Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree41Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 12:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Yeah engineer costs are a big one, definately need to ring around and use other cobra builders contacts IMO. I tried to contact 3 engineers here in NSW for a quote, 2 couldn't be bothered getting back to me and one had a good long chat but then quoted costs as "starting at $15k, probably going up to $20K" :O

Meanwhile, Warwick says the bloke he uses not only has great experience with the kits (he did the original chassis testing) but he charges 1.5-2k. He's in QLD, but fortunately I still have a QLD drivers licence, so we used that for the permission to build paperwork - it works out well because I'll end up living back in QLD in a few years anyway.

If you want to see a quarter built Harrison you're quite welcome to drop by my place in Sydney and have a look, I'm more than happy to talk you through some of the processes, pros and cons of the build so far. I do think you'll need to spend a very large sum on tools before you start though.
Old 02-11-2013, 12:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Boss Replica Motors BB 460 by New Generation Engines
Not Ranked     

Well, after reading your want list, You don't really want a kit. Your wants can't be filled by any kit that I kown of. Go buy an factory built Vet. To get your want list in your Cobra, The cost would be way over the price of a "TOP of the line Vet." Besides, you would not like the wet interior when driving in the rain. Nor, would you like to put up with the heat generated when you start pushing the loud pettle. If the vet is not to your liking, go to a BMW series 8 convertable. Their price tag of 160 thousand plus taxes will be less than you would spend to purchase a Cobra with all of your want list fufilled.
justcobra likes this.

Last edited by Mother; 02-11-2013 at 12:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 02-11-2013, 03:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just one more thing......
Warwick Harrison no longer owns 'Cobra Kits'.......
It was sold over Xmas, although Warwick will be completing a number of kits that were already on order...
Maybe you should speak to Craig at Absolute Pace about an 'assembly kit'.
leroy17 likes this.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Rat Rod Racer, LS1 & T56
Not Ranked     

Mate, don't let us discourage you. if you are patient and determined you will get there. You will need to set some realistic expectations of what you want.

I had some mechanical exparience when I started the project. I was a fair welder and could turn spanners pretty good but I've learned so much through the process that I'm now a quantum leap from where I started.

If you put your mind to learning the skills and invest in some tools and a space to work then those things will help you the rest of your days.

The level of support from the clubs and forum is terrific. I've made a bunch of good friends from messing with these cars and you can't put a value on that.

The Ausse kit manufacturers have come a long way in recent years. The quality has really stepped up. Of all the manufacturers I reckon you should seriously talk to Absolute Pace. Craig has brought a new level of professionalism to the industry. You cant go to far wrong with a Classic Revival, DRB or Harrison either. But I reckon Craig is working towards a more complete kit package like they do in the US.

Cheers

Old 02-11-2013, 05:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival #3199. 366ci L76, T56 6 speed, Blue circle custom paint, Australias most original cobra 2009-2010
Not Ranked     

Has Pace actually started delivering their 427 kit? They announced their 427 at the nats in 2011, and I still havent seen or heard of any kits being delivered or a completed car? Would love an update...Craig?
Old 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Turnip, go buy a body and chassis kit, that means your initial cost is low, and then you can build it as you want (subject to regulations) and as funds allow.

I recently did that, got my kit from G Force in WA, and I am only starting the journey.

I did the same with my 7 m fishing boat, bought a hull, and slowly built it up to be an awesome boat with a 300hp motor, I knew very little about boats when I started !
Old 02-11-2013, 06:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenrocca View Post
Has Pace actually started delivering their 427 kit? They announced their 427 at the nats in 2011, and I still havent seen or heard of any kits being delivered or a completed car? Would love an update...Craig?
He had a body at the Nats and I saw the first chassis (prototype) over a month ago...... Craig is quite busy, they are in the process of moving to larger premises so they can run the business from one location. He is also developing the exo skeleton LS powered beast which will be an absolute rocket ship. Aerial Atom with an LS7....... Maybe Craig will chime in with a comment later.
Old 02-11-2013, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Arntz, TKO600, 460
Not Ranked     

I was at Pace yesterday and got a mini tour. As mentioned above they have just relocated workshops so it is all in one location now. There is an alloy body in the polishing room, a glass body in red gelcoat that with a little polish would be right without any paint, an alloy chassis plus many many other bits and pieces.
Once they are set up it will the professional operation that will be a one stop shop. I wish I was in the position to have one built now as this is where I would be going.
Also, they are a great bunch of guys who I would say will be geting busier.
Old 02-11-2013, 10:08 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

"A" for wanting to learn.
By all means have a crack, but wind up windoes is going to be a very difficult (read expensive) item to fit.

ABS brakes can be retrofitted to any car, so that should not limit which kit to go for.
If you buy a roller, you are most likely going to dis assemble it anyway, so upto you which way you go there.

See you at ShelbyFest.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys, I realise my list of wants is excessive, kind of like my wants in a house, or a job or anything else. Realistically they wont all happen, and definitely not initially, but as boxhead just said, if I'm building it then I can fiddle with it, put in a big bling stereo if I want etc. If i went cobra route winding windows wouldn't be so much of a concern for me as if i went daytona, but as this is a want it'd likely happen way down the track. The biggest want is to have the experience in building something i'll love and value, and hopefully use lots, which is part of the reason why i want it to be more like a "normal" car, so then i can actually use it as one. It may be very nice and professional to turn up to meetings in a flash car, it's not very professional to turn up to meetings drenched from the rain because you forgot the roof, that being said tho, never bothered me when I had my bike. And yeah I'm expecting to have to fork out like 5k for tools, hell i'll be buying a damn house with a double garage just so i got a place to do this project so if i'm spending 400k plus there what's another few grand right? Most expensive car I'll ever own! :P
Old 02-12-2013, 02:48 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Revival CR3516, LS3, Aussie Mike'd T-56, 3.70 LSD, AP brakes, Penske shocks
Not Ranked     

I spent 50K on extending my large double garage by 3 meters and simultaneously redoing my outdoor patio/pergola area. Mainly in the name of being able to build the Cobra while still parking both daily drivers in the garage. The 3 meters filled in what was dead space anyway.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:51 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Pace 427SC. LSA Supercharged with 6sp TR-6060 trans.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Pace is where I spent my money and invested my confidence in.

Craig has been eminently helpful and everything he's doing has been top-shelf. From what I understand, the chassis is currently the only aluminium one offered by any Australian Cobra manufacturer and the body is so beautiful and straight it is to die for. Plus, dimensionally it replicates an original 427SC in that it will be wider/bigger than the other kits currently on offer. The rear fenders will sit over the tyres yet still allowing for legal ground clearance, so there'll be none of that 'jacked-up' look you see from some kits. That gels big time with me.

My car is #003 and is currently under construction. I don't have an ETA on completion yet but I'd like to think it will be fairly soon. I'm very excited....almost as excited as yesterday when my wife gave birth to a 4.8kg baby boy! We named him Jackson.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

As previously mentioned my aim is to be in a position where i can order a kit in july/august, allowing 3 months for manufacture it should be in my garage able to work just in time for xmas/new year holiday period when i get a couple of weeks off work. This gives me 3-4 months to do all my research, read some books (anyone able to recommend a few?) talk to the local boys, meet people at shelbyfest etc.

Also, i want to get anally retentive about this and make schedules for when i plan to have things done by, and also about build budget before going into it to so to have a better idea on costs, where i can skimp if need be etc. Both of these should aid in getting the car done quickly and cheaply. If anyone's taken an inventory of exactly how long it took to do and how much it cost to do that'd be most useful, and something I plan on doing, should help keep budget and schedule in check (i hope).

If you're going to do it, don't impose schedules for completion - you should go in with the attitude that it's going to take as long as it takes. Particularly for a guy who holds a day job. Not hitting schedules you've imposed on yourself will put you in a position of cutting corners if you are truly "anal" about it. Same goes with cost, what you have down on paper will never = actual cost when all is said and done. If you're real good at forecasting project costs, you'll probably be ~20% over budget, be happy with that. Buying 2nd rate components or "skimping" to hit your budget is not the way to go. My recommendation is cost out all components and 3rd party help, then multiply that by 1.5 - that should be your budget.
Old 02-12-2013, 07:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paintwerks View Post
Pace is where I spent my money and invested my confidence in.

Craig has been eminently helpful and everything he's doing has been top-shelf. From what I understand, the chassis is currently the only aluminium one offered by any Australian Cobra manufacturer and the body is so beautiful and straight it is to die for. Plus, dimensionally it replicates an original 427SC in that it will be wider/bigger than the other kits currently on offer. The rear fenders will sit over the tyres yet still allowing for legal ground clearance, so there'll be none of that 'jacked-up' look you see from some kits. That gels big time with me.

My car is #003 and is currently under construction. I don't have an ETA on completion yet but I'd like to think it will be fairly soon. I'm very excited....almost as excited as yesterday when my wife gave birth to a 4.8kg baby boy! We named him Jackson.
Congratulations on the baby! You wont have time to build the car now...

By Design Motorsport have an aluminium chassis also.
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Theres only good one? I hope thats the one I used (and he finishes the report first!) I better tell him he's retiring.....
I wish I was retiring next year, I'd only be 32!
Old 02-14-2013, 11:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RCM, Jag front and rear, LS3
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeve View Post
I wish I was retiring next year, I'd only be 32!
No Treeve, he said the good one is retiring!
Old 02-15-2013, 03:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Dax
Not Ranked     

That'll cost you Liam!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

how about gardner douglas kit,uk
Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter, HEMI
Not Ranked     

Turnips,
I'm from the U.S.. It has taken me 10 years to build my car. I started collecting parts I knew I wanted to install. When I had most of the parts I ordered a basic kit and did most of the chassis myself. This year I sent it to a shop to have it mechanically finished and to have my work checked. I can prepare the body and paint it, however I cannot fabricate. Everything except for the paint will be done this year. Stay the course ask for help from friends and family. Some work may need to be done by a professional. I have loved this car since I heard Bill Cosby's 200 M.P.H.. That was in the sixties (that's right I'm old) and I, after many thousands of dollars invested will have my dream car. Good Luck to you. George

Last edited by GeoMass; 02-16-2013 at 04:46 AM..
Old 02-16-2013, 06:35 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2117; 331 stroker; TKO600
Not Ranked     

FFR has sold some Brock Coupe kits in the past. Levy Racing in the USA has built some and offered turn key setups. You might investigate getting an FFR Coupe kit, and having it built to an unpainted roller by a local rod shop .. and then personally finishing it to your specs. This would get you a slick car, roof, windows, install AC / radio. I did a few laps on a track with a Superformance Brock Coupe .. really nice ride. Totally different experience than the Cobra. Going in a totally different direction .. for a cool machine .. there is a Turnkey Builder in Tenn., who builds an amazing Porsche Speedster Coupe. Former Ford engineer. Starts with a heavy duty steel chassis .. car is built as a mid engine as F. Porsches original car. Uses Subaru engines and comes with electric windows, modern brakes, AC / Radio. And reasonable pricing.