Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2003, 04:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC Cobra, 351W 400hp / 400 lbs torque
Not Ranked     

Scott,

Sorry to here that you are involved as well. I got your e-mail and will e-mail the infomation you requested directly. I would be interested to here your situation and story dealing with these guys. Please post any info about what happened that you can.

Jim
Old 10-23-2003, 07:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To All,

Just got off the phone with the Cheif Deputy, again no major updates or changes but the wheels of justice are turning, their just turning sloooooooow. He hopes to have some better news over the next week or two, so I will update this post as soon as I here anything. He did mention that he was contacted by 2 other people this past week and Scott that posted yesterday makes 3 more added to the list in the past week or so.

Scott I e-mailed you the info you ask for but the message did not get sent right away, so if you don't get it please let me know.

Jim
Old 11-05-2003, 12:56 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To all,

Again a no news update. As far as I can tell all offical parties involved are reviewing their information and making final preparations. Still moving slow but moving. I hope to have some info next week after they meet later this week.

On a good note, Dirty Harry dropped by my place this weekend in his nice Shell Valley Cobra. We met through this forum, and as a plus turns out he only lives about 45 minutes from me. I have met some of the nicest people through this forum, if anything, this loss made it possible for me to meet several individuals I otherwise may have never met, that in itself makes it worth it.

Again thanks for the visit Dirty Harry, I really enjoyed meeting you and the ride was GREAT.

Jim
Old 11-27-2003, 05:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates. Ford stroked 460 (to 514) blue/white
Not Ranked     
Unhappy SSDD

I was refered to another builder who was local to me (2 hrs. away). I left a block out of a running car that I tore down and visually inspected. After 1 1/2 years of excuses I made it a habit of visitiing his shop every Thursday (4 hour round trip) and saw that many engines were coming in and leaving and mine sat in the corner. I always came loaded with two questions: "what can I do to make this any better, and how much longer". This guy was an expert in stories - lies as I learned later. He might build a great engine, but he failed miserably with mine! One day (after 3 years now!!!) he shoved my engine block off the work stand onto the concrete floor! He "discovered" a crack in the water jacket in the front pass. side. He said the 460 blocks always do this (anybody have any experience to back this statement? have not seen it on any of the ford postings (nor this site)) Two weeks later I went there, picked up my stuff and left (I could not have done it that day I would have hurt someone). I will gladly share "the rest of the story" of Stan Stayley of Gastonia, NC to anyone interested. I thought I covered my bases - but put way too much money down (mostly to buy heads and other parts - 50% on machine work 50% on completion).
Old 11-29-2003, 03:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hey Guys,
It has been awhile since I have had the time to read the forum, but I was in hopes that I would find out that our famous engine builder was not having a good holiday, but since there is no great news posted I take it that he is still sitting back laughing at us!! Oh well I feel that I have a right to laugh back at him at this point and time, I am able to post some wonderful news.....my hubby is back in business, we now have in our car a brand new engine and transmission and I am enjoying more than ever being able to watch him "tinker" with more than an empty engine compartment...it took time and it took budgeting, but he is having some fun....Thank Goodness! I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season...I know I will.
SDwyer
Old 12-05-2003, 06:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

To all,

Just got off the phone again with the Sheriffs Dept. Again not much to update, they are still waiting on the goverment do finish their end so they can continue with this case. He is going to cantact them next week and try to push them along and get this moving a little faster.

I will continue to update with any iformation that I have.

Jim
Old 01-23-2004, 03:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, just a quick note to let everyone know this saga still continues. I spoke with the Chiel Deputy earlier this week and not much has happened. He is currently waiting on the Goverment to decide what part they want in this case. He says he keeps pushing them so he can get this going again, but it doesn't seem to be on the top of their priority list. Will update next month with some real news I hope.

Jim
Old 02-18-2004, 03:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well its next month and again no real progress.

I did speak with a new gentleman via e-mail who had fallen prey to this scam. He, luckily has access to a company lawyer who is going to file suit against this guy and company.

At this point the Goverment is still setting on this as it has been turned into a federal case now due to the number of people involved from various states as well as the use of the US Mail and things to conduct the scam. The only problem with this is that it is not as high a priority for the federal guys as it would be for the local guys. However I have hope, and have faith that it will all come to a head soon and justice will be served.

Again I want to keep this thread open and going so I can update any information that does develop as well as a place for people to find out information on the situation.

Will update again next month with some good news I hope.

Jim
Old 02-18-2004, 05:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427 SC, Southern Automotive 427W Stroker
Not Ranked     

Jim, did you ever get the car operational?
Old 02-18-2004, 07:24 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Not yet, but getting close.

I have the engine from Engine Factory in, all hoses and wires ran except to the radiator. Suspension is almost complete, waiting on a set of upgraded rear control arms from RUCC. Currently working on the wiring and then the fuel system and I should be ready to get it running to debug.

I hope to have it running this summer and complete the body and interior work later this summer if all goes well we will be painting and fine tuning later this year.

Jim
Old 03-04-2004, 07:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim:
Do you have the IRS from Roger. I haven't heard from him lately and just wondered if you have got the new control arms/

Thanks
Jeff
Old 03-05-2004, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hello all...I just found your website because I was searching for "Kent Helseth's Dragboy" Boy was not surprised to read some of this stuff. Ours has been going on since March 2002!!! Let's get this creep. What can I do? I still have the Cashier's check receipt, and a copy of the Express Mail that I sent with the money for the engine!!
Old 03-05-2004, 02:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique Brand builders
Not Ranked     

So....where is your Ford dealer? Mine is 3 mile from me. I would rather pay $500 more and GET my engine than save$500 and never get it. The Ford racing catalog is worth every penny you think you over spent.
There are some great motor builders out there but most of us are not race car drivers.
We are the general public out tooling around with big bad pipes on a cool car. We don't need a special "look-a-like" motor. We need reliable, dependable drivetrains so we don't look "cool" broken down on the side of the highway waiting for the flatbed tow truck.
For every wallet that wants a snake there are three times as many snake oil salesman.
If you "mail away" for a motor who is going to "warrant" your oil leak, whether its a Valve Cover Gasket or a faulty Main Seal.

SH-- happens...even on new motors. Let a reliable HOME BASED shop build and/or install your motor. In this way you can touch-se-feel what's going on and IF you have an issue you have someone (other than your wallet) accountable.

We independents value our reputations and have been known to fix problems well after a verbal or written warrantable time. Image
pride and reputation are hard earned and easily lost from one disgruntled customer.

High Performance = lower dependabilty...other-wise we would all commute with John Force Funny-cars. Get a reliable EZ compression motor with good cooling and good oil pressure.
Spend less time worrying about who pissed faster than you in the contest.

In closing, forget about the Image of the engine builder unless he builds in your "back yard"! Get a dependable builder at home. Spend more time driving and less down time on your wallet.

Last edited by ColoradoCobras.; 03-05-2004 at 02:51 PM..
Old 03-05-2004, 03:32 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham 427 (KMP 266); CAV GT40
Not Ranked     

Last I heard Ford did not warranty their crates or at least many forum members have had trouble with the warranty.. chuck
Old 03-06-2004, 06:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A & C, 351W, Tremec 3550. Exiled Member: Club Cranky
Send a message via ICQ to Roscoe
Not Ranked     

Engine Factory in NJ has a one year warranty on their short blocks, long blocks and turnkey Cobra Engines.

http://www.fordcobraengines.com/Cobrakitpack.html

Never heard of a problem.

Roscoe
Old 03-08-2004, 04:04 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Shnookie,

Still waiting on the new lower control arms from Roger. He says he will have them to me here shortly.

Jim
Old 03-19-2004, 04:17 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, unfortunately I spoke with another gentleman this week that had been taken in this scam. I had been waiting for over 2 years for something.

Again thanks to Club Cobra he was able to find some information and get some direction, we hooked him up with the Cheif Deputy.

Last conversation with the Cheif Deputy showed little progress but progress still the same. I was informed that a letter will be getting snet out by the Feds who are involved requesting some information for the individuals involved in this case. I expect to see the letter in the next week or so. I hope that means there is finally something going to really happen on this deal.

Jim
Old 04-11-2004, 09:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, I recieved a form from the U.S. Postal Inspection Service saying they are "conducting an official investigation regarding Kent Helseth, doing bussiness as Dragboy Engines or Kent Helseth Performance (KHP) Engines." They want information from anyone who has "conducted a bussiness transaction" with him. It looks as if some progress is being made. I agree with you Jim, progress is very slow! Just wrote this as a heads up for anyone involved with this scam. Thanks, Jim for keeping us informed. Jack
Old 04-12-2004, 04:13 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great Jack, glad to here you got the letter. I was told to be expecting it, but I have not seen one yet. I hope this means some progress is being made.

Jim
Old 04-15-2004, 06:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well I was contacted by 2 more individuals this week who are caught up in this as well. Again thanks to the Club Cobra web site and this forum they were able to get some information and the proper contacts were made, thanks Club Cobra.

It is amazing I spoke with one of these gentleman last night for over an hour comparing stories and activities that happened during this process. Again the stories are similar but different, depending on where you were located the story and location of the truck problems , hospital stays, deaths in the family all varied slightly. After all of this time it still amazes me how good this guy was and how detailed his st up was. ED you you log back on, it was great talking with you, and if you want log in and post some information on your story for everyone else.

Current progress, still waiting!

Jim