21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        
Old 04-27-2003, 03:57 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Petek and DV

Gentlemen,
Thanks for the reply. I have the frame, sidepipes, electrical harness, foot pedals, gas tank and thats about it from Classic. I have a rolling chassis now, minus engine assembly, headers and sway bars. I do want to get the Body soon. I would much rather give the business to new owners if possible. But I don't want to be left out in the cold either. No matter what, I am not taking a chance with existing ownership. I spoke with Don once several years ago, right after Donnie Vancleave left CR. Don was very nice even though I felt like I was really imposing on him. I am glad to have DV as a resource now also.

One question I have immediately is about headers. I am fearful of using CR's headers, because I am not sure of the diameter, are they mandrel bent? Coated?. I am debating on just running exhaust straight out the back with 1 5/8 tubing, ahc coated and a cross pipe. I've heard this is ideal for my small block, I am really curious to others opinions of this manuver. Can I fit the exhaust below the frame and out the back? Would this devalue the car? Originally I didn't want to use side pipes because of the blueing of the chrome. Also from reading on this site in the last couple days it appears the side-pipes are suffocating the HP. Has anyone ever seen a snake with now sidepipes? Does anyone sell ahc coated 1 5/8's inch sb chevy headers that would allow the use of the side pipes? Maybe I could give some business to DV or Don here? If I do use the pipes, what can I do to prevent blueing? I don't want dull sidepipes so most coatings are out. Any recommendations.
Old 04-28-2003, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Owner, Classic Roadsters II
Not Ranked     

Hawk, please don't feel like you are imposing on me. I apologize if I gave you that impression. I am more than happy to help in any way I can. I just went through a redesign of the sidepipes and used a full flow muffler in them to take care of the HP loss. The headers from Classic are 1 5/8 mandrel bent. Both work very well. They both come plain steel so they need to be coated. I use Jet Hot bright silver and they come out very nice. The coating can be buffed to give a nice finish. This picture will give you an idea of how they look when I get them back. The only problem right now is they don't have any in stock.
Don
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2003, 05:53 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks Don,

Don,
You didn't make me feel like I was imposing, I just felt bad that you returned a phone call and incurred long distance expenses when I wasn't looking to purchase anything. That is why felt horrible.
On a side note, I already have the sidepipes that came with the kit, Is there anything I can do to still use these? Or am I better of to purchase different ones? I though I read somewhere that these have dual 1 inch tubes running down them? The finish did look good on your pipes.

Also is anyone aware of any headers I can use from anywhere besides CR? From a cost standpoint, I can purchase ahc coated headers for $200, or buy plain steel from CR for $500(that was the price back in 1996 when I checked?). Speedway racing out of Lincoln offers a ton of header sizes where you can specify the dimensions. Not sure if anyone has tried this? Or know about any other companies that would work? Or Don, do you or DV sell headers?
Old 04-28-2003, 07:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CRL, 351W, Tremec TKO
Not Ranked     

Hawk,
If you are going to run the exhausts under the frame, you'll probably be better off with some after market block huggin' headers.

I just don't know where the heck you'd run the exhaust pipes under the frame. Along the transmission and over the rear? I just don't know.

Don and DV are experts at CR Cobras, listen to them (not to me )

Who is John Galt?
Old 04-28-2003, 09:06 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Excaliber body, Modified Custom frame
Not Ranked     

Don, I hope this del with CR works out. I worked there until I got all of thier Badlands driveable and not continually broken, then I got laid off. I also worked for another company in fargo doing some R&D work, I hope you didn't take a loss with them. Well enough of the chatter, I still need a windshield and frame and wondered if you may be ordering some in this summer so I can get one from you? Let me know please. I can be contacted via e-mail at leslie.files@ndsu.nodak.edu or by telephone at 307-548-6992. I live in Wyoming now. Thanks for your time and good luck with CR!

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country" JFK
Old 04-29-2003, 07:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Leslie, I can order a windshield at any time. You must have worked for good ol Andy, the king of dumbness! Yes Andy did stick me with about $3500. Live and learn, and better yet find out who your friends really are!

Hawk, The only header that will work to the sidepipe is the one from Classic. I've seen other headers like the shorty style used but the hookup to the sidepipes is really ugly. I will have headers available at some point. The cost will be less than Classic. I've never seen a Classic with under car exhaust.

The sidepipe mufflers can be cut out and replaced with good ones. Any good exhaust shop should be able to do it. Otherwise if you wanted to ship them to me or DV we can take care of it.
Don
Old 04-30-2003, 09:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadster,351w 405HP
Not Ranked     

I received two boxes of parts yesterday from Pete at CR/IMAR.
Although they still owe me some major parts; the list is down to about a page. Hopefully they are, in fact, working on the top and interior as promised.
I will not be finished by june as planned,so I may come to the Fling as a spectator.

Don, What are the 'things' sitting next to the sidepipes? I did receive my pipes and was considering the bright silver ceramic coating. They look great! Thanks for anything that you might have done to spring some parts loose from CR! Very much appreciated.
Charlie Robbins
Old 04-30-2003, 12:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Starwolf, Those are the heatshields I use for the sidepipes. They work great and look pretty good. Here's a picture of them mounted. They run $350. Cost to ceramic coat them is about $50. I have been helping Classic obtain parts. I'm glad they are starting to ship.
Don
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2003, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Send a message via ICQ to meat
Not Ranked     

Once you guys get everything settled, let me know if you need any help with the setup and layout of the assembly manual. I'll volunteer my services to get it up to speed.

(The last CR assembly manual I have for the Classic 427 was purchased about a year or so ago).

Your pal,
Meat.
Old 05-05-2003, 07:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Meat, thanks for the offer. The manual is in serious need of an update. I think the current manual is the same as the original from 1990. Lots of changes since then. We'll keep you informed of the progress.
Don
Old 05-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

the great news is the side pipes did arrive and for once Pete, yes that is right... Pete called me out of the blue to check on finalizing some back ordered items.... you don't think this is what I have been hoping for rather than an appeasement call?

the nice thing is that the box that the pipes came in had a label from a upholsterer, maybe I am reading too much into this, but I am hopfull that things may be on the up and up....

the eternal optimist I guess

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 05-08-2003, 06:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I too have spent a great deal of time with Pete going over back order lists. I did receive two boxes last week . Pete has told me that the interior and the convertable tops are being made. I can only hope that this is true. I even received the MSO two days ago. He seems to have been given the green light by Tom Eide to get things cleaned up. I called Pete yesterday for a update and to ask a few questions;waiting for a call back. I'm down to about a page of missing parts at this point.
Old 05-08-2003, 03:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters 351 Windsor 405 HP
Not Ranked     

Starwolf what did you do to get MSO? I've called ten times and still no MSO!!!
Old 05-08-2003, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

Art,
After much howling that finally turned into grwoling, the MSO problem has been fixed.
Short story- the special coomputer program that generated the MSO's (also checking against other MSO to make sure that given number hadn't already been used) was replaceed/repaired. After months CR's can now legally issue all the "BO" mso's.

I sould think that yours will be showing up soon..
DV
Old 05-08-2003, 05:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Art, call Tom Eide,CEO at IMAR, tell him you want it. Growling seems to help!
Old 05-08-2003, 05:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Professional Cobra & Streetrod Builder
Send a message via AIM to Double Venom
Not Ranked     

I'm not sure that will work, but let me give you the phone number 800-373-900 ext Tom Eides.

DV
Old 05-09-2003, 06:42 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic Roadsters, 351W -> 392
Not Ranked     

how about a home phone number while your at it

HEE HEE

"If you can read this, thank a teacher....and since it's in English, thank a soldier."
Old 05-09-2003, 07:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Tom's out of town this week. Tammy is the one that issues the MSO's. I'll call her today and see if I can help.
Don
Old 05-09-2003, 09:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Classic Headers.

All,
A few questions about classics headers? What shop makes them? Somebody local in fargo? Also what is the Shape? D-port, round? square? I am really stressing about mating headers up with my aluminum heads. I want to be sure to maintain ideal flow. I would love to call the shop myself.
Don, You mentioned having headers available at some point. Any news on that front?
Old 05-09-2003, 09:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

,,and of course the ALL important question:

Will they fit my Excalibur? I NEED headers BAD!

Ernie