Absolute Pace

Go Back   Club Cobra > Club Forums > Australian Cobra Club

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2002, 04:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Contemporary CCX3117 427FE
Not Ranked     

Paul, at least get me some alloy based epoxy. I've always wanted an aluminium Cobra!

Why the new front corner..... short answer, or long detailed story? The short answer was that the RMC mounting tab that the upper A-Arm attaches to on the chassis SNAPPED OFF while in 3rd gear going down a dead straight road. I spun past 90 degrees and hit the RHF corner into a light pole. The car then went off the edge of the road and airborne down a 4 foot bank, sideways through a barbed wire fence, then landed back on all four tyres. As the dust was settling, the 40 foot high lightpole had been knocked out of it's brackets and landed on top of the car..... It missed the back of the passenger's head by about 12 inches, and it was bloody heavy. I hate to think about how close we both were to really hurting ourselves. It wasn't the best drive I've ever had.

Rebel - I just hadn't thought about your car. If you were the original buyer, Mike Moylan should have sent you a retro bracket that makes things right. If not, have a close look at how weak the upper bracket is.... I still haven't seen an email. Maybe if you try marsh@gil.com.au Third time lucky!
Old 07-24-2002, 03:31 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default retro bracket

Hi Craig, I bought my kit from a fellow called Conner Craig. He was an agent for RMC before John Brown. Conner had ordered a heap of RMC's to take to the gulf where he was setting up a bisiness selling cobra replicars to the Arabs. Cant remember what went wrong but he was landed with a few excess kits.
I am aware of the top mounting tab. Actually, I found out about it whilst making enquiries about improving handling. Jaime, who used worked for Mike, suggested to extend the tab rearward, drop the front mounting hole level with the rear hole. and both mounting holes rearwards by approx 1/2" to make the upper arm more horizontal. All of this considerably increased caster and made the steering, both heavier and more self centering.
This suggestion was made together with making small spacers to drop the steering rack lower.
When modified like this the top mounting tab had a lot of overhang on the rear portion and many folks didnt put a gussett between the cross member and the now extended tab.
What Happened??? a lot of them broke off
Old 07-25-2002, 06:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel - I'm glad to hear that you know all about it! Connor's own RMC is down at Slacks Creek now, a guy called Tony O'Connor owns it. He runs a Ford engine building business called TOCA Automotive. I bet that there isn't a guy in the country who can get more naturally aspirated horsepower out of an iron headed Clevo than Tony. His own XY Falcon runs 9.2 @ 140+mph. Crane sent a guy out from the States to get some specs for an upcoming full page advert in many US performance car mags.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebush,B2 Windsor 445
Not Ranked     
Smile

Craig, I'm curious at what point did the coyote on the ACME rocket force you off the road,it all sounds like a looney tunes tale!!!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:27 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

OZ - It scared the **** out of me at the time, but it sure makes for an interesting conversation over a quiet beer or two. The guy in the passenger seat was REALLY lucky t get out of it unscathed. Funny thing - about a month later, we had a 351 XY Ford over at this same guys garage to fit a C4 trans. The owner of the car had done most of the work, but wanted a hand to start the motor for the first time. Long story short, after everything was checked the car was started. It ran fine @ 2000rpm, but as soon as the engine was revved up for the first time, the car launched forward with both tyres howling and smashed head-on into a VERY substantial metal framed work bench. The owner of the car had installed a new shifter, and the cable was WAY out of adjustment. It had been in gear all along, but there was seemingly not enough fluid in the trans to engage the gear. A few more revs must have pushed enough fluid through to make the difference and then it all hit the fan!!!
Thousands of dollars damage, and the guy that narrowly survived some serious damage in my Cobra was literally 6 inches away from being wedged between the car and the bench. He would certainly have lost his legs.....

He's gotten away from us twice - third time lucky huh???
Old 07-26-2002, 04:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RMC under re-construction, GenIV with tremec 600, Jag 3.31 L/S diff
Not Ranked     
Default Thats It!!

750HP
Thats it mate!!..Remind me NEVER get into a car with ya, NEVER go to your place or help you with anything at all..

Your a walking disaster area , an accident waiting to happen

ONLY JESTIN!!
Old 07-28-2002, 04:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Rebel - how can you possibly say that I'm bad luck for anyone working on my cars??? Oh, I suppose you should also know about my mechanic.....
I had decided to put my previous Cobra up for sale. I had advertised the car for a price that I considered fair considering all of the quality parts throughout the car. To ensure that the car was worth my asking price, I went through the car from top to toe to make sure everything was spot-on. The 750 Holley had a slight stumble with a quick jab of the throttle, so I set about having a fiddle with the carb. If you knew what I was like with Holleys, you'd understand why the car suddenly felt worse after I'd played with it I called my mechanic to ask him for some advice, then got to work again. After doing what he wanted me to do, I took the car for a test drive. The stumble seemed better. About 300 metres from home, I rolled on the throttle in third gear to see how the transition from primaries to secondaries was, and BANG!!! Stripped the teeth clean off third gear and the cluster gear in the trans!!!!!

I towed the car straight to my mechanic's home (on a Saturday afternoon) and we get to work on it immediately. Someone interested in buying the car wanted to see it in three days time. Obliging and long suffering mechanic doesn't have anywhere near as many tools in his garage as his workshop, but we'll make do.....

Every bolt in the engine bay was a stainless cap screw, including the exhaust collector bolts. These are often tight in the threads at the best of times, but cap screws in the collectors just plain suck. Ian didn't have the sockets that have the allen key inside them at his house. A plain old allen key wouldn't budge the cap screw, so he attached a ring spanner onto the handle of an allen key for better leverage, and the allen key slipped out of the cap screw. It flung directly into his eye with a sound that I heard from the other end of the car. He got up from under the car asking if his eye looked alright, because he couldn't see out of it. How could I tell if it was alright, I couldn't see because there was too much blood in the way

We went straight to the local doctor who told us to go directly to the emergency ward of the PA hospital, where they'd be waiting for us. After spending a week on and off in hospital, 11 different eye tests, 2 operations and biggest bloody migraine he could have imagined possible, the 12 lacerations in his retina started to heal.

He still has problems with his night vision in that eye.......

Are you sure you don't want to come over and help me with my car
Old 07-28-2002, 03:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Are you sure you don't want to come over and help me with my car

750HP ....
I knew it!! You just confirmed my fears
I dunno if I should even answer your posts, maybe this puter will have a " accident"
All this from a fellow RMC owner too..sheezzz !!!