Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2005, 02:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: RUCC Cobra, 351W 400hp / 400 lbs torque
Not Ranked     

Lynn,

I got your e-mail and replied with some information, names and numbers for you to call. I assume you did not get my reply. Please e-mail again and I will resind the reply.

As far as getting our money back, at this point that all hangs in the justice system. I am hoping but not counting on it. Let me know if you dont get the e-mail, if you e-mail me your number I can give you a phone call as well.

sorry to hear that yet another one has fallen prey and is coaught up in this mess.

Sincerely: Jim
Old 04-10-2005, 06:42 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Jim,

I don't know why I am not getting your mail. Did u get the e-mail I sent u with my phone # ( sent on Friday ) ?
I never got the letter that is discussed above about the postal scam. Any idea why?
I was informed by a friend to file a consumer complaint with the attorney general in my state. Have u done the same in your state? Like I said before I never received the #'s that u gave me to call. I will e-mail u again with my e-mail address & phone #.

Lynn P. ( still highly ticked off)

P.S Where is Doug?????How come we haven't heard from him with his smart comments???? I sure would like to see his 383 stroker b-cuz I sure didn't see my 355 Chev. motor!!!!!

P.P.S I sure would like to talk to "Doug" AKA Kent Helseth Jr., Sr.,
engine builder, owner, driver, etc...........
Old 04-11-2005, 06:36 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Lynn,

Got your new e-mail with the different address. I will try to e-mail you again. I also have you number, I will give you a call when I get a chance.

Jim
Old 03-24-2006, 06:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Has anyone heard anything about this DEADBEAT DRAGBOY scam? We purchased two engines to the tune of $10,637.95. One 383 stroker for my 71 Chevelle SS and one 650 Hp for my 70 Cutlass 442. Having scrolled through most of the postings sounds like Dragboy told us about the same things. Last thing we ever heard was a letter with a password and pin on Nov 24, 2004. He even tried to get us to distribute the engines from a semi to the owners and to have me give the new owner instructions (breaking in the engine). I smelled a rat. Declined the offer. Now as I look in hindsite, he probably wanted to start a new scam here in Michigan. He even had us looking for buildings with docks etc. that he could rent. My husband was mobolized with the N G to Egypt and was med vac to Walter Reed becomming totally disabled and has become medically retired and had to retire from his skilled trades job with Ford Motor Co. I'm sure many of you too that were scammed suffered along the way too from all of this. Lets stick together and updated on all of this. We will and can get a class action suit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-25-2006, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SS Shari,

Sorry to hear about your situation, and sorry to hear that yet another person has fallen victim to this guy. As far as an update last I heard there is none. You call the postal division of the FBI who is heading this up at this time and all we are told is that it is still under inestigation and we will be notified of any changes or if an arrest is made. I heard ruumors this guy was looking at starting somethinh up again awhile back but nothing to support it but a phone call making this claim. this information was passed on to the FBI and numbers were exchanged with the caller so they could call the FBI directly in an attempt to get their invovment to shut it down before it got started. Again have not heard anything and dont think any progress has been made yet. If you were not part of the original group you may not have the FBI numbers for updates, if that is the case let me know and I can get them to you. As far as a class action suit there has been talk of this but no one has organized it at this point, I think the reason is the understanding is that it would be behind the goverments investigation and if this guy ends up in jail it may never get a chance to go anywhere, plus as far as I know when they busted this guy they did not find any funds much less large amounts to where anyone could get anythiing back. I am open for ideas and suggestions if you want to organize something and get it going.

Again sorry to hear of your involvement and you situation, give my best to youe husband and hope things turn around and work out for you.

Jim

PS: Did you just find out about this or have you been involved from the start and just came across this web site?
Old 03-25-2006, 05:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Thumbs up managemant problem

Sounds like a management problem to me, from the guy sweeping the floor to the guy blue printing the engines. I know guys that can turn a wench with the best of them but when it comes to management they couldn't back a piss ant out of a nut schell.
Remember, when a ball club fails they fire the manager not the players.
Thanks, AF Morrow
Old 03-25-2006, 12:55 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ACE, 351W, 3550 Tremec, Raging(?) Red W/ White Stripe.
Not Ranked     
Angry Justice Not Forthcoming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Wintz
...As far as an update last I heard there is none. You call the postal division of the FBI who is heading this up at this time and all we are told is that it is still under inestigation and we will be notified of any changes or if an arrest is made. ...
Jim. that is the problem with the justice system, it's just too dam* slow or stopped all together, it's been YEARS already! I've read every message on this thread. Crooks with balls get away with scamming thousands of dollars from hard working people rarely ever get caught and go to jail which is what they deserve. It happens time after time, they open another business under a different name and the same scam happens again and again.
I'm with the people that beat the sh!t out of the car salesman!
Ralph
Old 03-28-2006, 06:53 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks guys for the info!!! These large cases take a long time. I was involved in a taxidermy case which was class action with 63 cases and three felonys. It never went to court till four years later it is still going on well into the fifth year. I recovered my pet buck mount mainly because I had photos and DNA on him but was able to get about thirty mounts of other people to them also. I was a skip tracer in my former life and provided alot of info for the courts. I will now begin this case on my own time. Are there any other car clubs that any of you know of that may have experienced this scam also? Although time consuming and frustrating, sometimes a thread of info can lead to some very important info. I put editorials in my local papers about the sleezy taxidermist and you wouldnt beleive the people comming out of the woodwork. Also connect with your local TV news problem solvers, sometimes they are willing to do a story. Alot of times a little embarassing publicity gets the system moving. I will do whatever I can here in Michigan. You all can get involved too with your State.
Old 03-29-2006, 03:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

SS Shari

I have a list of names of others who contacted me, not sure if a list can be obtained from the police or FBI, last I heard we were into the 60 count as well as far as people that had been contacted or made contact. Let me know if I can be of any help.

