The Italia loses at least once. 59 59.60%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

Kirkham Motorsports

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 12:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Hi Don. Launch control is ...... 3250 rpm. It's true that Launch Control is renamed Performance Start in the US, likely for liability reasons on the theory it encourages dangerous driving. Hate those damn lawyers. -Tom
Old 02-23-2011, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 184/482ci Shelby
Not Ranked     

NASA had rights to the name first.
Old 02-23-2011, 02:17 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Kirkham
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzforce View Post
Look I have been as fair as humanly possible with this bet, but the bottom line is we agreed and I have the texts to back it up that his car has to be "completely stock" and "bone stock like it comes off the showroom" are the exact texts. What Tommy doesn't realize is I didn't tune my car for racing, it wasn't even dynoed after they rebuilt the exact same carbs b/c they were leaking. I already explained to Tom that the "tuning" they did on my car is what all the computers in his fuel injected car do already. They did my alignment and balancing of my tires, they changed all fluids, and tightened up all nuts and bolts, replaced the engine dampner with the exact same one, and I have the reciept. They took 4 days just to do my alignment and have in no way shape or form been trying to go the extra mile for this race, a cat was ****ting in the parking lot the other day and I think that was of more interest than them working on my car. Bottom line is his altering the shift points in his computer is 1000% altering the car and it's current computer settings and might even void the warranty.
I am aware of the Original Bet between tommy and dan, if tommy alters the Ferrari in Any way from stock - showroom cond, he has crossed the line and forfeited the Bet ..period. Dan has not altered the Cobra in any way, other than fixing the leaking carbs he informed me of, or repairing - tuning any part on the Cobra not in hi performance working order - worn clutch, agreed to tires, alignment, dampner etc..
Old 02-23-2011, 02:34 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Ferrari 458 Italia (not quite a Cobra)
Not Ranked     

Otomix - thanks, but as a person who wasn't involved in any way in the discussions (and also who believes strongly in Dan's car) you're in a really poor position to say things like you know that if I do a certain thing I "forfeit" the bet, "period". Dan and I are completely capable of laying out the terms of the bet. -Tom
Old 02-23-2011, 03:04 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Wow! I just did a Google search under "p***ing contest" and it referenced this thread!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA Street Roadster #782 with 459 cu in FE KC engine, toploader, 3.31
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrysSPF View Post
The terms of this bet are absolutlely killing Dan. I don't know what clutch was in the car originally (I'm sure it was decent), but a car with that kind of power needs as heavy duty of a clutch as he can get.
I know that Keith like McLeod clutches and pressure plates because that is what he recommended and supplied for mine. But my build is pretty mild compared to the monster that is apparently in Dan's car so he may have stuck something else in there.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygold View Post
Otomix - thanks, but as a person who wasn't involved in any way in the discussions (and also who believes strongly in Dan's car) you're in a really poor position to say things like you know that if I do a certain thing I "forfeit" the bet, "period". Dan and I are completely capable of laying out the terms of the bet. -Tom
Tom - Is that how lawyers muddy the waters when they don't like the direction a third party takes a conversation?

Do you just move to discredit their argument?

Are you worried that you can't manipulate both Dan & Otomix at the same time?

The devil is certainly in the details.
The terms, conditions and parameters of this bet are becoming stifling.
There are more * points & clauses than my insurance policy, and this from a "simple" bet!

Thanks for the lesson in - How to cover your ass and look good doing it!

Tom - Well played indeed!

Dan - Get yourself another lawyer for this one, Tom already has a conflict of interest.

Otomix - I read it as you have, but from 8500 miles away. I don't think the lawyers will credit my humble opinion.

Last edited by Dimis; 02-23-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Old 02-23-2011, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

Hmmmmmmm.......

Seems to me that unless you have a horse in the race...well, you know.

Old 02-23-2011, 05:09 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

Jamo, i generally think you are correct, but maybe in this case it's appropriate to say that an interested third-party thinks TommyG is stretching the definition of "tune."
Old 02-23-2011, 05:25 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

It has become obviously and abundantly clear that Tom is just trying to gain every possible advantage possible at the cost of fairness and his reputation as an upstanding guy. He totally ****ed me on my tires, he ****ed me by changing the race date w no penalty(my dad can't make it and wasted a flight), I allowed him to **** me on the tree, and he totally ****ed me by telling me like 8 times that he couldn't use launch control and automatic(and based on this I negotiated a terrible tire proposal thinking he would go a lot slower in vegas). All this being said he will not be ****ing me by modifying his car, the cars computer or anything related in any way shape or form from how he bought it. It is undisputed that we agreed and I have the texts to back it up that his car was to be "bone stock like it comes off the showroom". No one with a brain who knows anything about cars would interpret this as its ok to mess with the computer to change shift points, it's clearly cheating. How much of an edge do you need, I mean u already don't even have to drive your car??
Old 02-23-2011, 05:28 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

fastd

I think the concern had more to do with how the point was made. An opinion's one thing...

