LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 08:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch
Darn it.. I wasn't gonna post again in this thread but...

You are exactly right. 99.9% of todays replicas are NOT race cars... HOWEVER, 100% of them were built to REPLICATE a car that was meant to be..... a "RACE CAR!" If it wasn't meant to be a race car, it would certainly have had heat, stereo, nice quiet exhaust, etc etc.
Yes, a race car from 50 years ago, which was my only point. If you want an airliner today, you don't build a DC-3.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

After reading the posts above (The different threads),this is obviously an individual who has no idea about things mechanical and sounds to be somewhat of a bad driver with unrealistic expectations.I don't remember the last time that I negotiated a highway off or on ramp with the clutch pushed in.Any carburated car being thrown around at idle will have problems with the fuel sloshing around in the carb.Why do race car drivers blip the throttle when changing down and make sure that they are in the correct gear to drive cleanly around the next turn?Sounds like Rsimoes should have taken some driving lessons at Bob Bondurant or similar,and perhaps have done some research about the differences between carb and fuel injection.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mark
We've all followed Rob's exploites on this forum. While I agree with most that posted on this thread - that a Cobra is not for everyone, etc., etc., etc., - He (Rob) does have some legitimate complaints.sorted out. So - IMHO - I think his experience should be a wake-up call to (not owners) but the industry and suppliers............. Even if his last car was perfect in every way - he may have still dumped it - I don't know - but at least he would only be able to blame himself instead of SPF, KMP, Keith Craft, and all the others.
regardless of how successful these vendors are, they could be doing much better by paying attention to these issues.

Z. Ray
Old 09-06-2007, 08:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

I thought it was generally agreed that it was time to leave poor Rob alone. He was honest, shared his views, which are completely valid, and the "holier than thou faithful" feels compelled to pass judgement. Holy crap......please close this.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Why?

An argument could be made that it serves as therapy for all of the phuks that are so totally insecure about themselves or their cars that dumping on someone else makes them feel better...

or

...it allows newbies with a dozen posts to offer their opinion about gawd knows what...

or

...it's payback for all of Rob's endless phuking questions every freeking day of his build. *

*Just screwing with you, Rob.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfoushee
I thought it was generally agreed that it was time to leave poor Rob alone. He was honest, shared his views, which are completely valid, and the "holier than thou faithful" feels compelled to pass judgement. Holy crap......please close this.
+1

I love this quote
"If you can stand the tuition, You learn more from mistakes than successes."
Tom Larson

Last edited by fsstnotch; 09-06-2007 at 09:05 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 08:55 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

What the hell am I reading here...A lynching or a love in?!? Good God! Someone send in the Marines! No wonder our country is getting so soft. This drabble is exactly how whole industries get a bad rap...someone without knowledge makes some mistakes, the dream gets crushed, and now it's everyone else's problem because the answer is to somehow make this thread a sticky (and edited on top of that)?

Fact #1: There are many like Rob before him, and there will be many like Rob after him. It's human nature to @#%& up. Get over it.

Fact #2: He didn't make one mistake...he made several. It's called the School of Hard Knocks. Do your research or get burned...it's that simple.

Fact #3: I wish I had $100 for every goof I've ever committed on the various cars I've worked on in my lifetime (Camaros, Mustangs, Corvettes and now my Cobra). I would have been able to buy his Kirkham for the $88K he let it go at.

Fact #4: Most other forums would have eaten him alive...period. He's been treated more than fair here. You post...you expose. That's the way the Internet works. Deal with it.

Fact #5: These cars are essentially "vintage race cars with license plates." We like...no, we LOVE them that way. It's part of their character. They are not for everyone. Learn how to use Google, educate your mind and grow from the journey.

Peace.

-Dean
Old 09-06-2007, 08:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

A couple comments.

First, Rob, I am sorry the dream didn't match the reality for you and I think your post will help others considering building a cobra. I wish you good luck with Corvette, seriously.

Second, Clay is right these are not race cars in any respect, although they are made to replicate the appearance of certain 1960s race cars. I think the idea that these are "race cars" leads a lot of people to over build their engines, i.e., 600 hp motors, huge cams, etc., and then they wind up with cars that are basically undriveable on the street, or in any event are not enjoyable to drive on the street, which is where 99.999% of all cobra replica miles are spent.

