Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 03:40 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Some polish thing... With some old engine
Not Ranked     

A couple ways to answer...

1) Of course its real... You're not imagining it!

2) No... Its an SPF or Backdraft or ERA or Shelby continuation, etc... Whatever...

3) Thank God No!
'cos it wouldn't go half as well as this!

or,
My favorite & one I can hopefully answer with in future...

4) Its better! Its a Kirkham!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:42 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: KMP 539, a Ton of Aluminum
Not Ranked     

Here are a couple threads from 2008.

Best response to, "Is that an original?"

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82801

Continuation CSX a "Kit car"?

http://clubcobra.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88012
Old 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Elegant Motors
Not Ranked     

I love when people ask me about the car and building it. I love talking about the ups and downs, the 8 years of it. Most men are impressed that a woman owns and worked on the car. But there is a difference in asking questions because they are interested or putting value based upon the words KIT car.
Sorry Paul, I do not need my ego stroked, I do not have any insecurities about it.
I just like to have some witty reply handy for the jackass that pulls up next to me.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Understood. I've not experienced anyone with limited mental capacity when being asked the 'is it real' question. I have had a few people that hate me for owning a roadster. They flip me a salute or curse me. But the kit thing has always been friendly.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:22 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: superformance/427 fe ford
Not Ranked     

i'm always asked "is it real?" i respond no it's a flying carpet made to look like a cobra. or yes , it is a real car.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:26 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Elegant Motors
Not Ranked     

Thanks RodKnock, I couldn't find anything about it before I posted. I laughed out loud at most of the stuff on there. I think I will stick with the Of course its real... You're not imagining it! But if there is geninue interest I will be more than happy to elaborate.
Maybe the key at the red lights is to turn the music up and rev the engine and enjoy the ride!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: None, sold it
Not Ranked     

What amazes me is that adults ask that question incorrect almost every time.

"Is it real"? Hell yes it is, you are looking at it aren't you. It is not a figment of your imagination.

As I stated in one of the posts from last year (I think), A 14-15 year old neighbor came by a while back and asked it like this "Is that an original Shelby Cobra"?

If a 14-15 year old can ask it correctly, why cant adults?

When I am asked "is it real", my answer is "it is not an original Cobra, it's a replica".
Then if their face turns to that disgusted look, that is not the type of person that I want to associate with anyway.

All and all I have had a good experience. Like it was posted earlier, most people (guys mostly) just want to know whats under the hood and how does it drive.

I did not get this REPLICA to impress anyone. I got it because I like the looks of these cars and I sure cant afford an original.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:30 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

To be honest I got so tired of the attention at a light I simply look straight or play with the Ipod. Gas stations are another pain, when asked what it is I say a replica when they ask how much I say the kit is $14,500 and you can have it built and driving like this for about $17K, they get all excited.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:39 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleiss75 View Post
Maybe the key at the red lights is to turn the music up and rev the engine and enjoy the ride!
You have audio in your Cobra ?

Actually, I do, too, but only b/c it was in the car when I bought it. I usually wear hearing protection when I drive the Cobra, so the audio system is purely for times when I'm parked, like at the beach.

As for the "Is it real?" question, my most common answer is "Yes, it's real, I drive it almost every day." Once we've traveled the road of self-discovery to the destination where the questioner realizes the appropriate question is "Is it an original Shelby?", I tell them:

1. Original Shelbys are not driven on the street for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that insurance is astronomical (because it is very difficult to find original replacement parts) IF one could find a company willing to insure it at all (b/c of the extremely high values).

2. Thank goodness it's not an original, my replica actually performs better and handles better than most of the originals b/c of the improved technologies available these days.

Then I ask them (for some reason they are usually young ladies in the 20-30 year old range) if they have a cell phone. If the answer is "yes", I offer to have them sit in the driver's seat and I take a photo of them with their own cell phone. They all leave with a huge smile on their face !!

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-23-2011, 05:05 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: csx4163 full comp alu. body
Not Ranked     

Tell them its a volkswagon and then rev the motor up.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:56 PM
Stolen Avitar
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: BDR 1311 428PI
Not Ranked     

F75, with your car I'd just tell them what it really is. By that I mean it's not really a kit, its a 19XX Corvette with a cooler looking body. It'd be much simpler.

Steve
Old 02-23-2011, 07:00 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul F View Post
So what? What does that have to do with their question? Their question is, 'is it a 196x Cobra' ; the answer is 'no' with no further embellishment. If the question is 'is that a real Cobra or a kit car'. The answer is 'it's a kit car'.

That tells them everything they want to know. Anything else is just you feeding your insecurities. It changes nothing about what they want to know or care about. The fact that you have some brilliantly built replica is of no interest to them; only to you.
I don’t have one yet, so I’m looking forward to the day when I can respond to the ‘real or kit’ question.
However…it’s not as simple as 'it’s either a real Shelby Cobra or it’s a kit'.
If it's a turnkey ERA or a Kirkham from KeithCraft or a Superformance from Olthoff’s, then it’s not a kit.
I think the ‘replica of a Shelby Cobra’ line is the best compromise.
Or... yes it's a real 427 (if it's got one under the hood)
Or ...yes it's a 428 Cobra Jet (if ...etc)
That's accurate isn't it?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:24 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Sure, you can answer any way you want. Tell 'em its real. Who cares. But I'm wondering why people have such a problem with this question. Why do people bring this up? I'm not picking on the Fleiss, I'm wanting to understand in general why people feel the need to have a witty or prepared response.

Once again, your getting into your world, not the person that is asking the question. They don't know or care about Kirkham vs Superformance vs the others. All they want to know is if they are seeing a 196x Cobra. That's all. Anything else is your need to serve your needs, not answer their question. So if you feel better by saying it is a replica rather than saying it's a kit, go ahead, but what is motivating you to do so? Why can't you simply answer 'its a kit' or 'no, its not real'.

I assume it is ego or pride that prevents people from giving a simple answer to a simple question.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:33 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     
Default $$$

Most people asking don't care anything about the cars and their history, just how much money you have spent, that's why they ask. They see the high dollar Cobras on BJ and want to be able to tell their friends they seen one. The Cobra guys who don't ask already know or can figure it out for themselves and not insult you. That's just my opinion....
Old 02-23-2011, 08:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     
Default Cobra Question

The only question I ever get is who manufactured your kit? Never is it real, I guess I have gone to far what with the 18" wheels but who cares!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:13 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF 2932 with 438 Lykins Motorsports engine. Previous owner of FFR 5452.
Not Ranked     

I have to disagree with a lot of the responses. When people ask if the car is a "real" cobra I think they are hoping they can tell all their buddies that they have actually seen an original 60 something Shelby cobra. And, yes, they are disappointed a little bit but ultimately they usually lavish compliments on the quality of the car. Who cares what anyone thinks about our cars. We take great pains to make our cars look like an original so why get all indignant when somebody is fooled and wants to know if it is "real" or a knock off. When all is said and done, you are still driving the coolest car in the universe.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:23 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Classic revival kit (CR3181), gen III engine, T56 6 speed box, AU XR8 lsd diff
Send a message via Yahoo to boxhead
Not Ranked     

Mine is a Replica Cobra, I built it myself, I dont have the spare money to buy a genuine 60's Cobra.

And I agree that I have more fun in my "tupperware" car than I could in a genuine one.

Cruising in 5th

---------------------------------------------
Never be afraid to do something new, Remember, Amateurs built the Ark: Professionals built the Titanic.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:51 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxhead View Post
Mine is a Replica Cobra, I built it myself, I dont have the spare money to buy a genuine 60's Cobra.

And I agree that I have more fun in my "tupperware" car than I could in a genuine one.
But we would take a real one for a spin with a big cheesy grin, if offered.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:11 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2108
Not Ranked     

Paul F: You're right. Saying "replica of a Shelby Cobra" rather than "kit car" is probably for my own benefit.

"Kit car" just sounds cheesy to me, conjuring images of thin fiberglass on a VW pan, drum brakes, chirping up the street (that chirping is the exhaust note from that 1800cc air-cooled opposing cylinder engine).

Whereas my Cobra "replica" has a square tube frame, IRS, disc brakes, 5-speed and plenty of horses---having more in common with a vintage race car than a "kit car" (as described above).

So, you're right. I must be vain or insecure because I would like people to walk away with a correct understanding of what they are looking at when they examine my car.

DD

"You're kidding, right?"
Old 02-23-2011, 11:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: DRB (australia)
Not Ranked     

every car is a "replica" of the origional
Closed Thread