Like Tree8Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 06:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Already dealt with the matter. Thanks for the stretching exercise ideas! Rob is my hero!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

We all make mistakes in life...many o' us don't admit them tho' (me included at times)...its so much easier ta make up an excuse ta all & sundry...than it is ta admit you've actually made a mistake.

Thankyou fer ya honesty rsimoes...ya had an ordinary experience...admitedly made some blunders...sat down & worked out what was best fer you...& moved on...it takes guts ta admit that ta a small group o' friends...let alone a large group like this site is...good fer you.

...Wish you & family all the best in ya new vehicle o' choice.

Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by hi-tech cobra
Already dealt with the matter. Thanks for the stretching exercise ideas! Rob is my hero!
I was quoting madmaxx, but I'm glad you were "receptive."
Old 09-07-2007, 07:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 Unique Roadster, FE by FE Specialties, 470hp, Top Loader, 3:31 Jag
Not Ranked     

When you guys get tired of *****-slapping each other you ought to go check-out bnewell's gallery

CA SPCN 2004-040 complete and legal

http://www.uniquecobra.com/
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I have to admit this forum is a little more "colorfull/redneck" than the Miata forum!!!! Just to keep it going, I still agree with Rob, the man spent a boat load of money and nobody he dealt with lived up to what they said they would do!!!! Even with the Kirkham he had numerous leaks and reworks on 117K car.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:23 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

...and therein might be the problem. It's pretty damn tough to spend $117k on a completed Kirkham unless you try real freeking hard.

Not saying it can't be done...just takes some imagination me thinks.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99
In my opinion there are two types this car (Cobra) appeals to. Gear heads and Car guys.
Gear heads build their own cars and do all the maintenance work.
Gear heads go to track events and some even race or open track their Cobras.
Gear heads know that Cobras leak oil, smell, ride lousy. They also know that Cobras are not as fast as Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers etc. ON THE RACETRACK.

Car guys buy cars that somebody else built or they contract to others to assemble their car.
Car guys go to car shows, hang out on cruise nights, talk about driving fast.
Car guys are quick to give advise to others and some even profess to be Cobra experts.
Car guys still believe that Cobras are the fastest cars ever built.

Most Gear heads are happy with the Cobras they own.

Most Car guys don't keep their Cobras very long.

Most of the posters on Club Cobra are Car guys.

I would like to volunteer a "third" type of person that a Cobra appeals to:

The COBRA GUY! {or GAL...right, Kristen? }

The COBRA GUY acquires their Cobra in the manner that suits THEM best...Some COBRA GUYS build, other COBRA GUYS buy.
The COBRA GUY does easy stuff like shock replacement, equipment checks, and washing and waxing their Cobra; some COBRA GUYS are able to do more.
The COBRA GUY might occasionally drive their Cobra to a track for some LIGHT racing action; Some COBRA GUYS actually have a trailer and tow vehicle, but many do not have those vehicles.
The COBRA GUY knows that Cobras smell, ride lousy, are cramped, and are mercilessly HOT in the summertime!
The COBRA GUY goes to car shows and cruise nights, and they allow people to admire their Cobras, knowing full well that the Cobra is many, MANY people's dream machine!
Some COBRA GUYS talk about wild stories in their Cobras, but many COBRA GUYS just nod their heads accordingly and say "Thank You" when people compliment their Cobras.

But most of all, COBRA GUYS actually DRIVE their Cobras, as often and as far as their weather and driving season lets them. They dont care whether another Cobra has a big block or a small block, or whether another Cobra has a perky butt or a longer wheelbase, or a (not-to) different interior, or even a non-Ford powerplant. They dont care that there are nicks in the paint from driving their Cobras 6 to 8 thousand miles a year OR MORE! COBRA GUYS just want to drive their Cobras, and drive them they do!
SGwick likes this.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

BTW, I have owned my Cobra 5 1/2 years, and have put over 46,000 miles on it, and the only reason I would sell it would be to buy another Cobra.

We don't want a bigger government; We want a government that does a few BIG things, and does them right.

If you think that you can cut it, if you think you got the time, they'll only give you one chance, better get it right first time. 'Cause in this game you're playin, if you lose you got to pay. And if you make just ONE wrong move, you'll get BLOWN AWAY!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I must say that I went to Carlisle and LCS a couple times and some other shows where many of the venders had cars on sale. Talking to them, none suggested that you could ever have a problem with any of thier cars.

Fact is SPF made a big deal out of how perfect their paint job is and how you couldn't touch building a Kit that nice on your own for half again the money. Once they even claimed to me that $10,000 would not buy you a paint job as good as theirs. So Rsimoes was being picky and whinny when his paint wasn't right? I think his point was that things can go wrong even when dealing with some of the best. He acknowledged that they tried to make it right, but it took a lot of time.

