17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree76Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2020, 06:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Former owner of Long Live the Bow tie Contemporary #102 427 Chevy .30 over Merlin heads 11to1, TBI injection
Not Ranked     

I had a ride in a Arntz Cobra with a 426 Hemi , it was fantastic!
Old 05-19-2020, 08:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
I had a ride in a Arntz Cobra with a 426 Hemi , it was fantastic!
hopefully it was something like a KB
Old 05-19-2020, 08:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
There are a lot of great engines! Sometimes , it’s hard to pick! I agree, I would not put a hemi in a camaro.

Interesting thought! So which car is the male?
dunno, they're up to 31 genders in NYC right now, I think Male is just one of them. Not sure Cobra or Corvette are recognized yet but why not....
Old 05-19-2020, 11:46 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Pacific Roadster, 347 cu.in. 5-speed
Not Ranked     
Default Case in point.

Come'on guys, this is getting silly Case in Point : We had a gentlemen last year call me to ask if he may join us at a big show (1000+ cars, we brought 14 Cobras) with his, I said sure the more the merrier. He shows up with a nicely done Cobra, spent years building it, and was justly proud, then he opens the hood and there in all it's glory is a 454 Chevy. Well you can imagine the horror we were shocked, how dare he , we quietly asked him to lower the hood, and keep it down Now if ANYONE believes that story they don't know our group here (PNW Region), He was welcomed with open arms, and has become a good friend to everyone in our group. Chill Gentleman, life's too short. Cheers TommyRot.

Last edited by Alfa02; 05-19-2020 at 11:50 PM..
Old 05-20-2020, 12:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I have no idea what a 427 SO cost back in the day, but it is a little hard to believe it was significantly more than a 426 Hemi back in the day. Maybe quite a bit less. However to assert that independent racers could not afford Ford engines, which would certainly mean they couldn't afford Mopar either, doesn't seem to me to hold water. If this were true, why did independent racer ever race any Cobra's? I also have to ask just how much could have a 427 SO cost if you could buy the entire car new for ~$5K?

I recall watching Nascar races on TV a lot when those engines were raced. I recall a race when the first dozen cars (give or take) alternated between Ford and Mopar. The big block Chevy's seemed to run very fast, but couldn't stay together long enough to finish the race. I'm not so sure a Chevy engine was cheaper to use when you add up all the costs of trying to keep them on the track.

Also GM had Pontiac, Oldsmobile, Buick, and Chevy. All totally separate engine designs. If GM did win more races in some years (which I do not doubt), how many GM wins were Chevy?

This is all interesting to debate, but has absolutely nothing to do with what engines were in Shelby Cobra's. They were Ford engines. Even if some clown put something other than a Ford engine in a Cobra back in the day, what does that prove, other than he was indeed a clown?

Although there is a rumor that Shelby went to Chevy first and was turned down. It is just a rumor. I believe the official story was that Shelby was aware that Ford about to put the new small block engine into service (or had just introduced it), when he started negotiations with AC. The small size and weight was likely to work in the AC car. The small block Chevy was both physically larger and heavier. I doubt he would have wanted to go with a Chevy if he could get the smaller lighter Ford engine, when you consider what AC had been using.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
..... I believe the official story was that Shelby was aware that Ford about to put the new small block engine into service (or had just introduced it), when he started negotiations with AC. The small size and weight was likely to work in the AC car. The small block Chevy was both physically larger and heavier. I doubt he would have wanted to go with a Chevy if he could get the smaller lighter Ford engine, when you consider what AC had been using.
olddog, I agree. Your logic seems sound. Replacing the AC engine with a 260 SBF at around 450 lb rather than a Chev SB at around 550 lb, with the SBF physically smaller than the Chev unit as well, would seem to have been the best way forward.

Cheers,
Glen
Old 05-20-2020, 02:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor maine View Post
And Chevy/GM engines they have never have never won anything??? ( Because I have read that GM powered cars have more titles than all other manufacturers combined, FACT)
Dude, I enjoy your enthusiasm, and banter... but that's just NOT true. Unless it was in one form of series.

I'm not a Ford, GM, Hemi, or other fanboy, I just don't care about badges. That said the TRUTH is FORD are the only manufacturer that have won open class races at every level. From F1 to oval series, to rally, to touring car, to truck series, to drag racing, to LeMans to... you name it.

The brand, to their credit has an enviable and unparralle level of achievement in that space.
1795 likes this.

Last edited by Dimis; 05-20-2020 at 02:39 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My question is:

are there any reasons to put NOT a Ford 289 into a small block Cobra?

It is one of the most produced, most reliable, winningest and most affordable high performance engines ever.
It has history, prestige and is the ONLY original engine for a small block Cobra (apart from a 260).
It is pretty available at every corner (at least the sixbolt ones) and you can install some real originality into your car.
It was and is used in many racecars as Cobra, GT40, TVR Griffith, Mustang and many others and destroys six figures Ferrari V12 Colombo engines whenever they meet until today.
Old 05-20-2020, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shamrock
Not Ranked     

Further to my previous post - I find the whole argument mildly amusing. I would imagine if Ford - Chevy was make or break in how your replica was viewed then rectangular or round tubed chassis and Glass or Aluminium body, or replica vs genuine wheels and suspension, and even gauge selection would be equally in the spotlight.

Hey guys - lets get real - what we have are hotrods in the image of a cobra, and what I want is to experience the sound and fun and all the good feelings that come in owning a car that touches my heart and sense of nostalgia, whilst knowing that I can never afford an original. I look at my car and see a COBRA and feel real good. I don't see the engine or any of the other stuff. I just know there is an All American V8 waiting to be unleashed and again I feel good. I start it and pull away and again I feel good. All this I get wether it is a Chevy or a Ford.
Mike I, Thor maine, Gaz64 and 3 others like this.

