Like Tree8Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2007, 09:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Oh man. My Cobra has BOTH swirl marks & paint chips AT THE SAME TIME and I love it! Any Guitar players out there? Fender makes a line of high-end guitars called "Closet Classics". They are new premium build Stratocasters that are aged and roughed-up ON PURPOSE to look like a well-worn, cherished, old guitar, while playing and performing like a new guitar. These are very expensive and they are covered with chips, cracks, and stains. They are very cool! And the best part is, if you accidentally make a nick, chip, or scratch in it, nobody will ever notice because it makes it look better! Now call me weird, but I really like a Cobra that looks like it has been around the block a few times. Chips, scratches, dents (oops, fiberglass does not dent) and blemishes add to the character of a loved herloom car. Car guys call chips and scratches damaged goods and promptly get them repaired. I call them badges of honor. -John
Old 09-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim Wintz, tough to put most of us in a 'box' labeled 'gear head' or whatever. Through the years I've put together various projects (unrelated to cars) and found immense enjoyment and satisfaction 'specifying' the details and over seeing the project that others built.

Just picking the car, deciding options, choosing the motor, trans, rear gearing, cam and carb can be quite a challenge, even if you simply write the check(s) in the end. I think most of us fall some where between a complete builder and a partial installer. Of course, and I'm guilty of this as well, we love to bash the 'check writers' on occasion and 'puff up' the 'real' builders, but we each choose our road to the same end. A Cobra we can call our own.

There generally is more respect for the guy that really does build his car from a kit, like there is a certain respect for the guys that drive the cars and drive them hard. I did not build my car, but I searched for it, knew what I wanted and was thrilled when I found it. When the motor blew up I was OK with that! I had a great time building my new engine to MY specs (and I wrote a LOT of checks along the way, with an original 'BIC' of course). I would NOT have done it without Club Cobra and being able to stand on the shoulders of giants who came before me.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:31 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

After reading through the threads (I commented back on page one) I realized that this guy probably really wanted a good Cobra, but maybe some outside influences combined with some not-so-good luck with his first cars helped him to bail. Certainly a Corvette can give someone fits if they don't know how to correct problems (if not under warranty). If he in fact had wife issues or kid issues, he would not have the patience to overcome what he really wanted, which was a good running Cobra. I would have suggested a milder engine (much like my own) to go along with his Kirkham. Nobody says you must have six hundred horsepower, which is a lot of effing horsepower. And now maybe he thinks he has to justify bailing on the Cobra dream just because his didn't work out.
When all is said and done, I'll bet he's not done with Cobras...just has to put some other things in order. If we didn't crucify him (myself included), maybe he would have returned to this forum when he was ready.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Rob, I attempted to send you another PM, but keep getting a blocked message.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ZOERA, I think you hit it right on the head. I am fully aware that we build these cars for US! But some people just aren't willing to sacrifice their family for their cobra. For all we know, his wife loved that he had his dream car, but refused to ride in it because she didn't like the smell or whatever! Having the vette gives him more seat time and a better chance to spend some time with his family. It's real hard to justify a $100k cobra and a $50k vette when you have kids.

Some people are meant for this, some are not.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch
Some people are meant for this, some are not.
A nice, civil closing line.

...now, we can all move on.

Since the original text was deleted by the thread originator....we've lost context anyhow.

Last edited by computerworks; 09-08-2007 at 09:07 PM..
Old 09-08-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
A nice, civil closing line.

...now, we can all move on.

Since the original text was deleted by the thread originator....we've lost context anyhow.
One of the few benes of being a Mod is being able to post after a thread is closed. Don't use it very often, but I feel compelled by Rob's action in revising his thread starting post.

That has got to be one of the most chicken sh!t things I've ever seen happen here. Pure unadulturated bullsh!t.

Rob, I was one of the first that mentioned during one of the dozens of separate threads you started to ask single questions during your build that maybe, just maybe, you weren't meant to have a Cobra. You even indicated months later that I may very well have been right. I saw little misinterpretation of what you wrote here...hell, everyone had to live through your damn flipflops...you refused to listen to advice given to you by folks here many times. Great example was towards the end when you just wouldn't listen about the phuking breathers no matter how many times folks told you to put plates under the gawddamn holes...an extremely basic thing to do on any freeking car. Instead, you continued to b!tch about oil coming out of the breathers!

And you're offering to "help" others?

Given what you just pulled on everyone who posted in this POS, it's a good thing you have decided to leave because I'm not sure this is a good place for you.

Hopefully, I won't come across dozens of threads from you at the Corvette forums asking how the phuking cupholders work.

P.S. ...and the horse you rode in on.

Last edited by Jamo; 09-09-2007 at 12:08 AM..
Closed Thread