Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Exclamation Copied to here on behalf of jlharrity:

jlharrity
Club Cobra Member

Cobra Make & Engine:

Just wanted to let everyone know that we also have fallen prey to KHP Engine scam. I will have my husband put up more info but let it be known that this man is a de frauder and be aware!
P.S. To Doug- If you want to steal someones last name try to spell it correctly! I think you are Kent in disguise! Prove me wrong!

(Copied here to keep all the pertinent info in one location).
Old 09-03-2003, 10:54 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     
Cool Soap Oprah

This thread is like a day-time movie.

SOOOO many first time users. More than I would have expected.

Ernie? Is it raining on the island?

You have a reply in almost all the posts today.

Are you still interested in the PS. I will be out in the barn and can get a measurement on the mounting holes. Pump is 1971ish unit.

Let me know.

Old 09-04-2003, 02:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC Cobra, 351W 400hp / 400 lbs torque
Not Ranked     

jharrity,

I e-mailed you my number, feel free to call.

Jim
Old 09-05-2003, 05:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I was notified today by another gentleman who was caught up in this deal. He had ordered his engine, tranny, and rear end combination in June of 2002. After over a year he is still waiting, and received nothing but excuses. I ask him to post his story on this forum if he gets a chance.

I am going to try and get an estimated count from the Chief Deputy on the number of people who have come forward being caught up in this situation. I know there for awhile he said he was getting 4 to 6 calls a day.

Jim
Old 09-05-2003, 07:19 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quick update,

Talked with the Chief Deputy, and the estimated number of people he has talked to involved in this situation is about 50 to 60 at this time. I know I have talked with over a dozen myself. Most of these people have been involved with KHP or Dragboy for awhile and were waiting on the delivery of their engine. I would assume that there are several who have recently ordered their engine the month or so before this all went down, so they may not even call them back to follow up for another couple of months. I assume these poor guys are still out there all excited about the engine they think they will be getting.

Jim
Old 09-05-2003, 10:56 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Hello Jim,
My name is Leland Smerdel, I’m from Euclid Ohio. I'm in the same shoes you are with KHP. I ordered my engine, tranny, rear end, in November of 2001 when the company was Dragboy and Kent Sr. ran the company. I heard stories of being behind in building the engines because of the heavy work load, and because they would go to the race track often to race their cars. Then there’s a story about Mike ( the Chevy engine builder ) that was building my engine. He had family problems that had to be taken care of, and there were things with the engine that only he did, so again more delays. I kept telling myself this is a legit business, and their just have some bad luck. Everything seemed up an up because of the conversations we had was on a friendly and caring level. ( Today the 6th of August I feel very stupid and taken advantage of ). Supposedly my order left for delivery in June 2002. I kept getting excuses that the truck kept breaking down, and was held up for about 3weeks each time, and the driver ( Kent Jr. ) had warranty repair jobs which increase the delays. Kent Jr. came into the picture sometime between August – September of 2002. Then Kent Sr. was sick and Kent Jr. needed to be with him because he didn't like the care his father was getting, this was in November 2002. Then Kent Jr.’s dad died in December 2002. Then Kent Jr.’s uncle was hassling him about the money he loaned his dad ( Kent Sr. ) to start the business after the grandfather died and wanted it back.. This is where we were told everything had to go into an estate settlement case. Then we were told the courts gave him till a certain time to deliver the engines so the estate can be settled. Then he hurt his back on a delivery he made on Easter Sunday. and was stuck in a hospital in Cincinnati from May to July 2003 He advised us of an extension he got from the courts, which he had till the end of August 2003 to finish the deliveries. Then we talked to Mike ( the Chevy engine builder ) and he told us he was going to take the driving test for a CDL and finish the route for Kent Jr., this was the 20th of June 2003. It just so happened we went on vacation just at the time that Mike started on Kent Jr.’s route, so we missed out ( we thought ). Then we talked to Mike on the 20th of July 2003 and we were told within 3 weeks for delivery. Then we called Kent Jr. on the 8th of August 2003 he told us Mike was no longer with the company, and he ( Kent Jr. ) was in big trouble, and would call us Wednesday the 12th of August 2003, well that day never came. As of now we can't get a response by phone or mail. At 1 3/4 years later I am very discouraged and depressed and feel stupid. I’m into this Kent Jr. for almost $5000.00. If it’s any consolation he had me wire transfer payments to his First Moose Lake bank account in Minnesota. Maybe this info can be a plus.
P.S. there is more info concerning my ordeal with Kent Sr. & Kent Jr. it’s just too much to write. And I’m sorry to say during this long time past I can’t remember all. ( but my wife does J ) LEE Smerdel
Old 09-05-2003, 01:35 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lee,

Thanks for the post. Your story is very similar to others I had heard only a different version. Don't feel stupid or be upset that you fell for this, there is a bunch of us who did. This guy was extremely good and until you worked with him or made a deal with him you have no idea how good and believable he was. There was not anyone that I talked with that even had a clue that there was something wrong. In most case he was so good that everyone actually felt sorry for him due to the unfortunate problems he ran into, you actually felt bad trying to push him or question him. Like I said don't feel stupid, he was very, very good.
I just hope he is put out of buisness this time for good. Again, you have my numbers if you want to call and talk please feel free.

Jim
Old 09-05-2003, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

I've kept track of this thread from the beginning and, except for Excaliber, these are all first time posts and the guy is taking a verbal beating that would kill any business. While it is interesting that all these individuals have posted here, and you can call them, doesn't verify with any credibility what has been charged. Where are the Sheriffs/Police persons that are supposed to be monitoring this thread, how come they haven't posted any substantiation of these events. I am just a little concerned that an individual (real or ficticious) could be defamed in this forum with
little more than a large list of first time posters that claim said happened. I am not as much questioning their validity as whether or not any real documentation has occurred. If this is for real then the guy should be dealt with accordingly, but "an angry mob can be an ugly thing" (from, Young Frankenstein).

Last edited by Woodz428; 09-05-2003 at 04:07 PM..
Old 09-05-2003, 04:33 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

i'm just posting to run up my post count

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-05-2003, 04:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: -Sold- Contemporary 427S/C # CCX-3152 1966 427 Med Rise Side Oiler, 8v 3.54:1 Salisbury IRS, Koni's.. (Now I'm riding Harleys)
Not Ranked     

52 more and it will be 1000. who knew you could only post every 45 seconds

A man that is young in years, may be old in hours, if he have lost no time. But that happeneth rarely. Generally, youth is like the first cogitations, not so wise as the second. For there is a youth in thoughts, as well as in ages... Sir Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
Old 09-05-2003, 04:54 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I started out worried that a "good man" had fallen on "bad times" and all that.

Something is WAY wrong with the "engine builder". Not a "mob" mentality at all, the facts (accusation's if you want to call it that) are looking real serious.

I find that the rather large number of first time posters with very similiar stories adds a lot of credibility to these facts. There needs to be a hearing, there needs to be charges of some kind filed. The matter is far to widespread and far to serious to ignore. The guy's guilt or innocence, in my opinion, should now be a matter for the courts to decide.

Ernie
Old 09-06-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Coupe,Blue w/white stripes SB; Roadster, Blue w/white stripes BB w/2-4s; SPF installer/Hot Rod-Custom Car builder
Not Ranked     

Last edited by Woodz428; 09-06-2003 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-06-2003, 10:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Question

"Burn the witch"...

monty python.... "In Search of the Holy Grail"

Last edited by Woodz428; 09-06-2003 at 11:01 AM..
Old 09-08-2003, 05:33 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Your correct Woodz, this gentleman needs to be dealt with accordingly. From what I understand that is currently happening. The Sheriffs dept. served the intial warrants to get him shut down, they are now putting together all of their evidence to press charges and take this deal to court. Currently that is where we stand. Most of the first time post are because these guys who have ordered product from this guy and now have no way of getting ahold of him are searching the web for information. It brings up this page of the forum when you do a search for KHP engines, Dragboy, his name or their phone number. So that is how they are finding out about this situation, and some, not all are posting replies. I have been a member of Club Cobra for a little while, however I have used it ever since I decided to purchase a Cobra several years ago ( a great place for information), but only posted a few times in the past. This seemed like a good place to help get the word out on this situation and inform others.

Oh by the way I was cantacted again this week end by another individual who just found out. I again ask him to go back into the forum and post his story so everyone can see what had happen to him and what story he was told. But again this guy will show up as a first time post.

