion, including mine. Also, you won't find a lot of support for the Lonestar in this forum.

If you'd like to see the details behind a Lonestar build, you can check out my build website. www.pflanzer-aviation.com/RedVenomCobra. So far, I am really enjoying the build. I also documented my process for making all the decisions leading up to buying the LSC. You may find this helpful to you.

Whatever your choice, welcome to the fraternity.
Old 08-11-2010, 04:01 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Smile For Sale

Lewis, where do you live? Could you drive to North Alabama and take Coach Lane's Hurricane for a test drive?

He has a Keith Craft 428 stroker with 601 HP. Very streetable, easy to drive around town. Well build car with all the bugs worked out. It has a lot of custom touchs to make it a daily driver. Coach has driven this Cobra year round. If it's not raining or forecast for rain, he drives.
Well worth taking a look at.

Oh did I say Fast!
Dwight

I do have several video Doc and I took of the Hurricane on the road if you would like to see them just let me know.

Last edited by Dwight; 08-11-2010 at 04:05 AM.. Reason: add comment
Old 08-11-2010, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Hurricane

Dwight,

Please send me more info & video on this one:

> miles?
> Tranny?
> I think you said hard top is extra
> I don't want you to negotiate for me, but it seems a little pricey, but not sure if that is firm. Other than that it seems to meet my specs, just from first look. can you refer me to the ad on Cobra Country? Feel free to send a private messge if that works better. I could give you my e-mail. Kevin also mentioned this one. By the way, I am in Northern CO- too far to pop in for a drive, but that's ok.

Thanks,
Lewis
Old 08-11-2010, 09:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Lewis- it was a pleasure speaking with you. With the death of my niece, we're pretty busy but I will get back to you asap.

Were you able to reach Brian after we talked ?

If you like the looks of the 289FIA cobras, this is one hell of a car for the money.

By Unique Motorcars. They produce a very nice cobra and this one has everything you want, like we spoke about. Heck, if I wanted another car, I would look deeper into this one. Give me a call when you can bud.

On Cobra Country-

REDUCED! 289FIA Cobra replica by Unique Motorcars. Bright silver/red ‘Competition’ stripes, matching 2-tone black/red leather upholstery. The BIG Picture: Click Here! This brand-new 289FIA was constructed by Unique Motorcars, then expertly finished and detailed by Allure Motorcars. Top-of-the-line fit & finish, paint-prep, paint and clearcoat. It was wet-sanded by hand, & buffed to a mirror finish. The effect you see in these photos was executed by painstakingly layering several coats of Bright Silver under multiple coats of clear, this process produces a “wet-look” finish. It is even more dazzing in-person out in the sun than you see in these photos. Under the hood: Ford Racing Performance 347 cid [M-6007-C347; 9.7:1 compression ratio; 450 horsepower@6,000 rpm; 400 ft./lbs of torque @ 4,900 rpm], outfitted with: Ford Racing aluminum ‘Z’ heads {M-6049-Z304A}, Ford Racing Hi-Po hydraulic roller camshaft and roller rocker arms, Edelbrock ‘PRO-FLO’ fuel injection, Canton 7-quart oil pan, MSD billet distributor, ProTorque starter, ceramic-coated headers & exhaust pipes, Griffin radiator, remote oil filter and oil cooler, both fitted with AN-10 SS oil lines. BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! Geartrain: Ford Racing bellhousing [M-6392-R58], SPEC aluminum flywheel, SPEC Stage 2 clutch, McLeod bolt-on hydraulic throwout bearing, Tremec TKO 600 5-speed manual with 2.87:1 first and 0.68:1 fifth gear, Jaguar IRS with 3.54:1 final ratio. Suspension, brakes & rolling stock: Jaguar IRS fitted with limited-slip diff & inboard brakes [thus reducing unsprung weight], Carrera chromed adjustable coil-over shocks, front & rear swaybars, custom tubular upper & lower A-arms, Wilwood front brakes, genuine Trigo true knock-off wheels & adapters. In the cockpit: black/red premium leather upholstery {seats and door panels), black carpet, triple-chromed Lokar emergency brake handle, 5-point driver and passenger harnesses, competition black vinyl covered instrument panel [FIA-correct gauge layout, fitted with Stewart Warner mechanical & electrical gauges], correct 15" Mota-Lita triple-chromed & hardwood-rimmed steering wheel, genuine AC horn button; this FIA features a dropped floorpan to accommodate a taller [6'-3"+] driver. In-Your-Face frontal shot: Click Here! [Note: “FIA” is the abbreviation for the Paris-based “Federation Internationale de l'Automobile,” the governing body for the WMC (World Manufacturers Championship) competition of the 1960s, and today is the governing body for many motor racing events; Shelby’s 289FIA was specifically designed to meet FIA regulations.] This 289FIA Competition Roadster is brand new; it’s solidly-built,safe and reliable- with no expense spared to make it one of the very finest Cobras on the road today. BIG 3/4-rear shot: Click Here! $42,000 obo. Contact: Chris at (770) 654-6713 EDT (cell), or email: ChrisCarter99@aol.com
Gainesville, Georgia
13 April/July.

