LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2009, 08:17 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 427 S.O. Dual Quad / Cobra undecided
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by razerwire View Post
Plan to ask two of my friends who have zr1 corvettes to go back with me , with me in middle to go around 2 or 3 times and then just leave.
Whats the point? To "get" them back? If they're being d!*#'s just let them go and enjoy your sled.

Last edited by lineslinger; 06-11-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Old 06-11-2009, 08:30 AM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I'm being snubbed right now by my fellow FFR owners as soon as they found out I had ordered a new SPF.
I went through the same thing when I sold my first FFR and bought a Contemporary 427SC...It was like I killed their dog/cat/wife/husband......

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Factory Five MKIII Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstuke View Post
Good one Jim!

Funny thing is I suspect I know what show he was at and know at least one of the Roadster owners at the show.

I think we have a great fraternity, and very little ego. We go on rides and have folks with other makes go most of the time. It is very interesting to most of us to hear other peoples experience with their particular make.

Some of us will be at Road Atlanta this weekend supporting a few local spec racers, and everyone is invited to come hang with us!

Frankly I don't see many of the other makes at track days, or Autocross, or even HPDE.

AtlantaCobra do you work out at the fitness place on PIB and Rogers Bridge?

Hey there. Nope, I don't work out at that place, but I know where you're talking about. I live just a couple miles away. Maybe we'll run into each other sometime (not literally I hope )
I didn't mean to stand back and throw any grenade's with this topic. I agree that it's certainly the exception, not the norm for these types of folks. By and large people love to ask questions and say great things and share facts about their different makes. It's just those few FFR guys - totally kidding. I've met a lot of those guys and they're great.
Would love to hook up with anyone in the North Atlanta area for a ride sometime. Can't do this weekend for a softball tournament takes priority.
Hope to see you all around over the summer!
Old 06-11-2009, 09:31 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
I've been going to car shows for most of my life. I started out following my Dad to Model A Ford events as soon as I could walk. I carefully listened to everything he said and early on I learned to spot the seemingly insignificant differences between a '28 and a '29, a '30 and a '31, etc. I regularly attend local shows for British cars, Mopars, Corvettes, Mustangs, '55-'57 Chevys, etc. I just love the cars and talking to the owners.
Two things from Dad's wisdom I remember most about car shows. First, be careful what you say aloud at a car show. The owner is probably within earshot, and may overhear your comments. "If you don't have anything good to say, then say nothing at all." Second, "Do Not Touch. The owner has a lot of time and effort in the car, and the last thing you want to do is damage some guy's pride and joy."
It never ceases to amaze me how spectators today have no qualms about touching, leaning over, even opening the door of a show car. My Dad would have immediately yanked me to the side and given me a firm talking-to, and threatened to leave me at home the next time. I think parenting skills have fallen by the wayside somewhat lately. Few respect another's property anymore. It's no wonder society has the problems we have today, if behaviour at a car show is any indicator.
+1,000. There are some people who have absolutely ZERO etiquette. None!

I haven't even had my car that long, and I need a calculator to add up the number of times people have come up to my car parked and literally had to touch it to see if it really exists or something. Drives me nuts.

Regarding "snubs", I think there are "snubs" in every marque. Ferrari owners used to snub the 246 or anything with less than 12-cylinders, now it's chic. Now they snub 308's and 348's.

Porsche owners snub anything that's not a 911 (i.e., 928, 914, Boxster, etc.).

Tiger owners snub anything that's not a Tiger.

I owned a mid-year Vette and other Corvette owners would literally run their fingers underneath the fender to figure out whether you had the original fiberglass seams. Heaven forbid if you owned a Vette with a one-piece replacement front end.
Old 06-11-2009, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR # 5519
Not Ranked     

I love all Cobras. And I have a special part set aside in me for the 1,003 original ones. Whenever I see an original, its like meeting a Beatle to me. I take pictures and chronicle it.

That being said, two people I know and admire own replicas. Cobra Anthony Bousailis and Jay Leno. Anthony owns CSX3016 and 3026, original comp SC cars. Insured at over 5 million each. And, also owned a replica for ten years or more(He just sold it). Jay Leno of course only owns a replica(hand made 20 years ago). And has no plans to own one. So, you can see, I have no problem with a replica. Are some replicas better than others? Of course!! Does building it yourself make it better? Of course not!!! I bought a home built Cobra and it was so bad that I had it completely rebuilt at LK Motorsports.

Since owning my FFR I have seen a lot of what is being talked about. I can't tell you how many people have rubbed their hands inside my fenderwell to see how well it was made(I want to mount some of those "keep the birds away" spikes underneath, might stop this). Of course at a car show, everyone critiques each others cars. Its what we do. But compared to a Mustang show, where each car started at Ford, at a Cobra show there are 10-20 different manufacturers and many more builders. I can honestly say i went over to backdrafts booth at the AHA show and looked at their cars and could've had a comparable car for about the same cost. But I in hindsight wouldn't change anything.

Hell, I'm probably the most hated Cobra replica owner on earth. I own a FFR that I didn't build, the dash is signed by CS, who in turn sued LK Motorsports, FFR, and ffcobra.com

I just don't care what enyone else thinks. Quit worrying what others think of your car. If you like it, it should be good enough.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR #89, KCR aluminum 427 windsor
Not Ranked     

A lot of vette owners seem to have an inferiority complex when it comes to the Cobra. Almost every time I'm out around town in my BDR, someone in a Z06 is chasing me down, wanting to race. Yea, like I'd do that in town. He may even be faster... and I could care less. I didn't buy my BDR to impress anyone... I just love the car.

Was visiting a buddy who was mid-build on his FFR (552ci BB). Some guy had contacted him, wanting to see it, & said that HE had a Cobra too... (turned out to be a MUSTANG Cobra)... a terminator, granted, but still a Mustang. When I dropped by, this guy asked if I had one too. I said yes. He asked what engine... I said "427"... he said "FE?"... I said "No, Windsor"... he said "aw, that's too bad!"

I found his reply hilarious. I love the big blocks, but I also LOVE my aluminum 427 Windsor. It's got a snotty cam, so it sounds pretty mean. Have had several people say "awesome sounding big block" as I drive by... I just smile & wave as I drive by.

The whole "build versus buy" thing cracks me up as well. There's no right or wrong, just what's right for YOU. I respect the hell out of the guys who built theirs. I wanted to do a build, but couldn't justify the economics. I got an amazing deal on my BDR, which has WAY more power than I needed or wanted. Had I built, I would've spent nearly twice as much money... and I didn't have to spend a year or two of my free time on the build.

I'd LOVE to build a mod-motored coupe (some day), but I'd need another garage and a lot more cash... gotta keep buying them lotto tickets!
BDR #89- KCR aluminum 427 windsor, TKO-600
Old 06-11-2009, 11:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five MK2, Ford Racing 345HP Crate motor, TFS Street Heat, Redline ECU, T5, 3 link
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantacobra View Post
Hey there. Nope, I don't work out at that place, but I know where you're talking about. I live just a couple miles away. Maybe we'll run into each other sometime (not literally I hope )
I didn't mean to stand back and throw any grenade's with this topic. I agree that it's certainly the exception, not the norm for these types of folks. By and large people love to ask questions and say great things and share facts about their different makes. It's just those few FFR guys - totally kidding. I've met a lot of those guys and they're great.
Would love to hook up with anyone in the North Atlanta area for a ride sometime. Can't do this weekend for a softball tournament takes priority.
Hope to see you all around over the summer!
I drove by there one day and there was a gray or dark silver Roadster parked there, thought it might be yours.

I try to post over here when we go for a ride, but don't be afraid to keep a close eye on what we are up to. We generally try to keep up to date in the Southeast forum, which is here:
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I'm at Old Peachtree and I-85, so around the corner from you as well.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR MKII - 460 Crate with Cobra Jet heads, 750 Quick Fuel Carb, and Edelbrock Torker II Intake port matched to heads
Not Ranked     

Ok, although I own a Factory Five, I did not build it. Like was previously mentioned, maybe it's the fact that someone spent a lot of time and less money to get a car looking like a SPF that turns them off to SPF. I know from talking to an SPF owner, they have their own group that no one else is invited to. This SPF owner has told me about conversations on the group where "all F5R owners think their sh$t don't stink". Guess I'm the exception, because I know mine does I've only been snubbed by factory classic cars - old vettes, mustangs, '57 chevy's etc.... guess because it's not a factory car, but it is a hot rod, so what difference does it make? The important thing is, we all have fun, except for Clois, man that guy is stuck up Just kidding.
Old 06-11-2009, 12:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 65 Factory Five MKIII Cobra
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstuke View Post
I drove by there one day and there was a gray or dark silver Roadster parked there, thought it might be yours.

I try to post over here when we go for a ride, but don't be afraid to keep a close eye on what we are up to. We generally try to keep up to date in the Southeast forum, which is here:
http://www.ffcobra.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25

I'm at Old Peachtree and I-85, so around the corner from you as well.
Hey, we're really close to each other.....I'm at Sugarloaf and Old Peachtree - Parsons Plantation subdivision across from Hull Middle.
I've checked out the FFcobra website before and it's pretty nice. I'll try to look for you guys taking a ride and show up as the red headed step child -
Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Great to see you low post members here. Ya know, they call us "lurkers". I think that is a "snub". No harm done, of course. How many of us are there? Who knows.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:41 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

An a$$hole is an a$$hole whatever he drives, probably was an a$$hole before he ever drove anything and will no doubt remain an a$$hole after he no longer drives. These people are from all walks of life, are both poor and wealthy and everything in between. All hobbies and professions have a$$holes among them, not just the car hobby. The problem goes much deeper than material things and is usually based on a lack of self worth and an inability to acknowledge anything good.
Old 06-11-2009, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfletch View Post
Great to see you low post members here. Ya know, they call us "lurkers". I think that is a "snub". No harm done, of course. How many of us are there? Who knows.
Lurkers? I think a lurker is someone with a post count of "1" who voices an opinion against the tide and contrary to all evidence in the "consumer watch" section, never to be heard from again. Usually purports to know the "inside scoop" of why the person reported in consumer watch is "innocent".

Not a snub. More like calling a spade a spade.

Post count > 2? No worries.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 06-11-2009, 04:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

DD,

I disagree with you, Sir. What you have described is a person with an axe to grind that has no interest in this site. A "lurker" is a somewhat derogatory term to indicate that a person has not posted frequently for some reason.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:34 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance 460 SVO
Not Ranked     

DD I think TROLL is the word you're looking for
Old 06-11-2009, 04:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Calbullet,

I believe Troll is an overposter and a pain in the a$$.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:45 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdfletch View Post
Calbullet,

I believe Troll is an overposter and a pain in the a$$.
A lot of us put our toe in that pool from time to time.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:55 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 228, Roush 342R, 457HP/428TQ, modified AOD
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
A lot of us put our toe in that pool from time to time.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Motorcars 289 FIA
Not Ranked     

I've gotten the occassional snub from other replica owners, because I didn't build my car. I guess I'm a "check-cutter", who knew that with as little free time as I have, it would've taken me a decade to put one of these cars together. I decided I'd rather spend my 30s driving one than having one scattered around in pieces all over my garage (which is funny, because I've been snubbed by guys who've been building a car for years).

However, I've gone to several British car shows here in KC, where I was the only replica. They put me in the Cobra class with several original cars, whose owners were very welcoming to me. In fact, they couldn't have been much cooler. Which makes me wonder - owners of original Cobras cut checks at some point for their cars too. Think they ever get snubbed?
Old 06-11-2009, 06:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Dickey View Post
However, I've gone to several British car shows here in KC, where I was the only replica. They put me in the Cobra class with several original cars, whose owners were very welcoming to me. In fact, they couldn't have been much cooler. Which makes me wonder - owners of original Cobras cut checks at some point for their cars too. Think they ever get snubbed?
Actually, they do! Mr. Mustang posted a very humorous thread last year about an original Cobra getting snubbed by several, I believe, FF owners who did not spot it as original and proceeded to point out how poorly the car was built. I'm sure a quick search would turn that thread up; it was quite funny.
Old 06-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
Actually, they do! Mr. Mustang posted a very humorous thread last year about an original Cobra getting snubbed by several, I believe, FF owners who did not spot it as original and proceeded to point out how poorly the car was built. I'm sure a quick search would turn that thread up; it was quite funny.
Yep, that WAS a good thread. Are you sure they were FFR owners or are you just snubbing the FFR owners again...and again...and again...