Just want to keep everything nice and breezy.

Old 02-23-2011, 06:24 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA, 351W
Not Ranked     

jamo, got ya. By the way, I agree with your civics lesson the other day.
Old 02-23-2011, 06:44 PM
Super Moderator
Visit my Photo Gallery
Lifetime Contributor

Not Ranked     

hehehe...
Old 02-23-2011, 08:03 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     
Default tommy I am not in a poor position - no bet term change

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommygold View Post
I believe strongly in Dan's car as KC built the car for me. So I am in a strong position of knowledge - the Cobra will run quicker without issue if Dan can drive and the car is prepared properly. Either way, I also like to see the Bet is legit, KC gets some high fives and yah all adhire to original terms per agreement.....these types of bets also seem to change and have issues.......so the Ferrari should race as showroom - stock - as delivered to dealer via manufacture. I agree you and Dan are capable of laying out the terms of this bet and others....and too bad U 2 declined to help offset a few costs for a 1st class HD film production of the event --- a little 3k ???
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF#1245 w/ 1966 427 SO
Not Ranked     

Dan- It sounds to me that you've been ALLOWING yourself to get ****ed. From what I've gathered through reading everything here, you've made some boneheaded negotiations along the way. Your car is lighter and more powerful than his, but you have to get that power to the pavement - yet you allowed him to tell you that you couldn't make a tire change. At that point your only chance was for him to blow the start and then you tell him you won't use a tree.
-I've been scratching my head wondering what you've been thinking all along!

However, I WILL tell you that I think you have a case in one instance. If you did indeed agree not to change tires based on information that Tom gave you regarding his automatic trans not being able to work with his traction control (but it DOES work and he plans on using it that way), then THAT agreement should be null and void based on faulty or misleading information.
Trust me.................a tire change is your only chance dude, and even THAT is not a guaranteed 1 win. I'd fight him on that if I were you.

Last edited by TerrysSPF; 02-23-2011 at 08:13 PM..
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     
Default Tommy and/or Blitz, how about some help?

The "bet" has changed so many times that I'm hoping you'll clear the fog for me and whoever else might not be able to get a good grip on it. How about writing out the full details of the conditions and limitations in one post. It would be nice if you don't modify it further after you post, but since it's y'all's bet, you'd be free to do so.

I've held off "voting" in the poll just so I can get a better grasp of what the latest version of "the bet" is, a bit of clarification here might just clear up the muddy waters.

Thanks!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:29 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

It's a race! Dan can do this, his car is capable, his tires can do it, it's just a matter of it all coming together.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:47 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
It's a race! Dan can do this, his car is capable, his tires can do it, it's just a matter of it all coming together.
I did a lot of racing in "track and field" during high school and college....the winner of the race is the first to the finish line, not the one who dallied at the start and then posted the best time over the course.

With the change in "rules" of the bet that determined they would base the winner on ET only, it lost it's status as a "race" to me. Now, it's just a spitting match between two "egomaniacs" (for lack of a better term)....although, I must admit, quite an entertaining spitting match! While I'm enjoying it here on the forum, unless they agree that the first to the finish line is the winner, it's just an exercise in manipulation to me.

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:09 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Superformance
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by YerDugliness View Post
With the change in "rules" of the bet that determined they would base the winner on ET only, it lost it's status as a "race" to me. Now, it's just a spitting match between two "egomaniacs" (for lack of a better term)....although, I must admit, quite an entertaining spitting match! While I'm enjoying it here on the forum, unless they agree that the first to the finish line is the winner, it's just an exercise in manipulation to me.

Cheers from Dugly
+1. Well stated. Too bad I won't have the opportunity to meet these two "competitors" in person, because I'd love that opportunity to change my personal opinion of them. Such is the Internet, a hollow portal into the lives (and personalities) of others. I hope you two enjoy your little competition, and thanks for making the bench racing marginally entertaining.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: FFR
Not Ranked     

Personally, I find this thread a heck of a lot more interesting than a spitting match and appreciate the fact that the participants have shared it with us. Judging by the number of posts/views, I am not alone. If you don't like it, feel free to move on and let the rest of us enjoy it. Cheers.
Thomas