Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > Small Block Talk

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-29-2016, 09:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Well, with that logic, you *can* buy *real* FE engines for the same or less money than a small block.
(Where? you mean a 390 built to fool the public into thinking it's a 427 side oiler?)

I just don't see why you would pay for a small block Ford and then make a feeble attempt to make it look like an FE ....when you could have bought an FE to start with.

I understand that replicas are replicas, but bolting FE parts on small blocks to try and fool the public and pass it off as another engine is just absurd to me.
Well, in my case - for just one example - I bought my near basket case replica down here with a Chevy 383 stroker already installed. when I rebuilt it with all new parts and wiring from Unique Motorcars, I thought about converting to an FE and Ford drivetrain, but with our import duties and tariffs it would've cost me 3 times as much as you would pay in the US.

The Chevy stroker has been strong, ultra reliable and runs like a scalded cat, so the conversion is simply not worth it as far as I'm concerned. I like the look of the black finned Cobra valve covers (without the "powered by Ford" script) and if I can find an adapter, I will bolt them on.

Not trying to fool anybody - just doing what pleases me without giving a fat rat's ass if it puts someone else's nose out of joint. Feel free to do as you please with your own car and your own money.
cdnus likes this.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 05-29-2016 at 09:16 AM..
Old 05-29-2016, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Hey, here's a nice set of SBC heads from GM that look like they are BBC heads.

Name:  SB2 stuff.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  39.9 KB

This stuff obviously happens all the time!! Shucks the valve placement even resembles a BBC, not to mention the rocker covers. Intake manifold is OK too.

This masquerade approach is obviously the plan ...

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Thanks anyway, but I'm really not interested in making my engine look like a BBC. If you're so keen on being of assistance, find me a set of adapters for the Cobra valve covers.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

Old 05-29-2016, 09:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Buzz, my gripe isn't with you as you obviously have a Chevy engine and aren't trying to disguise it.

What I find hard to stomach is the guys who tout that their SBF or their SBC is the far superior choice, then try to make their engine look like an FE....

I noticed that Joe edited his post to add that an FE is "more expensive" than a SBF. Simply not true. You can have a 525-550 hp FE for the same price (or less) as a Dart blocked SBF. It's also funny that guys use weight as a bias. Obviously the original 427 Cobra didn't have trouble winning LeMans with that big ole heavy FE engine in there. 99% of the guys here do not race their cars and probably couldn't tell the difference in weight while driving any way.

When you get down to looking at it, how far are you willing to go to fakely make your drivetrain look like the original? Glue external linkages to the side of your TKO so it looks more like a Toploader?
Old 05-29-2016, 09:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I think some builders put fake crossbolts on 390's...

The weight issue is really a non-issue. Big block Cobras are actually quite neutrally balanced, some even with a slight rear weight bias.

Old 05-29-2016, 10:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
I think some builders put fake crossbolts on 390's...
Equally as sinful....

The originals had 428's in them. I suppose if you're going to mislead someone, you could always tell them it's a 428.....
Old 05-29-2016, 10:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Buzz, my gripe isn't with you as you obviously have a Chevy engine and aren't trying to disguise it.

What I find hard to stomach is the guys who tout that their SBF or their SBC is the far superior choice, then try to make their engine look like an FE....

I noticed that Joe edited his post to add that an FE is "more expensive" than a SBF. Simply not true. You can have a 525-550 hp FE for the same price (or less) as a Dart blocked SBF. It's also funny that guys use weight as a bias. Obviously the original 427 Cobra didn't have trouble winning LeMans with that big ole heavy FE engine in there. 99% of the guys here do not race their cars and probably couldn't tell the difference in weight while driving any way.

When you get down to looking at it, how far are you willing to go to fakely make your drivetrain look like the original? Glue external linkages to the side of your TKO so it looks more like a Toploader?
Wrong on the edit, fixed a typo "build" to "built".

As for the rest, I think you are a little clueless about the reasons for going with FE covers on a SBF.

1. For some the FE pentroof cover just looks better than a SBF cover. If that suckers the "experts" then the joke is on them isn't it.
2. As these are freakin' replicas isn't that the idea - make it look like something it isn't.
3. Some replicas are designed for a SBF and not a BB - and done so for a reason, look at the replicas makers biased toward the track environment.

Just because your bread & butter is building FEs, that doesn't make it the smart choice, and for many it isn't. But making your replica look the part is the common thread and done to varying degrees by all.

Last edited by Joe's Garage; 05-29-2016 at 10:49 AM..
Old 05-29-2016, 10:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post
Thanks for digging wkooiman. Those are them but I would rather go plain finned so I might go with what Ansen has -
Ford FE Tall All Fins [Black]

Even though I could go with the "427" version and be correct (unlike many BBs which have the 427 and are not), to my eye less is more.
Old 05-29-2016, 11:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
Wrong on the edit, fixed a typo "build" to "built".

