Club Cobra Keith Craft Racing  

Go Back   Club Cobra > Manufacturers, Engine Builders, tools, and parts. > Shelby American, Inc.

MMG Superformance
Nevada Classics
MMG Superformance
Main Menu
Module Jump:
Nevada Classics
Nevada Classics
Keith Craft Racing
Keith Craft Racing
Advertise at CC
Banner Ad Rates
Keith Craft Racing
MMG Superformance
Keith Craft Racing
May 2024
S M T W T F S
      1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31  

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2009, 02:15 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default If I didn't laugh, I would cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Peaks View Post
Well, you seem to have a somewhat positive attitude about the whole thing, so at least they haven't killed your spirit (yet).

Hopefully, you'll be on the road soon and it will take the sting of job hunting off your mind and you can enjoy the driving season.

The more I hear these stories about the Shelby cars (yours isn't the first), the more I appreciate and would spend my money, if I had any, on a Kirkham. Hopefully, I will finish my car soon and see what all the fuss about driving one of these is all about.

I'm curious about the issues with the Wilwood rotors, but that is a discussion for another thread.

Bob
Hey Bob,
I am used to it (unfortunately). Seriously - my luck with cars is unbelievable - and no it is not my fault and it does not spread to cars that I have worked on or ones that belong to other people (although I have made my share of dumb or ignorant mistakes). It is my lot in my so I can either accept it and work harder (kind of like the fact that I am dyslexic) or curse the universe. Unfortunately My name is John and I have a problem. I have a car addiction and it truly fits the criteria of an addiction - I know it is bad for me but I can not help myself .

as far as driving a cobra -they look like sex on wheels. Are they all that (+/- a bag of chips) - not even close. Of all the cars I have driven and gotten rides in (including Carroll and Cleo's series 1 with a vortech and alcons) there are betetr rides (pick any criteria - faster, more comfortable, handle better.... although they are sexy and cool and fun). they are kind of like going out with a buxom bikini model. She looks great and can be a lot of fun but is high maintence, you gotta worry about when you take here out and leave her alone, she may not be a real conversationalist, sometimes attracts too much (and sometimes not the right kind of) attention.....I think you get the idea.

As far as the wilwoods are concerned - the way it was explained to me by an engineer (who had great credentials for hi po cars) who was the head driving instructor for Nor Cal SAAC, who wrote a dissertation on building race / track mustangs (that had to be pulled from public circulation due to concerns over legal liability in this wonderfully litigenous society) - has to do with the way wilwood (as opposed to coleman) casts their rotors and the warping that results from this technique. but you are correct that that is another topic for another thread.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:45 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2613 Titanium w/Black, Roush 402SR
Not Ranked     

John (SR),

Good to hear that you're nearly on the road again. After some shakedown runs (and inspections) on the streets of Santa Cruz, you'll have flight clearance for a good run over 17 or up Hwy 1 to Alice's for breakfast.

These cars are beautiful to look at, but try to get out put some serious miles on the odo. I don't care what brand you're running, it takes some miles to shake everything down and work out the kinks.

See you on the road sometime.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 03-24-2009 at 02:54 PM..
Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Wow, that was quite a read. A lot to digest as a perspective new Cobra buyer. Hopefully you will get to enjoy some trouble free miles now. Good luck!
Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4990-shelby 427
Not Ranked     

What was the cause of the sqeak in the rear and the sound of the driveshaft hitting? I think you said that was one of the initial problems.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby CSX4788 with a Dawkins performance 490 ci iron genesis block hydrualic roller
Not Ranked     
Default It's Alive

I got it all back together and took it for a little test cruise (~5 miles) on Hwy 17 (Mt Hermon Rd to the next exit Granite Creek / Scotts Valley Dr). Everything seems okay but I will put it on the lift and check it once it has cooled off.

It still squeeks but that is most likely rubber suspension parts that just need to be lubricated. The "drive shaft" noise is gone and I don't actually think it was ever the drive shaft since there was never any evidence when I put it on a lift and looked that it was hitting anything. My mechanic found a whole bunch of loose things in the rear suspension and tightened most of them when he was giving it the once over. I still have to get him to finish looking at it. Not cheap, but a trained eye is worth its weight in gold.

Doe any one know what the torque on the big nut on the back of the up right is supposed to be. We preloaded it to what specs we could find (which put the nut about where it was on the driver's side and a little past where it was on the passenger side) but the bearing still seem to have a little play when you garb the tire top and botton and try to move it in and out relative to each other.

Welcome to Club Cobra Balance_Point. They don't call it the largest unbiased source of cobra info for nothing. Every one has an opinion and you get a lot of knowledge fast.

I will take some more (longer and longer) trips and then re-inspect everything and hopefully call it good.
Old 03-25-2009, 06:59 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Glad you got it all squared away John. I was going to suggest you have the two alloy parts welded together before putting them back on but I didn't catch you in time.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 03-25-2009, 07:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Thanks

Thanks Sal,
used to be able to do a decent job sticking things together with a mig welder. Not sure if sticking the billet aluminum upright to the steel ball joint mounts would work. I also know so little about welding that do you have to worry about changing the temper when you are welding? It is back together for now but it will be a while before I trust it. Sad, but after being betrayed a couple of times, it hurts. Thanks again
John(;-)
Old 03-25-2009, 07:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX 4241 - authentically built
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby racer View Post
Thanks Sal,
used to be able to do a decent job sticking things together with a mig welder. Not sure if sticking the billet aluminum upright to the steel ball joint mounts would work. I also know so little about welding that do you have to worry about changing the temper when you are welding? It is back together for now but it will be a while before I trust it. Sad, but after being betrayed a couple of times, it hurts. Thanks again
John(;-)
Oh, didn't realize the upper mount was steel, thought both parts were alloy.

See my car at CSXinfo.net here >> CSX 4241
Old 03-25-2009, 07:33 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
I got it all back together and took it for a little test cruise (~5 miles) on Hwy 17 (Mt Hermon Rd to the next exit Granite Creek / Scotts Valley Dr). Everything seems okay but I will put it on the lift and check it once it has cooled off.

It still squeeks but that is most likely rubber suspension parts that just need to be lubricated. The "drive shaft" noise is gone and I don't actually think it was ever the drive shaft since there was never any evidence when I put it on a lift and looked that it was hitting anything. My mechanic found a whole bunch of loose things in the rear suspension and tightened most of them when he was giving it the once over. I still have to get him to finish looking at it. Not cheap, but a trained eye is worth its weight in gold.

Doe any one know what the torque on the big nut on the back of the up right is supposed to be. We preloaded it to what specs we could find (which put the nut about where it was on the driver's side and a little past where it was on the passenger side) but the bearing still seem to have a little play when you garb the tire top and botton and try to move it in and out relative to each other.

Welcome to Club Cobra Balance_Point. They don't call it the largest unbiased source of cobra info for nothing. Every one has an opinion and you get a lot of knowledge fast.

I will take some more (longer and longer) trips and then re-inspect everything and hopefully call it good.
John,

Great to hear you're out doing some short test runs. I'm taking a little sabbatical right now (), so I'm open for a mid-week drive.

After all you've been through with your car lately, lunch is on me in Davenport one day.

Email me when you're free.

No stop signs, speed limit - Nobody's gonna slow me down - Like a wheel, gonna spin it

Last edited by Got the Bug; 03-26-2009 at 06:31 AM..
Old 03-26-2009, 07:58 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default no worries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Oh, didn't realize the upper mount was steel, thought both parts were alloy.
I thought they were both billet when I looked at it the first time (which scarred me because in my little brain I thought that aluminum trying to hold a threaded fastener under that kind of load would be bad).
Old 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default How is next tuesday / wed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
John,

Great to hear you're out doing some short test runs. I'm taking a little sabbatical right now (), so I'm open for a mid-week drive.

After all you've been through with your car lately, lunch is on me in Davenport one day.

