Mate the wheel is on the RIGHT side !
Paintwerks likes this.

Harrison #100
Old 05-24-2017, 10:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA with a 347 cu in engine
Not Ranked     

I have really enjoyed reading this thread, it is helping me pass the time until my cobra is delivered sometime in early June. I don't even have mine yet and people are already asking for rides. I cannot even imagine how it is going to be when I actually have it in my possession. Keep the stories coming. These cars are amazing with regards to how people react to them.
Paintwerks and RugbyRef like this.
Old 05-25-2017, 07:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mark III, Carbed Explorer 302
Not Ranked     
Default Another one...

Ok, took the Cobra out for another nice run (the daughter was mad she didn't go last night) Cruising down the main drag, hauling up on me came a real nice '64 Ford Fairlane 2 door. I took a turn and he followed me, took another he followed me again. We had nice little run going. Nothing too fast, but with a little spirit in it. I pulled over figuring he wanted to talk but no, he drove by. Ok, I follow him a bit. Until we come up on a stop light, so I pull up and ask him, "What do you have in it,?" he responds, "289." I say, "Sweet!" And give him a big thumbs up. He says "What's in yours?", 302! He gives the response......"Sacrilege", I give him the look I reserve for only the dumbest of idiots I run across and look forward, shaking my head. On clue the light turns green, and I leave his f&$king taxi cab driving @ss in the dust.

"Yeah, it has a Mother F$&king 302"

Proud owner of FFR1004630RD '01 Explorer 302, FRPP B-Cam, Holley S/A 670, HD T-5, Wilwood pedals, 3 link, Koni shocks, 17" Bullett wheels, Baer brakes, Classic gauges, I-Squared wiring, Jaguar Racing Green w/Sliver Stripes

Tagged and road ready in NYSas of 6-5-09 Life is GREAT!

My build log http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/cobra-build-logs/80663-my-cobra-build.html

If you live "Upstate" near Albany, NY send me a PM. Our Cobra gang is growing and looking for new members!
Old 06-07-2017, 07:38 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique motorcars, 351 Windsor 4 speed top loader, ford front end, jaguar rear.
Not Ranked     

I just purchased my first Cobra, so I told my 12 year old daughter to jump in and we would go get gas. In the three mile ride, we had three passing cars put their windows down and vigorously wave. When we got to the Royal farm store and pulled up to the pump, a lady pumping gas at the island said "WOW what a gorgeous car". We finished up, took a little ride and arrived back home. Before we exited the car, my daughter said with a huge smile " Dad, you have to take me to school in this thing!" The thrill of driving my own Cobra, hearing that wonderful music coming from the pipes, and her smile was just mind blowing. I dont know if thats recognition, but it sure felt great.
mate and Jaydee like this.
Old 06-07-2017, 07:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary Classics, red white stripes
Neutral     

For what's it worth, the thrill doesn't go away, and neither does the recognition.

Don't park your car in the garage only to take it to shows. Drive it. A lot. You won't regret it.

The real tragedy is to reach an age where you don't appreciate it anymore, so you sell it with 50 miles on the odometer.
cycleguy55 likes this.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkooiman View Post
For what's it worth, the thrill doesn't go away, and neither does the recognition.

Don't park your car in the garage only to take it to shows. Drive it. A lot. You won't regret it.

The real tragedy is to reach an age where you don't appreciate it anymore, so you sell it with 50 miles on the odometer.
Agree wholeheartedly. I want to ensure I have more memories than regrets when they put me in the ground.
Leecbr likes this.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast, 460 CID
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICBomber90 View Post
Ok, took the Cobra out for another nice run (the daughter was mad she didn't go last night) Cruising down the main drag, hauling up on me came a real nice '64 Ford Fairlane 2 door. I took a turn and he followed me, took another he followed me again. We had nice little run going. Nothing too fast, but with a little spirit in it. I pulled over figuring he wanted to talk but no, he drove by. Ok, I follow him a bit. Until we come up on a stop light, so I pull up and ask him, "What do you have in it,?" he responds, "289." I say, "Sweet!" And give him a big thumbs up. He says "What's in yours?", 302! He gives the response......"Sacrilege", I give him the look I reserve for only the dumbest of idiots I run across and look forward, shaking my head. On clue the light turns green, and I leave his f&$king taxi cab driving @ss in the dust.

