Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > 429/460 Engine Talk

Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-26-2015, 11:04 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detroit Bill View Post
I disagree.
You disagree with what?

A) The engine builder is a member of the FE Forum(s) and ClubCobra too?
B) The engine builder monitors and posts on various forums?
C) Problems with SOHC parts are well-documented by FE/SOHC experts such as Jay Brown dating back 5 years?
D) Engine builder built SOHC engine in 2014, which lasted 40 miles with Coon heads and a bad chain drive?
E) Engine builder either ignored KNOWN information on defective parts or knowingly installed said parts and sent a SOHC engine to Australia. And then when engine broke after 40 miles, said engine builder wouldn't honor warranty?

Bill, which one do you disagree with?
Old 02-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 427 S/C, Twin Paxton 511 FE
Not Ranked     

In fairness to all parties, we sometimes blur the lines between warranty-less 'race' parts and what we're used to (daily drivers that get 200,000 miles, no sweat).

How could a builder say to a supplier, "Your part broke, which caused $XX,XXX of damages. Pay me." No parts would get made and no engines would get built.

It's how the builder responds to these issues. Period. Builder and customer are a team, not adversaries.

Would I trust Keith to build me a badass FE? You bet.
Would I trust anybody to build me a new SOHC? Nope. (Perhaps a different topic).
Did Keith handle this well? No.
Could damage have been more patient and understanding. Tough one. Maybe.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe blykins will post about his experiences with Keith Craft and quality of parts he has received from Keith. From what I've read blykins has used Keith Craft many times when precise work is required for some of blykins high end builds. Are you guys ready to say blykins engines are crap where Keith Craft provided some parts? Do you think blykins shows poor judgment in going with Keith Craft as a custom parts supplier? This is the trouble you get into when you take too much stock in one person's claims, and that one apparently having a history of it.
Joe
Old 02-26-2015, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I particularly like these comments. Productive, helpful, descriptive.

Perhaps Keith used his knowledge from years of building engines and experience with all the vendors to make a decision. I don't really think he consulted internet forums. This is where I should insert the roll eyes obnoxious face. Is that how you make decisions for work?

So, you a consumer who writes checks knows better than a person who has worked in the industry for years and created a successful company.

It would be interesting to come to your work wait for something to go wrong and use my "check writing expertise" to set you straight. I am sure I could read the internet and get in depth experience, enough to KNOW for sure what you did wrong.
So, you're saying that Keith knows how to build an engine better than me? I can agree with that. But you're completely missing the discussion.

The engine builder did make a decision. And it appears that his decision was a bad one for Damage, since his engine only lasted 40 miles after he spent $60,000. Great decision-making capability, when there's 5 years of BAD information about Coon heads and chain drives.

As a consumer, I would expect better. The rest of your statements or comments are completely off topic and not relevant.

I'm not an engine builder, the engine builder is the expert. So what? The engine builder installed bad parts and didn't honor the warranty. Engine went bad after 40 miles. Damage will probably spend another $6,000 for Pond heads plus another $10,000 or $20,000 to fix the rest of the crap. By the time he's finished, he may be nearing $100K for a SOHC engine.

I obviously feel awful for Damage, the consumer, who wrote the check. You obviously feel awful for the engine builder, the "expert", who kept the $60,000 and hasn't resolved the problem, a problem that has been unresolved since November 2014 or thereabouts.

Last edited by RodKnock; 02-26-2015 at 11:18 AM..
Old 02-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneym View Post
In fairness to all parties, we sometimes blur the lines between warranty-less 'race' parts and what we're used to (daily drivers that get 200,000 miles, no sweat).

How could a builder say to a supplier, "Your part broke, which caused $XX,XXX of damages. Pay me." No parts would get made and no engines would get built.

It's how the builder responds to these issues. Period. Builder and customer are a team, not adversaries.

Would I trust Keith to build me a badass FE? You bet.
Would I trust anybody to build me a new SOHC? Nope. (Perhaps a different topic).
Did Keith handle this well? No.
Could damage have been more patient and understanding. Tough one. Maybe.
Rodney you have no voice here. Your opinion is not allowed. Dissension amongst us is forbidden. We're closing the Internet forums, because for G-d's sake, a consumer has a legitmate complaint.

Why? Because only a very select few here can actually build an engine for heaven's sake.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Rodney you have no voice here.
No, Rodney agreed with me. That makes him a smart guy. We need to hear more from smart guys.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:27 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Rodney you have no voice here. Your opinion is not allowed. Dissension amongst us is forbidden. We're closing the Internet forums, because for G-d's sake, a consumer has a legitmate complaint.

