Keith Craft Inc.- We service what we sell!!! Check out our Cobra engines!!! We build high performance racing engines and components for the fast pace strip racing industry as well as daily drivers who want to be FIRST!!!

FE Forums sponsored by Keith Craft Inc.

Go Back   Club Cobra > Engine Building, Tuning, and Induction > FE TALK

Welcome to Club Cobra!  The World's largest non biased Shelby Cobra related site!

•  » Representation from nearly all Cobra/Daytona/GT40 manufacturers
  •  » Help from all over the world for your questions
  •  » Build logs for you and all members
  •  » Blogs
  •  » Image Gallery
  •  » Many thousands of members and nearly 1 million posts! 

YES! I want to register an account for free right now!  p.s.: For registered members this ad will NOT show

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
MMG Superformance
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
April 2024
S M T W T F S
  1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30        

Kirkham Motorsports

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2010, 05:50 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Nice work. Welding the socket had to be a real treat...

The head gasket was still sealing compression or you would have seen black discoloration leaking across the surface. Good news all around even it it don't feel like it after a long day. Go grab a glass of your favorite "assembly lube" and rest up. You're on the home stretch.

Told ya the 2x4 would work well. It might seem a little "cave man" - but some sort of drill guide really is worth the effort.

"I can do that....."

Engine Masters Challenge Entries
91 octane - single 4bbl - mufflers
2008 - 429 cid FE HR - 675HP
2007 - 429 cid FE MR - 659HP
2006 - 434 cid FE MR - 678HP
2005 - 505 cid FE MR - 752HP
Old 08-08-2010, 07:21 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison LS1
Not Ranked     

are those 10mm metric bolts in the 2 x 4?????????

or 12 mm??
Old 08-08-2010, 08:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: jbl
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Clayton View Post

or 12 mm??
oh shoot! uh oh

Last edited by vector1; 08-09-2010 at 04:43 AM..
Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:

or 12 mm??
Grade 3, 1/2 x 13s ... probably Chinese though. Why ??? You think they're Wong for the job? (parts drawer bolts, torqued to 1/16" board compression)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry_R View Post
Nice work. Welding the socket had to be a real treat...

The head gasket was still sealing compression or you would have seen black discoloration leaking across the surface. Good news all around even it don't feel like it after a long day. Go grab a glass of your favorite "assembly lube" and rest up. You're on the home stretch.

Told ya the 2x4 would work well. It might seem a little "cave man" - but some sort of drill guide really is worth the effort.
Home stretch's hind parts, everyone knows it takes half again as much time to put it together as it did to rip it apart!

Yea, the 2x4 was the shiznit. A minute on the drill press and I had the right tool for the job. It was so easy a cave man DID do it...

The witness marks on the heads show good compression sealing on all cylinders. The head only lifted at the inner edge. The marks on the head gasket most likely are gasket erosion, caused by the constant pressurized minute flow of coolant.

Speaking of witness marks on the heads, what do you think about a 0.005" or less skim cut on the heads. That'll clean up the compression ring indentations around the cylinders and give me a good head gasket sealing surface. That shouldn't significantly change my manifold's ride height.

Let me know if anyone needs a "FE coolant passage pressure test kit"
Old 08-09-2010, 05:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Bolt head marking looks like a metric bolt rating======and a 12mm will screw into a 1/2 13 hole
Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Bolt head marking looks like a metric bolt rating======and a 12mm will screw into a 1/2 13 hole
They do look like they have metric markings in the fuzzy picture. I'll take a look at them when I get home. Any port in the storm though...

They bit and held that 10 lbft, so the threads (pitch, per inch and diameter) must have been pretty darn close.
Old 08-09-2010, 07:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Homebuilt, .060 over 428 FE Dual Quad
Not Ranked     
Default How did you

How did you get the helicoil threads and the threads below it in the block to match up?
Old 08-09-2010, 07:31 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by acmjg View Post
How did you get the helicoil threads and the threads below it in the block to match up?
I measured the new stud's block thread insertion depth and replicated that depth with the helicoil insert. The helicoil is an inch and a half long so it worked out fine. Since it's a blind hole I simply bored for the helicoil to the same depth as the hole was originally bored.
Old 08-15-2010, 12:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I got the heads back from the machine shop Friday. They cut 0.005" off both faces (intake and cylinder contact surface areas) to keep things aligned and the manifold at the correct ride height. I glued the intake and header gaskets to the head utilizing weatherstrip adhesive. There's where they stayed overnight, with a 100 lb bucket of pipe fittings on top of them to keep the gaskets compressed and glued tight.

