26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2009, 02:37 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I've been holding off posting my "encounters" with Cobra owners, but here goes,it's kinda long and it will be 4 or 5 "stories", then you'll understand why I don't own a Cobra!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I do have a 65 Mustang Fastback GT-350 clone.....that I drive a lot and race and do whatever I want with it and not worry about it or anything.

I used to go to a "cruise nite" when they still had it, first saturday of the month, 110 miles from home. When the weather was good 300+ cars was the norm, usually 3 to 5 Cobras....I loved the cruise nite, met a lot of good folks and learned a lot talking to car guys who built their own cars, got a lot of ideas that I used on my own car. Still good friends with a bunch of guys I've met over the years....

1: Met this guy with an early FFR (# 40 something),super nice guy, standard by-the-book early build, he did it himself in his 2 car garage!!!! Nice driver that he drove, a lot....I was very interested in his build as at the time I was 90% sure I would order an FFR within a few months and wanted his thoughts and problems with it. I looked it over for at least an hour asking him a ton of questions and he was more than happy to take the time to answer them... He had a couple of racing stickers tastefully done on each side which he later told me was to cover up a crack in one fender which he had not had repaired yet!!!!! The car showed wear on the carpet and seats as it was a couple of years old at the time and a weekly driver.
Parked right next to him was a drop-dead/perfect Cobra replica,I'll call it brand X. I admired that car also and talked to the owner, seemed like a nice guy, car had less than 400 miles on it and was an obvouis trailer queen/show car,to each his own, still a beautiful car...
During the course of the evening as you'll find at car shows/cruise nites, a group of guys will come by and admire the cars and one guy will always be an "expert" on that particular car.. We (FFR guy/myself)were sitting across the aisle near next to my car in the shade when a group of 40 something year old guys came by. They looked over both Cobras and the "expert" proclaimed loudly the FFR was the REAL DEAL, so I walked over and asked how he could tell, he said the FFR showed wear and tear on the car/interior and had a little over 35,000 miles showing and Brand X car had less than 400 miles and was "Just too perfect" to be 40+ years old!!!!!! I said maybe it had been restored recently, he said no, it just didn't look real anyway.... We all got a good laugh considering the FFR owner had spent a little less than $18,000.00 on his car and the Brand X car cost a little more than $57,000.00 according to the owner!!!!!!!Brand X owner never parked next to that little FFR again,he was not "a happy camper" after that!!!!!!!

2:Same cruise in,different nite, saw a really nice blue/white Cobra parked about 3 or 4 lanes away from everbody all by himself. Went to look at the car and the owner had those "Do Not Touch" placards all over the place, so I respected that and looked it over from a step away carefully placing my hands behind my back. The owner and his wife (60's I'd guess) were sitting behind the car with another similar aged couple chatting. I noticed some things on the car, mainly the brakes system that I liked and wanted to ask the owner about it.Everytime I turned to him to talk to him, he would turn away and begin chatting with the other couple, so I left and decided to come back later which I did. This time the weather was turning a little bad as a summer thunderstorm was popping up and it was starting to get windy. As I was looking under the hood, I saw the hood "wavering" side to side in the stiff breeze, he had it open with one prop rod on the passenger side,I was on the drivers side. After a minute or two a strong gust came from the rear and pushed the hood to the front, the prop rod dropping down and I instinctively reached up and caught the hood before it laid over the front of the car... The owner jumped up from his chair and came on the opposite side of the car and be both gently laid the hood back down and doing so I asked him, "which way to turn the hood latch to lock it down"?..... He looked up at me with the meanest,worst look I've ever seen and very sternly said "TAKE YOUR HANDS OFF MY CAR"!!!!!! I said, excuse me, but which way to turn the hood latch, this time he said even louder: "TAKE YOUR DAMN HANDS OFF MY CAR AND DON'T EVER TOUCH IT AGAIN"!!!!!!!!
I did as told and just walked away like someone had just kicked me in the gut, to this day still don't even know what brand car it is or even care!!!!!!!!

3: I go to this one car show every fall put on by the local Mustang car club at a Ford dealership. Nice, one day, laid back,no frills get together.Saw 2 Cobras there,one was practically across the isle from me, the other at the very end of a long aisle.After getting setup I began making the rounds looking at the cars and when I made it back near my car the Cobra owner was at his car, so I go by and intoduce myself, always complimenting the car. I asked "what brand/manufacter" as I wasn't sure, he told me it was an FFR. Looked over the car and spoke with the guy maybe 25 minutes or so,really nice guy....nice car he built.......About an hour later, I head out to the other Cobra to check it out.He had a manufacters banner across the front top of the windshield (Brand X,again) so I didn't have to ask the manufacter. He had a beautiful silver/grey srtiped car, big block motor, clean as a pin inside and out.Gave him compliments on the car and asked a few questions about his motor/trans combo. He seemd to be a nice enough guy, then he reaches behind the seat and pulls out a large wad of literature/brochures/flyers from "his" manufacter and starts handing some to me to read all the while he begins "dissing" the FFR car and OWNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He tells me he saw me talking to the guy for a while and that I shouldn't even consider an FFR, cause the're nothing but rebodied Mustangs and NO self respecting Cobra owner would be caught dead in one, much less park next to one at a car show,that's why he parked as far away as he could from the lowly FFR. I couldn't believe my ears how this guy was rambling on dissing the FFR......He didn't even know the owner nor had ever looked over the car!!!!!!!! He sounded like a poster child for "his" manufacter and not as very good one at that!!!!!!!!
After about five longggggggg minutes, I put the literature he gave me back on the seat of his car and walked away in disgust, he followed me and asked what was wrong???? I told him if owning a Brand X car would make me act like him, I rather drive a chevy!!!!!!!!!!

4: Then there was the time at a large car convention thingy a few years ago at a road course track. The show cars had their own parking area (very large) and the race cars had the racer paddock next to the track. Space was at a premium for the race cars. Tons of people there... This group of Brand X owners show up early and begin to take over just about the most prime spot in the racer paddock and spread out using up the room that no less than 25 race cars could have used, they had maybe 10 show cars. The roped of the area in crime scene type tape and pulled out their lounge chairs and began telling each other how great their Brand X cars were. Not a single one was a track car nor did they ever get "on-track". They were more interested in showing everyone just how good their cars were and just how good they were, instead all they did was cause hard feeling with everyone around for the whole weekend!!!!!!!!!! When asked to move, they about had a fit and refused as they said they were entiitled to "their" spot...... Biggest bunch of a$$holes I ever saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have a "few" more bad stories, but you get the idea.........

Then you have guys like Art Colley (remember him) who had a Cobra with a chebby motor, but his car always drew a crowd, not soo much the car, but the owner. Nicest guy in the world, would insist that little kids sit in the car and turn the wheel and get the parents to take pictures and more than once, gave them rides around the parking lot!!!!!!!!!!!

Same goes for Jim Maxwell, with not one,but TWO original Cobras. I've seen Jim giving rides and even saw him let someone else take his 3000 series car for a ride!!!!! He's one of the nicest's guys you'll ever run into..........

Why can't more Cobra owner be like Jim and Art????????????

When it came down to it, my wife suggested the Mustang Fastback as she knew how much I liked them and she then said something (for once) that made sence to me.She said: With a Cobra, you can maybe drive it 6 months a year, with a Mustang, you can drive it 12 months a year, she was right and I've since had 4 old Mustangs and just made a deal for #5........

O-K, my rants over, got it off my chest, feel much better now..........

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 07-06-2009 at 02:40 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 02:51 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
4: Then there was the time at a large car convention thingy a few years ago at a road course track. The show cars had their own parking area (very large) and the race cars had the racer paddock next to the track. Space was at a premium for the race cars. Tons of people there... This group of Brand X owners show up early and begin to take over just about the most prime spot in the racer paddock and spread out using up the room that no less than 25 race cars could have used, they had maybe 10 show cars. The roped of the area in crime scene type tape and pulled out their lounge chairs and began telling each other how great their Brand X cars were. Not a single one was a track car nor did they ever get "on-track". They were more interested in showing everyone just how good their cars were and just how good they were, instead all they did was cause hard feeling with everyone around for the whole weekend!!!!!!!!!! When asked to move, they about had a fit and refused as they said they were entiitled to "their" spot...... Biggest bunch of a$$holes I ever saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I heard about this one from several fellow "Club Cranky" members who were at this very same event, makes me sad to say I used to own one of those "brand X" cars.........

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 07-06-2009, 02:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Dave,

Sorry, for your experiences. The real losers are those who hold so much anger that it takes over their lives. Cobras are a magnet for extreme opinions, I'm afraid.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
I heard about this one from several fellow "Club Cranky" members who were at this very same event, makes me sad to say I used to own one of those "brand X" cars.........

Bill S.
Know what you mean Bill............

Quote:
Dave,

Sorry, for your experiences. The real losers are those who hold so much anger that it takes over their lives. Cobras are a magnet for extreme opinions, I'm afraid.
Today 09:51 PM
Nothing to be sorry over, just the way things are. I've helped a buddy build a Shell Valley and presently helping another buddy do his FFR and years ago helped a buddy install the motor/trans in his Superformance........ I like them all, more than I can say for SOME owners.........

David
Old 07-06-2009, 03:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SOLD: 2013 Boss 302 Mustang #2775 (both options). SOLD: 95 Mustang Cobra R #4 of 250 "Rosie's Diner" car. SOLD: CCX2-2505, #5 of 7 289 FIAs ever produced at Contemporary! my first Cobra: Unique 427SC w/ 428CJ moder!
Not Ranked     
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post

Bill S.
......you know, I had a reply all ready to post about this.....and its just not worth the energy to remember it. That really was sad that that was allowed to occur.

Aw hell, the BBQ we had that night made up for it....Right David????

Old 07-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by John McMahon View Post
......you know, I had a reply all ready to post about this.....and its just not worth the energy to remember it. That really was sad that that was allowed to occur.

Aw hell, the BBQ we had that night made up for it....Right David????

Dats rite, Johnny...........

One more and that's all, I promise, saved the best for last..........

It was about 7 or 8 years ago and I was just getting into road racing/open track and wanted to get my comp license to race at our local road course,one requirement was a certain amount of track time and I was about half thru that part, so I was always eager for track time to fill that requirement.
Well, a group of owners (Brand X no less,AGAIN) booked a 2 day excursion to the track and as it turned out didn't have the turnout they expected,so they were looking for other track guys to help defray the total cost. The track manager/instructor told them of me and a few others that may be interested and we were contacted and I jumped at the chance.I could only go the second day and did.Was eager to get more track time,especially with a group of Cobras!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I loaded up my car on my 10 year old 16' open trailer,hooked to my 7 year old Ford 4x4, loaded down with a spare set of tires,tools,floor jack, homemade portable gas powered air compressor and headed out real early that morning for the 2 1/2 hour drive to the track. I looked like the opening scene of the Beverly Hillbillies!!!!!!!!!!!!!The track was to go green around 8:30 am so I had to get there,get unloaded and thru tech and the drivers meeting by then.

I drive up around 7:15am and I see a row (probably 7 or 8,maybe more) of very large diesel Trailways type motorhomes, all with almost as large enclosed trailers hooked to them. Some had their trailers painted/striped to match the motorhome, one had a lifesize painting of his car on the sides of the trailer, canopys set-up for the cars and driver's suits hanging from the canopys on hangers still in the plastic wrap from the dry cleaners!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm thinking, "what have I got myself into this time"???????????
Well, I've come this far, so I'll just start last and run last and get my track time in...
As I drive in, I decide to park next to the last large motorhome set-up thinking I'll be in his shade for a few hours anyway. Bout that time, a guy comes out the motorhome, you know the type, bermuda shorts,sandals,no shirt,30 pounds overweight,big gold watch on his wrist,bigger Cuban cigar hangin from his mouth, I say "Good Morning" as he looks at me like I owe him money and I stop on the side... He says: "Ya ain't parking that thing there are ya"???? I said: "If you don't mind,I'd like to,to get some shade"...He says: "Ya didn't understand me BOY, I ain't asking, I'm telling ya, ya ain't parking that thing next to me"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! "Ya can go over there by the bathrooms, there's a lotta room there".......

So I creep over to the other side of the parking area,other side of the tracks if you will, and stop next to the bathrooms where he told me to park. I sat in my truck for a few minutes debating on what to do, I looked at my watch and thought if I leave now,I could be home before 10:00am and at least get some yard work done.Screw it, I'm here and I'm gonna get on the track,so I begin to unload making as much racket and noise as possible hoping to wake the dead...

I find the manager and go thru tech and the little drivers meeting and get ready to go on track. There were about 10 to 12 Cobras, my 65 Mustang,an old tired 911 with 174,000+ miles that looked like it had a 2 stroke motor in it when on track, but ran fast,handled very well, and had a really nice guy driving it and maybe one or two other cars, really don't remember.....

I only knew one guy there with a Cobra,so I politely introduced myself to the others and thanked them for letting me be there... 3 or 4 were really nice, the other 7 or 8 were total a$$wipes..

Well, we get on track and I start last each session and run a good,comfortable pace, not overdriving, just getting seat time. I notice by the end of the session I'm on some of these car's rear bumper and I'm thinking they all got at least 100 hp more than me,most 175 hp more,wide sticky race tires, gaint brakes, these cars should be lapping a fully street legal,street driven 3200 pound 65 Mustang in 5 or 6 laps,but it ain't nowhere close to that!!!!!!!

Late morning I go and ask these 2 ladies that were timing laps if it were possible, could they time a few of my laps the next session out, they said sure, but we've been timing you since the begining, here's your lap times....Wow, I couldn't believe it, so I asked them why would they time me and not those shiny Cobras??? I won't repeat their answer!!!! One was the 911 guy's wife and the other lady was with them, seems they liked these guys as much as I did. So later on I talk the the 911 guy and he had followed me around one session and offered me some tips and told me to follow him out next time, he said I ran a good line cept in 2 turns and he thought I could pick up some time by changing my line in those 2 turns, well, he was right,and I did pick up some time....

Well, now it's early afternoon and they have a little informal meeting and decide to have a "short race" which we ain't supposed to do. So everybody goes along including me and I told them I would start last as to not get in anybodies way and cause any problems.

Car is cooled down as well as the tires and brakes and I figure I'll just take it easy and have fun. I think there were 11 cars including me. We take the green flag a couple of turns before the front straight and I stay with the pack and when we hit the front straight I stand on the gas and pass 3 cars before turn one,WOW, what the hell is happening here, one guy was the Cigar guy and I just couldn't help myself, I had to let him know he was # 1 in my book as I blew by him.....

I'm driving good and the car is running good and handling well and I'm running 3rd within a few laps,#2 car has a 500hp stroker motor,race slicks, big Wilwoods on all four corners and a good driver, I can see him but can't close up on him,after all, I've got 325hp on a good day, old Hoosier bias ply tires,Auto Zone rebuilt calipers and stock brake pads and a 3200 pound car...1st place car is a road race car that has competed in many races with a seasoned driver and nobody can touch him.........

After that session I head to my trailer to load up and head home and the 911 guy comes to talk to me and tell me thanks for putting on a good showing that session...........That made my day and I headed home...........

David
Old 07-06-2009, 04:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everette Morrison HP 396
Not Ranked     
Default Bad attitude

Wow, been to plenty car shows in the Bay Area and always had positive experiences from all car owner...too bad you had such a negative group of experiences relative to any type of car at car gatherings...bummer dude...
Old 07-06-2009, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

Geez David, I didn't realize Evan got around that much and had repainted his car so often, and actually had a posse.
Old 07-06-2009, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
Geez David, I didn't realize Evan got around that much and had repainted his car so often, and actually had a posse.
Good one Jamo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! made me laugh out loud!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Wow, been to plenty car shows in the Bay Area and always had positive experiences from all car owner...too bad you had such a negative group of experiences relative to any type of car at car gatherings...bummer dude...
The sad part is these guys are the ones missing out,not me,I like all Cobras,real and replica, brand/maufacter makes no difference to me.....
For the record, I'd guess the percentage of "bad guys" is pretty low compared to all the guys,like that in any walk of life.....

I've had a lot of fun and made a lot of friends thru the cars, just some folks don't seem to understand what it's all about... You have that in any car club,car type.....their loss not mine, I just find the real car guys and hang out with them and enjoy the cars for what they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 07-06-2009, 05:01 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

I really never go to shows anymore, unless it revolves around the rolex type shows they have at Limerock. But I have never met anyone like you have David. That sucks. Are you sure you dont give anyone attitude first and you dont realize it? The guy that asked you to park by the bathrooms deserved a smack in the chops. How did you restrain yourself. I have had my car for over 6 years now and I have never had a problem with a fellow cobra owner..ever. Other morons......sometimes. And it almost always revolves around someone pressing me on how much I paid for the car. I cant say how much I cant stand that. So the past 3 or 4 years, I just drive. I dont park and talk anymore.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

You know, maybe it's just the way I am, but when some [deleted by Jamo] (and that's what they are, so real damn sorry if that offends anyone...if it does, let me know and I'll ban myself for a moment or two) tries to be a stiff about his Cobra or knocks someone elses around me, I tend to engage them face to face...and I don't give a good golly damn what [deleted by Jamo] pedigree they think they have.

One by one, the [deleted by Jamo] need to be hunted down.

Last edited by Jamo; 11-13-2010 at 07:06 PM.. Reason: Site filter failed to work
Old 07-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamo View Post
You know, maybe it's just the way I am, but when some [deleted by Jamo] (and that's what they are, so real damn sorry if that offends anyone...if it does, let me know and I'll ban myself for a moment or two) tries to be a stiff about his Cobra or knocks someone elses around me, I tend to engage them face to face...and I don't give a good golly damn what [deleted by Jamo] pedigree they think they have.

One by one, the [deleted by Jamo] need to be hunted down.
Lawyer, judge, jury, executioner and sommelier...a well-rounded guy (no pun intended, well, maybe).

Last edited by Jamo; 11-13-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Old 07-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRooster View Post
I really never go to shows anymore, unless it revolves around the rolex type shows they have at Limerock. But I have never met anyone like you have David. That sucks. Are you sure you dont give anyone attitude first and you dont realize it? The guy that asked you to park by the bathrooms deserved a smack in the chops. How did you restrain yourself. I have had my car for over 6 years now and I have never had a problem with a fellow cobra owner..ever. Other morons......sometimes. And it almost always revolves around someone pressing me on how much I paid for the car. I cant say how much I cant stand that. So the past 3 or 4 years, I just drive. I dont park and talk anymore.
Dane;

Actually the bad ones are in the minority.. These things have happened over the last 15 years......so it's not that bad.....

Actually when meeting a Cobra owner or ANY car owner at any event,be it car show,cruise nite or race track, my standard procedure is to introduce myself while complimenting the car. Goes something like this: Hi, my name is David Gagnard, I really like you paint colors......or, My name is David Gagnard, I really like your car, mind if I look at it a little closer????? I ALWAYS introduce myself and say something nice about the car,heck, I like the car, that's why I'm looking at it,so it's easy to say something nice about something you like..

I have never ever said anything that could be remotely thought of as derogatory about anyone's car, regardless of car type. If I don't like a particular car, I just stay away from it, plain and simple. But I like all cars from the lowly VW on up to 2000/3000 series Cobras.....

One more little story,will let all know how I feel about any car.. We had 2 Old Car clubs get together for a picnic one summer day a few years ago, probably 40 or more cars and 60 to 70 folks.... Most every car type you can imagine. Well, one car club brought 3 little trophys and asked one guy (older bodyman all his life and great car guy) to look over the cars and award the 3 trophys. He said: NO CAN DO.......they thought he was being an a$$hole and told him so.

This is what he said in return:
You don't have enough trophys, you see, you need one for every car here..There are ALL WINNERS in their own rite and in my book.....

Then he points to a perfect/dropdead georgous black 57 T-Bird,says that guy wrote a check for the car and bought a perfect 100 point car and he's damn proud of it and should be,he's got a perfect 100 point car.It's a winner anywhere/anytime.

Then he points to a little late 60's VW bug, about half in primer and the fenders and door on one side are all different colors, it's been in the process of being restored by it's owner in his driveway for the last year or so. He's done every bit of work on it all by himself as his budget will allow and it'll probably take him another year to finish it, you think he not's proud of what he's accomplished so far???????? He's a WINNER IN MY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

At that, everyone became real quite and realised the old car guy was right and had the right attitude about cars and their owners, I always felt the same way he has.......

David
Old 07-06-2009, 06:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR 427 S/C, 351W, 5 Sp & KMP142 - 427 SO, 4 Spd
Not Ranked     

"Then he points to a perfect/dropdead georgous black 57 T-Bird,says that guy wrote a check for the car and bought a perfect 100 point car and he's damn proud of it and should be,he's got a perfect 100 point car.It's a winner anywhere/anytime.

Then he points to a little late 60's VW bug, about half in primer and the fenders and door on one side are all different colors, it's been in the process of being restored by it's owner in his driveway for the last year or so. He's done every bit of work on it all by himself as his budget will allow and it'll probably take him another year to finish it, you think he not's proud of what he's accomplished so far???????? He's a WINNER IN MY BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

David - that is the heart and soul of this addiction/hobby. Now if some of those guys with the
attitudes could pull their heads out of their dark spots what a better place this would be!
Old 07-06-2009, 07:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF #623 460/4x2
Not Ranked     

This is a good thread. Hopefully someone is reading it and finally waking up.
Old 07-06-2009, 07:16 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote][David - that is the heart and soul of this addiction/hobby. Now if some of those guys with the
attitudes could pull their heads out of their dark spots what a better place this would be!
/QUOTE]

Flip:
zacctly and for the record, for every horry story I can tell, I can tell 10 or 15 GREAT stories with happy endings.

But the title was about being "dissed" by fellow Cobra owners!!!!!!!

Maybe another thread should be started about heart warming great stories!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

David
Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 545 stroker
Not Ranked     

I've always had the pleasure of meeting some really nice people and haven't had any run-ins with a**hole Cobra owners but I have had a few Corvette owners look down their nose at me. Dave? Man... I don't know what to say....that's some crap there but I can see where you're coming from.

There are some really nice Cobras out there and mine pales in comparison but you know what? I'm proud of it. Why? Because I built it with my own blood sweat and tears over the course of two years and no one, especially the guys who just drop a load of cash, can truly appreciate the sense of accomplishment and personal pride that comes with doing something of such magnitude by yourself.

I built my car as a poor electrical draftsman making $12 dollars an hour. I saved money, bought part, repeat until it was done and it was worth it. I suppose that's what keeps me humble and that's why I'm like you when I go to car shows, I'm truly interested in the work people have done because I know what that car means to them and how much of themselves they've put into it.

That guy who told you to "get away from his car" is just a jacka** and in my opinion doesn't deserve a Cobra. For me a Cobra is the working mans sportscar. If you wanna be the burmuda short wearing jerk...buy a Corvette....you'll fit right in. Sorry to any Corvette owners here... I'm not talking about you..lol
Old 11-11-2010, 01:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

David G: You're too nice. The puke that asked you to park next to the bathroom? I would have told him HE could move HIS rig---after I told him that the cigar he was sucking on with his mouth looked like a big, well, you know...

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 11-11-2010, 01:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfastrnu2 View Post
There are some really nice Cobras out there and mine pales in comparison but you know what? I'm proud of it. Why? Because I built it with my own blood sweat and tears over the course of two years and no one, especially the guys who just drop a load of cash, can truly appreciate the sense of accomplishment and personal pride that comes with doing something of such magnitude by yourself.
There's nothing like a fellow Cobra owner snubbing another Cobra owner on a thread about Cobra owners snubbing other Cobra owners .
Old 11-11-2010, 01:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B, FR302
Not Ranked     

This thread really reminds me of an experience of mine this past show season. I entered the Cobra in the Domestic Two Seater Class. Ended up being eight Corvettes and my Cobra. I had many compliments on the Cobra and there were several gorgeous Vetts there. The Cobra received first in class. As I was walking up to get the trophy I overheard one of the vett owners telling another one “It’s just a replica” Anyway enjoyed the show and met some really nice Vett owners.

And yes everyone one of them asked if I built it. I said no, I bought just like you did!

Roger