Why? Because only a very select few here can actually build an engine for heaven's sake.
Check your driveway in 12 weeks.
You may find a crate with a brand new SOHC in it.
Paid for by Pat.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:33 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Check your driveway in 12 weeks.
You may find a crate with a brand new SOHC in it.
Paid for by Pat.
You know, I am feeling generous lately....
Old 02-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You know, I am feeling generous lately....
Excellent!
In that case, please contribute to the "Support the Painting of KMP600 Fund".
Send payments to:
(available upon request)
Old 02-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Excellent!
Send payments to:
(available upon request)
Beige?
RodKnock and rodneym like this.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:41 AM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Beige?

I think we need to hand this back to the grudge match.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

I think we need to hand this back to the grudge match.
Nahhh, they're all dumb. Keith should offer to split all the fix up costs with Damage and Damage should take him up on it. That's how you do business.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Excellent!
Send payments to:
(available upon request)
Say it isn't so.

You're gonna get kicked out of the Jedi temple for this.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You disagree with what?

A) The engine builder is a member of the FE Forum(s) and ClubCobra too?
B) The engine builder monitors and posts on various forums?
C) Problems with SOHC parts are well-documented by FE/SOHC experts such as Jay Brown dating back 5 years?
D) Engine builder built SOHC engine in 2014, which lasted 40 miles with Coon heads and a bad chain drive?
E) Engine builder either ignored KNOWN information on defective parts or knowingly installed said parts and sent a SOHC engine to Australia. And then when engine broke after 40 miles, said engine builder wouldn't honor warranty?

Bill, which one do you disagree with?
A.) The internet is a marketing tool for him not a font of knowledge. He is the one with the experience which is where knowledge comes from. I'll repeat this is a person who has built thousands of motors. He has had motors fail, he has had thousands on the dyno he has seen it all. It is a total insult for you suggest you have an opinion on an engine to him, he has literally forgot more then you now know or will ever know.
B.) The internet is a marketing tool. Do you thinking he is trying to figure out how to build a successful engine from your brilliant posts. The internet is a circle. Research something and if you read long enough you will find people that say it is the greatest thing ever and people that say is it an absolute piece of crap.
C.) How was he to know the chain would fail. Are 100% of Coon heads faulty in your check writing experience? What is the failure rate, how many were made, how many have you used, how many have failed on you. None because you have no experience other than reading internet BS with no way to know what is in fact true and proven. By the way I see the dye test on the head. Is that an acceptable level of porosity? I don't know, do you? Are you certified to use the equipment and read the results, no? Does every engine builder check every part, is the average consumer willing to pay for that?
D.) Apparently that is a fact but we don't know why the chain failed.
E.) Who said he would not honor the warranty? Damage is so busy throwing leaves up in the air it is not clear what he wants. One thing is clear you take Damages word as gospel based on what? I have no idea. He strikes me as an erratic person. Keith on the other hand has been around and supported this community for years with a very good track record.

I suggest you keep shaking your pom pom's. I am trying to suggest that the public lynching you feel is warranted is based on flimsy evidence. And if we were going to call experts to the trial you would have a hard time finding someone more expert than the guy you are trying to hang.

I don't know Keith Craft from Adam but the premise here is ludicrous. Did Keith handle this perfectly, likely not perfect.
BUT he really has said very little. You have heard one side of the story which is the definition of a lynching, mob justice.
Old 02-26-2015, 11:50 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Nahhh, they're all dumb. Keith should offer to split all the fix up costs with Damage and Damage should take him up on it. That's how you do business.
Today, I've been called not only dumb by you, but also "not an expert" by Bill. Sheesh, you guys are going to give me an inferiority complex.

A split 50/50 would be probably be the best solution. So, I'd actually have to agree with you there. There would be still an issue of 50% of what, 50% of $60,000?
Old 02-26-2015, 12:00 PM
Full Blown Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Premier Contributor

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Say it isn't so.

You're gonna get kicked out of the Jedi temple for this.
It's ok. I'm painting it 'Brushed Aluminum".

And you mean there's a temple? I've been hanging out in parking lots.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
A.) The internet is a marketing tool for him not a font of knowledge. He is the one with the experience which is where knowledge comes from. I'll repeat this is a person who has built thousands of motors. He has had motors fail, he has had thousands on the dyno he has seen it all. It is a total insult for you suggest you have an opinion on an engine to him, he has literally forgot more then you now know or will ever know.
B.) The internet is a marketing tool. Do you thinking he is trying to figure out how to build a successful engine from your brilliant posts. The internet is a circle. Research something and if you read long enough you will find people that say it is the greatest thing ever and people that say is it an absolute piece of crap.
C.) How was he to know the chain would fail. Are 100% of Coon heads faulty in your check writing experience? What is the failure rate, how many were made, how many have you used, how many have failed on you. None because you have no experience other than reading internet BS with no way to know what is in fact true and proven. By the way I see the dye test on the head. Is that an acceptable level of porosity? I don't know, do you? Are you certified to use the equipment and read the results, no? Does every engine builder check every part, is the average consumer willing to pay for that?
D.) Apparently that is a fact but we don't know why the chain failed.
E.) Who said he would not honor the warranty? Damage is so busy throwing leaves up in the air it is not clear what he wants. One thing is clear you take Damages word as gospel based on what? I have no idea. He strikes me as an erratic person. Keith on the other hand has been around and supported this community for years with a very good track record.

I suggest you keep shaking your pom pom's. I am trying to suggest that the public lynching you feel is warranted is based on flimsy evidence. And if we were going to call experts to the trial you would have a hard time finding someone more expert than the guy you are trying to hang.

I don't know Keith Craft from Adam but the premise here is ludicrous. Did Keith handle this perfectly, likely not perfect.
BUT he really has said very little. You have heard one side of the story which is the definition of a lynching, mob justice.
The Internet is a "fountain of knowledge" too, do you disagree? It's not just for marketing. If you bothered to read Jay Brown's postings over the years on his own FEPower forum, as well as the FE Forum, anyone, including the engine builder, would have realized there were problems with those parts. Jay Brown is an expert as are many who write on those forums are. BTW, Jay Brown wrote a couple books, which I've actually purchased.

There are postings from the engine builder in the FE Forums at the time there were problems with these SOHC parts.

The chain drives were defective and the failure rate of the Coon heads may not have been 100%, but the defective rate was high. Would you still install parts with a 50% +/- failure rate? I wouldn't.

You haven't read Damage's threads at all. He has made clear what he wants in emails and phone calls to the engine builder. You refuse to read or just ignore it.

40 miles for $60,000. Personally, I don't care if the engine builder built a successful company or even if donates to charities, he built an engine with defective parts, sold it and is not honoring the warranty.

Again, the engine builder was aware that Coon heads had many issues, including porosity problems, and the chain drives had a significant failure rate dating back to 2010. As I said before, the engine builder must have ignored the information.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I suggest you keep shaking your pom pom's.
I knew I should have trademarked and/or copyrighted that phrase. I could be getting royalty checks right about now. I guess I'm not as smart as Marshawn Lynch.

BTW, I shake my pom poms all the time. Exercise is a great way to keep those unwanted lbs off the belly and the Cobra.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, Survival Motorsports aluminum FE 482
Not Ranked     

Quote:
The Internet is a "fountain of knowledge" too, do you disagree? It's not just for marketing. If you bothered to read Jay Brown's postings over the years on his own FEPower forum, as well as the FE Forum, anyone, including the engine builder, would have realized there were problems with those parts. Jay Brown is an expert as are many who write on those forums are. BTW, Jay Brown wrote a couple books, which I've actually purchased.

There are postings from the engine builder in the FE Forums at the time there were problems with these SOHC parts.

The chain drives were defective and the failure rate of the Coon heads may not have been 100%, but the defective rate was high. Would you still install parts with a 50% +/- failure rate? I wouldn't.

You haven't read Damage's threads at all. He has made clear what he wants in emails and phone calls to the engine builder. You refuse to read or just ignore it.

40 miles for $60,000. Personally, I don't care if the engine builder built a successful company or even if donates to charities, he built an engine with defective parts, sold it and is not honoring the warranty.

Again, the engine builder was aware that Coon heads had many issues, including porosity problems, and the chain drives had a significant failure rate dating back to 2010. As I said before, the engine builder must have ignored the information.
I read Damages build thread and this thread in its entirety today so it is fresh in my mind.

He did not post the emails so I don't know what he did or didn't ask for or when he actually sent them. You again have taken his word on what he sent, when and made many assumptions.

Who said he is not honoring the warranty. He asked for a list of parts and Damage said he sent them. What was on this list? Do you know? Was it reasonable? Was in complete, was it understandable, from the list was Keith able to tell something that Damage did not say? I don't know and neither do you.

Anyhow I am bored with the back and forth. Obviously neither one of us is going to change the others opinion. Although a few people have taken my side and none has taken yours.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Anyhow I am bored with the back and forth. Obviously neither one of us is going to change the others opinion. Although a few people have taken my side and none has taken yours.
I don't need others to agree with me for validation. That's not how I'm built.

Here's another example. Let's say you walked into a dealership in the last few years and bought a brand new car. For this example we'll say it's a Honda. A very reliable car, which I didn't build and for which I just wrote a check. I know nothing about cars, but some time later, the air bags when inflated threw metal objects at the occupant(s). We'll call the air bag manufacturer Takata.

Putting aside the fact that manufacturers likely knew of the problem prior to the sale to a consumer, do you think someone should fix the car? Or after 39 miles, the warranty is void? And as a consumer, who just wrote a check for the Honda with the defective airbag and doesn't know a thing about building it, do you think I'm owed some sort of restitution even though I'm not a car builder?

Now granted, a Cammer is not a Honda engine, but not only is my engine still running, there are quite a few members here with "race" engines that are still running, including Rodney's dual Paxton supercharged FE. Built by the same engine builder as my engine BTW.

40 miles is a bad joke IMO.