Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2020, 01:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett Morrision FE 427 so 2-4s
Not Ranked     
Default Quick detachable steering wheel

Any one used a quick detachable steering wheel. I'm getting fat and the legs do not bend as they used to. Me getting in and out of the car especially with the new soft top on is a source of entertainment for anybody watching. How did it work or not work for you? Which one's to stay away from? Recommendations? Oh to be young and thin again.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: '65 Shelby Cobra, '66 Shelby GT350's
Not Ranked     

Sparco and OMP are two quality manufacturers of quick release wheels hubs and steering wheels.
And added plus having a removable wheel is it discourages car theft, you simply lock the wheel in the trunk or remove it entirely. You might look at a smaller diameter wheel as a cheaper alternative to a quick release option.

https://www.sparcousa.com/quick-release
RUFdriver likes this.

6S1806, 1966 Shelby GT350 B/P Race car.
6S246, Shelby GT350 "carryover"
6S1745 Shelby GT350
Old 07-24-2020, 03:49 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

The biggest advantage of my QR wheel is that it allows me to work under the dash much easier. I guess a second advantage is that it's very easy to adjust the orientation of the wheel so I can see the gauges just right.

AndrewB, eschaider, hauss and 1 others like this.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #829, Ford 427
Not Ranked     

I originally didn’t order my ERA with it but changed it later. Makes it easy to worm on things as Patrick notes. A worth while spend.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 3012
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCKW353 View Post
I originally didn’t order my ERA with it but changed it later. Makes it easy to worm on things as Patrick notes. A worth while spend.
100% agree. It was one of the best options I ordered on my ERA. It makes things so much easier, and I suppose it would be a decent theft detterant. It's well worth the money.
desgros@vtlink. likes this.
Old 07-25-2020, 06:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: UCC GT 427
Not Ranked     

Any number of race car shops offer quick release steering wheels. Just make sure they’re legal in your state. Assuming a state inspector even knows what it is...
Old 07-25-2020, 09:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

I really like mine. This really is a simple Bolt on for the BDR

Steering Wheel Quick Release
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 07-26-2020, 11:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

How did I miss all this earlier? Thank you for all the connections. Is there any options with these systems where the center horn button can still work? Any second thoughts after the fact? My truism for every advantage there is some disadvantage , look around before you decide, after you've made your choice, it's still yours.
Old 07-26-2020, 11:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, supercharged Coyote
Not Ranked     

It all depends on what steering column you have. For the FFR, there's no way. For the DBR, the wiring is there, you just need to make the connections. For a classic roadsters, it's designed that way, and part of the instructions.
NASA Rocky Mountain TTU #42
www.RacingtheExocet.com
BDR #1642 - Supercharged Coyote, 6 speed Auto
Old 07-27-2020, 11:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm guessing I have a MG or Triumph column. It has two control levers one for turn signal and the other head lamp HI-LOW. I have a traditional a 14", chrome and wood , six screw steering wheel, wrapped in leather. The wheel has a raised padded center and a horn button that works. The wheel only misses the left corner top cowl, above the dash, by 1 3/4" so a 2" set back may work out.

I have been looking around and the lead is the Sparco, old school, and the NRG The NRG have the electrical connections but seem to wear out by wallowing out the ball sockets so it rattles after a few months of use even with air craft grade aluminum. The Sparco old school has grease on the splines, and I have a tendency to get any grease on everything without much deliberate effort. I can see where the steering wheel being removed is a help but of coarse I'll be using the column as a aid in getting in and out just because it's there, So that is where I'll end up getting the grease on everything.

Last edited by Michael C Henry; 07-27-2020 at 11:31 AM..
Old 07-27-2020, 11:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
The biggest advantage of my QR wheel is that it allows me to work under the dash much easier. I guess a second advantage is that it's very easy to adjust the orientation of the wheel so I can see the gauges just right.

Which QR system did you use Patrickt and does it have any free play that the driver can feel in the steering wheel?

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 07-27-2020, 12:16 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaider View Post
Which QR system did you use Patrickt and does it have any free play that the driver can feel in the steering wheel?

Ed
That QR is custom made by the elves at ERA. It's totally invisible, but for two little finger holes on the side of the column that release the wheel. There is no increased length in the column itself and there is absolutely no free play whatsoever. Note that the automatic turn signal canceller still works as well. It really is a testament to someone's clever thinking. I just Googled it on ERA's site and it looks like they want $850 for it now, I think I paid half that 15 years ago.
Old 07-27-2020, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
That QR is custom made by the elves at ERA. It's totally invisible, but for two little finger holes on the side of the column that release the wheel. There is no increased length in the column itself and there is absolutely no free play whatsoever. Note that the automatic turn signal canceller still works as well. It really is a testament to someone's clever thinking. I just Googled it on ERA's site and it looks like they want $850 for it now, I think I paid half that 15 years ago.
Looks like a very nicely engineered system you have there Pat.
I would love to be able to remove my steering wheel whenever working under the dash.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 07-27-2020, 05:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #259
Not Ranked     

Looks like a Sweet Quick-Disconnect release....that’s what we used...
Old 07-30-2020, 02:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I just watched a video where they were installing a SWEET system on a VW bug that turn signal lever looks just like the one just pictured above.
There seems to be a hard line separation between QR adapters on street cars with a horn and so fourth, and track cars no horn. I don't trust the NRG adapters with the ball bearing are being used for keeping things together and turning input. The NRG are made of air craft grade aluminum but still wear, replacement is expected.
The SPARCO and SWEET MFG systems are more intentional , longer lasting. but no one has over come the wiring connection aspect to make the horn in the wheel center work. I want he SWEET system but do not want to give up the horn on the wheel. I can't be the first.
Old 07-30-2020, 02:57 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

My turn signal pictured above is indeed a VW signal. Now, if I was crafting a horn button on my steering column, I wouldn't hard wire it (that's way too hard <pun>) -- I would have a small, battery operated wireless sending unit activated by the horn button, and the receiver is right under the dash and activates the horn relay which makes the sound. Think about it, the fob on your ignition key lasts for years and the actual guts on the inside of that fob is no bigger than a couple of quarters stacked on one another. And I bet you don't blow your horn more than one full minute total every five years.
Old 07-31-2020, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

For now a Sweet MFG unit looks kike the winner but I still want the horn button in the steering wheel to work. I stumbled on to a thread on a GT40 site where they were going with Amphenol connecters. mounted into the QR components They look like the cannon plug contacts the military use. Great weather resistant connections but not a spring loaded just shove together, like I'd use on a QR steering conversion. I like the NRG electric connection but not the aluminum and ball bearing joinery. I want the reliability of the Sweet Mfg. unit but still want the electric horn connections. A store bought piece is not likely but the where with all to make such a conversion seems possible.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Have horn button on dash, people can hear car 4 blocks away, sets off alarms on parked cars as passing by, pedestrians can feel car block away, never have used horn in anger ha ha. Side note paint stripe on inside of wheel adapter and outside of spline, that way you don't have to adjust wheel to be straight as your traveling down the road 45 mph you can get it straight before flight.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:12 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jeez, I know I could fab this in to the column without breaking a sweat, thank you very much.
https://www.amazon.com/Wolo-RC-100-W.../dp/B00LJ19V4U

Old 07-31-2020, 04:40 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: E-M / Power Performance / 521 stroker / Holley HP EFI
Not Ranked     

Oh, my! Now I have to expose my age a bit. This gadget reminds me of a catalog from my youth printed by the Johnson Smith Novelty Company:
Attached Images