LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 09:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Nah, no more favors....

I still don't know what this one is going to end up costing me yet...
Old 03-09-2011, 10:04 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
Nah, no more favors....

I still don't know what this one is going to end up costing me yet...
Ahhh, but cost is such a subjective thing. Even objective numbers really just translate down to subjective impressions. And, as we travel down the road of our own mortality, experiencing life's costs, in the end we find the ones we are preoccupied with the most tend to have the least in true value.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Ahhh, but cost is such a subjective thing. Even objective numbers really just translate down to subjective impressions. And, as we travel down the road of our own mortality, experiencing life's costs, in the end we find the ones we are preoccupied with the most tend to have the least in true value.
Don't make me regret this, Patrick....
Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm sure you do already.

I'm just so happy that Patrick didn't give you the "The Money You Spend on a Cobra Should Be Money You Could Throw Away and Not Hurt Your Family's Financial Health" speech.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Just dreaming at this point
Not Ranked     

Quote:
This "free" camshaft is going to have more strings attached than a display booth at a tampon convention
Old 03-09-2011, 10:19 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
I'm just so happy that Patrick didn't give you the "The Money You Spend on a Cobra Should Be Money You Could Throw Away and Not Hurt Your Family's Financial Health" speech.
I used that on the teenager in the other thread. I have a self-imposed quota of limiting myself on that particular usage to no more than 1.5 times per week.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Philosophy, charts, diagrams, sermons, dog pictures, junk-cam science, history real or imagined...and he's just warming up.

Brent you are a nice man but I'll bet the only one in Kentucky that qualifies for the title 'Schmuck'.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

You may be right sir...

I'm still wondering why he has to hold my cam hostage when all of the specs are in this thread....
Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I'm still wondering why he has to hold my cam hostage when all of the specs are in this thread....
It's a control thing. But I will forward it along to you just as soon as I get it and take a couple of pics to post here. Maybe Ellie the Dog will be in them, maybe not, and I will include two bottles of that wonderful liquid gold that I referenced earlier in this thread. Of course, you are free to pour the liquid gold out in your back yard, but at least I will have provided it to you.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Maybe I'll post some pics of what I'll do with that GM stuff....
Old 03-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Maybe I'll post some pics of what I'll do with that GM stuff....
Just make sure that if you decide not to use it that the pics you post are of you recycling it.

Personally, I would use everything he provides to you without change. alteration or modification. Then once the engine does fail, you can start an "I told you so" thread.

Then, when Patrick blames the engine builder and installer, otherwise known as YOU, we'll have another wonderful thread about the flat tappet cams, oil and proper break-in procedures.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:03 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hmmm, I never thought about how bad it would look if he wiped a lobe after refusing to use the cam & lifter prelube that I had so carefully provided him.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, nothing against Patrick but....

If I'm going to do this, I'm going to go with the method of breaking it in that I'm the most familiar with. I won't be experimenting with different lubes, mixes of lubes, voodoo witchcraft, etc. It will be plenty of Comp cam lube, Brad Penn break-in oil, inner springs removed, make sure the lifters rotate, timing already set, and a good carb.

Shoot, I think I may even spring for the Schubecks too....since the cam was free.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

-and all that will work perfectly. The keys are the single spring, immediate start and 60PSI. Broke mine in with a coat of black moly on lobes and lifters, inner spring, Kendall 50wt, and 2000RPM for 20 or so minutes. Whatever ZDDP was in Kendall then was it-no science lab chemical debates then. No flat lobes or nightmares in 2 decades either.
Guys invent a lot of myths and BS because of failures they heard/read about. All those failures were because the installer varied from or omitted the simple steps Brent will do-or the cam metallurgy was bad.

Old 03-10-2011, 07:35 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERA Chas View Post
-and all that will work perfectly. The keys are the single spring, immediate start and 60PSI. Broke mine in with a coat of black moly on lobes and lifters, inner spring, Kendall 50wt, and 2000RPM for 20 or so minutes. Whatever ZDDP was in Kendall then was it-no science lab chemical debates then. No flat lobes or nightmares in 2 decades either.
Guys invent a lot of myths and BS because of failures they heard/read about. All those failures were because the installer varied from or omitted the simple steps Brent will do-or the cam metallurgy was bad.
I agree with Chas. Brent will do just fine; I have faith in him.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I appreciate that.

I did make some more decisions on the top end. Joe Craine (head porter in TX) will be doing some port work to the Edelbrock heads when I order them. I've used him before on some SBF heads and I have a lot of respect for the man's talent. He's getting 330cfm @.700" by hand porting. Of course I won't see anywhere near that amount of peak lift, so my results will be a little less. However, to meet my goal, I'm thinking I'll need at least 300-310cfm. Shouldn't be a problem.

Since I'm not running really high spring pressures, I may do a little valve guide work and grab a set of Ferrea valves with some smaller stems.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I did make some more decisions on the top end. Joe Craine (head porter in TX) will be doing some port work to the Edelbrock heads when I order them.
Smart. Rick Lake says Joe C. is God's Gift to Head Porting.
Old 03-10-2011, 07:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

Since you are going to be stroking this thingie----and side clearance will be an area that needs some attention----you can relieve(notch) the sides of the rods so that more oil will sling up on the camshaft---A lot of these cam/lifter failures can be traced to inadquate rod side clearance
Old 03-10-2011, 08:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Nothing against the porter but if the cost of the heads plus his labor exceeds $2800 you could buy CNC'd Shelby Stage II's and just bolt 'em on.
Mine are 320 at .600 with a raised exhaust port floor. Ferreas, Ti retainers and 360lb. springs.
Jus' sayin'...
Old 03-10-2011, 08:02 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post
Since you are going to be stroking this thingie----and side clearance will be an area that needs some attention----you can relieve(notch) the sides of the rods so that more oil will sling up on the camshaft---A lot of these cam/lifter failures can be traced to inadquate rod side clearance
And Jerry, surely you've used the GM Cam & Lifter Prelube. This is primo stuff that I've been saving for just such an occasion.

Last edited by patrickt; 10-25-2016 at 08:14 AM..