Email me when you're free.
Thanks Doug
I am actually working today and tommorrow, have an interview monday, so if you are free , lets try to go to Davenport next tues or wed?
John(;-)
Old 03-26-2009, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

John,

Did you isolate the CSX group of cars with this issue? Some folks that don't drive their "babies" (planters) may not know of the safety problems associated with the uprights. One would think a safety bulletin would be beneficial in preventing a serious accident for the affected cars.
Sal, "keeper of the marque" Menella, may be able to help in this area.
JMHO,
Bret.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:19 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Thanks Doug
I am actually working today and tommorrow, have an interview monday, so if you are free , lets try to go to Davenport next tues or wed?
John(;-)
Wednesday 4/1 works for me. Maybe I'll start a new thread to see if anyone else wants to come out for a mid-week drive and lunch.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default no way for me to tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by bret a ewing View Post
John,

Did you isolate the CSX group of cars with this issue? Some folks that don't drive their "babies" (planters) may not know of the safety problems associated with the uprights. One would think a safety bulletin would be beneficial in preventing a serious accident for the affected cars.
Sal, "keeper of the marque" Menella, may be able to help in this area.
JMHO,
Bret.
I have no way to tell what cars got what. I think that the original CAV design got a recall (that I never heard about) and were replaced. I think what my car has is what is current. Some 4700 series owners seemed to say that theirs just pulled off from the front. I think everyone should take a look, but I think the fasteners are loctited in so if you try and torque them too much you will HAVE to retorque them all. All of my fasteners were loose (some much worse than others andthe left side was not as bad as the right). I have to say that it really might be just my car that has had this particular problem based on my and its history. Still, better safe than sorry.
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got the Bug View Post
Wednesday 4/1 works for me. Maybe I'll start a new thread to see if anyone else wants to come out for a mid-week drive and lunch.
An Excellent idea. I doubt many people will be able to play hookey or get a hall pass, but it is worth a shot. We can finalize times and where to meet for the drive later. Go ahead and start a thread and let me know when you do.

Ya know, my neighbor has a cobra that I have never seen him drive in the two years I have lived here, maybe I can twist his arm
Old 03-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
An Excellent idea. I doubt many people will be able to play hookey or get a hall pass, but it is worth a shot.
I think you're right. Maybe the nice weather will lure some people out of the office for a quick run up the Coast and through the mountains.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:28 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Look-a-like cobra POS
Not Ranked     

Quote:
I have no way to tell what cars got what. I think that the original CAV design got a recall (that I never heard about) and were replaced. I think what my car has is what is current. Some 4700 series owners seemed to say that theirs just pulled off from the front. I think everyone should take a look, but I think the fasteners are loctited in so if you try and torque them too much you will HAVE to retorque them all. All of my fasteners were loose (some much worse than others andthe left side was not as bad as the right). I have to say that it really might be just my car that has had this particular problem based on my and its history. Still, better safe than sorry.

Just commenting on another CC post relating to CSX4785 -w- front upright problems.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA 'Street' Build
Not Ranked     

John,

Don't know if you remember me, but we met at the CC tour of Canepa car 'museum' in Scotts Valley last January. I remember looking at your car as we were leaving. Hopefully you can get it to run and drive as good as it looks and it sounds like you are at least making progress towards that end.

- Tim
Old 03-27-2009, 08:58 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default memory is the second thing to go, and I can't remember the first

It seems like people are trying to hang out tommorrow. Keep an eye peeled. I am sorry I don't remember, but always glad to talk cars.
John(;-)
Old 03-28-2009, 06:43 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

To who ever suggested that Shelby has no obligation to fix/pay/satisfy SR's problem; you are absolutely correct that if it is out of warranty they may have no legal obligation to do so assuming normal ordinary course malfunctions.

However, it is bad business. IMO, SAI could have saved themselves more $$$ than they spent fixed SR's problem in terms of new sales and resale value if SAI provided this story with a happy ending. Speaking as someone who is currently shopping for a Cobra, it is a black mark against SAI (fairly or unfairly). These are one-off, hand made, specialty toys - if you don't get adequate support from the dealer/manufacturer, why bother with SAI when you have a David Kirkham? or an ERA? Other?

This is not a bash and I have no axe to grind, but reputation still counts for a lot in the Cobra market especially.