Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Pinched from the Oz Clubbies Site - meeting yesterday at the RTA about the new Certification Scheme. Post by an engineer who attended:
Quote:
G'day guys,

After a long day of trains and driving, I've got some information for you all on the new engineering signatories scheme for NSW.

First of all, go here:

http://www.rta.nsw.g...sccs/index.html

this is information from the RTA now in the public domain about how to become a licensed inspector. There are some changes, and for ICV engineers, it's going to be a little tougher than before, but not much.

The main thing the RTA mentioned was their commitment to safety, and that they expect others to meet NSW's standards, not drop their standards to those of the other states. Unfortunately this feels to me that they will be stricter than before. the other interesting number I got was that NSW RTA deal with 6,000+ modifications a year, and apparently (this is their number, not mine) WA has only 18. of these 18, 6 were involved in serious accidents. sounds a little implausible, but that's what was mentioned.

Back to the ICV engineer issue. If you download the application form from the website, you can see it is split into 5 categories - bikes, cars, omnibuses, etc, and each of these has sub-categories, such as engine, brakes, to a total of 7 sub categories. One sub category is 'whole vehicle', and another is 'import vehicle', so to get either of these, you must have the complete 'set' of the 5 beforehand.

For those in NSW who have an engineer on the old scheme, he can still operate as he is at the moment until the end of this financial year; after that, all engineers must be on the new system, all cars must be approved on the new system. check with your engineer to see if they will be on the new system and that they will be applying for 'IC' (whole vehicle) in Passenger Vehicles.

Another minor shake-up is that the certification number will be linked to RTA and police computers; the whole report will be included, and we as signatories will be encouraged to include photographs etc so that they can see at a glance that the car present matches the modified car in the report. This is to stop (for example) me certifying you with a seat modification, then you deciding you want a different seat to the modified one, and changing it again. There's still a certificate saying 'seat change' but it doesn't identify the seat. Now with access to the report roadside, they can prove that modifications are uncertified. This si more of an enforcement thing, but it will also mean that the reports are easily accessible - it may help when it comes to buying one.

The other thing is that they will be publishing a list of what is required to prove that something meets the expectations of the ADR's i.e. 'what do you need to do to pass ADR-XX?' sheets, so that they can standardise the submitted information. This seems like the most interesting thing that I gathered from the meeting, and will help a lot.

Right, I have to get to work and fill in application forms, and dust of my CV to show the areas I'm applying for...

Treeve
Old 12-15-2010, 03:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Remind me not to move to NSW, the home of red tape. With States doing their own thing George and his gang Will never get their ICV scheme off the drawing board.

The whole country will eventually disappear up it's own administrative hole.

Good luck.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

I Actually see this as a good thing.

It means that all these rumours about the RTA trying to clean up the list and get rid of dodgy engineers will be put to bed. All engineers on the list will have been freshly reviewed and the RTA will have a level of confidence.

Currently i have a feeling that instead of kicking engineers off the list the RTA are just preventing their work from being approved. We are caught in the middle.

I expect that what will happen now is the RTA will try to find things wrong with the engineers application to be on the new list as apposed to our cars.

Also discussed in that meeting was publishing what evidence they will accept to satisfy ADRs. Recently the RTA sent out a letter to people that were included on one of the engineers mailing lists outlining what current ADRs are exempt and how they can be demonstrated. There was also a new brake testing procedure SIB 03 resleased. In the cover letter for the new brake testing procedure there was mention of them working on a revised version of VSB14 soon to be released. If this occurs there will finaly be a clear guideline that NSW builders can follow knowing they will build a safe car that passes registration.

No Clubbies or cobras that i am aware of have passed RTA inspection since the beginning of this year. This new revision has been in planning for some time and i suspect they are wanting it up and running before anymore cars are passed.

Just my opinion.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:54 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

It is a sad thing for the guys and gals who built cars and 2010 was the year they wanted to get compliance, but atleast now there might be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:29 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

It is hard to see how, "No Clubbies or cobras ... have passed RTA inspection since the beginning of this year" has in any way improved the safety of cars or drivers in NSW. So many builders and engineers have followed the rules that were existing, and all were rejected.

This is a condemning statistic for the effectiveness of the NSW RTA and is a massive waste of public and private expenditure. There is no rationale where this can be seen as a useful or facilitative process.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-15-2010, 08:48 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR Mk4 Roadster, LS3, TR6060, 8 3/4"
Not Ranked     

Don't you guys have an election coming up soon? Somehow you need to get this on the table .....
Old 12-15-2010, 09:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

[quote=Merv and Sharon;1096549]It is hard to see how, "No Clubbies or cobras ... have passed RTA inspection since the beginning of this year" has in any way improved the safety of cars or drivers in NSW. So many builders and engineers have followed the rules that were existing, and all were rejected.QUOTE]

Im not saying it has.

Quote:
Don't you guys have an election coming up soon? Somehow you need to get this on the table .....
Yes we do and i am hoping that the new transport minister is a bit more helpful. He has already supported rejection of changes to modification rules.

The problem is that there is a very small number of ICVs that present for registration each year in NSW (like under 10!).
Old 12-15-2010, 10:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Evans kit, 6 litre, 6 speed, Jag F/R,
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethrow View Post
You mean the wench is going already?

If there are clear and concise guidelines and a levelled playing field comes from all this then good.

I also feel for those that have done everything right and been denied timely servicing through conspired inaction.

"NSW RTA deal with 6,000+ modifications a year, and apparently (this is their number, not mine) WA has only 18. of these 18, 6 were involved in serious accidents. sounds a little implausible"

Holy Batsh*t, a whopping 33% involved in serious accidents. Did they T bone or get T boned? Did the fault lay with the vehicle? engineering? or steering wheel attendent?
Now NSW must have a way better record, 6000 mods, they must have some idea. So,,,,, was it 20% or 10% of NSW modified vehicles invovled in serious accidents. Even if it is as low as 10% (way better than WA) that's still 600 vehicles bent and a few peoples.

Sounds like one for mythbusters to checkout.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Pinched from the Oz Clubbies Site - meeting yesterday at the RTA about the new Certification Scheme. Post by an engineer who attended:
Andrew,

Can you verify that RTA web site please. It wouldn't connect on the one that you posted :- www.rta.nsw.gov.sccs/index.html

Baz
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison # 80; Ford 5.0L HO Trickflow heads, cam and rockers and MassFlow EFI
Send a message via Skype™ to Merv and Sharon
Not Ranked     

Sorry Liam I was wasn't suggesting that you did. I was saying that the NSW RTA is not an example that any government department would want to be.

Ford Cobra
Harrison #80.
Peregian Beach
Sunshine Coast Qld.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registrati...ccs/index.html
Old 12-16-2010, 12:49 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outwest34au View Post
You mean the wench is going already?

If there are clear and concise guidelines and a levelled playing field comes from all this then good.

I also feel for those that have done everything right and been denied timely servicing through conspired inaction.

"NSW RTA deal with 6,000+ modifications a year, and apparently (this is their number, not mine) WA has only 18. of these 18, 6 were involved in serious accidents. sounds a little implausible"

Holy Batsh*t, a whopping 33% involved in serious accidents. Did they T bone or get T boned? Did the fault lay with the vehicle? engineering? or steering wheel attendent?
Now NSW must have a way better record, 6000 mods, they must have some idea. So,,,,, was it 20% or 10% of NSW modified vehicles invovled in serious accidents. Even if it is as low as 10% (way better than WA) that's still 600 vehicles bent and a few peoples.

Sounds like one for mythbusters to checkout.
I think the big problem is with grey imports...they make the RTA cringe. Then there's the 'Street Machine' mob. There are a lot of dedicated builders that perform perfect modifications BUT there are too many yobs doing mods to cars that just pass and their crap gets passed then they go and make it worse AFTER the engineer has signed off. This is what the RTA finds at the accident.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC with 6 litre 307KW LS2, Comp Cam, 348rwhp & 532.5 ftlb of torque with 6L80E Tiptronic Transmission
Not Ranked     

Thanks Liam

Baz