I test fit the manifold and the intake surfaces matched up perfectly. The intake studs all went down fine.

Here's where I'm quitting today... The head studs went down fine, antisieze for the block threads and ARP moly for the top. I test fit the Ersons to ensure I didn't have any head stud interference issues, all were fine. The studs nuts clicked right down to 85 lb ft (3 incremental torques) with no sign of thread fatigue. The intake studs torqued fine to 35 lb ft also.

There's a ton more left to do. All's well thus far though...

Last edited by undy; 08-15-2010 at 12:07 PM..
Old 08-15-2010, 04:12 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Have some beers-looks great!
Old 08-22-2010, 07:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Success!! (So far)

Forgive the fuzzy picture... She was running with a tad of shake and my Crackberry was going nuts trying to focus.

It's together and been running for about 20 minutes! I've got a good "FE"eling about everything.

No leaks, no drips, no errors... Everything seems to be in order. The oil's bright and clear (as it always was). I'm running 8 quarts of "dump oil" in her now (Advance auto 10W30 with a Purolator filter). I'll looking to get about a hour of run time and then I'll dump the Dino and filter. That will give me enough time to flush the engine well and get any residual Glycol contaminants out of the system too. I'll do a flush on the Accusump also. The oil cooler and lines will also be blown out before the fresh oil is put in. It will be replaced with a Mobil 1 oil filter and 10 quarts of 15W50 Mobil 1. The engine's still hot so I've not been able to check the coolant level. It came up to temp in a predictable amount of time. The thermostat opened around 180 deg and shortly after the fan cycled on. I'm not expecting any surprises.

I've a small amount of work left to do. I'll sure be glad when this one's over.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:38 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Fords
Not Ranked     

Beautiful.

Z.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:52 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Great progress

The shake you have might be because you got plug wires 7 and 8 running next to each other and getting crossfire-Ford used to put #7, #5,#6,#8 to stop the cross over---and then on a tune up a mech(or owner) would put them on the plugs like they were on the valve cover and then 3 of them would be wrong---7 on 5, 5 on 6, 6 on 7, 8 on 8!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2010, 11:34 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Great progress

The shake you have might be because you got plug wires 7 and 8 running next to each other and getting crossfire-Ford used to put #7, #5,#6,#8 to stop the cross over---and then on a tune up a mech(or owner) would put them on the plugs like they were on the valve cover and then 3 of them would be wrong---7 on 5, 5 on 6, 6 on 7, 8 on 8!!!!!!
Thank goodness the shake was a couple lifters that had run dry and had to pump up. When I was adjusting the vlaves there were 2 or 3 lifters that had bled down. As soon as they pumped up it all evened out. I've got the end of the plug wires all loomed together making them fool-proof. It was so easy a caveman did it...

It's done...

Everything checks out and no leaks or concerns thus far. I dumped the Dino and put in 10 quarts of Mobil 1. The steering colum is back in, everythings cleaned up and there's a fresh coat of wax on all affected areas. I'm ready for some asphalt action now. Too bad there's a bunch of rogue thunderstorms going through today...
Old 08-22-2010, 12:09 PM
Half-Ass Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA #732, 428FE (447 CID), TKO600, Solid Flat Tappet Cam, Tons of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by undy View Post
It's done...
You did a very nice job. Tackling an "unknown" like that and then putting it to bed is super-rewarding.
Old 08-22-2010, 12:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Perseverance pays off. Well thought out, good job.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 08-22-2010, 12:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickt View Post
You did a very nice job. Tackling an "unknown" like that and then putting it to bed is super-rewarding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
Perseverance pays off. Well thought out, good job.
Thanks Pat and Rick, I'm now ready for my next challenge. Being a Cobra fan there's for sure more "fun" ahead.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

After numerous jaunts I find the cooling system to be well sealed. There's no internal or external leaks, coolant, oil or otherwise. I'm happy that it's been taken care of in spite of the PITA it turned out to be.

All seems to be well in Cobraland...
Old 08-30-2010, 03:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: I'm Cobra-less!
Send a message via AIM to blykins
Not Ranked     

WOOHOO!

Now on to that LS stroker build for your Corvette....
Old 08-30-2010, 04:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blykins View Post
WOOHOO!

Now on to that LS stroker build for your Corvette....
Yes sir... Are we talkin' about a LSx Warhawk 454???

Some 5 head bolt per hole CNC'd heads and a stout hydro-rollers's good for around 700 rwhp... That could turn the daily driver into a high 9 second terror (instead of a high 10 second almost terror)