"Yeah, it has a Mother F$&king 302"
You should hand out copies of this article to idiots like that. 260 CID, 0-60 MPH in 4.2 seconds: Shelby CSX2000 Road Test - The Original Cobra
Old 07-26-2017, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1968 GT350, FFR Daytona Coupe
Not Ranked     
Default Ah Yes !

I was at a cruise in Monday. Two Police Officers were looking over my Daytona. They wanted to borrow it for the remainder of their shift Hmmm , Sure ! If I could wear their gun and holster. ( With one bullet in pocket LOL).
The fun never stops.

The Nut
Old 08-16-2017, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory5 Mark3 Cobra, 289ci
Not Ranked     

I've had a lot of positive reactions so far, but on Monday a woman asked me
"Is that authentic?"
---"All the real ones are in museums." I said.
"Yea, but is THAT one authentic?"
---Light turns green so I just drive away.

Few minutes later the same jeep passes me, beeps right in my ear 3 times, and the male driver gives me a thumbs down flyby.

My instant reaction was to just laugh. Kinda annoyed by it though.
~CM
Old 08-17-2017, 02:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: West Coast Cobra w/ Centrifugally Blown Big Block, Pickles, Onions, on a Sesame Seed Bun.
Not Ranked     
Default Response.

My favorite response is, "What?"

Usually, 3 rounds is all it takes for them to go away.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance, 427 FE
Not Ranked     

I took a buddy of mine to a cruise in. On the way we had our picture taken by other motorists at least 3 times. then as we were parking a few more photos. He gets out and says, wow this new coat must make me look good.

A different trip. Took the car to a dinner and pulled up alongside a very nice mustang. My big block had the right tone that at idle it set of his car alarm. When he came out to shut it off. I told him I think my car scared yours. He smiled and said, yeah, with good reason. Then we talked cars.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427, 427/487 side-oiler
Not Ranked     

It's not the latest, it happened last summer. I went for a drive with my daughter to Pescadero, on the Northern California coast. When we came out of the little coffee shop there, Sergey Brin (Google founder) was admiring my car. He asked a bunch of questions about building the car with my kids, and we had a good conversation. He even had me take his photo in front of the car.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Since my car is being revived (new engine) and my excitement grows, I have read all of the posts here and it brings back memories.

I was taking the cobra to a track day. Top of and a chilly morning. I am heading down the highway and my ears and nose was cold. So I put on my full face helmet to keep my head warm.
After a while I see a cop has a car pulled over on the side of the highway. I am sure they heard me coming and the both turned to look. They never took their eyes off and both gave a thumbs up. Imagine the look of seeing a race looking car, loud as heck with the driver suited up helmet and all.
Old 08-23-2017, 11:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I take my high maintenance X GF to a cruise in with the Cobra. Heck here breasts costs half of what my engine cost. There is a "is it real" joke in here someplace. She spends time picking out the best outfit for the show. I have my car shirt and jeans.
At the show, the car gets way more attention than she does (her words) so after we cruise to a restaurant for dinner. And what is in the lot, but a copper skinned Cobra!
A quick look at the patrons and I think I spot the guy. Car shirt and jeans and a binged out woman with him. I stop at his table and sure enough both were his. He looked in the lot when he heard mine pull up so within minutes we are Cobra buddies talking about the cars and ignoring our gals.
My girl turns to his gal and asks, doesn't it upset you at all the attention these cars get? And that gets them talking about how they are upset by the attention these cars get both by they boyfriends and the passerby's.
So I guess, fake cobras get more attention than fake breasts, at least when they are side by side.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance #678
Not Ranked     
Default Ooooops

So the wife and I decided to take the cobra to Lowes for a quick errand this morning. As we are loping idle at a stop light a guy rides by on his bicycle looking at the car and then crosses the side road.
As he makes it to the other side he looks back again as I watch him go ass over teakettle while running into the curb instead of the curb cutout.

I felt sorry for him as he got up and brushed himself off😲
Old 08-02-2020, 03:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft 427w
Not Ranked     

After a good meal at a local Mexican joint, a buddy and I headed to our cars in the lot. I noticed about 5 guys following us and their wives or girlfriends trailed them a short ways back. I kinda chuckled and asked "what's up"? One guy spoke up and said they heard me drive in and waited for us to finish eating and now wanted to hear the Cobra fire up.