I hope this explains the first time posts and again, my intentions are in no way to hurt someone trying to run a legit business, but there is something wrong with this situation. There are some people into this guy with serious money and some have been working with him 2 to 3 years and still have never received anything. Something is wrong with that. I also would love to see the Cheif Deputy Sheriff post some information verifing what I have been telling everyone so you don't think that I am a angry or "T'd" off customer trying to bring a good guy down, or the leader of an angry lynch mob but I am sure there is no way he can do this, at least until this thing is well on its way to being over, and right now it is just getting started.

Jim
Old 09-08-2003, 06:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Jim, It seems like your spending alot of time defending yourself and all the rest of us new to this site. Maybe we should start a new Site for Scam. The Chief Deputy told us that he arrived at his Office one morning to find a couple of Bikers from Michigan that rode down to pay Kent a little visit. He probably should have saved us all alot of trouble and told them where to find him.Keep up the Good Work Jim. FRED
Old 09-08-2003, 06:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

If any of this stuff is true then it sounds like the engine builder lost himself one heck of a business.. Sounds like he had a fortune in work to turn out..
After the second promise to deliver my engine didn't materialize I'd have been on my way to personally pick up my engine. I'd have tried to leave with something or filed a complaint with the Sheriff in person.. (I'm retired and have time to do stuff like that)
Fortunately I've arrived at a time in my life where I'm starting to get a little smarter... and I'm a firm believer in the old adage,"if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is".

Quick story....
I bought a car from a used car lot that a "buddy" of mine owned.
We had a bit of a history and I knew that financially he was a little shaky. I wrote him a check for the car and state taxes and filing fees, etc. I left with the car and a temp. plate to return in a few days to pick up the title and permanent license plates..
A few days go by and I go back for the promised title and plates.
I arrive at the lot early in the morning to find several other people also returning to pick up plates and title. He has some excuses as to why the stuff is not available but not to worry because today is the day when he will get a chance to go downtown and secure all this stuff. (this was my first trip back to pick up the title but some of the other people had been back more than once)
Two days later we all assemble at the lot (got to be eight people waiting for titles) to pick up the promised paperwork. He's sitting in the office and explaining that someone had come back and demanded his money back for a car that he purchased and that he had given our state tax money to him and couldn't produce the titles because he didn't have the money... People are upset and start demanding all their money back... These were basically high mileage cheap cars that people needed to get to work with. He leans back in his car and tells them that there is no money coming back to them and they'll just have to wait till he gets back on his feet and gets the money together. "you all have 30 day tags and I'll try to get the money by then". "what do you want to do, beat me up or something"?."will that make you happy"? with that three people start around the desk and he tries to get the chair back on all four feet but he's not quick enough. He goes over backwards and hits the floor and three people start kicking him. One woman picks up a stapler off the desk and starts hitting him with it... It was great... Justice was served...
He never came up with the money and was arrested by the state.
People got their titles because his brother finally came up with the money and kept him from going to jail.

I hope your situation had a happy ending like mine did...
Old 09-08-2003, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: What Cobra?
Send a message via Yahoo to Turk
Not Ranked     

Remind me to never sell you a car.
Someone has to stick up for the car salesman.
You mean people.

TURK
Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Arrow

My point,actually, is that I don't personally know anyone on this site (if I do I am unaware of it), except for log in names and profiles. Some of the people that have been here for a while either know each other through this forum or in various other settings. I know that a persons integrity is ,in my mind, the absolute most important thing. When I see a bunch of first time posters, on any forum, that have nothing in their profiles to draw some info from I give them the weight they deserve. Which for now ,is none. If the Deputy was investigating, it would be appropriate for him to introduce himself in an effort to gather more info. But without more substance than has been presented, it wouldn't even be admissable in a court of law (I'm sure there are some attorneys here that will verify that), it is called hearsay. If this guy did the deeds presented they desrve severe consequences, but without more substantiation, I consider it hearsay, and a dozen more first time posters with no profile won't change that.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:30 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It IS obvious something is really wrong.

This thread belongs to the victims at this point, try and show a little RESPECT for their loss.

Ernie

EDITED to stay on topic and to the point, as per Ron's request.

Last edited by Excaliber; 09-08-2003 at 11:04 AM..
Old 09-08-2003, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 289FIA / SA 351W / a truly glorious machine
Not Ranked     

Uh oh,,, sounds like Ernie ordered an engine from this guy.