Remember the thread where the guy was terminal and wanted to recieve his Shelby and that they were screwing him over badly? Was he an idiot as well?

Yea I see mistakes too, but I don't think the man is public enemy number one either.

Last edited by olddog; 09-07-2007 at 08:35 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 09:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by olddog
I must say that I went to Carlisle and LCS a couple times and some other shows where many of the venders had cars on sale. Talking to them, none suggested that you could ever have a problem with any of thier cars.

Fact is SPF made a big deal out of how perfect their paint job is and how you couldn't touch building a Kit that nice on your own for half again the money. Once they even claimed to me that $10,000 would not buy you a paint job as good as theirs. So Rsimoes was being picky and whinny when his paint wasn't right? I think his point was that things can go wrong even when dealing with some of the best. He acknowledged that they tried to make it right, but it took a lot of time.

Remember the thread where the guy was terminal and wanted to recieve his Shelby and that they were screwing him over badly? Was he an idiot as well?

Yea I see mistakes too, but I don't think the man is public enemy number one either.
I agree, it's unfortunate that Rsimoes had such a bad cobra experience. I wouldn't put all the blame on his shoulders, but better planning definitely could have helped his cause! I too would have been upset about major flaws in paint as he had with his SPF. I think this post teaches alot of people what NOT to do! He seemingly jumped into 3 different cobra projects head first without knowing how deep the water was so to speak. That was the flaw in his planning. Good thing for him is that he is not like some people who sink large amounts of money they really can't afford to do and then end up not liking the experience. Rob might have been out some money, but in the end he paid the "tuition" for a very serious lesson learned and got his Vette. I too was on the fence about buying a new vette or buying a cobra. Why didn't I choose the vette? I thought it was TOO refined for me! Go figure right!? I'm more into the loud, smelly, no heat or air kind of machine, much like my fox bodies.

Rob, you learned a very hard, expensive lesson, hopefully potential buyers will learn from your mistakes! I have no doubt that the intentions of your post were not so much to whine about your misfortune, but to warn others that the cobra is not all that it appears to be from 10ft away! It's very crude and rough! Hindsight is 20/20! Again, enjoy your new vette! I'm sure it suits you better.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgermond
When you guys get tired of *****-slapping each other you ought to go check-out bnewell's gallery
Yeah, nice car.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:49 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

fssnotch says,
Quote:
...major flaws in paint as he had with his SPF...
Actually there have been a lot of posts through the years reference paint problems with an SPF... But I must say, never heard of a problem with paint on the CHASSIS. Maybe folks aren't looking close enough, or maybe to close?

If the paint problem on the SPF chassis (swirl marks) is an indicator of the kind of trouble also found with Kirkham and KC, I'm left thinking these are fairly trivial 'problems'.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-07-2007 at 09:53 PM..
Old 09-07-2007, 10:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber
fssnotch says,

Actually there have been a lot of posts through the years reference paint problems with an SPF... But I must say, never heard of a problem with paint on the CHASSIS. Maybe folks aren't looking close enough, or maybe to close?

If the paint problem on the SPF chassis (swirl marks) is an indicator of the kind of trouble also found with Kirkham and KC, I'm left thinking these are fairly trivial 'problems'.
I was under the impression that the "swirl marks and chips" were in the body of the car and he just mistyped as "chassis." If they were indeed in the chassis, I would agree with you!
Old 09-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

All I can say is that this has been an interesting read. Any newbies who
read this and don't do the necessary research to suit their needs - good
luck to you - you have been warned - from all sides of the fence.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

what a sad man, did you have to get your wifes OK to have a crap as well.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch
I was under the impression that the "swirl marks and chips" were in the body of the car and he just mistyped as "chassis." If they were indeed in the chassis, I would agree with you!
I have watched Rob's posts prior to this and even seen the car "with major paint defects", before it left the dealer. My opinion, mine, is that he is totally ignorant of anything that is not mass produced. The "major paint flaw" was easily wiped off, so it couldn't have been too major.
From the begininngs, if you are aware of the threads that he has created, it appears that he has always tried to buld a car that he could make a profit from. Much like a stock investment. The biggest flaw in his tale from my perspective is that he ASKED the forum WHAT they thought at every choice, so when he was done he had a car HE thought everyone else would want...they didn't. He also did none of the work and paid plenty for what he had done. Both of those add up to a car that the owner isn't happy with and that no one wants to pay his price for. It is a VERY common issue when the disposable income is larger than the knowledge of the subject that you are spending it on.
When it was suggested by several members, maybe a year ago that a Cobra wasn't for him...maybe a ZO6 was more his cup of tea, he became defensive spouting out that he was no kid an was more than aware of what he was getting. We can all see he didn't.
I have NO ill will toward, Rob what so ever, but do NOT take his comments with any serious consideration. It's just too bad that he didn't get that ZO6 last year when it was suggested to him......he wouldn't be out all that dough and we wouldn't have had to hear his whining. The positive note is that he won't be asking all those stupid a$$ questions every 2 days.
Old 09-08-2007, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Woodz428,
I was refering to the "chip" in the first SPF that was later replaced with a 2nd that had "swirl marks." Swirl marks.. ya whatever, I can fix those. But a chip is a bit different, I could still repair it, but that's beside the point. If I dropped my car off at a painter and was informed of it's completion, and upon inspection, it had a chip in the paint.. I would want it repaired before I took posession. After i take posession, then it's my problem.

I agree with the rest of your post though!
Old 09-08-2007, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC Cobra, 351W 400hp / 400 lbs torque
Not Ranked     

I have been reading this keeping amused, but just thought I would chime in and give my thoughts.

Like we were told when we were kids at Christmas time, sometimes it is funner and more exacting to want for something then when you actually get it. Maybe you were in love with the dream and excitement, but not really the car. Kinda like the difference in love and lust.

I also aree with woodz428 comments, after reviewing several of his previous post, it seems he has investment written all over them, not love and desire, and thats fine as well but call a spade a spade, if it was a bad investment and did not work out, pick up the pieces and move one, don't make it sound like the car and the experience destroyed your childhood dream.

Now for me.

I have to figure out where I stand with all of the different descriptions of car guys, gear heads, Cobra guys / gals, now Im lost. I am building my own Cobra so that makes me a gear head, but it is taking my 7 years, so I guess I am a slow or low gear head. But I did not build the engine or drive train, I bought it, so now I am more like a car guy, but not really because I am not all show and shine, or pretend. I am not doing it for an investment, heck I can't even tell you how much I got in my Cobra. I plan to do some track time in my Cobra, but I also plan to go to some local shows and gatherings, I am all confused, I must be a Cobra Car Guy with a Gear Head??????? Oh well who cares. I bought the car to build because I love it, love the Cobra people and atmosphere and good times when gathered, either in person or over the net.

I have had my share of huge set backs during my build, it slows me down but I keep trucking and work through them because its my dream and I am doing it for me! Man that sounds selfish?

Bottom line you can get a lot of information here on the pros and cons of kits, but no amount of feedback, opinions or comments can tell you if this is really the right care for you. If you are not sure, I suggest you invest some time and go to a local event featuring Cobras, such as the London Cobra Show, see them upclose, in person, talk with the kind folks, and take a few rides while you help out the charities. I would think you would walk away with a real clear understanding of what a Cobra is and you would know if it is really your dream, or if it isn't the car for you. Either way you had a good time.

I only chimed in to add to the amusement of this thread, but did not care for they way this guys experience came across as "a bad idea, and you better think twice before jumping in". Sorry about his luck, I am sure the corvette will be great, my daughter loves them. And oh yeah, sometimes you have to talk to a 3 year old to understand what you already know in your heart but need someone to tell you, and sometimes a 3 year old is just the person for that.

Times up, got to go......
Old 09-08-2007, 07:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR, CHP 427w Streetfignter, Injected Venom.Mass-Flo...550 hp , 550 torq..spec pulley sys..
Not Ranked     

I won't bore you with re stating the obvious here.....we all have experiences.....some good, some not so good! It comes as obvious!
I could have purchased anything i chose to purchase. I have been a car guy forever, and had hoped the silly side of me had passed!! It didn'! I got sucked in......quickly went and bought a Cobra for a seemingly good guy, turned out not so.........and sold it! Met a great builder/racer of cobras......had one built, had some issues, but all were expected....as i did a lot of homework. I completed the car last Dec...have driven it approx 6800 miles.....and yes, a few issues...but ABSOLUTELY NOTHING THAT OVERRIDES THE FEELING AND THE POWER AND THE ENERGY that this car exudes!!!! I know, it is professinally built, i did not build it myself, but I have a job that requires my full attention, and besides.....the guy that did the work....did it real good, so it saves me problems!
Bottom line here..........some should own Cobras, some should not. He made an attempt, did not work out. no bigggy.....he is happy, and so am I! So.......at 7:30 in the morning here in So. Calif.....I think I will fire up the beast....that smelly, loud, nasty thing on 4 wheels, and take a cruise...........I will be thinking of this thread.....abut as long as it takes me to get to the first stopsign.
have a good one guys............ALL OF YOU!!
fred z
Old 09-08-2007, 08:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: la exotics 289 5speed 9in. 270hp 295tq w/ g-tech
Not Ranked     

greetings be careful of what you wish for. you may just get it
Closed Thread