Last edited by Snake2998; 05-20-2020 at 03:46 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Ford didn't make the CSX Cobra's differentials. They are Salisbury 4HU diffs
Um..yes. That is what I said.
xb-60 likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Looking to buy
Not Ranked     

I guess this thread is all about the timeless rivalry between ford and chevy. We cannot resist opening it to see what is up.

I have always been a sucker for the small ford engine because of the Cobra connection. I was about 13 when it came out. I loved the story.

The engine is excellent too.
Old 05-20-2020, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 427, 5.0/Supercharged
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake2998 View Post

Hey guys - lets get real - what we have are hotrods in the image of a cobra, and what I want is to experience the sound and fun and all the good feelings that come in owning a car that touches my heart and sense of nostalgia, whilst knowing that I can never afford an original.
As I said earlier and whole heartedly agree. I have a neighbor/ ex-client (before I retired) that has 2 original 427 Cobras in his collection. I'm not sure he has ever driven either of the cars on the street- too valuable! But his real passion to collect and drive are early 60's cars that most of us overlook. He loves Buick Skylarks, Olds Cutlass, Buicks and Pontiacs. As well as small Triumphs and MGs.

The Cobras make him proud to own, but for him they are more of an investment because he cannot drive them. And I can tell you he is a passionate car guy. He made his fortune starting and owning a majority of the public parking lots in downtown Chicago. Actually has a full time employee that maintains/restores his collection.

We are all here because e=we love the sight, sound and smell of cars, in all of their iterations. We have our preferences and we have been blessed with the ability to chase our "dream car". But I would be willing to bet that if all we could own/drive was a Corvair (sorry Corvair lovers) we would have one!

Unit Gear Heads in our passion and embrace all owners of anyone that owns a car that is proud of his/her ownership!

Thom
Old 05-20-2020, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Corvairs are cool!

Their value is coming up the last decade or so but probably the value is still influenced by Nader's book.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR Cobra 3169
Not Ranked     

Lets go back to the original post. If you put a Chevy engine in you're Cobra, then your not going to disguise it as a Ford. So why would you disguise a electric motor as a petrol engine. Is someone going to open the bonnet and go, wow it's really a Ford engine, and it's sooo quiet. JD
Old 05-20-2020, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, I wouldn't put electric in mine but I would not criticize someone who does. Their money, their choice.
Old 05-20-2020, 07:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydee View Post
If you put a Chevy engine in you're Cobra, then your not going to disguise it as a Ford. JD
Don't be surprised. Lots of guys go through serious pains to make things look what they're not.

1. Valve cover adapters to put Ford valve covers on Chevy engines. (Seen it.)
2. Valve cover adapters to make a SBF look like an FE. (Seen it.)
3. GLUING bolt heads to the side of an FE block to make it look like a 427. (Seen it.)
Jaydee likes this.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Hey guys - lets get real - what we have are hotrods in the image of a cobra, and what I want is to experience the sound and fun and all the good feelings that come in owning a car that touches my heart and sense of nostalgia, whilst knowing that I can never afford an original. I look at my car and see a COBRA and feel real good. I don't see the engine or any of the other stuff. I just know there is an All American V8 waiting to be unleashed and again I feel good. I start it and pull away and again I feel good. All this I get wether it is a Chevy or a Ford.
So back in 1977 when GM decided to quietly slip Chevy engines into Oldsmobile cars, why did that matter?

As the result of a class action law suit, over 10,000 people who bought Oldsmobiles with Chevrolet engines before April 10, 1977, were entitled to refunds of $550 each.

https://www.nytimes.com/1981/06/28/u...f-engines.html

Granted the decision was based on false advertisement, but that is how most general public folks feel, when they walk up to a replica of a Cobra to see a Chevy engine in it. They are all excited when they see the car. Then they walk up and see the Chevy engine and get a rush of emotions. Shock, disappointment, and betrayal to name a few. False advertising sums it up.

Some may speak out angrily, and the owner thinks that person is a jerk. Most will choke back the vomit and try to say something nice. Certainly many are clueless or don't care. Since they have that in common with the owner, they are likely to carry on a conversation. But I come back to the ones that spoke out. Although the minority, are they really the jerk, or are they just too honest?

Last edited by olddog; 05-20-2020 at 11:35 AM..
Old 05-20-2020, 11:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Further to my previous post - I find the whole argument mildly amusing. I would imagine if Ford - Chevy was make or break in how your replica was viewed then rectangular or round tubed chassis and Glass or Aluminium body, or replica vs genuine wheels and suspension, and even gauge selection would be equally in the spotlight.
.... and they have been debated many times on this site, and advertising points among the replica manufacturers.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog View Post
Granted the decision was based on false advertisement, but that is how most general public folks feel, when they walk up to a replica of a Cobra to see a Chevy engine in it. They are all excited when they see the car. Then they walk up and see the Chevy engine and get a rush or emotions. Shock, disappointment, and betrayal to name a few. False advertising sums it up.
That gets back to my underlying premise....

Do you want a kit car or do you want a replica?

Most guys at a car show want to see a replica. They want to walk up, see a 427 side oiler or a 289. Seeing something else reminds them of a Fiero with a body kit made to look like a Ferrari, or a VW made to look like a Porsche 356.

Kit cars have less of a presence, reputation, and value.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M Cobra - RCR GT40
Not Ranked     

Wow, I've heard pretentious nonsense before on this site, but olddog and blykins, you guys elevate it to a higher art form.

Very, very few cobra owners can truly lay claim to building/owning exact replicas of original cars. olddog, by your own admission you own a "67 427 cobra SB," exactly what original model does that replicate? And blykins, you're "Cobra-less!"

You guys don't own replicas any more than I do, so get off your high horse.