Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 01:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 545 stroker
Not Ranked     

Not snubbing him/them/whoever...maybe he/they don't have the mechanical skills for a large scale project; lord knows I didn't...kinda learned on the fly. All i was trying to say is that you obtain a real sense of accomplishment and a better sense of humility when you work hard to do something yourself. I've come across guys like Dave was talking about at car shows who just dropped a bunch of money on their car and then automatically assumed it's better. It's aggravating and it takes the fun and enjoyment out of owning these types of cars. Sorry if you took it the wrong way.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLDMNBB View Post
This thread really reminds me of an experience of mine this past show season. I entered the Cobra in the Domestic Two Seater Class. Ended up being eight Corvettes and my Cobra. I had many compliments on the Cobra and there were several gorgeous Vetts there. The Cobra received first in class. As I was walking up to get the trophy I overheard one of the vett owners telling another one “It’s just a replica” Anyway enjoyed the show and met some really nice Vett owners.

And yes everyone one of them asked if I built it. I said no, I bought just like you did!

Roger
Stupid Vettes anyway!
Old 11-11-2010, 02:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Well... You can't assume that the guy with a pristine '57 Corvette just bought it that way. Could have been crawling around in the garage restoring it. Hats off to those that can do that.

I liked having clean parts to work with as I built my ERA...

Most everyone I meet admires my Cobra, and are astounded that I put it together myself. At the end of the day, if their measure of a man is his car then they are going to come up short on my measure of a fellow human being.

And I still say that big cigar looks like a big di...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-11-2010, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique# 4279459
Send a message via ICQ to KrAzEcJ
Not Ranked     

Guess this doesnt actually count as a snub from a fellow Cobra owner but its been the only time I felt like telling someone to go blank himself and my Cobra wasnt even finished. I was asked to bring my chasis to show what the Cobra looked like under the body. The engine and tranny were in and was on display. A well know engine builder and purist didnt know I was within ear shot or didnt give a sh*t if I was I guess was telling another person looking at the chasis that he couldnt believe someone bastardized it by putting in a 385 series motor in it.....

Just a side note that I have met 2 local FFR owners one in Athens Ga and one here in Dawsonville where I live and both were very friendly. Infact the one here in Dawsonville the wife and I met him and his wife for dinner just a week or so ago. So in short no different make or model of a replica Cobra makes someone an azzhat they come in all shapes and sizes.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous Doug View Post
Well... You can't assume that the guy with a pristine '57 Corvette just bought it that way. Could have been crawling around in the garage restoring it. Hats off to those that can do that.

I liked having clean parts to work with as I built my ERA...

Most everyone I meet admires my Cobra, and are astounded that I put it together myself. At the end of the day, if their measure of a man is his car then they are going to come up short on my measure of a fellow human being.

And I still say that big cigar looks like a big di...

DD
Right, and that guy isn't likely to act like an a** to you because he worked hard on his 57 vette (although you never know). My auto shop teacher was a guy like that, he spent several years restoring a 69 big block vette; very humble man. It's guys like the ones Dave ran into that told him to move his trailer next to the toilets, or the guy that told him to take his "damn" hands of his car. Those people just aren't fun to be around.

Over all though I've met really nice people at all the car shows I've been to. Just good people that love their cars, no matter what brand they are. I guess sometimes there's just one in every crowd.

I just recently moved to Huntsville, Alabama and I'm hoping to meet some of the Cobra owners in this area and check out their rides.
Old 11-13-2010, 04:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arps/Burroughs/Hurricane/428FE
Not Ranked     

Gee Fellas,

Our Cobra's are just fun little cars that have some history, we got to keep some perspective and appreciate them for what they are.

Fun to build, great to show, get un-ending positive comments from everyone..everywhere,...... and scary fast.
Who really gives a damm what some silly jerk might say or do.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Heck, I get snubbed all the time. My car is driven. It has scratches, chips, worn carpet, and of all things, a Chevy engine. The engine was in it when I bought it.

"Fellow" Cobra owners look and make comments like...pretty worn out...oh, it has a ****vy engine...wonder where this rag came from...stuff like that. In the meantime, they get in their little showpieces on a Wednesday night, drive it 2 miles to the local cruise, park it for 3 hours, and drive it home. Maybe if the car is lucky, it gets a few pampered miles on the weekend.

Hey, whatever you want. You paid for it. I like driving my car. Oh..and that ****vy engine puts out about 500 hp and gets about 22 mph on the highway. Pretty good for a worn rag.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by joyridin' View Post
Oh..and that ****vy engine puts out about 500 hp and gets about 22 mph on the highway. Pretty good for a worn rag.
22 mph huh? Pretty impressive... everybody's gonna want a Chevy engine now!

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...
Old 11-13-2010, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz View Post
22 mph huh? Pretty impressive... everybody's gonna want a Chevy engine now!
It's the 6 speed I guess...LOL
Old 11-13-2010, 03:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Now come on you guys you know the mph is a typo for mpg. But, whatevah, lets run with it.

SO, uh, Yeah, I always figured a Chevy wasn't much good for anything over 23 mph...

HA HA HA HA
Old 11-13-2010, 09:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

unless it's it's a chevy, or a kit t-bucket, whenever I see a sbc in a 'rod or whatever, I automatically assume the builder cut corners on the engine, or cut corners on the car somewhere else.

Even when i see a chevy engine in a pontiac, or olds, I figure the guy was just being lazy or cheap.

Might as well keep it to yourself and keep the hood closed, 'cause it's uninteresting.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Used to feel that way,now realise they do not know how to act.So it's no biggy,approach them if they still act like their head is up where the sun don't shine,walk the other way.They are not worth knowing.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:18 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #2899 Dart 440 stroker 771 hp w/nitrous
Not Ranked     
Default snubbed

I agree with many of you. Some poor fellas (not isolated to cobra owners) have a lack of social graces. I take the high road and am blessed with the gift to gab.Usually,the loser's with an attitude don't hang around so I move on to the question. It's not about you...it's about their personal issues!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

Wow doggin the Chevy's cutting corners because its a Chevy..Tuff crowd,I thought it was personal preference as to the mill you run under the hood.I love the newer LS series engines.Even if its a Gen1 engine they can make tons of ponies and be very relieable.From Crower the Billet Crank was the Same price be it Ford or Chevy..
To many pissin matchs go on between car guys.It should be about the Love of our Hobbie/Sport..
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 11-14-2010, 10:48 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wait, are we "snubbin" some one for his engine choice?

I hope not,,, but joyridin's typo, mph vs mpg, was just to easy to pass up!
Old 11-14-2010, 10:51 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Sometimes the inherently competitive nature of the typical Cobra owner is mistaken for snubbin'.
Old 11-14-2010, 11:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Coupe SOLD.Current 66 Mustang
Not Ranked     

I shure think originality has its place,we caught it for running the 351/408 insted of a 289 but we all have our own Ideal engine setup.If your runing on track comparing results the proof is often in results.Were the car shows is a hole other deal.
I agree Life is way to short to worry about gas milage.Other rides Crewcab Super Duty F350 Ford,Shlby Charger,66Mustang/Frankinstang,Chevy Van,KTM Dualsport,FFR Daytona Coupe SOLD... RUN N GUN 06,07,08,09 Hallet 09,
Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
...the car shows is a hole other deal.
I gotta admit, that is the most likely place your going to run an a hole,,, or two.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildBill3 View Post
Wow doggin the Chevy's cutting corners because its a Chevy..Tuff crowd,I thought it was personal preference as to the mill you run under the hood.I love the newer LS series engines.Even if its a Gen1 engine they can make tons of ponies and be very relieable.From Crower the Billet Crank was the Same price be it Ford or Chevy..
To many pissin matchs go on between car guys.It should be about the Love of our Hobbie/Sport..
It doesn't really bother me. The car is an Arntz and was designed to have a Chevy engine. One was in it when I bought it. I thought about changing it, but with the rapid decrease in car values in the past few years, it would probably be cheaper to sell it and buy another one with a Ford engine. Chevy engines are basically cheap horsepower.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:44 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Actually, your right, a Chevy is right at home in an Arntz/Butler replica model. Kind of like JBL and some other's, this a model that was not constrained by any particular "standards", but was a new interpretation of the original. I find the extreme setback of the engine (regardless of what it might be), which results in a rather large interior compartment intrusion, to be a bit uncomfortable for my taste. An interesting car, those Arntz/Butlers.