Old 09-06-2007, 10:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 496fe
Great idea Brent. If he can trash KC, Kirkham and others, and you don't want us to give our opinions on a discussion forum, then the best place for this thread is in the trash. We appreciate all you do for this forum and it's your forum. You need to do what you think is best.
uhhhh? Brent's not in right now...would you like to leave a message?

You have missed the point.

Opinions are welcome. ...all of them.

What is not ...is personal attacks and suggestions of shoving your car up your a$$. That's all I meant.

Oh.... and we always do what we think is best, thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

These cars are not for everyone. That's part of the fun, exclusivity and the fraternity. Not to mention the noise, HP, smell, rough ride, etc. Driving a Cobra is like trying to break a wild horse. Sometimes you are in control. Most times you're not. One mistake and either one could kill you. Good thing for him and his family he got out before his car bit him. Like I said, not for everyone.

Last edited by jhv48; 09-06-2007 at 10:28 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CAV GT40 with 331 KC
Not Ranked     

I never took advice from my 3 year old because he didn't have as much experience as I did.

I did ask my 5 year old if I should invest in IBM back in the 70's and he said that I should.

There were times when I was racing that I hated it but I knew that is was what I wanted to do so I took the bad with the good. I remember lying in bed one night crying. Literally. I was 25 year old guy who wanted to win so bad that I was doing whatever it took to win - that meant working on the car every night (after working a 10 hour day) until 1 or 2 AM. After a while you get exhausted - but I knew that if I didn't prepare the car I coiuldn't expect to win. So I did it.

When I was a little kid I dreamed of being a racing driver. Somehow that dream (all I had to do was show up, get in a perfectly prepared car and win every race with no DNF's, no late night slaving on the car, no cuts, no grease, no heartache, no marital issues, free time to enjoy the adulation) didn't pan out the way I thought it would. Of course having a wife, two kids, and a job that didn't pay a whole lot didn't make it any easier.

Racing is a pain in the ass. Sometimes it seemed that everything that could go wrong, did.

But is was worth it. Now I look back and realize that generally speaking, most dreams that are hard to achieve are worth it - if it was easy everyone would do it.

Perhaps owning a Cobra is similar?

Maybe I should go to the SCCA Forum and tell all those racers that what they are doing isn't worth it.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ???

What kind of person actually puts a child seat in a Cobra? It sounds like you should have held on to the minivan that you sold. Where do people like this come from?
Old 09-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, Computerworks is Ron, not Brent.

If you want the very best and do your research the path could logically lead to Kirkham and KC (or a number of other competent engine builders). The path could lead to Shelby and one of his alloy engines as well. In any case if you find your not happy with a Kirkham and a KC engine combination, arguably at the highest level of the Cobra experience, there is nothing left to do but sell the car.

For many of us 'less is more'. You could spend substantially less on a 'donor' FFR with a small block and be just as happy, or miserable, as the case may be. Some of us recognize we DON'T want a 'car show' paint job, to much money, worry and wax required.

My old Excalibur in many ways was more enjoyable than my current ERA. It cost far less (which made me happy) had a terrific paint job (STILL looks great) was reliable enough to be a daily driver, easy maintanence, good gas mileage, plenty room a nice all around replica Cobra. I wanted something a little more accurate, bought the ERA, blew up the engine in short order. It's WAY more cramped, hot, finicky and requires considerably more maintanence. I LOVE that car, wouldn't have it any other way.

Blackjack (one of our members) has an Excal with a hardtop and A/C, that can be done with just about any of the replicas if you so desire. I can dig it, not a bad call all things considered.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-06-2007 at 10:38 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 10:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Gary Edwards Racing 460
Not Ranked     

One word....

If you are looking for luxury.....This is the wrong place for you.

Ya corvettes are nice, but you will never get a thumbs up from a Ferrari in a Corvette (happened to me last saturday, I love it)
Old 09-06-2007, 10:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

Cobra's are like mistresses. Need lots of care, attention and $$$$. But well worth the ride!
Old 09-06-2007, 10:52 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

The guy had a dream, chased it... made some mistakes and had some problems on the way and finally realized the dream was just that, a dream. I see no reason to kick him in the nuts. I don't recall his whole story and am not going to look it up. If my dream turned into my nightmare, I would be must less pleasent to deal with. We ALL know that these cars are not for everyone. A fact for which I am grateful.

