Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2009, 07:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five Racing MKIII Roadster 347
Not Ranked     

Twood, that's harsh! j/k

just off topic a bit, trophies used to mean something to me when I was young and even during my 30's. But one day I looked at all of them and realized they didn't mean much anymore. Great references for the specific event won, but otherwise they were crowding my die-cast collection so I just boxed them and stored them away.

I prefer the 'breakfast' venues myself. No need to shine the cars, drive for dozens of miles, talk shop w/o regards to which manufacturer, and just enjoy life with an amazing car. I'm not here to inflate or deflate egos when it comes to Cobras. I just love the car. (However, a Cobra with another 100-200hp does make me feel just a bit impotent..... j/k, j/k )
Old 06-26-2009, 07:44 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWOOD View Post
I'm very much a rookie with the "car show & cruise in" activities. Have gone to a few shows with friends, followed their lead, and registered. Always confused as to which catagory to select.
I did a weeknight small local church cruise in / car show this week by myself. Wife and friends were busy and thought I meet some new people. So,..I registered, 17 catagories and I still was indecisive about which one to choose. Came down to Best Ford OR Best Unique. I figured I would avoid offending the Ford purists. About 70 cars showed up and I walked aropund to see them all. Realized, at that point, only three "vehicles" chose the Best Unique catagory: Me, a VW (half dune buggy, half pickup), and a kids go cart (that his dad bought, not built).

Now I just want to leave, but I stay and do meet some people to talk cars.
Comes the awards and I'm wishing, "not me, please not me".

The MC prefaces this last award presentation by saying, "The judges don't select the catagories, the owners choose them", and calls my name. I'm thinking, "I should have left, but I can't escape now". It looked like I chose the unique catagory and "stole" the trophy from a 12 year old kid. The kid and the cart already left and I couldn't pass the trophy along to him.

I think I shall never register at a show again. Painfull, rookie mistake!
I think I shall just stick to driving.
I go to a couple of car shows and cruise nites a year, I like to see other cars and talk to the owners/builders, have made many friends over the years......

Simple solution to your problem, keep going, at the registration desk,just tell them you want to register your car as a "Display Only" car, no classification, no judging, that's what I do.......and then enjoy the show, the cars and the people...........

David
Old 06-26-2009, 07:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everette Morrison HP 396
Not Ranked     

Yeah, and if you have a bowtie cobra, you are really looked down on...
Old 06-26-2009, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filippo View Post
Well, you should be!!
Old 06-26-2009, 12:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everette Morrison HP 396
Not Ranked     
Default Bowtie Cobra

Yup, I can dig it...had I built it, it would be powered by a Ford 427...but I traded two Harleys for it....so I will just have to deal with it until the 450-hp 396 tires on me and fades...

Filippo
Old 06-26-2009, 03:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Yup, I can dig it...had I built it, it would be powered by a Ford 427...but I traded two Harleys for it....so I will just have to deal with it until the 450-hp 396 tires on me and fades...

Filippo
Don't worry about it...just keep the hood closed and let 'em wonder.
Old 06-26-2009, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Factory Five MKIII Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
You should get one of those stickers that shows the guy peeing on a Ford.
That would raise an eyebrow
Old 06-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantacobra View Post
You should get one of those stickers that shows the guy peeing on a Ford.
That would raise an eyebrow
That's great! You gotta have a sense of humor in this world.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it
Old 06-26-2009, 08:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Backdraft, 351, 5speed
Not Ranked     

This is REALLY interesting!
After having this car for just a couple of weeks I now realize that a lot of people are interested if they know what it is (or not)!

I have noticed some folks are a little tied up in which one you have but I feel the same as an earlier poster, I see this machine as a toy. If it was real I wouldnt keep it at the beach and I surely would not drive it at EVERY possible chance.....I'm so caught up in my own enjoyment of this car I dont even consider what anyone else thinks.

Comon, tell me you dont get this big smile on your face every time you fire your baby up!
Old 06-27-2009, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR#499 351W with Webers
Not Ranked     

I just came from the Nashville Nationals Good Guys car show. I drove the Cobra, but did not put it in the show. There were two Cobras there in the "Show and Shine." Both were good looking cars. I noticed one of them (a Unique I think) had Autometer gauges and the tach was resting on 1200RPM, or so. I also have the Autometer vintage gauges and my tach normally sits around 1000 – 1100 with the ignition off as well. I used this common trait as an opening to speak to the owner and his wife, saying I owned a BDR and asked about his car. You would have thought I insulted the guy! He acted like I was asking about his personal life or something…definitely did not want to talk about the car. My wife could not believe it either. She made the comment to me as we walked away that if you put your car on display at a show like the Good Guys, you should expect questions from folks and should be prepared to talk about your ride. After all, isn’t that what this hobby all about? I don’t get it.

Gun Doc
Old 06-28-2009, 01:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF_R_/BRG/FRBoss302/327CI/FordEFI/Under_Car_Exh/
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodKnock View Post
Tiger owners snub anything that's not a Tiger.
I just dont get that -- there is a tiger guy in campbell that snumbbed me in my black 64 convertible *and* my SPF.

Tiger people -go fig ....
Steve SPF 2734 MK3 / Brock Coupe #54- panavia.com
Old 06-28-2009, 05:15 AM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
I just dont get that -- there is a tiger guy in campbell that snumbbed me...

They tend to show deference to Cougar owners and the occasional Cheetah owner. I even got a modicum of respect for my Mercury Lynx. Apparently it's a feline thing....
Old 06-29-2009, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Factory Five MKIII Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gun Doc View Post
I just came from the Nashville Nationals Good Guys car show. I drove the Cobra, but did not put it in the show. There were two Cobras there in the "Show and Shine." Both were good looking cars. I noticed one of them (a Unique I think) had Autometer gauges and the tach was resting on 1200RPM, or so. I also have the Autometer vintage gauges and my tach normally sits around 1000 – 1100 with the ignition off as well. I used this common trait as an opening to speak to the owner and his wife, saying I owned a BDR and asked about his car. You would have thought I insulted the guy! He acted like I was asking about his personal life or something…definitely did not want to talk about the car. My wife could not believe it either. She made the comment to me as we walked away that if you put your car on display at a show like the Good Guys, you should expect questions from folks and should be prepared to talk about your ride. After all, isn’t that what this hobby all about? I don’t get it.

Gun Doc
It must have something to do with the approach??
You must have made the same mistake I made. A few more shows and we'll figure it out....
Old 06-30-2009, 06:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

This whole thread just gets me p.o.'d. Mostly because I drive an Edsel station wagon, and can't snub ANYBODY. Nuts.
Old 06-30-2009, 07:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Oh but Ned, surely you could at least snub Pinto owners!

Dick
Old 06-30-2009, 08:12 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by PANAVIA View Post
I just dont get that -- there is a tiger guy in campbell that snumbbed me in my black 64 convertible *and* my SPF.

I think I know who he is too. I love Tigers and I owned one for a few years and may even get another one some day, but I think Tiger owners think they have the last undiscovered jewel(s) in the universe and nothing else matters.

However, if you own and drive a Lotus, you make get a Tiger owner to reluctantly turn their head to look at your car.

JMHO.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamaluv View Post
Oh but Ned, surely you could at least snub Pinto owners!

Dick
Well, I could try to snub them. But I don't want them to blow up in my face, so to speak.
Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA EXP002, 1968 PI 428 FE
Not Ranked     

I think you would be OK so long as you don't get to close to their rear end.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:21 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: streetbeast kit
Not Ranked     
Default Snub; wait till you read this

We are car guy's first.
just mention a streetbease cobra around here and all the snubers just warm up.
now tell them you are building a streetbeasst with a big block Chevy.
watch what happens then. I do not care if you build it or buy it a hot rod is a hot rod, does it bring a smile to your face when you are with it? that is all that counts.
the only people that have any right to say anything is an original cobra owner,they can tell you about their cobra because you will not see it on the road, it might get hurt. I have meet a lot of car guy's at shows that will take the time to be as nice as nice gets, no matter what car they have. and other guy's that have a POS and they don't even talk to you.
Just go out and have some fun while it is warm and sunny. because it gets cold and smowy real fast. Jim

71SS454 Chevelle with just a bit of work done to it
Old 07-01-2009, 11:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by redss454 View Post

an original cobra owner,they can tell you about their cobra because you will not see it on the road, it might get hurt.
I would suggest that typecasting has no place here or anywhere else. When you speak of any group - be it the FF guys, the ERA people, the Tiger owners, or whoever - to say they are all alike is simply incorrect. As for the owners of original Cobras whose cars you won't see on the road because they might get hurt, don't include me or the other 13 people who have participated in the various tours for original Cobras over the past several years. Mt wife and I just drove both our Cobras over 1000 miles in the pouring rain on this year's "Cobra Battleground Tour" in VA and WV. You think you don't see original Cobras on the road? Guess again.