As for the rest, I think you are a little clueless about the reasons for going with FE covers on a SBF.

1. For some the FE pentroof cover just looks better than a SBF cover. If that suckers the "experts" then the joke is on them isn't it.
2. As these are freakin' replicas isn't that the idea - make it look like something it isn't.
3. Some replicas are designed for a SBF and not a BB - and done so for a reason, look at the replicas makers biased toward the track environment.

Just because your bread & butter is building FEs, that doesn't make it the smart choice, and for many it isn't. But making your replica look the part is the common thread and done to varying degrees by all.
There are pentroof SBF valve covers out there that don't require trying to make an engine into something it's not.

Also, just because all of this is your opinion doesn't make me clueless. I get that you have FE envy. I had it too and went through all the same steps with my own Cobra. It initially had a Windsor. I stroked it and got as close as I could to 427 inches just because, you know, that's the magic number. Went through all the same mental exercises that you're going through, trying to make my Cobra play the part. In the end, I sold the 425W and built a 428FE for it.

Last edited by blykins; 05-29-2016 at 11:56 AM..
Old 05-29-2016, 12:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

... you are still kind of clueless on the reasons why, even after it was explained to you.
Old 05-29-2016, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Trust me, your three "reasons" weren't explanations for anything.

1. That's your opinion.
2. Lame excuse, if you really want to make it look like something it's not, put an FE in it. A stinkin 352 would look closer to the original than a Windsor with those big valve covers hanging off each end. If you spend all your time trying to make your Cobra "play the part", then it will be a never-ending journey. If you were proud enough to put a Windsor in your car, then be proud of it. If you like pentroof valve covers, which is understandable, there are plenty of them out there that fit Windsor heads.
3. There's only one that I know of: JBL. Do you have a JBL?

Last edited by blykins; 05-29-2016 at 12:33 PM..
Old 05-29-2016, 01:07 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
From Breeze.....

"Get a set today and have all the fun of a big block without the fuss."

Oh brother.
Who knew "all the fun of a big block" was about the valve covers!
I could have saved some coin.
Old 05-29-2016, 01:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I know, right?

I wonder if I can have all the fun of owning a Porsche, but none of the expense, by gluing some 911 Carrera badges on a VW?
Old 05-29-2016, 02:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
Thanks anyway, but I'm really not interested in making my engine look like a BBC. If you're so keen on being of assistance, find me a set of adapters for the Cobra valve covers.

You're missing the mark Buzz!

SBFs made to look like BBFs. SBCs made to look like BBCs. This predisposition to look like something that was desirable (the Big Block versions of each engine line up) is not a one time, one family occurrence. It happens across more than one engine family and more than one manufacturer.

If anything it is an endorsement of what is being attempted rather than a critical review of it.

With respect to the set of adapters you indicate you are looking for, I think you are uniquely qualified to research and find those all by yourself.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.

Last edited by eschaider; 05-29-2016 at 02:09 PM.. Reason: Spelling & Grammar
Old 05-29-2016, 02:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
Who knew "all the fun of a big block" was about the valve covers! ...
Even more amusing, who knew how offended some would get when suggesting putting them on a SB kit car replica, the FFR forum must be rolling on the floor laughing their asses off.
Old 05-29-2016, 03:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Offended, absolutely not.

Dumbfounded and confused, absolutely so

Why is it when someone catches flak over something that it's assumed the other person is offended? We are not discussing transgender bathrooms or political correctness here.
Old 05-29-2016, 04:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
You're missing the mark Buzz!
Ed
Not at all Ed! I know exactly what I want to do and believe me when I tell it's totally unrelated to and uninfluenced by other peoples' fads, trends or opinions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
With respect to the set of adapters you indicate you are looking for, I think you are uniquely qualified to research and find those all by yourself.

Ed
I appreciate the vote of confidence. It takes a real man to openly recognize the positive attributes of his peers.

Old 05-29-2016, 07:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Not Ranked     

I can see both sides.

I sometimes don't get it when people put stuff on an engine to make it look like another engine. I have seen a Pantera 351C with valve covers that made it look like a DOHC engine. It was most likely custom. I can't imagine anyone tooling up for something like that.

On the other hand, I'm not that crazy about Windsor valve covers. I have had several SBFs, and the valve covers look like small block valve covers. They are puny. The FE covers, on the other hand, look the part. I could see using pent roof covers on a stroked 351W in a Cobra. They would probably look awkward on an 8.2" deck block, though.
Old 05-30-2016, 05:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Anyone make adapters to put a 289 FIA valve cover on an FE?
Old 05-30-2016, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

- Ok - good one, I have to admit!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: