Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
March 2024
S M T W T F S
          1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 02:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3514, LS3, Dual Quads, Holley Dominator EFI, TR6060, VE 3.7 LSD, AP Racing Brakes, 17x8 & 10 Custom Dragway Billet Wheels.
Not Ranked     

Turnips,
Its great to have new blood in the Cobra fraternity, but to be honest if your not an enthusiast and you don't have the skills or will to over come some of the challenges, then a Cobra Kit is probably not for you.
They aren't production cars and as such have little idiocies that an enthusiast will find a challenge and those that aren't will loose interest in. I think ultimately you would be wasting your money.
I liked Ben's idea for you, buy a built up car, Strip, Refurbish, put it back together, put your own mark on it.
A 60's Mustang or Camaro route is probably a safe way to go if you loose interest or motivation on the way, someone will always take it off your hands.
Dave
leroy17 likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 04:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Turnips,
The way I read this is you really have no idea of what a Cobra is, or you're someone else trying to start a controversial post.
I would suggest you do two things first:-
Buy a book on cobras and their history, then
Buy a plastic model and build it first so you can see what a cobra looks like in 3 dimensions.
All of your requirements are found in a cobra.
"My car requirements are as follows (I'll go into a bit more detail later)":
- daily driver -
no problems, just go to the gym to develop leg muscles for the stop go in peak hour traffic - or get an automatic?
- (relatively) comfortable -
depends on how much natural padding you have and how big your feet are.
- roof-
optional , but why get a convertible if you want a roof- wear a rain coat, the car wont rust.
- a/c-
all cobra's fitted with natural a/c - got to save the ozone layer.
- abs/traction control (preferable but not req)-
should be inbuilt in the driver already- practice will prevent loss of traction and brake lock ups.
- windows that work (if fitted)-
the windscreen does the job of stopping bugs hitting you in the face- so it's a working window.
- boot space enough for weekend trips-
pack lightly - leave room for the partners luggage/ or cases of wine you collect.
- not an old man's car/penis extension/overtly showy (like say the corvette stingray is)-
bit confusing - does this mean old men require penis extensions? I'm confused as I am 62 and my other car is a Holden Barina??????
- decent resale (not that I plan on selling it but circumstances change and it's always best to have something that sells for more if you have to)-
if it's well built and looked after then it will increase in value.
- Cheap (obviously :P)
If you find one let me know.
- easy to build-
Enrol yourself in TAFE in automotive mechanical course, spend a couple of thousand on tools- move all your cars out of the garage, say good bye to your spare time ( and probably family), find a good engineer and start priming him now, and if you live in NSW - give up now while you're ahead and buy one already registered.
Whatever you decide, I wish you luck and hopefully one day you will be able to see why this car is such a desirable one and what a priveledge it is to own one ,whether it is an original or replica.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Is it April the 1st???
Old 02-10-2013, 05:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 347 Stroker Morrison Injection. Registered.
Not Ranked     

Sounds like the April 1st. has come early this year and with a full moon to boot.
I think it's more a case of a Lemon than a Turnip!

Regards.
Old 02-10-2013, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Maker
Send a message via AIM to Bill E Send a message via Yahoo to Bill E
Not Ranked     

Forget the new kit idea find a good deal on a completed car or as close to completed as possible. Get it home and tune it back into a kit Tacking detailed photos as you go, Make the modifications you wont and resemble it. You will come in budget and will be a lot less frustrated . You will need a lot less tools. If this go's well than your next one could be a kit.
GeoMass and Modena like this.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadndave View Post
Buy a plastic model and build it first so you can see what a cobra looks like in 3 dimensions.
Didn't you read his post? He has no tools and no mechanical experience. Maybe we can all pitch in and get him one for his 18th B'day? Bloody whipper snappers...now where is my colostomy bag.......
Old 02-10-2013, 06:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: classic glass FIA289 tribute
Not Ranked     

Don't all cobra kits come in a carboard box with a big fold out set of instructions, 4 rubber tyres and all the parts in flat packs. All he needs is a craft knife and 30 bottles of plastic glue. Don't paint it as unpainted cobras seem to be the go at the moment.
Maybe he can find an originall kit, Shelby produced them through Revell many years ago.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Wow, Just Wow.... o_O

The following was penned by a journalist after driving a Cobra, if you cant live with what is written, best start looking elsewhere.
"There is nothing nice about a Cobra. It is stripped down to the essentials- a big engine, a small car, and four wide tires to keep the whole business on pavement. Its loud, smells like gasoline, and shakes, shudders, and bucks. It makes your arms tired and your feet hot. You nearly crash about once every 10 minutes. Its so damn wonderful that you cant believe it" Automobile Magazine 2004

Ok, that being said, and if your ok with looking at other cars, I have a partial completed DRB 540 that the owner is keen to shift (cannot complete due to family health issues), he is keen to see it shifted and so far has approx $40k in the car.
It is auto, has ABS and Traction control, larger Brembo brakes, stainless brake pipes and stainless flex brake hoses.
The A/C kit has not been bought for it yet, but all donor parts for A/C are there.
Thanks to Bens tip on using Google to search, here is a link to the thread where I was assembling the car. DRB 540 build
DRB also do a roof option as well as wind up windows.

But I think you need to have a good hard look at what your expectations are compared to what is feasable within the real world (and more importantly your proposed budget)

Good luck in your search, let me know if you want more info on this kit in my shed.

Since you dont require a Penis extension, Maybe look at an MX5?
Rog246 likes this.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.

Last edited by boxhead; 02-10-2013 at 07:11 PM..
Old 02-10-2013, 09:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Harrison#97 LS7 / T56
Not Ranked     

Anybody needing more pens.....I've got PLENTY......so I can sell you some of mine......oh...PENIS.....I guess the offer still stands.... Ha ha
Tengu likes this.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If this is a genuine enquiry, I suggest you join your local Cobra club, so you can get a handle on things.
GeoMass and Rog246 like this.

Last edited by puttputt; 02-11-2013 at 06:33 PM..
Old 02-11-2013, 01:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

ok, less useful info now...

yes i know what a cobra is, i've seen them in real life as I said i went up to brisvegas and spoke to harrison and drb. I spoke to the local club about this time last year and was able to look up close and talk to a couple of owners. I even spoke to engineering signatories prior to meeting them and my general thoughts from their replies were confirmed by club members. Apparently the good one is likely to retire shortly.

Yes i don't own tools, I also don't own a garage, these can and will be fixed. I've been looking and ranting about building my own car for the last year and am making good progress to get toward it, by about july/august I should have if all goes to plan, got the garage etc sorted and about 40-50k to start the project. I've even looked at renting out garages in order to start this, however i decided that probably wasn't such a good idea because then you can't work on it whenever you feel like, and if the project takes longer then you still got to pay rent on it. So motivation for the project isn't an issue.

I am aware that 90% of my requirements can be met by a cobra, I can put on a roof, i am able to buy a kit that has abs or air/con options if I desire and budget allows, and there's always the option of a Daytona for the roof/windows thing. I'm also aware that cobras tend to be fairly stable in their resale value and that I'm likely to spend more building it than buying a ready made one. Obviously one should do as much research as possible before embarking upon such a venture, which lets face it, is the reason I came here asking you lot for advice. I'm even planning to go visit shelbyfest to see more of these in the flesh and talk to owners/builders face to face and get as many ideas/feedback as possible. Before embarking on a likely 2-3 year $60-80,000 venture I kind of want to know what I'm getting myself into. So I ask again, why is it not recommended for someone without a mechanical background (although I have had minimal tooling experience in school and have several mates that can help with various things including my grandfather a retired tractor mechanic, which i'm hoping to be able to rope into helping me every so often to get massive advice and spend quality time while i have the chance).

PS did look at getting an MX a year or two back :P
Old 02-11-2013, 02:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC . 393 Dart alloy block Stroked 351 alloy heads ..all the goodies plus a pre oiler. al
Not Ranked     

I have a friend that built a DRB cobra...it is now my second Cobra ( I haven't finished mine yet) He is a meticulous cabinet maker but has no Idea about building / assembling a car. He convinced many people into doing bits for him and the result is obvious..they 'just' did it. He also paid people to do stuff and it cost him a fortune..a lot of that work was poor. I'm now redoing bits and pieces for him. Before you take on a task such as building car; make sure you have the patience and organizational resources to complete such a job. This bloke also built the car before consulting an engineer, then called one. That cost him a fortune. Like I said before talk to a signatory engineer first...they know !
Good luck with your endeavours. Make it work.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CR LS-1 GEN III 5.7L V8
Not Ranked     

Turnips,

Welcome.
Your enthusiasm is admirable, but rest assured the kit makers while great people generally expect you to work a lot of things out for yourself. As a person who has rebuilt and restored many cars in my youth, I can tell you that a Cobra kit build is completely different to a restoration. Its a construction, not a rebuild. It's a completely different skill set and you will quickly discover (as I have) that the best resource to help you is the Cobra community and it's primary vehicle of communication is this very forum.

If you are passionate about it, get along to some local club events in your state, meet some of the people and see the amount of work that has gone into their cars. Even basic non-showy ones, are a very large, long term project. and you simply cannot do it for less than $60K.

It's bloody good fun though and there is nothing more satisfying than they day you drive a car you hand built, yourself. I'm grinning like an idiot just typing that, the memory is so vivid.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Oh and you can check our journey here .
GeoMass likes this.