Club Cobra Gas - N Exhaust  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > ERA---Speak with Bob Putnam

Keith Craft Racing
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 08:30 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

its ...Tuesday ...did you call and send in your deposit yet?....you will have plenty of time to worry about options etc...it will be at least 6 months to get a frame #
Old 10-18-2011, 09:03 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgs365 View Post
its ...Tuesday ...did you call and send in your deposit yet?....you will have plenty of time to worry about options etc...it will be at least 6 months to get a frame #
IIRC, there was at one time a lively market for ERA's "in-line" numbers...people sold or traded their place in line, especially if they were not in a hurry.

You might check, but the last time I looked the deposit was refundable if you decided after taking the plunge that you could not go through with the build.

ERA's reputation is first class, I think of them as the gold standard in 'glass replicas. That's why so many people are anxious for their products...

I fancy one of their GT40 MKI replicas , and a 289FIA Cobra model , as well.

Cheers, Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!

Last edited by YerDugliness; 10-18-2011 at 09:07 AM.. Reason: FIA fever!!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:51 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     
Default 3.31 and .82 OD :)

My Toploader comment. I had Kee build a new WR TL also. After three months I concluded that the 3.43 I had then and the 1:1 final was way too busy going down the road at 65 mph or more. Pulled it out and replaced with Tremec #4617 TKO 600 Road Race (.82 5th).

I had a near identical catastrophic stub axle failure to Duane's, due to a brain dead attempt a few years back to do a burn out on GY Billboards and hot asphalt Had the Jag diff rebuilt by CWI with 3.31 ring, new spider cage, and billet 31 spline stubs - mas fino!!

Now I have cooked the stub axle seals due to the brake heat and ERA is preparing me a new rear assembly with outboard brakes (see Duane's photo above). Shoulda done it to begin with, but I had no idea then how I would be using the car on the track.

Car is 4 years old, 3rd engine, third tranny, third rear end iteration, and I am about to get it dialed in. It's all fun BTW, I am up to the cost of a new Kirkham ...

Sam
Old 10-18-2011, 10:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
It seems like the five speed or 3.31/WR might be a good solution. I sort of like the authenticity of the four speed, and it's a bit cheaper and from what I understand a bit more durable than the Tremec five speed which would be the alternative.

On the other hand, the flexibility of the five speed would be nice and freeway driving would be less frenetic, and it would give some of that CR feeling...
I know we all have varying levels of what authenticity we want for our cars, but the Tremec TKO600 is the way to go. Having a 5th gear is wonderful and no one can see your transmission unless you have it up on a lift. Also, if you ever do sell your car, I personally think the Tremec is a plus.

Also, the TKO600 has been around for years and years and you don't see very many folks posting about problems with it.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2124
Not Ranked     

I can second/third/fourth/fifth (sry about the pun) the TKO600 suggestion...I also have the 0.82 final drive with a 3.54 rear (equals a 2.90 total final drive), but this is with a small block 347, so I refrained from posting my opinion when you guys are more knowledgable about FE characteristics/happiness. In any case, with 15" Trigos and 275/60 tires, I am at a very civilized 2500-2800rpm at sane highway speeds. I went on a 1200mi trip last year and achieved 17mi/gal (again small block with 44 IDF's) on average and this was with shorter tires - 295/50's.

The only issue that I've discovered with the TKO is slight grinding into 3rd on quick up/down shifts. I've experienced this on large auto-x courses and at the strip. A quick google search also shows others have had the issue, but under normal driving conditions I never experience it. In summary, I'm very happy with the gear spacing and quality of the gearbox....it's relatively light, too. I just had mine out this past weekend fixing a flywheel ring gear issue.

- Allen.

Last edited by Fullchat289; 10-18-2011 at 10:48 AM..
Old 10-18-2011, 06:58 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 623, 427 S/C Cobra. Ford FE 428 Cobra Jet, Ford Nascar TL 4speed - with a touch of raw; "less is more" theme
Not Ranked     

Sam,

Hey, perhaps the common link we share with similar experiences and outcomes starts with what's in front of the transmission twisting stock Jag differentials apart in the first place. Possible Answer: knowledgeable FE engine builders that know how to make torque. Tom built mine, Keith built yours. The result was the weakest link gave out. Hopefully your 3rd round upgrades hold this time. If not, it might lead me to investigating a whole new rear subframe and IRS/differential design. I would possibly do it if there enough of us interested in it and making it worth doing at some point down the road.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:27 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA GT #2077, 331 SBF, Webers, Gurney Eagle heads
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by decooney View Post
Sam,

Hey, perhaps the common link we share with similar experiences and outcomes starts with what's in front of the transmission twisting stock Jag differentials apart in the first place. Possible Answer: knowledgeable FE engine builders that know how to make torque. Tom built mine, Keith built yours. The result was the weakest link gave out. Hopefully your 3rd round upgrades hold this time. If not, it might lead me to investigating a whole new rear subframe and IRS/differential design. I would possibly do it if there enough of us interested in it and making it worth doing at some point down the road.
You're right about the process of finding the weakest link, Duane. So when Mike Bontoft got done with my differential, I asked him how much torque he thought it would stand. His answer: "I'm not going to tell you .. just don't do what you did .. " He's right, of course, no more drags for this IRS, just road races. It's been fine in that role. For those who value static burnouts and clutch drop launches, Ford made the 9" live axle.