These cars do not have to be loud, smelly, obnoxious, leak oil, etc., all those variables can be controlled by the builder- you just have to know what you want out of the car when you build it. Unfortunately for Rob, it cost him a lot of money to find out that he really didn't want what he thought he wanted. I bet that if he would have built a more mild street friendly engine, dare I suggest even a small block with only 350 hp or so, he would have enjoyed his driving experience much more.

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-06-2007, 09:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Original ERA 427sc, Powered by Gessford
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo

...it's payback for all of Rob's endless phuking questions every freeking day of his build. *

That works

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible warning."
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmiles442
Uh Oh. Mark, if you're expecting your SPF to show up PERFECT, you should prepare yourself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing SPF, I'd buy another one tomorrow. But these are RACE CARS. If you think you'll be able to get it, put gas and oil in it and drive it all weekend and not have a spot of something on the floor of the garage, dude, odds are it's just not going to happen. Within 100 miles of a weekend working on it, something else is squeaking, dripping or loose. It's just the nature of the beast. And I love that.
As soon as my rear end stopped clunking, my steerig wheel was shaking, then dead cell in battery, then fuel pump clacking, then alternator - bro, it's little things, but (odds are) they do not stop. It's part of the deal and part of the love.
It's why they call it a hobby and not just a purchase. Otherwise, we'd just be talking about nothing but which options we purchased.

Thanks Mad - I'm ready.
I'm no mechanic, but I can tinker and tighten a bit. I've got friends here that can help if things get beyond my pay grade, and frankly I value the experienced individuals here (like the comments from Excalibur a few lines above - about carbs) and many many others here. I look forward to the drives, and the learning/sorting out experience.

This thread really demonstrates (to me) the huge difference between those that build their own cars, and those that have their cars built for them - that tired old thread that never seems to die.

The folks here that built their own car - know every nut and bolt, every squeak, scratch and rattle (vs) the ones (like me) that trust experts to build a suitable machine for the price. The "builders" aren't shaken by quirks or issues on almost any scale. So, while, I may be challenged to deal with this "hobby" - I'm up for it. I'm not expecting the kind of "perfection" that I might find at a new car dealership. I know I'll have some "issues" to deal with. I think I'm ready - and again - will ask those here for help from time to time.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

Chaplin.....Well said!
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

You want hardcore cobra experience? When my wife and I flew from CA to KY to by my donor FFR and drive it back to CA (about 2500 ml), the car didn't have a roof yet. Or heater , or wipers. It rained through the WHOLE state of Missouri (wife called it Missery, haha...) and the car litterally filled up with water to our ankles. We were dry from motorcycle gear but our feet were soaking wet. When we got through New Mexico it was 10 degrees wind chill and we froze our arses off due to our wet feet. I went into a truck stop and bought a tiny screwdriver and hammer and punched some small drain holes in the floor corners to let the water out! Oh, we had the time of our lives! Yeah, Cobras are not for the feint of heart-John
Old 09-06-2007, 09:39 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

This has been a a very entertaining "two-cocktail" thread.

Just finished reading it from beginning to end....what a page turner. A study of the human condition.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 09-06-2007, 10:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaplin
A couple comments.
Second, Clay is right these are not race cars in any respect, although they are made to replicate the appearance of certain 1960s race cars. I think the idea that these are "race cars" leads a lot of people to over build their engines, i.e., 600 hp motors, huge cams, etc., and then they wind up with cars that are basically undriveable on the street, or in any event are not enjoyable to drive on the street, which is where 99.999% of all cobra replica miles are spent.
Again.. no they are NOT USED as race cars. But if they are meant to replicate a 60's model "race car," then what are they in your eyes? 600hp isn't really needed ANYHWERE in these cars. It's just part of the hobby! Kind of like seeing a 32 roadster street rod with a huge blower on it! Useless but part of the fun!

These cars are no less of a race car than say... a pro street car. While it may be street legal.... it's really not built for your daily comfortable commute. Am I wrong?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfoushee
"Race cars".........I always find this to be a funny and common observation here. The good ones resemble nearly 50-yr. old technology race cars, maybe.

I love them too, but 99.9% of Cobra replicas aren't "race cars" by any modern standard, and can't pass tech inspection in any serious venue.
This seems like an awful lot of hassle for fake racing...

Look, they even have those neck thingies! These guys are such kidders...

Old 09-06-2007, 10:33 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Those who live in glass houses.............

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Clay, those sure look like race cars to me.

But I see your point, even mine is a race car 'wanna be' by todays standards. I got my a$$ handed to me at various SCCA meets by those stinkin' Miatas and assorted other modern cars. One day a guy showed up with a 60's something Dodge Charger and ran the course. What a hoot watching THAT! A veritable 'boat' through the corners, (should be timed in minutes instead of seconds). But it was sure was fun seeing some 'old iron' out there on the track, made my day!

'Back in the day' Cobras were tearing up the track and were indeed a serious race car!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: #42 BDR w/ a 408 KCM stroker
Not Ranked     

I've been seeing this thread pop up and down, did not go through all the pages but heres my "story"

4 Years ago I got the chance to work with the Dallas based Backdraft dealer, I got to take these cars out, race them, fix them and the whole 9 yards. Well with in a year our investor pulled the plug and ended my Cobra dream. Being friends with John Ross "lonestar owner" he egged me to get one, well the time came and I was ready to buy one, looked at several different cars but chose the Backdraft that I knew, because I knew the car and issues and problems ahead of me. But I will agree seemed you didn't do enough homework and dove into a build/car each and every time. You stated it was to loud and basically raw, you certainly didn't do your homework then. I have had mine now officially for 4 months and loved every second of it, broke a driveshaft, fixed it didn't ***** or complain it part of owning a sports car. I laughed when you said the C6 could out handle and perform your Cobra, a C6 can't out perform mine, so maybe (and not trying be mean just stating my opinion) you could not "drive" the Cobra to it's potential, maybe a little fear of having no safty equiptment or computers to correct your driving mistakes. You learned your lesson you lost some money and you moved on. Take it as a lesson learned.
2004 BDR #42 with a 408 Keith Craft Stroker, Crimson with Silver stripes
Old 09-07-2007, 12:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

For those of you talking about Harleys, stop the leaking analogy, they don't leak any more. I know, I have over a 100,000 miles logged on them. I do consider the experience similar.

How many of us, while maturing, have gotten drunk on a form of booze, to the point of praying to the white goddess? How many can, to this day, drink that form again?

The problem here is he was first bit and never recovered from the original bite of the poorly concieved cobra. Each time after he looked extra hard to find the flaws. The next experience confirmed what he already knew, the experience was doomed to failure.

Give him a brake as he was under the wrong infulence. Had his first experience been a moderatley good one the post would not be the same. \

For all the " I do it myselfer's" I have owned and wrenched my own cars, sometimes' time does not allow and sometimes I would rather ride than fix. But rest assured when I take it in, I take it to a trusted mechanic and I tell him what needs to be done. Just because I do not always wrench does not mean I don't understand the car.

This post has generated an unbelievable amount of response, like parents protecting their children. Like children we must allow them to grow. The mind numbing responses are not necessary or good for the site. Let his comments fall where they may.

Anyone who has done the research understands what they are buying; some race vehicles, some want to be seen vehicles, show car vehicles and on and on. Accept the fact he was not a cobra person of any sorts and save the post for articles we care are about.

Sorry for the rambling.

dm
Old 09-07-2007, 03:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo
Why?

An argument could be made that it serves as therapy for all of the phuks that are so totally insecure about themselves or their cars that dumping on someone else makes them feel better...

or

...it allows newbies with a dozen posts to offer their opinion about gawd knows what...

or

Yup and I am sure half the guys doing the most criticizing did not build their own cars. Rob's wasn't the most exciting build to speak of, but at least he gave it a shot. More than I can say about a lot of check writers on CC boasting the biggest egos.

Please note - buying a Cobra as a roller and dropping an engine and trans in it does not qualify as building your own car.