10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Old 04-21-2012, 01:06 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default 302 EFI distributor

I have a distibutor off of a 1994 Mustang GT,302,EFI (I think) car:question???
can I use it as is on a carbed motor, using an ignition box like MSD or other spark box???????

I'm pretty sure I can wire it up to work, just wondering about the timing advance....I took it apart to clean it up and it looks like it doesn't have any mechaincal advance in it as other/older distributors do..

I was hoping to use it on a carbed 331, just tired of the rust/moisture and other issues with MSD distributors that I've had in the past.....

numbers cast on the distributor body itself: E4ZE-12131-AA
numbers on the metalic tag on the body: E7AE-12A332-BA W/MOD
E6AE-12127-DA GRAY

David
Old 04-21-2012, 01:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 736 Street, Pond 482, FAST XFI EFI
Not Ranked     

David-

You won't be able to have any advance without the Ford EEC connected to it. The distributor outputs a cam sync signal called PIP which the EEC uses to calculate advance. The EEC then sends a signal back to the ignition module called SPOUT which contains the timing advance information.

So to make a long story short, you could get it to work, but with locked out timing only.

phil
Old 04-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by philminotti View Post
David-

You won't be able to have any advance without the Ford EEC connected to it. The distributor outputs a cam sync signal called PIP which the EEC uses to calculate advance. The EEC then sends a signal back to the ignition module called SPOUT which contains the timing advance information.

So to make a long story short, you could get it to work, but with locked out timing only.

phil
Thanks a million,that's what I was afraid of and not what I want (locked timing)......so,now it's back to the drawing board.....
I guess the next best thing to do is use this distributor as a core and get a rebuilt one for an early 80's Mustang GT with a carb.....
any other suggestions other than MSD????? I'm burnt out on them.My car sits for sometimes a month or more and have had corrosion problems all the time, it gets old having to pull the cap off and clean all the contacts and mechanical weights to get it to work right...

David
Old 04-21-2012, 01:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Well, you could go full EFI, like i have. It'll provide you with countless hours of frustration and annoyance, until you finally get it perfect. Which you never will quite accomplish. Still though, if you enjoy a challenge, it's fun. That's what i keep telling myself....
Old 04-21-2012, 02:05 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Well, you could go full EFI, like i have. It'll provide you with countless hours of frustration and annoyance, until you finally get it perfect. Which you never will quite accomplish. Still though, if you enjoy a challenge, it's fun. That's what i keep telling myself....
No thank you!!!!!!
I have enough problems in life, I don't need to throw EFI into the mix...I know squat about it or how it works or how to make it work and have no desrie to learn it at my age.....
I'm pretty handy with a timing light and a Holley four barrel carb,screw driver,a few open end wrenches and a good pair of pliers........

A man has to know his limitations and I know mine, and that starts when you have to plug a lap top into the car to tune it......if I can't do it with a timing light/screw driver and a handful of wrenches, I bring it to someone that can,like a dealer...with the new stuff on the cars,about all I can do is an oil change......
I guess it's called "progress"......

BTW: how about the distributors on the 85 to 88 or so models with the throttle body stuff (I meant mass air) on them, think one of those might work?????

David

Last edited by DAVID GAGNARD; 04-21-2012 at 02:08 PM..
Old 04-21-2012, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

The pre-89 cars did use a different EFI scheme, speed density versus mass air flow, but i believe the ignition was almost identical. How about giving a Mallory or an Accel or even a Summit brand distributor an audition?
Old 04-21-2012, 02:23 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
The pre-89 cars did use a different EFI scheme, speed density versus mass air flow, but i believe the ignition was almost identical. How about giving a Mallory or an Accel or even a Summit brand distributor an audition?
That's what I was trying to remember,speed density/mass air and all that stuff.........

I'm looking at the new Summit brand distributor and MSD type box and I'm liking what I see.........

I do have one junk yard nearby that should have a few early carbed V-8 GT cars, I want to go look at one of those distributors first, then decide.......The stock Ford unit is a good unit and worked well on thousands and thousands of cars for millions and millions of miles, I just gotta give a look see first....

David
Old 04-21-2012, 02:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID GAGNARD View Post
I have a distibutor off of a 1994 Mustang GT,302,EFI (I think) car:question???
can I use it as is on a carbed motor, using an ignition box like MSD or other spark box???????