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-06-2007, 10:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
No...because I'm going to close it if there is one more

Read my earlier post....if this doesn't stay in shape, it's history.
Sorry computerworks, I may have responded to a troll. My point is our buddy rsimoes has done nothing in the forum but complain about his plight of cobra ownership. He has soiled the reputations of the best companies in the biz (who pay to advertise on this site). His comments have zero credit in my book.

He knew this post would stir up a hornets nest of emotion so why would he post it? I don't think it is to help someone make a cobra purchase. Maybe he likes to tick people off. Maybe he likes the attention of pooping on our parade.

I think this thread should do a Larry Craig and disappear into a bathroom stall.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

"Scars heal... glory fades
And all were left with are the memories made, oh yeah
Pain hurts, but only for a minute
Yeah life is short so go on and live it
Cause the chicks dig it"
Old 09-06-2007, 11:00 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Ron ~ SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN........I'M TRYING TO SELL A CAR
Old 09-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnewell
Ron ~ SHUT THIS THREAD DOWN........I'M TRYING TO SELL A CAR
And a nice one at that.......

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1989 KCC from South Africa Right Hand Drive
Not Ranked     

If anything this thread has a solid ring of solidarity from the "real" Cobra lovers on this forum!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427FE (sold & missed)
Not Ranked     

Thanks buddy!!
Old 09-06-2007, 11:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindle
What kind of person actually puts a child seat in a Cobra? It sounds like you should have held on to the minivan that you sold. Where do people like this come from?
Since you have 1 post I should not dignify a response, but I will.

I put a child seat in my car every time I take one of the boys out in the car. They love it when I hammer the gas pedal, burn the tires up and go 120 down our lovely tree lined street. I am trying to get them used the screeching halts at the bottom of the hill. .

There is nothing more fun for me than to put my boys in the car and idle around the neighborhood. They have bigger smiles than I do. While these cars are brutally fast it does not mean that they have to be driven that way.
ErikinSC likes this.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:44 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I love the way Miatas shake and quiver when I pass them on the highway.

They think it's Chuck Norris.

Lowell
Old 09-06-2007, 11:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenG
Interesting, 5 pages of responses and I don't think that there is one comment about what I think is one of the most important aspects of owning one of these cars; the fraternity that comes with it! A group of individuals with similar passion that don't care whether you're a "gearhead" or a "car guy/gal" who want to share that interest and have a good time doing it. A group which includes probably hundreds of individuals both professional and non who are willing to share their experiences and their advice (not always appreciated of course!) to help out someone else. I began this "quest" for the car and ended up with a whole lot more that now almost overshadows the car itself!

My advice, when you get one of these cars find a good local club and share the experience. I think it multiplies exponentially when you do that.

BTW-after 6 months and over 3000 miles my only regret is that I can't drive it more. I wouldn't trade it for anythingelse although I would consider getting a more "civilized" sports car in addition for driving when the weather is at its most extreme conditions.
LMAO.........some fraternity......... a bunch of "a--holes" judging from the venom flowing here. Jeez, the guy was just sharing his thoughts and a bunch of sharks feel the need to pump themselves up by putting him down.

I've enjoyed the hell out of my Cobra for almost 4 years, and still drive it regularly. I also own a C6 Z06 as a daily driver (amazing engineering acheivement that is scary fast, very track-capable, and comfortable for peanuts), and a Lotus Elise (with the most divine handling qualities I've ever experienced). Those three could not be more different, and I enjoy them all immensely, but I am fortunate to be able to have cake, lobster, and tequila all at the same time.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not being much of a sweets eater, can I just have some lobster and tequila?

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-06-2007, 12:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Undecided, 289
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdorman
The guy had a dream, chased it... made some mistakes and had some problems on the way and finally realized the dream was just that, a dream. I see no reason to kick him in the nuts. I don't recall his whole story and am not going to look it up. If my dream turned into my nightmare, I would be must less pleasent to deal with. We ALL know that these cars are not for everyone. A fact for which I am grateful.
AMEN!
Old 09-06-2007, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Lone Star 351W/408CI 525HP
Not Ranked     

This has been my favorite thread since joining C.C..

As the saying goes opinions are like "Noses" we all have them but every one is different. (or something like that)

I do think a few have been to harsh but I love the thoughts of the majority!

Larry

PROUDLY A "CAR GUY" and a guy with other just cars!!!
Closed Thread