June 2024
S M T W T F S
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 3.29 average. Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 06:51 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

GMCC,

I hope everyone is well and good thins morning

Someone broke in my truck the other day and stole some things. They got in by pulling out (not completely) the door handle (F250) and sticking a screwdriver in to unlock the door. It is just bent a little and I think I can bend it back in place.

I have a question. Is there anything I can put behind the handle to make this a little more difficult for the next SOB that breaks in? I have searched the web and find nothing like that.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:00 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

How about something like this???

http://www.jimmijammer.com/index.html
Old 03-02-2009, 07:05 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Steve,

Sorry to hear about that and I hope that it doesn't happen again, but that is becoming very common around here and I fear will just get worse as the economy keeps going down hill. The unit in your picture would probably keep the less serious thieves out, but if they want in they will just break the window or use a portable cutting torch to cut the whole assembly out. And yes, that has happened here.

Ron

View my Miscellaneous Gallery
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Yea, your right. I know if SOB crook wants something they will get it.

I picked up Gregg "What's his name" from Dallas Love Field and we stopped at IHop for some breakfast. When we came out there was a car leaving that almost hit the passenger side of the truck. He had this """OHH ****""" look on his face.

We first thought it was because he almost hit the truck. We later figured out he was the crook that broke in. Yep he got away. I am sure our cameras' were in the pawn shop before we realized they were gone.

Damn crooks, they should hang them on the ten O'clock news.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:20 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

Neccesity is the mother of invention.

have at it Steve.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:56 AM
Beam Me Up Scottie
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1049 Titanium w/black stripes, 351W with Trick Flow Heads, Tremec 3550
Send a message via MSN to wtm442
Not Ranked     

GMMSG

Got a little dusting of the white stuff last night. Very dry and lightweight. About 8 inches of the stuff.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Steve,

You never left the cameras where they could be seen through the truck window did you? I never leave anything in my car that can be seen and take anything like cameras or stuff and put it in the trunk. At least if they can't see anything that takes the temptation away from the smash and grabbers. I also leave a big copy of my release from the Mental Institution on the seat in plain site with my NRA Lifetime membership badge and a note that the owner can lose control at the slightest provocation.

Ron

Old 03-02-2009, 09:07 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by trularin View Post
Neccesity is the mother of invention.

have at it Steve.

Yep, I'll bet I can come up with something that will work.
Of coarse them they will just tear the door up.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,
I am not sure what the crook saw to make him break into my truck. I guess it just looked like an easy target. It was in broad daylight and in a parking spot right on front of the door to the restaurant.

I had some very expensive binoculars and a power converter laying in the floorboard that did not get taken. So either he didn't see them (had to be blind) or we came out the door when he was inside the truck. I really don't know.

The alarm never went off either. It still works, but it didn't go off then. I have no idea why. I KNOW it was on.

Looks like it is time for a better alarm, an ignition bypass switch and some door lock rod shields.
Old 03-02-2009, 09:25 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Send a message via Yahoo to Joe Wicked
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RE KLR View Post
Ron,
I am not sure what the crook saw to make him break into my truck. I guess it just looked like an easy target. It was in broad daylight and in a parking spot right on front of the door to the restaurant.

I had some very expensive binoculars and a power converter laying in the floorboard that did not get taken. So either he didn't see them (had to be blind) or we came out the door when he was inside the truck. I really don't know.

The alarm never went off either. It still works, but it didn't go off then. I have no idea why. I KNOW it was on.

Looks like it is time for a better alarm, an ignition bypass switch and some door lock rod shields.
Steve,
What alarm do you have? I have the Clifford G5 in my Mustang and I have 0 complaints on it. I have it programmed to auto arm when I close the door. It also will disarm a specific sensor when it keeps going off (vibrations from being parked at the airport) while keeping everything else armed. It will try to re-arm that sensor after 1 hour, but if it still goes off, it will disarm again. Prevents draining of the battery. with everything it cost 2 times the amount as the previous alarm that did not go off when someone broke in, but it was worth the money. I got a good deal from Bedford Autosound. They are located in Bedford next to the Albertsons on 183. The manager is part of the Mustang club I belong to and they take care of a lot of the club members.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:37 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Well its in the trash now I took it off and threw the damn thing away. If it doesn't work I don't want to think it will sound off. I put it on the truck when I bought it in 01. It was set to arm when the truck door locks were locked. It was supposed to sound off if the doors were opened without the key or the remote.

