Like Tree8Likes

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2007, 12:23 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yeah, what ever... a fool and his money, fair game!

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-06-2007 at 09:21 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 01:29 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2291, Whipple Blown & Injected 4V ModMotor
Not Ranked     

I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for the owner. A project like this should have some deliberate thought given to the planning, design, build cycle. Someone else commented about more money than brains or something to that effect. Dead on target!!

Hey, we are all over 21 (some of us by a lot) by now we should be able to figure out a lot of these issues without blowing the amounts of money this guy did. Don't cut corners in your planning, design, build cycle unless you personally can pick up the slack. Bargain basement deal hunting will almost always leave you unhappy.

This is a hobby it is not an investment in some type of regulated security. You will always loose money the first year on any vehicle. If you are looking for an investment go to the securities markets! By the way if you keep your toy, drive it and enjoy it (and take care of it) you will be pleasantly surprised at its value five ten or more years in the future.

A little more time spent on the different websites and this guy may have learned most if not all of what he paid so dearly to discover. I suggest any newbies who are thinking about doing a Cobra take a look at this website => http://cobra4me.com/ read the words. Sergio does not sugar coat or misrepresent the car and he basically hits most if not all the significant issues in his entertaining, yet real, introduction.

As so many have already said these very attributes are what endears these cars to us. If this don't light your fire definitely don't go camping. Sergio winds up his webpage by saying,

"...very, very few drivers want this kind of attention, or can tolerate all that a formidable Cobra Replica demands. These cars are intolerant mistresses.

But remember, there will come a day when you have to hang up your car keys for the last time. And perhaps you want to say then "I did it."

For those of us who care so much for the car and the experience (they are inseperable) we draw particular pride of ownership and accomplishment from these modern day incarnations of that original Supercar conceived by Shelby ... The 427 Cobra.

Ed

Help them do what they would have done if they had known what they could do.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:39 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Since my last five years of Cobra ownership has been so different than that of Rsimones, I couldn't help but recall an experience from the late 70s. I had a good friend who moved to Negril, Jamacia and purchased a small motel on the coast. I spent a week with him in late 78 when Jamacia was a wild, undeveloped place (there was little power and no phones within 5 miles of his motel. No hot water or refridgerators (ice boxes only), and the experience of lifetime. The beauty of an undeveloped, crude tropical paradise - amazing! It was a fantastic week and I hated leaving. A few months later, I was visiting a friend who was also being visited by his brother and new sister in law. Having just returned from a Jamacian honeymoon, I took the opportunity to compare notes. They absolutely hated the experience and though they had purchased a week, they came home after three days in what they considered to be a third-world pit that totally lacked the creature comforts of home. We were on opposite sides of the spectrum of "enjoyment factor". The difference between jumping in my pickup to run an errand or take a trip versus filing a flight plan to venture out in my little red rocket is night and day. My car excites me just as much today as it did when I first set eyes on her in the garage of the person I purchased her from five years ago. I wouldn't trade it for anything.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham #473 427 every option, Keithcraft aluminum FE 482 ci. Mass Flo FI. Tremec TKO 600.
Not Ranked     
Default Go EZ on him

I think his wife told him what to do.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:53 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1507 427 Dart Block Windsor
Not Ranked     

Some guys really ARE better off with a Corvette.

Rob, thanks for, if nothing else, illustrating the point I try to make whenever someone posts on CC wondering whether this car is right for them. Some guys need to be hit over the head to get the point, but at least you can be the poster boy for the "Why I'd Be Better Off With A Corvette (Or A Miata)" crowd, some of whom surface here from time to time. From now on, I'll just save my typing finger and refer them to this thread.

Sorry it didn't work out for you but again, Cobras aren't for everybody.

BTW...How many times have you been married?

Bye.

Lowell
ERA 626 likes this.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

Good thing the Oscar Mayer Weiner Mobile wasn't driving by when he asked his kid which car he should have!!!

But I think he does make the point that before jumping into one of these cars, you should talk to as many owners/former owners as possible. Like anything else you have to do your homework. The more opinions you get, the closer your dream will come to reality.

Almost without exception, at every car cruise I go to people come up to me and want to talk about the car; is it fun? etc. I typically tell them that yeah, it's mucho fun, but for me about 2 hours is the limit that I can take (cramped, loud, windy, stiff clutch), and that you have to drive it like a motorcycle - always look our for yourself because you are so vunerable; and that get's tiring too.

When I first got the car on the road, I used any excuse to drive it (like going a half mile for milk), now if I'm not going somewhere fun to drive, or at least long enough to get the engine warmed up, I'll take something else.

I guess that I'm trying to say I love the car and can't see selling it, but just more selective about how I drive it, where and when.

Dan

Last edited by Dan Stryffeler; 09-06-2007 at 05:26 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 05:40 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham, KMP178 / '66 GT350H, 4-speed
Not Ranked     

This feels like I am 30th on line behind Brutus, waiting for a shot at a dead Caesar...

Listen, take Rob's dialog at face value...it is his point of view...lay off the character jabs and see it for what it is:

The project was a round peg in a square hole....from the get-go.

The moral is that a car like this is not for everybody...despite the wistful memories of hi-octane youth.
Sometimes a two-dimensional memory never meets the expectations when you get to a three-dimensional reality. Look at how many first-owner cars get sent to CobraCountry with "...800 pampered miles."

So, comment on the scenario....stow the slurs and let him leave with some dignity.

thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Old 09-06-2007, 05:58 AM
Renegade Nuns on Wheels
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 roadster with 351C-4B
Not Ranked     

Rob's story is more common then many people think. A cautionary tale for those who are thinking about the 'Cobra experience'. If you are looking to jump in, read this post, read Hal Couples description, take a long look inside and choose wisely!

OhioCobraClub.com
LondonCobraShow.com
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #1358 Silver/Black stripes 466 2X4
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmimac351
People definitely need to read what this guy shared and realize that there are two types of people who should own these cars:

People who can build them / work on them

or

People that have enough money to pay someone to do so without complaining about it.
I have a similar saying...There are "car guy's" and there are "guy's with cars".

Car Guy's can build, upgrade or at least maintain there machine and are willing to investigate and repair to there ability and shop/garage conditions.

Guy's with Cars will drive there vehicles and gas up.....they will pay to have all problems repaired and probably cleaned.

A Cobra is a high maintenance vehicle...as in any vintage high performance vehicle or muscle car. Guy's with Cars beware...if your not willing to chase down some problems and do some of the repairs, then please don't complain, because they do happen.

Rob's experiences are not unique to fellow Cobra owners, although they are far and few in between...unfortunately Rob had several....
Old 09-06-2007, 06:15 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hi-Tech
Not Ranked     

rsimoes wrote: It made me start to wonder if God did not want me to have a Cobra. So in talking to my wife about it, she said "If God did not want you to have a Cobra, He would change your heart and you would not want a Cobra anymore." I laughed at that and said, "I guess God really wants me to have a Cobra then." Hhmmm, look what happened now. . .

You are correct, God does not want you to have a cobra. He wants you to give it to me...seriously!
Old 09-06-2007, 06:16 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 389 427s/o
Not Ranked     

Rob obviously did not have a good experience.

My observation on this is not his builds and all the problems it was his method.

His first premise is where he gets off the track.

He says he wanted to own a Cobra. So then why not go out and BUY an already complete Cobra. Have it looked over by a qualified mechanic and ask lots of questions.

Second problem -- He asked his young son what he wanted. I take my 2 boys (age 2 and 4) to car shows all the time. I ask if they like this car or that car. They like them ALL. They want me to buy them ALL. My kids love going for rides with me in the Cobra. Even if it is just around the block.

I ended up buying a smelly, gaz guzzling, loud, rattling, POS that needs to be cleaned all the time 3 years ago. Not counting cleaning it my time with it has been 90% on the road. The other 10% has been fiddling with it which has allowed me to meet some great people.

His other observations are fairly obvious upon listening to one start up.

Oh well, to each his own and good luck with the Corvette. Can't go wrong with that car.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:22 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance # 532, 466 BB, 560HP
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by computerworks
The moral is that a car like this is not for everybody...despite the wistful memories of hi-octane youth.
Sometimes a two-dimensional memory never meets the expectations when you get to a three-dimensional reality.
thanks
ron
ClubCobra Moderator
Your comments above reflect what I felt in one of my first threads.

Got cold feet yesterday

I had a dream, and I was fearful that the reality would not match the dream.

Luckily in my case, I took the plunge and even though I have only had the car for one week, I'm in love with it.

I do not mind getting my hands dirty so that is not a problem with me.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I find it extremely funny, sorry guys, that he had to spend all that money to wind up doing what someone here told him to do in his very first posting (well maybe within the first 5). All his posts were usually inquiring WHAT the people here thought instead of what he wanted. Not surprising that he asked his child what to do. I LOVE bare bones High Performance cars, I used to drive a retired Mustang Pro Stock car on the street for 20 years. The Cobra is extremely refined,LOL.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:49 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowell W
"Why I'd Be Better Off With ... Miata)"
I love the way Miatas shake and quiver when I pass them on the highway....
Old 09-06-2007, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Excellent write-up Rismoes, it is nice to see the sharks out, even after all your disclaimers in your initail write-up there were still individuals feeling better about their situation by insulting yours. It is obvious you did the write-up to enlighten and help others since you do not own one anymore. I agree with everything you said, I know if I were not a mechanic my experience would have been different.

Best of luck in the vet world, I know mile for mile the vet will hold it value better and even better you will have piece of mind.

I purchased a used miata on a whim from a buddy just after I sold my Cobra for $3500. After driving the Miata every day with the ac on and having a blast after 6K miles I questioned my sanity for buying a Cobra.

Bottom line is different strokes for different folks.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

In my opinion there are two types this car (Cobra) appeals to. Gear heads and Car guys.
Gear heads build their own cars and do all the maintenance work.
Gear heads go to track events and some even race or open track their Cobras.
Gear heads know that Cobras leak oil, smell, ride lousy. They also know that Cobras are not as fast as Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers etc. ON THE RACETRACK.

Car guys buy cars that somebody else built or they contract to others to assemble their car.
Car guys go to car shows, hang out on cruise nights, talk about driving fast.
Car guys are quick to give advise to others and some even profess to be Cobra experts.
Car guys still believe that Cobras are the fastest cars ever built.

Most Gear heads are happy with the Cobras they own.

Most Car guys don't keep their Cobras very long.

Most of the posters on Club Cobra are Car guys.
SGwick likes this.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via AIM to mj_duell
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACER X #99
In my opinion there are two types this car (Cobra) appeals to. Gear heads and Car guys.
Gear heads build their own cars and do all the maintenance work.
Gear heads go to track events and some even race or open track their Cobras.
Gear heads know that Cobras leak oil, smell, ride lousy. They also know that Cobras are not as fast as Corvettes, Porsches, Vipers etc. ON THE RACETRACK.

Car guys buy cars that somebody else built or they contract to others to assemble their car.
Car guys go to car shows, hang out on cruise nights, talk about driving fast.
Car guys are quick to give advise to others and some even profess to be Cobra experts.
Car guys still believe that Cobras are the fastest cars ever built.

Most Gear heads are happy with the Cobras they own.

Most Car guys don't keep their Cobras very long.

Most of the posters on Club Cobra are Car guys.
Cranky! How true.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:06 AM
Banned
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF w/392CI stroker
Not Ranked     

Maybe this could be a source of better therapy for guys like Rob...

www.shrinksforless.com
Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx
Excellent write-up Rismoes, it is nice to see the sharks out, even after all your disclaimers in your initail write-up there were still individuals feeling better about their situation by insulting yours. It is obvious you did the write-up to enlighten and help others since you do not own one anymore. I agree with everything you said, I know if I were not a mechanic my experience would have been different.

Best of luck in the vet world, I know mile for mile the vet will hold it value better and even better you will have piece of mind.
I agree... and disagree. I would bet money that the Kirkham would have less depreciation over the next year or 2 than the vette will. But that's ok.

I think basically, the reason most people here who have commented brashly to the thread are the facts... he knew it was a race car, he knew it would be loud and obnoxious, that it had no A/C, no power steering, and wasn't meant to have a top. Yet those are his exact reasons for hating it!

Bottom line, I've heard it over and over again since I've joined CC... If you don't like, loud, obnoxious, smelly, POS... Then you don't want a cobra! For the most part, those "gear heads" will always love the car for the exact reasons that others hate 'em!

"If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen!"

IMO, he'll enjoy his Vette better. He was meant for the vette. At least he knows now that a cobra is not for him although I think if he had initially posted what HE wanted. Most of the guys on this board would have told him to buy a vette.

Last edited by fsstnotch; 09-06-2007 at 07:18 AM..
Old 09-06-2007, 07:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

I think Rob made some poor decisions in his journey to own his dream car. But I don't hold it against him, it's not like he made those decisions knowing the poor outcomes. People make mistakes. Some are worse than others.

I owned a FFR and a KMP on my journey to my CSX. Lost some time and money in the process. But I do not regret either choice. By having both those cars, I learned a ton about them, good and bad. Now I can use that knowledge to help others. I also met a lot of great people from both camps. I highly value that as well. I like to think I gained more than I lost along the way.

As for people getting Cobras and realizing it's not for them, that is very true. I have a local guy here who has dreamed of a Cobra since he was little. Seeing mine every day, just made him more fired up to get one. So as he was frantically looking for a car, I offered to take him for a ride in mine, so he could get an idea of what they are like. I took him for a ride, and when we got back he thanked me. The next day he told me he was going to buy a Corvette instead.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Closed Thread