Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree8Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2007, 04:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

never thought I'd see a thread with more action than the world famous"big block or small block" thread
Old 09-07-2007, 05:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BACKDRAFT
Send a message via AIM to SKINNEDR Send a message via Skype™ to SKINNEDR
Not Ranked     

Just keep in mind that we live in a society that allow us ALL to speak out freely.
This is just a good example of what is taking place THREAD, free speech.
God bless America. What a country.....
FREEDOM OF SPEECH.
dEX.......
Old 09-07-2007, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351
This seems like an awful lot of hassle for fake racing...

Look, they even have those neck thingies! These guys are such kidders...

I love the fact that all the Cobras represented in these photos are FFR Spec racers with 225 HP stock engines, solid rears and the drivers are probably the best Cobra drivers today.

For all you BB lovers good luck in turning better lap times than the Spec racers.(laps around McDonalds don't count)
Old 09-07-2007, 05:26 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351
This seems like an awful lot of hassle for fake racing...

Look, they even have those neck thingies! These guys are such kidders...

I chose my words very carefully, in the post of mine you quoted. The key word in my post was "serious venue," referring to racing series. I don't regard the FFR-sponsored spec racing class a "serious venue." Vintage racing or open tracking are not a "serious venues" either.

Fun, yes. Serious venue, no.

Having said that, at least the spec FFRs are prepped for the track in some regard, with an awful lot of modern safety equipment not seen in any original of the day. 99% of Cobra replicas are not similarly-equipped. Moreover, I don't think you can come close to saying those cars have any similarity to period-correct Cobras.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 09-07-2007 at 05:36 AM..
Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayfoushee
Moreover, I don't think you can come close to saying those cars have any similarity to period-correct Cobras.
Come on... if you took a picture of them from the top of the quarters down from 50ft, you'd never guess!
Old 09-07-2007, 05:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I chose my words very carefully, in the post of mine you quoted. The key word in my post was "serious venue," referring to racing series. I don't regard the FFR-sponsored spec racing class a "serious venue." Vintage racing or open tracking are not a "serious venues" either.

Fun, yes. Serious venue, no.

Having said that, at least the spec FFRs are prepped for the track in some regard, with an awful lot of modern safety equipment not seen in any original of the day. 99% of Cobra replicas are not similarly-equipped. Moreover, I don't think you can come close to saying those cars have any similarity to period-correct Cobras.
You want to see period correct Cobras go to a museum or almost any car show. Car Guys own most of them.

The Gear Heads are running in the spec series. If you don't think these guys are serious racers I suggest you give it a try.They may not be running for big prizes but many of them are serious about winning.

BTW Shelby tried to run a spec series but not many car guys were interested.
They were period correct though except for their spec. small blocks.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Not a race car....very true, but with all things Cobra it all depends upon the owner and how they built or bought their car. The owner, by the way, is more than likely not a real race car driver.

So what is the point about all this race car not race crap?

Clay,

Out of curiousity what would be the "serious" racing venues in your mind? I would have thought the spec racing was "serious", but would like to know your thoughts. (seriously -- not busting chops)
Old 09-07-2007, 06:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Not a race car... CS's personal grocery getter...
Old 09-07-2007, 06:49 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWheaton
So what is the point about all this race car not race crap?
Good point, Jamie.

BB/SB, leaking Harleys, FFR Spec racers, blue masking tape... nice diversion.

Guess this means this topic has run it's course.

Any more on-topic posts? ...only, please.

ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 09-07-2007, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I'd like to comment on the statements about Cobra "issues" (i.e. oil leaks, carb stumbles, etc etc) being normal and just part of owning a Cobra.

That is complete BS. If the car is built right, if the motor is built right, if the car is tuned right.... then the car should have NO problems.

My CSX is about as original "spec" as they come. From an old iron FE, to Lucas electronics, to an original Lemans bowl Holley carb.

I would put my 60s technology CSX up against ANY other car on the road, in terms of drivability and mechanical stature. My car will idle all day long in 100 degree weather. It will cruise for hundreds of miles without a hicup. It gets 13 mpg.

My car leaked oil. I fixed it. My car has electrical issues. I fixed them. My car had carb issues. I fixed them. Now my car runs flawless.

"Living" with issues with your car is up to the owner. Most people are just expecting a fast car, and any hicups that go along with it are usually just overlooked, because the car is fast. But problems can be fixed. There should be NO reason you can't have a Cobra that runs as good as it looks .