I got a kick out of that and said if I was going to entertain them they could kick in some gas money. Ha ha
FredG likes this.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:06 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone star 351w /408cu.in.
Not Ranked     

Out for my weekly spin thru the ‘hood and a big guy waves at me as i go buy. It looked like he was trying to wave me down so i stopped, backed up and shut it down. He comes over in flip flops, shorts, t shirt, all 350 plus pounds and is very excited about the cobra. The usual “is it real?” What engine etc and it looks great. I say thanks etc, then ask him if he wants a ride. Guy is 67, limps badly, extremely large, all of sudden cannot believe I am offering. He says “you’re kidding right?” Nope say I. Jump in. I have a lonestar with the longer body, doors etc but he has to sqeeeeeeze in. Looks on his face are priceless. Smiling like he won the lottery. So we go around the block and he is just over the moon. Get back to his house and I have. To help him out as he is crippled up from back injury, but happy as a lark. His wife takes a picture of him next to they car and after a few more minutes of chat. I depart. Another happy customer. Probably my favorite thing. Get people into the car, take pictures, answer questions, give them a ride. A wonderful way to fan the flames. Get a kid in the car and chances are it is a life long story for them. An adult, well they can dream and maybe move closer to doing something about it. These cars once built are something to be shared.
Old 06-18-2023, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone star 351w /408cu.in.
Not Ranked     

Out for my weekly spin thru the ‘hood and a big guy waves at me as i go buy. It looked like he was trying to wave me down so i stopped, backed up and shut it down. He comes over in flip flops, shorts, t shirt, all 350 plus pounds and is very excited about the cobra. The usual “is it real?” What engine etc and it looks great. I say thanks etc, then ask him if he wants a ride. Guy is 67, limps badly, extremely large, all of sudden cannot believe I am offering. He says “you’re kidding right?” Nope say I. Jump in. I have a lonestar with the longer body, doors etc but he has to sqeeeeeeze in. Looks on his face are priceless. Smiling like he won the lottery. So we go around the block and he is just over the moon. Get back to his house and I have. To help him out as he is crippled up from back injury, but happy as a lark. His wife takes a picture of him next to they car and after a few more minutes of chat. I depart. Another happy customer. Probably my favorite thing. Get people into the car, take pictures, answer questions, give them a ride. A wonderful way to fan the flames. Get a kid in the car and chances are it is a life long story for them. An adult, well they can dream and maybe move closer to doing something about it. These cars once built are something to be shared.
Old 06-18-2023, 09:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my EM.
Not Ranked     

The weather was unexpectedly good yesterday in central Alabama so I went to two cruise ins. As there were no Cobras at either event, my Cheetah story will have to do. The highlights of my day were when I let selected kids sit in my car. I can say without exaggeration that due to its color and rarity, my car was the one most popular with kids. The first kid I invited to sit in my car was Tim, a three year old who was seeing the show from his perch on his dad's shoulders. As i talked with his dad I noticed Tim's fascination with my car, and I noticed that his dad was carrying him because he appeared to have dwarfism. Tim was all smiles as his dad lowered him down into the seat and I closed the door for a picture. The second kid was Norrie, a five year old boy who was with his grandfather. He started toward my car in a rush as soon as he saw it and his grandfather held him back with a reminder about not touching the cars. Norrie obeyed and with grandpa's approval I guided him into the driver's seat. Grandpa had to go back to his car to get his phone, but they both left with a picture neither one expected when they arrived. A few minutes later I saw a middle aged woman with her eight year old daughter approach with big eyes. We were in a very small town and their clothes signaled a blue collar life with few luxuries. I introduced myself and invited the girl, Melissa, to sit in the car. Her excitement at seeing the car turned to joy as she slid in behind the wheel so mom could take a picture. She was still looking back over her shoulder at the car when they finally walked away.

I met some nice and some interesting car guys and enjoyed most of those conversations too. But seeing kids faces when they got to do something they never imagined they could was my favorite part.
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity." - Hanlon's Razor
Old 06-19-2023, 08:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique FIA
Not Ranked     

Went by a local breakfast place. An older couple were leaving and asked if they could look at my car. Old man walks up to my car and taps it and gets in his truck. Lady walks back in.

"My husband says your cars a fake but I still like it"!
Harpoon PV2 likes this.