Btw, this $3K piece of CWI artwork is going in the new ERA rear that Doug is building. I get to use the half shafts and the 6-pin hubs too

Flygirl, apologies for all this noise in your thread

Sam
Old 10-18-2011, 08:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Please, no apologies necessary. It's like sitting at a bar and the conversation goes here and there, and I just sort of take it all in.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #684, 428 FE, TKO600
Not Ranked     

Flygirl:
Not apropos of anything but here's a write-up I did on my ERA when it was first delivered.
Just an idea of what you have to look forward to:
Number 684

DonC
Old 10-19-2011, 02:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 1966 Lone Star 427SC.
Not Ranked     

Beautiful ERA Don, and great story.
Old 11-21-2011, 09:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: TBD, other is 67 Mustang GTA 390 Convertible w/air,
Send a message via Skype™ to fostereast
Not Ranked     
Default Engine

Flygirl,

Good luck with your build, My favorite replica is an ERA with undercar exhaust. With respect to engines; keep in mind Shelby used whatever he could get. Sideoilers, 428's and a few Centeroilers also were all delivered in Cobra's. It seems like the Centeroiler blocks are up in price now, and you might find a good Sideoiler block to start with for the same price. One Cobra Shelby built and raced, "Fliptop" I think, even had a 390 in it! But it may have used an experimental aluminum block.

Lots of good engine builders out there, but Barry Robotnick at survival Motorsports has been an Engine Master's winner and done a lot recently to bring broader attention to the FE as a performance engine. He lists some builds on his site that include prices, parts and HP/Torque graphs from dyno tests, so you can get a pretty transparent look at several options.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:41 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Flygirl was reading through this and didn't notice anyone address the registration issues here in CA. You cannot bring a turnkey completed in for registration without it being subject to current smog and safety standards. If ERA completes the car it will not qualify as a "Special Construction" vehicle and you won't be able to legally get it through SB100 for the smog exemption.

The people at ERA build a wonderful car, one of the best available and you can't go wrong with that part of your decision but be aware of the limitation we face here in CA when it comes to registering our replicas.
Old 11-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8or View Post
If ERA completes the car it will not qualify as a "Special Construction" vehicle and you won't be able to legally get it through SB100 for the smog exemption.
They have a separation of entities that perform the various tasks so that there is a sufficient "Chinese Wall" in place to satisfy registration requirements. If she's seriously considering a turnkey ERA, which I doubt, she should chat with Peter in order to put any of those CA concerns to rest. But I don't think a turnkey ERA is really on her list.
Old 11-23-2011, 08:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BRG ERA street car w/428 PI, Sunburst wheels, undercar exhaust, original interior, no philips head screws!
Not Ranked     

Came into this late but here is my .02.

Have fun with this, it's exciting.

On so many levels ERA is just a great company and a great product. You will not be let down on any level.

Be reasonable and you will have no problems. These guys are like old new England craftsmen. The quality is beyond expectations. This takes time. Whatever date they give times it by 1.5.

Build the car you want.

You can reach me direct at 203.506.9126 for anything specific.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default ditto

ditto what 428 said....the ride is long as far as the build...but everytime you see the work they do its like x-mass morning when you where a kid!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 428street View Post
Came into this late but here is my .02.

Have fun with this, it's exciting.

On so many levels ERA is just a great company and a great product. You will not be let down on any level.

Be reasonable and you will have no problems. These guys are like old new England craftsmen. The quality is beyond expectations. This takes time. Whatever date they give times it by 1.5.

Build the car you want.

You can reach me direct at 203.506.9126 for anything specific.
Old 11-24-2011, 05:14 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Adding to that, the time goes by faster than you may think, and then you have your Cobra. After that, the driving experience is just great, no matter how many years you have it. It just keeps getting better season after season. ERA is the best.
PS. Does anyone know the date of the ERA open house this year?
Old 11-25-2011, 04:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Size 10 Feet
Not Ranked     

I suspect that the open house will be on Friday, the 23rd.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 428 PI
Not Ranked     
Default Era

Flygirl,

I have thoroughly enjoyed your thread. It actually prompted me to re-register with CC as I had forgotten my password and could not figure out how to retrieve it.

I own ERA #669. Which some call Peter P's car but I've owned it since it was new. It was a full turn key and I had no issues getting an SB 100 in Cali.

It's a full street spec car and is pictured on ERA's website with Peter's original (csx 3252) and in the new ERA poster. It has the smooth hood but in aluminum, 2.5 in. undercar exhaust, sunbursts, street gas cap, etc. I have a mild 428 with a wide top loader and 3.31:1 gears.

I have been developing this car for over seven years and would love to help assist you in any decisions.

Added bonus - I live in the Bay Area if you want to see it.

Green Hornet
Old 12-21-2011, 01:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thank you! I've been offline for a while now, a new job and traveling, no excuses really just swamped with a long to-do list.

Time to build/wait for a turnkey ERA: I know what y'all mean about the months passing, and then...there's the car coming off the transporter! I'm going to be 50 next year and am really experiencing that acceleration of the passage of time which comes with age. To be honest, the year flew by, and it's only going to get quicker. I'm not in any rush, really, so waiting's not a big deal. And I appreciate the contact information and offers of assistance. Sometimes I'm not good at reaching out, that's something I need to improve upon.

A new ERA for me?: Actually yes, I'm very serious about the idea. I placed a $5,000 deposit last month, and have been added to the list. But I'm still considering other options, one in particular; we'll see how it goes. I will say that I've read and re-read the assembly manual, and find myself thinking, "I could do that!" Really interesting stuff.

SB-100: From what I understand, SB-100 is an option for this car. And Green Hornet proves that to be so. Logically, I'm not sure I see how it's any different from a Superformance. In that case, SPF builds the roller and another entity adds the driveline. In ERA's case, ERA builds the roller, another entity adds the driveline...in fact, a third entity paints the body. I've seen other ERAs, built by ERA (as opposed to by an individual) registered under SB-100, in fact, I nearly bought one. Everything I've learned indicates that it should be SB-100 compliant.

Engine choices: During layovers and such, I've been reading a lot about the original Cobras, reviewing many pictures, and one of my students gifted me the book, "Shelby Cobra, 50 Years" by Colin Comer, which I carry with me wherever I go. The gist of that book is that the 428 was seen by most customers at the time as not terribly desirable. So, although some cars came with that engine, it was often (but not always) swapped out for a side oiler. That said, I'm pushing the budget with this car as it is, and the 428CJ is my turnkey engine of choice. A good blend of price, period correctness, and lower end torque in an engine that'll be built to a mild configuration.

Green Hornet's Car: Thank you! It's a beaut and has the look I'm going for. I'm in the bay area regularly, and would love to take you up on your offer. At the moment I think I'd prefer the five speed, but that's the main difference, besides the color. I've also seen some pics of earlier street 427s ( in particular, comedian Mort Sahl's car that was stolen in San Francisco in '66, and never seen again) that has only the chrome overriders front and rear, with that air splitter up front in the grille opening. I think one of the most attractive aspects of the car is in the rear, how the body curves down and in below the trunk opening, and worry that perhaps the bumper hides that feature a bit too much for my taste.

The current hypothetical set up of a turnkey ERA 427 Cobra for Pinto Girl:
Street version, Wimbledon white, no scoop, 428/five speed, vinyl seats, street gas cap (or the comp version if it's cheaper, especially if I go with the comp instrument panel, see below), Halibrand style knock offs, undercar exhaust with the pipes exiting downward in the rear and mostly out of sight (instead of straight back), chrome overriders front and rear (no bumper or grille hoop) and the splitter up front, 15" wood steering wheel with the Cobra center cap. It'd be equipped with the heavy duty puller fan so the twin pushers wouldn't be necessary. The only question is that I really prefer the comp instrument panel, would it be too much of a mistake to spec that instead of the street panel, but with a glove compartment? From an aesthetic point of view, this car wouldn't have the sunbursts, so perhaps the comp filler cap and comp instrument panel with a glove compartment would be elements blending comp and street styles...? Or is that just weird? Really don't know how I feel about this yet.

Last edited by Flygirl; 12-21-2011 at 02:00 PM..
Old 12-21-2011, 01:47 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
The only question is that I really prefer the comp instrument panel, would it be too much of a mistake to spec that instead of the street panel, but with a glove compartment? From an aesthetic point of view, this car wouldn't have the sunbursts, so perhaps the comp filler cap and comp instrument panel with a glove compartment would be elements blending comp and street styles...? Or is that just weird? Really don't know how I feel about this yet.
A lot of us have the comp dash with a glove box, which is "blending the two." I think it just looks better than a no-box dash, and I think the comp style looks better than the street style. Remember, these are just fake cars. You can make them any way you want and no one except us will know the difference. In the years I have owned my car I have run in to exactly one real Cobra owner (and he was an owner 40 years ago). He did look at the comp dash and said "You know, I think my dash was different from yours, but I'm not sure..." and that started a fun, long conversation. He was nuts about my car, too. Build it any way you want.