The problem is when the crook pulled the lock rod inside the door the alarm could distinguish between that screwdriver or the key. A lot of good that does

I do not remember the name and over the years the sticker had come off of it. It wasn't much bigger than a single pack of cigarettes and plugged into the harness. It went out with the trash this morning.

I have looked at a few newer versions in the past. But hadn't felt like I needed a new one until now. Of coarse that is how it goes right?
Old 03-02-2009, 11:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

sent you a private message Steve with contact info for my guy. I won't take my car anywhere else and it is about an hour drive for me now. His prices are so good that I cannot even save any money by doing it myself. In fact the Stereo I have in my car, he had installed for less than I could have purchased the head unit anywhere else. It would have cost me more to do it myself.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Thanks Joe,

I got the PM and will give him a buzz.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Joe,

Would you have a link for that alarm system you have. My stuff is safe her at home as anyone that comes onto my property sets off the outside lights and they set off alarms. Garage and house is wired like Ft.Know. One of the dopers that started to jump the fence one morning about 3 AM left here screaming about ripping his hand open on the barb wire that I have wound around the top rail of my fence. Then the lights and alarms really sent them running. And they never got closer than 50' to the house. I heard one of them over telling the rest to avoid my place as that old bastard has it so you can't get within 50' without setting off lights and alarms and then he comes out with a gun. But that doesn't help the cars when I am away from the house. Thank Goodness I am down to just the one car now and that old Comet isn't worth stealing.

Ron

Old 03-02-2009, 05:52 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Ron,
Here is the alarm I have. http://www.clifford.com/Products/Pro...?ProductID=716 I have the older style remotes, but the same system. The one I have has impact sensor, glass break sensor (microphone), door open sensor, trunk pop, dual starter interrupt (even if you disconnect the alarm, you have to know were the 2nd interrupt is or the car will not start), and it is programmed to auto arm. I also got the data port installed, so the shop can hook up a laptop and change my programming without having to tear into the car. Even if I disarm it and walk away it will re-arm after a couple of minutes. When I get out of the car and close the door, it will chirp after 15 seconds and lock and arm after 30 seconds. I can disable auto arm by turning the ignition on and off quickly. The next time I start the car, auto arm will be re-enabled. This is helpful for gas stations. Valet mode is set by pressing a 2 buttons sequence on the remote, or by the valet switch. The valet switch is not a toggle, it is 2 buttons that you must "dial" the code in. Button one is the number, and 2 is enter. You program your own code. For code 34, you would press button 1 3 times, button 2 one time, button 1 4 times, button 2 1 time. This prevents anyone from not knowing the code to disarm it and you never have to give the valet/service center your remote. My version also allows for 2 accessories to be added http://www.clifford.com/Products/Accessories.aspx. I haven't added any though.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:21 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Joe,

That looks like a good system. Now to find out if it would work on an old junker like mine. I think the only reason anyone would break into my car is to steal it for obsolete parts.

Ron

Old 03-03-2009, 01:42 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Hey warren,

Here is a good friend for Turtle to play with. Wait until the 30 second commercial is over.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=6988764

Ron

Old 03-03-2009, 03:11 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Joe,

That looks like a good system. Now to find out if it would work on an old junker like mine. I think the only reason anyone would break into my car is to steal it for obsolete parts.

Ron
It'll work in anything. Some of the features or accessories may not apply, but it uses the dome light switch to sense if the door is opened.
Old 03-03-2009, 06:11 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Joe,

That is a good system and if my car was worth as much as it is, I would look at is seriously. But I guess the one advantage to being cheap and having an old worn out car is there isn't much demand for them. And since I never have anything in it that is worth stealing, no one seems to bother it. And they couldn't part it out because none of these old parts would work on anything else.

Ron

Old 03-03-2009, 06:23 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

If the alarm uses a remote arming device the signal can be captured and used against itself to un-arm the system.

That is what is wrong with the keyless systems on cars now. When you get out of the car and hit the remote to lock and arm the system, if a crook is "in-range" he can capture the signal and when you leave he can re-signal the alarm and open the door.

Remotes are a thing of the past as far as security goes. At least that is what I am being told.