Jim
Old 04-11-2006, 11:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Update. I hope he gets the 20 years as described in the article below, that sounds close to fair. Will I get my $2777 back? No. Will Mr. Helseth enjoy his prison time? I sure hope so. I wonder if he still reads any of these threads. If so, I hear the trick is to kick somebody's butt or become their girlfriend the first day. Enjoy your time in the federal pounder!

I never heard any of the promised update from the Postal Inspector after I sent in my information. I thought they said they would inform me if they either declined prosecution or indicted him.

Anyway, check out the story of Kent's current predicament and potential prison time: http://www.globegazette.com/articles...7155718618.txt
Old 04-12-2006, 03:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great news, I can't believe that something is finally happening. I first posted this thread after the raid and he was arrested on 8-12-03, that was almost 4 months after they started after him and here we are almost 3 years later. Like they say better late then never.

If anyone has any more information or come across any futher news stories on this case please post them so everyone can be kept informed. I just called the victims notification system and they have the usual recording "This case is currently under investigation", like none of us have heard that before.

I hope he gets his resevations in the state prison squared away soon. The only thing that would make this a better story would be a follow saying that all the victims will get their money back, I sure could use it for paint right now.

Well this is at least a start to the end, thanks for the information and please post all further updates.

Jim
Old 04-12-2006, 03:37 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

This guy delayed a ton of car builds with an unforseen expense.
Old 04-12-2006, 05:00 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF GT40P-2265/393W, KMP318 (PROJECT!!!!!)/CSX478
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyLuva
I hear the trick is to kick somebody's butt or become their girlfriend the first day.
Either way, he'll be dealing in butts.

I'm just glad to hear that his actions have finally caught up with him. I remember reading this thread a long time ago, and doubted that any of us would ever see justice. Still, it doesn't help those who were swindled.

"Dishwasher? I thought that was for cleaning parts!?"
Old 04-13-2006, 03:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I wish I would have kept count of the people I spoke with that were caught up in this and what they lost, the $150,000 in the artical seems low. I also don't really understand the 6 counts against him, I spoke with about 23 people myself who were caught up in this, about a dozen who posted on this thread and one of my last conversations with the Cheif Deputy I was told they had upward of 60 some people so I am not sure what the 6 counts stands for. I just wish there was some way for all involved could get what they lost back or at least a part of it. I hope this keeps rolling now and this thing gets finished up, over 3 years is way to long for this to come to justice.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Late 70s Allied Industries?? 454 BBC; alum copo heads and intake THM 400 12 bolt posi ++ 06 CL 55 AMG
Not Ranked     

The prosecutor and the police will decide on the best cases, and only file enough to get a plea bargain. Usually, a Judge will run the only a few sentences consecutive and that is the max he will get. Break into a house and you will get convicted of a burglary. Break into 10 houses, and they will dismiss 9 and take a plea to a burglary. Thats the usual system.
Old 04-16-2006, 09:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Drag Boy

Dont know if it had to do with any of the talking I did but the info I got was that his first arraignment is April 27 . I got the info via e-mail from the victims notification, didnt anyone else receive this too? Write editorials and expose this dude more. We need to choke the system into working for us!!!!!!!!!! Wish everyone involved the best of luck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Me Too.... Back in 1991

Wow... I got taken back in 1991 from at Autoshopper Ad in Minnesota for the 383 Stroker. Same exact story about the sick and hospitals EVERYTHING!!!!

I was younger and dumber but it sounds like I got off cheap! $690.00 - I still have my file with all his numbers he gave me and the check he cashed at my Bank in North St. Paul, MN. At the time he was in Clearwater, MN.

I still get mad. Infact I just searched it today and found this. I am still steaming.

Where is he at? I had his sisters number at one time and called her all the time. She moved or dropped her number years ago.

Is he in Jail? Where? Can someone send me any info??? It would make me feel a little better? Sounds like I was taken early for this deal!

Man.... I am still steaming.

Brian
whse4rent@netzero.com
Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Read the Artical....

I see he was arrested. Was he charged now? This is like seeing a shrink I feel better knowing I was not the only one??? - Sorry Guys!. Nice going with the thread guys. I still would like to hear what he got? It was not enough! I look to be the beginning of this mess. When I called the cops way back they blew me off and did nothing. I think they could have caught him at the beginning and stopped all these losses.

Man... I can't even sleep now! I would really like to visit and just say HI to him in person.

Brian
Old 07-17-2006, 06:44 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Latest info I have is that his trial date is scheduled for August 7th at 9:00 am.

This has already changed once so until it gets here it is still open to be re-scheduled based on the courts needs. It can't come soon enough but at least there is light at the end of this dark tunnel, no money, but light.

Jim
Old 07-19-2006, 06:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just got an update from the Department of Justice.

Last inso said a trial was scheduled for Aug 4th.

The new one states the HEARING is scheduled for Oct. 6th and the purpose of the hearing is to determine if there are issues that the Court needs to address and to schedule any future court dates.

Maybe the can address the issue of my lost funds???

Just an update for anyone who is interested. I assume this update means it is still moving forward, not sure of the steps of progression in our Court system.