I'm pretty sure I can wire it up to work, just wondering about the timing advance....I took it apart to clean it up and it looks like it doesn't have any mechaincal advance in it as other/older distributors do..

I was hoping to use it on a carbed 331, just tired of the rust/moisture and other issues with MSD distributors that I've had in the past.....

numbers cast on the distributor body itself: E4ZE-12131-AA
numbers on the metalic tag on the body: E7AE-12A332-BA W/MOD
E6AE-12127-DA GRAY

David
David,

You can use your factory non-advance electronic distributor and have an advance curve with an MSD 6AL-2 programmable P/N 6530:

MSD Digital Programmable 6AL-2 - 6530

I have one in one my cars, great piece of gear.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 04-21-2012, 02:59 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

okee dokke, something else to look into and consider.........

David
Old 04-21-2012, 03:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Huh. That's an interesting option. Never saw that one before...it even utililizes a map sensor to determine load. Pretty cool.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:42 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Huh. That's an interesting option. Never saw that one before...it even utililizes a map sensor to determine load. Pretty cool.
Yes it certainly is cool, 3d mapping is possible, as good as any factory electronic mapping.

Gold Certified Holden Technician
Old 04-21-2012, 09:28 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

Pop the cap loose when you park it in the garage or trailer. Any acumulated moisture in the cap will not settle on the internals when it cools down (dew point).

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-22-2012, 05:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Sold my beloved Shelby CSX 4068, Gessford 427 Ford
Not Ranked     

David
How about a 70's Duraspark distributor off a 302? You should be able to get a rebuilt one at NAPA for about $75. They are bulletproof, and cheap.
I'm seriously thinking about going to one of these on my FE before I have MSD issues. Plus it has vacuum advance, and I'm convinced that it would improve my street car's drivability and fuel mileage. Why not do the same thing on a small block? MSD sells a harness that lets you plug it right in to one of their spark boxes.
Doug
Old 04-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougD View Post
David
How about a 70's Duraspark distributor off a 302? You should be able to get a rebuilt one at NAPA for about $75. They are bulletproof, and cheap.
I'm seriously thinking about going to one of these on my FE before I have MSD issues. Plus it has vacuum advance, and I'm convinced that it would improve my street car's drivability and fuel mileage. Why not do the same thing on a small block? MSD sells a harness that lets you plug it right in to one of their spark boxes.
Doug
Doug: very good suggestion,I will definetly look into that,I prefer a distributor without a vacum advance,that's just me, I guess I could modify one with the vacum advance to run without it......

Quote:
Pop the cap loose when you park it in the garage or trailer. Any acumulated moisture in the cap will not settle on the internals when it cools down (dew point).
Rick: I did drill some holes in the MSD cap as per some MSD instructions to help eliminate the moisture and it did help some, but did not eliminate all the problems....I'm just tired of the problems with the "STATE OF THE ART" MSD distributors......The factory Ford units never had all these problems...

David
Old 04-22-2012, 10:50 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: NAF 289 Slabside Early Comp Car with 289 Webers and all the goodies. Cancelling the efforts of several Priuses
Not Ranked     

I have an OEM Ford distributor that has had the vacuum advance removed. It is from a mid 70's 302 Duraspark application. The condition is excellent and the gear is perfect. It will accept standard small diameter cap or the larger OEM Ford one with the base adapter. I used this in my 289 before got the MSD distributor. I also have a dual point if you are so inclined. Both are available. They are nice. No junk from me. 100.00 delivered per.

As you slide down the Banister of Life, may the splinters never be pointing the wrong way
Old 04-22-2012, 01:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Parker View Post
I have an OEM Ford distributor that has had the vacuum advance removed. It is from a mid 70's 302 Duraspark application. The condition is excellent and the gear is perfect. It will accept standard small diameter cap or the larger OEM Ford one with the base adapter. I used this in my 289 before got the MSD distributor. I also have a dual point if you are so inclined. Both are available. They are nice. No junk from me. 100.00 delivered per.
I haven't decided on which way to go yet,gonna look at all options.....either way, I'm running a hydraulic roller cam,so I'll need the steel gear....I'm about a month or more away from assembling that particualr engine anyway..

David

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: