Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 06:09 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Stop already.
This is starting to look like a lynching.

Let the poor guy go in peace with some dignity.

Perhaps the moderators can save his first three posts as a warning to "newbies" that these cars are NOT for everyone, and throw out the rest of the thread for being "unsavory" at best.

Old 09-06-2007, 06:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 592
Not Ranked     

I agree shut this down. Stop the personal insults most would not have the balls to say it to his face so leave him alone. I'm actually buying a Kirkham and he raised some items that are of concern to me. I have built quite a few cars myself and changed trannies in parking lots on my back bench pressing them into place and starting the bolts myself. How many can claim that? I'm not bragging I'm just saying despite my ability and willingness to work oncars his points are valid. His thread should be a sticky without all the internet bravery insults.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

I can see where threads like this are good to help people understand if they really want one of these cars, but I don't really get the feel that most were bashing him. A few direct comments were there, but the feel I got was the majority was tired of his complaining. I have not read any of his stuff, so I took it as a lesson learned kinda post.

I don't know, maybe I am just desensitized because of how harsh my local Mustang board can be.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:27 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

His points are very valid! But nothing that haven't been posted before to every newb out there! IT'S A RACE CAR!!! NOT A CORVETTE

Coming to this forum and essentially spitting in the faces of people like Kirkham and kieth craft are where I have problems! They provided him with exactly what he was willing to pay for!

Lets end it with this beautiful picture!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:32 PM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

edited 9/8/2007
deleted - see first post in this thread

Last edited by rsimoes; 09-08-2007 at 07:58 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 06:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I started out with every intention of building a Cobra from a kit. The more I researched and asked questions on here, the more I realized I did not know exactly what I wanted in several areas. I also wanted to build the car on the cheap side, and I knew deep down that every time I made a purchase based on saving money it always cost me dearly, one way or another.

I ended up buying a completed car, for way less than I would have had in a build. It is not what I would have chosen in a few areas. However what better way to find out what you really want than to own a car for a while.

Odds are I can make the car what I want at a reasonable price or I can sell it later for what I have in, maybe more.

My point: First time Cobra owners should definately consider this option.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsstnotch
Actually, according to some of the people in this thread... It was a $100+k POS with poor fit/finish and a bad engine built buy two of the best names in the business.... Whoever paid 90k must have gotten robbed...

Here's his engine problem thread
it stalls . . .

and this

Almost stalls under hard corners and stops

Here's a brake problem of some sort
Brake thumping sound. . .

Here's another with 40+ Issues - but great customer service.
Outstanding Customer Service Experience!

I never said it was a POS - in fact just the opposite - it's beautiful, and I'm sure (by now - flawless). But really for the trouble, effort, and money that he spent - shouldn't it have been that way from the beginning? To my original point - A Cobra may not have been the best fit for him - however - when you spend as much money as he did - don't you think it should have been perfect?
Old 09-06-2007, 07:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A&C 67 427 cobra SB
Not Ranked     

I do think Rsimoes has likely given some newbies some things to consider and think about, and will save a few some heart burn. For that he didn't deserve all the kicking that he got, but let that be a lesson to the newbies as well.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Rob thanks for your honest input. It was great to hear back from you! I'm sorry your cobra dream is gone and I'm really sorry that you won't be posting any additional experiences with us. I hate to see you go. Your words have been a beacon of light, a lighthouse set high on a hill!

You Sir, are the Nelson Mandela of cobradom. Your story reminds me of his life. You are bold to speak the truth like he did. You have been persecuted like he was. Take some time (now that you don't have to mop up all those pesky oil leaks) and read his epic novel, "The Struggle is My Life" ISBN-10:8171545238. Just joking, but I can't resist: You could write a book titled: "The Cobra Struggle is My Life".

In the book you could lay your tender heart bare to an angry world. You could even include pictures of paint swirls and greasy finger prints to help the unbelievers see the light. Finally, like Mandela put an end to Apartheid, you could help guide those foolish cobra dreamers into the promised land: Chevrolet. Please don't forget about your buddies here at CC! Good luck, and have a ball driving that red convertible.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 302, Tremec 3550. #038
Not Ranked     

I've heard it said "work hard at something you love, and you'll never work a day in your life". I think the same holds true here. Like all of us, when he finds a car he loves, you'll never hear another complaint again.

You don't have to read between the lines to realize that this was not the car for him. Hopefully for his sake, the corvette will be.

Good Luck
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarchetta
I believe if you performed better due diligence on the entire industry BEFORE you bought that first project, BEFORE you chose a horrible engine builder for your second project, and BEFORE you decided to go neck deep into a very realistic, all aluminum high-end build (which, by the way, ended up looking quite well), then your results would have been SIGNIFICANTLY DIFFERENT and your expectations wouldn't have been squashed by the hard and cold ball peen hammer of reality right between the eyes.

Enjoy the simple cruises with your son and your new Corvette (they are very nice and fun, just not over-the-top like a Cobra) and hopefully you'll teach him the right way to go about planning for future projects so he doesn't make the same mistakes his Dad did.

-Dean

Couldnt have said it better, exactly what I was thinking, sounds like NO research was done.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt
My experience having my Cobra built by ERA (100% built by Doug and the boys) and my FE being built by Danbury Competition was the exact opposite. The build went smoothly, the engine is exactly what I wanted, and the car is an absolute pleasure to drive -- even in stop and go traffic. From the financial side, both ERA and Danbury Competition were a dream to work with. Once we established a mutual trust relationship with one another, a handshake was all the agreement we ever needed. And looking back, I can't recall a single conflict. The key to building a successful Cobra is to surround yourself with the right people, and then listen to them and take their advice. Somewhere on the ERA website I'm quoted as saying "...having driven my car now for xxxx months, if I could go back and change something on it I wouldn't. The car is perfect in every way." I still stand by that comment.
This made me smile. ERAs have always been one of my fav. replicas.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Building 289 Lemans / FFR mkIV chassis w/ Bruce Chervenak
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Speaking at the International Women's Forum, Mandela said "if there is a country that has committed unspeakable atrocities in the world, it is the United States of America."
I hope I am never compared to Nelson Mandela but I am sure you were referring to his more positive contributions.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

The "Engine Problem" link above is basic bull crap. The car stalls under hard cornering and braking, yeah, what else is new, almost all Cobras do. You either learn to deal with it or you don't; stick in the clutch, gas it just right, anticipate the stall while cornering or fix it.

If you really knew Cobra history you would also know SHELBY had the SAME problem in the 60's! So what did HE do about it? Ran a center pivot float single four barrel, because anything else (fuel bowl extensions, jetting, etc. etc.) is treating the symptoms not the cause!

My dual four barrel intake won't allow for center pivot floats, if I corner hard enough the car WILL tend to stall, just like the real ones do and did! And a $130K aint gonna make it go away if YOU spec the wrong carb for 'road racing' and expect 'road racing' AND 'pleasant road cruising' response. For that, better get a 'no brainer' Vette.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-06-2007 at 07:45 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 07:47 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #867 gone....
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Oh Dear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by STL Mark
... He (Rob) does have some legitimate complaints. Ex - a SPF roller (with show quality paint) on order for months - shows up with swirl marks and body damage. Would anyone here pay 45K for a new and damaged chassis? And then wait another 9 months? How about a custom (and very expensive) engine with water in the oil. What do you think? Maybe 25K+ for a bad motor? Then he steps up to a KMP - gets the best of everything - spends ANOTHER 100K+ and still has to deal with the same sort of body and finish problems, engine leaks, linkage problems. For the kind of money that he spent - that/those cars should have been perfect - perfect! They should have sorted out those issues before delivery...... .
Uh Oh. Mark, if you're expecting your SPF to show up PERFECT, you should prepare yourself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing SPF, I'd buy another one tomorrow. But these are RACE CARS. If you think you'll be able to get it, put gas and oil in it and drive it all weekend and not have a spot of something on the floor of the garage, dude, odds are it's just not going to happen. Within 100 miles of a weekend working on it, something else is squeaking, dripping or loose. It's just the nature of the beast. And I love that.
As soon as my rear end stopped clunking, my steerig wheel was shaking, then dead cell in battery, then fuel pump clacking, then alternator - bro, it's little things, but (odds are) they do not stop. It's part of the deal and part of the love.
It's why they call it a hobby and not just a purchase. Otherwise, we'd just be talking about nothing but which options we purchased.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:51 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Rob...adieu.

Next?
Old 09-06-2007, 08:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

I built my own Cobra and enjoyed the experience and sense of accomplishment, I enjoy driving it and going to cruise-ins with it. I also own a Vette and a hot rod truck. I've had the Vette since '88 ,bought it new and enjoy driving it especially in the late fall or early spring when it's uncomfortable to drive the Cobra,the truck is my daily driver. All three serve their purpose, but I really like the sound and feel of the Cobra. Guess I'm a gear head, long may we prosper!
Old 09-06-2007, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmiles442
Uh Oh. Mark, if you're expecting your SPF to show up PERFECT, you should prepare yourself. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing SPF, I'd buy another one tomorrow. But these are RACE CARS. If you think you'll be able to get it, put gas and oil in it and drive it all weekend and not have a spot of something on the floor of the garage, dude, odds are it's just not going to happen. Within 100 miles of a weekend working on it, something else is squeaking, dripping or loose. It's just the nature of the beast. And I love that.
As soon as my rear end stopped clunking, my steerig wheel was shaking, then dead cell in battery, then fuel pump clacking, then alternator - bro, it's little things, but (odds are) they do not stop. It's part of the deal and part of the love.
It's why they call it a hobby and not just a purchase. Otherwise, we'd just be talking about nothing but which options we purchased.
"Race cars".........I always find this to be a funny and common observation here. The good ones resemble nearly 50-yr. old technology race cars, maybe.

I love them too, but 99.9% of Cobra replicas aren't "race cars" by any modern standard, and can't pass tech inspection in any serious venue.
Old 09-06-2007, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Several
Not Ranked     

Good grief!

What about, "My 35-year struggle against the vast right wing conspiracy", by President-in-Waiting Hillary Clinton?

Paleeze! Spare us... ugh... you said you were only joking, but really now...
-------------
Patience is not only a virtue, but also a skill. Some folks build, some drive, some write, some photograph, some yak, some build to drive, some build to sell, some build to learn and some do it all.

These all are skills that ought to be learned, and not discounted because we have neither the patience nor education nor practice or opportunity to learn.

Frankly, my dear, this kind of thread helps those that can see the benefits to dive into the water. And those not quite sure, to look a little further and make sure. Be choosey.

There are the builders and the users. There are the fixers and the complainers. There are the salesmen and the engineers. There are the artists and the craftsmen. There are the dubbers and the wafflers. There are the ordained and the doubters.

Maybe we don't need them all, but we have them all. Right here in river city. A cross-section lf Americana+ our English-speaking friends.

Our common thread is Shelby's wet dream and his frequently star-crossed but fantastic history.

To him i raise a toast and take a sip of wine. Long live the king. And his original and new team.

(And long live the Kirkhams and KC and ...!)
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
George Washington

Last edited by What'saCobra?; 09-06-2007 at 08:29 PM..
Old 09-06-2007, 08:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfoushee
"Race cars".........I always find this to be a funny and common observation here. The good ones resemble nearly 50-yr. old technology race cars, maybe.

I love them too, but 99.9% of Cobra replicas aren't "race cars" by any modern standard, and can't pass tech inspection in any serious venue.
Darn it.. I wasn't gonna post again in this thread but...

You are exactly right. 99.9% of todays replicas are NOT race cars... HOWEVER, 100% of them were built to REPLICATE a car that was meant to be..... a "RACE CAR!" If it wasn't meant to be a race car, it would certainly have had heat, stereo, nice quiet exhaust, etc etc.