------------------------------------------------------------
If you find that you like Backdraft cobras, this is nice but, I won't let you buy it, too close to mine. ! (color anyway) lol

Cobra Country-

For Sale: 427S/C Cobra replica by Backdraft Racing, #146. Stunning Indigo Blue/white stripes. The BIG Picture: Click Here! Under the hood: Ford Racing 351W engine, bored & stroked to 408 cid, outputting 460 horsepower, and outfitted with a Holley 750 Street Avenger 4-barrel carburetor, chromed water pump, ceramic headers and upgraded serpentine belt system. BIG Photo of powerplant: Click Here! Geartrain: Tremec TKO 5-speed transmission, BMW suspension with IRS, M3 struts, shocks and power assisted disc brakes. Rolling stock: 15" chromed wheels with BF Goodrich T/A Radials (235/60x15 front, 295/50x15 rear). In the cockpit: rich black leather upholstery, VDO instrumentation, chromed fire extinguisher; it also has an illuminated start button as well as interior lighting. BIG Photo of cockpit: Click Here! Also outfitted with: chromed sidepipes replete with (ankle-guard) heat shields, powder-coated frame, SS rollbar and aluminum windshield frame. You also get: documentation showing all the parts used throughout the engine upgrade, as well as photographs of the rebuild and complete dyno sheet. The odometer shows 4,300 miles; the engine rebuild took place just 300 miles ago. The car is titled in Pennsylvania as a 1965 Ford and is licensed as an antique. In-Your-Face frontal shot: Click Here! $38,000 obo. Contact Bob at (570) 417-1314 EDT, or email: Pudge11151@yahoo.com
Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
10 August

Last edited by FUNFER2; 08-11-2010 at 10:00 AM..
Old 08-11-2010, 10:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

WOW,.... I just found this one for $96,599 !
(the car looks good too)

Old 08-11-2010, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUNFER2 View Post
WOW,.... I just found this one for $96,599 !
(the car looks good too)

What car???

PS: in my pictures I have put a few I found on the www

Last edited by henrik; 08-11-2010 at 01:07 PM..
Old 08-11-2010, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

lol,.....mmmmmm good !
Old 08-11-2010, 12:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

Looks great. Love the body style. But maintenance and upkeep can be a real bear.
Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcowan View Post
Looks great. Love the body style. But maintenance and upkeep can be a real bear.
Some cleaning - later a "make over" with some fresh paint and she will last a few more years

Old 08-11-2010, 01:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     
Default Careful what you wish for.

I couldn't imagine owning a Cobra without a garage full of tools - and a lift for that matter. I don't know any owners that don't have to tinker with their cars somewhat regularly. Hell, the idle alone will shake most parts loose in no time. You add an engine that puts out twice the HP it was designed to produce, add some other vintage drive train components and you certainly don't have a "tinker-free" hobby. I've found that there is a potentially enormous amount of grief and frustration associated with getting and owning one of these cars depending on the county you live in and commensurate level of oversight, sourcing the right replacement parts, little things that break - where you would just drop it off at the dealer if it was a mainstream car. Ain't gonna happen with one of these. Half the fun is figuring out how to fix problems that arise and perhaps engineer a superior solution the may prevent a reoccurance. I've loved owing my car for the past 8 years, but it has chewed me up and spit me out more than once. You've really got to be passionate about this to survive - let alone find the degree of joy that matches the investment - and I don't mean money. I know of quite a few folks that got into this and tried to bail a short time later. Go in with your eyes wide open. These are not vettes by any stretch of the imagination!
Old 08-11-2010, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks for the feedback

Toni,

I greatly appreciate the feedback. I don't want to buy myself into a nightmare. It's not that I am not handy, but just don't want to spend all of my time tinkering as opposed to driving. I have looked over some of the ads that have been reposted above & have also been talking to Lonestar about 475-500HP crate engine. Do you still think all of the garage time applies for a new car not run hard?

Anybody else want to jump in on this one?

Thanks,
Lewis
Old 08-11-2010, 02:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by needtobuy View Post
Toni,

I greatly appreciate the feedback. I don't want to buy myself into a nightmare. It's not that I am not handy, but just don't want to spend all of my time tinkering as opposed to driving. I have looked over some of the ads that have been reposted above & have also been talking to Lonestar about 475-500HP crate engine. Do you still think all of the garage time applies for a new car not run hard?

Anybody else want to jump in on this one?

Thanks,
Lewis
"or sit"

As I wrote to you... here and in the PM - use the search engine to read old threads - a lot of fine info from many members... you will NOT be able to conclude here and now by throwing a few questions from the hip

Refine your search and be realistic - the 611 is still the best match as I see it...

The time spend on getting closer to your dream will also allow you to collect a bigger amount to spend... and that money is well invested.

Good Luck
Attached Images

Old 08-11-2010, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Toni,

Spent a little time looking for that model. What is special about the Backdraft 611 & do you mean the Roush engine?

Thx,

LH
Old 08-11-2010, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

MrMustang posted a nice piece on brand selection some years ago that I'm sure is retrievable. The fact is, there are usually significant differences between the various makes available in the market. Some of the differences lie in the skill of the assembler since the assembly options are virtually infinite. Some like the "true to form" approach and others like a modernized variant. Different makes use all kinds of components in their designs such as suspension, rearends front ends, shock geometry and on and on. What ever you end up with, it will likely be something you're completely unfamiliar with, over powered, has leaks to chase, bolts to keep tight, valves that need periodic adjusting, carb adjustments and a million other issues I'm not thinking of. Don't get me wrong, if you like this kind of activity, it's awesome. I've had a blast fixing, modifying, refining and generally maintaining my car. She's fast, loud and beautiful - and it seems in constant need of attention. I think these cars "aren't" right for more people than they the "are" right for. You know when your snake bit - and it's very toxic!