Just my 2 cents.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 09-07-2007, 07:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters
Not Ranked     

I agree one hundred percent with Power Surg. I have had a couple of minor issues here and there and I fixed them. No big deal. My car runs great and I love driving it. Most of the work is adding & improving new changes. However, I could have left the car alone and never built it up more than it was when I bought it. That was my choice. Working on and improving the Cobra is a piece of cake compared to the new cars.
________

Last edited by CobraEd; 09-07-2007 at 09:00 AM..
Old 09-07-2007, 07:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289FIA, 289 stroked to 331, 392 HP
Not Ranked     

From what I've read here I guess I've been pretty lucky. After 3000 miles on my ERA FIA with its Danbury Comp small block, I've got no leaks, rattles, etc and the only leak has been a loose radiator hose clamp!
Old 09-07-2007, 07:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

While I did not read all 12 pages of this thread I'd like to comment on the original post. It seems like you depended too much on everyone else to get your car right rather than yourself. You just threw money at it.

I guess it's ok if you've got the money but I, and many others, enjoy doing the work ourselves. I know that I get a tremendous amount of pleasure and satisfaction working on my Cobra. Building from the chassis up I certainly made some mistakes but, over time, corrected them and/or upgraded.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: n/a
Send a message via Yahoo to imagine2frolic
Not Ranked     

Is this a record breaking thread? It was like a volcanoe splattering debris everywhere for awhile! Once it started it just exploded......LOL
Old 09-07-2007, 08:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique, 427SO, it runs
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99
You want to see period correct Cobras go to a museum or almost any car show. Car Guys own most of them.

The Gear Heads are running in the spec series. If you don't think these guys are serious racers I suggest you give it a try.They may not be running for big prizes but many of them are serious about winning.

BTW Shelby tried to run a spec series but not many car guys were interested.
They were period correct though except for their spec. small blocks.
X, not sure what your beef is with what I said. I was actually paying FFR spec cars a compliment in that they are prepped with some reasonable semblance of "safety equipment" and can pass a reasonable track tech inspection. The average Cobra replica cannot. There have been a bunch of people here claiming that street-legal Cobra replicas are "race cars." They are not.

I could care less about the "period correctness" issue, but, as you note, many do. In my view, "period correctness" in this case makes a Cobra unworthy on a track today. The standards of the 60's are long gone, and FFR Spec Racers have deviated for good reason.

I will also concede that the definition of "serious venue" is in the eye of the beholder. Certainly, anyone racing in the FFR spec series is very serious about trying to win or do well. However, what I meant was more recognized venues like SCCA. In retrospect, it is a rather trivial distinction. BTW, I have tried it (open tracking and autocross in Z06s and Lotus Elise), but I wouldn't in my street Cobra replica.

Last edited by clayfoushee; 09-07-2007 at 08:25 AM..
Old 09-07-2007, 08:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
There have been a bunch of people here claiming that street-legal Cobra replicas are "race cars." They are not.
I think you're taking that statement out of context. The race car comment means these are replicas and recreations of a car that was a race car. In other words, people dream of these cars, not realizing how crude they are. Then they get one, and realize the Cobra is not just a "cooler Corvette".

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 09-07-2007, 09:11 AM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

This is starting to remind me of situations where folks go into rehab and then write a book about their fall from grace...

Folks...we've had a few people sell their Cobras because of wanting to upgrade or due to changes in financial conditions. But really...how many have we heard about that sold them for lack of air conditioning or power steering?

Rob tried to fulfill a dream and it simply did not work out. But lets keep the damn thing in perspective, shall we. Folks seem to be posting on this thread as if his farewell to arms undercuts the entire premise of owning one of these little basturds (for whatever use you put them to).

It doesn't.

Calm down.

They are like marriages...the hot sex and other shared moments you get on occasion outweighs the PITA you have to live through from time to time. You've got to be a bit stubborn to make the relationship last.

Personally, I plan on growing old with the sumb!tch.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:16 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Clay,
The SCCA has no defined class for Cobras. They have to run in a group that consists of GT1 cars and they could not be competitive. I had a SCCA tech inspector look over my car and the changes to conform were minor but when he told me what I would be running against I new that there was no way any Cobras could compete in that class.
NASA has the FFR spec series and you don't have to worry about some big bucks Cobra with 600HP beating up on everybody.
The level playing field makes for more interesting racing.

RD
Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: AC427 MkIII of 2004 vintage
Not Ranked     

Well said Mr.J.

You either 'get' it or you don't - he didn't. But just for a laugh he threw a very small pebble in the pond and watched the ripples get bigger and bigger - all 12 pages so far. Trouble is, it's a bit too easy to wind some people up. I saw no real reason to give any reponse to the original posting - not sure it required a response.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, this all reminds me of those multi-car pileups in the fog. The next one along just crashes into the ever-growing pileup.
Closed Thread