Club Cobra

Club Cobra (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/)
-   Scratch Builders Forum (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/)
-   -   New Build (http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/scratch-builders-forum/117050-new-build.html)

cobrakiwi 08-31-2012 04:24 PM

New Build

2 Attachment(s)
It has been a long road but starting to see some light at the end of the tunnel.
Cutting/welding cutting/welding and more cutting/welding.
I have enjoyed the scratch build process.

mickmate 08-31-2012 07:25 PM

Nice, it's been too quiet over here. Looking good.

cobrakiwi 09-01-2012 05:08 AM

front tower

3 Attachment(s)
Thanks,
Here are a few pictures of the front tower and shock mounts.

alfy65 09-01-2012 06:52 AM

New Build

Fun stuff...looking good...

cobrakiwi 09-01-2012 08:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I see from your pic's you know all about this stuff, rear tower getting ready to mount the diff.

Three Peaks 09-01-2012 01:11 PM

What drawings are you using for measurements? The Cobra Restorer's drawings?
Is there a set of "corrected" drawings available that address the mistakes on the Cobra Restorer's drawings?

Great looking work. Keep the updates coming.

Bob

cobrakiwi 09-01-2012 02:33 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hey Bob
I have made all my own patterns, I have some old drawings I have compared measurements too. The next frames should take a lot less time now.
How is your project coming along?
Here is a few pictures of the diff being mounted, rear shock mounts and brackets.

mickmate 09-01-2012 05:46 PM

I like the old school seat belt tabs.

cobrakiwi 09-02-2012 06:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Next was starting the cowl hoop, out riggers, floor brackets, and steering rack mounts.

LMH 09-02-2012 07:24 AM

Wow, very nice!
Larry

cobrakiwi 09-02-2012 07:53 AM

Brakes

5 Attachment(s)
Larry, Thanks.
They say with all that GO you need to stop so here is the brake control department.

cobrakiwi 09-02-2012 10:16 AM

setting the engine and gear box

5 Attachment(s)
Here I have made up the engine and gearbox mounts.
Setting the engine and gearbox up before more frame work makes it an easy task.

cobrakiwi 09-03-2012 06:38 AM

cooling

5 Attachment(s)
Now that we have an engine and brakes we will need some thing to cool that big lump of iron up front, Radiator mounts for the radiator. As well we may need help going around corners so sway bar mounts need to be fitted. The oil cooler brackets are all so fitted, they all so support the lower front body. The mounts for the Quick jacks or bumpers get tied into the front frame as well.
This was quite tricky to set up and get right.

krausewich 09-05-2012 09:26 PM

Hi Kiwi,
Things are looking awesome over there! Can't wait for more updates.
From a scratch builders POV, may I recommend tacking a few pieces
of your birdcage together and get the body on there to test fit. Those
drawings and bodies rarely seem to agree : )

Good luck and continued success.
Mike.

cobrakiwi 09-06-2012 11:02 AM

More Brackets

5 Attachment(s)
Hi Mike,
thanks, yes I would agree with building the body frame work around the body and the body sitting in place.
Here are a few more Brackets that we need to build and place on the frame.
Bracket for the rad cooling fans, side pipe mounts, steering column, wind shield and drive shaft loop mounts.

cobrakiwi 09-06-2012 12:40 PM

body frame

5 Attachment(s)
Here we are starting to build the frame work to mount the body too.
The door hinge mount is all so tied into the frame work for the body.
Sorry for the clutter in the back ground with some of these pictures.
I think this is what Mike was referring too with making the frame work fit the body.
Some of these rolled tubes and bends are tricky to get right.

cobrakiwi 09-10-2012 05:12 AM

rear frame

4 Attachment(s)
now we are putting together the frame work for the rear body to hang on, all so all the frame work for the trunk, rear panels, and rear bumpers or quick jack mounts.

cobrakiwi 09-10-2012 11:16 AM

doors

5 Attachment(s)
we need doors, so here we are making the hinges, latches, catch plates etc

cobrakiwi 09-10-2012 11:20 AM

mounting doors

4 Attachment(s)
Mounting the doors,

cobrakiwi 09-10-2012 11:24 AM

test fitting

2 Attachment(s)
Now we test fitted the body, looks like it might just work.