Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2011, 11:19 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Just be honest,

It's a Superformance,FFR, Kirkham, fill-in-the-name Cobra. That answer is going to satisfy 75-80% of the people that ask the question, because they have no knowledge of what the originals were.

If you are at a car show, those in the know, will know the maker's name, and appreciate the car, for what it is.

The other 10-15% will keep on puzzling about it, at which point, you can always throw in some technical information, about your fuel or oiling system, to confuse them further.

Some of them may be sufficiently confused as to pretend to understand, what you just said
Old 02-24-2011, 12:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal Gerace View Post
Most people asking don't care anything about the cars and their history, just how much money you have spent, that's why they ask. They see the high dollar Cobras on BJ and want to be able to tell their friends they seen one. The Cobra guys who don't ask already know or can figure it out for themselves and not insult you. That's just my opinion....
Just because some yob wants to pidgeon hole you by what your car's worth, doesn't mean you have to answer within the 'parameters' they set...

Glen
Old 02-24-2011, 07:02 AM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Everett-Morrison, 347 Tri-power Stroker
Not Ranked     

I usually just say that's it highly unlikely that you would see an original Cobra at a car show or cruise night. That there were only a few made (assuming we're talking about an "427 SC" which is what you see the most), and those are in museums or vintage race events.

Then I start pointing out the most obvious visual clues to tell most replicas from an original; lug nuts, engines, interiors, etc.

The person comes away a little better informed, I get to talk "cars" and we both win.

- Dan
Old 02-24-2011, 07:05 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcrist View Post
As I stated in one of the posts from last year (I think), A 14-15 year old neighbor came by a while back and asked it like this "Is that an original Shelby Cobra"?
You were lucky to have encountered such a well-informed teenager. Recently I posted a photo of my replica on a musically oriented forum, one of the younger members (a teenager from Canada) complimented me on the car and then asked if it had a "...three on the tree" .

I ALMOST laughed .....

Cheers from Dugly

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-24-2011, 08:08 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates (2001)
Not Ranked     

What i get the most is"what is it"......i dont have the sidepipes or the roll bars or the hood scoop or even the side vents and that really throws people off....so i tell them its a replica of an AC and that really throws them off....but in the end i tell them that they could own one themselves.....
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

I tell them it is a factory built replica, and give them an SPF brochure that explains how the car is delivered if they want one. I have a pile of them in my trunk. When you say kit people think you built it in your garage.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:02 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: B&B 427 Stroked Windsor TKO 600 w/3.50 posi 9"
Not Ranked     

Many of us did build it in our garage, it's the only way I could control the quality myself!

I myself consider that a plus.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF1715, Roush Built 434 ci Stroker, Dart Block, Ported AFR 205 Heads... 561 hp / 547 tq, Former Roush Show Car, Completed and Prepped By Olthoff Racing.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by lnfletcher View Post
Many of us did build it in our garage, it's the only way I could control the quality myself!

I myself consider that a plus.
My point is that if you tell them it is a kit, when it was delivered as a roller they will then start asking questions about building it. When they find out you can buy a complete vehicle from a factory and have another company install the powertrain most are surprised. Like others have said, "kit" to most people conjure up images of a bunch of parts in your garage. That's not how my car was delivered.
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA FIA #2119
Not Ranked     

When they ask if it is a "kit car" I look at them give a little smile and say "it use to be, now it's real"
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CCX-3-3624, 351w, 5-speed
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhv48 View Post
I have to disagree with a lot of the responses. When people ask if the car is a "real" cobra I think they are hoping they can tell all their buddies that they have actually seen an original 60 something Shelby cobra. And, yes, they are disappointed a little bit but ultimately they usually lavish compliments on the quality of the car. Who cares what anyone thinks about our cars. We take great pains to make our cars look like an original so why get all indignant when somebody is fooled and wants to know if it is "real" or a knock off. When all is said and done, you are still driving the coolest car in the universe.
My thoughts exactly, Jim. My experience has been that 99% of the people who ask about my car are truly curious if it is a car from the 60's. Even after learning it is a replica, they are still in awe and love the car. I have actually had the opposite happen on a few occasions with people not believing it is a replica. As far as I am concerned, the attention and the questions are part of the charm of these cars.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:35 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Cobra Auto Works body, Ron Godell Racecars chassis, 1989 Mustang GT 5.0 HO (converted to carb), W/C T-5, 3.73's in a Ford 9" Traction-Loc.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by azfordman View Post
As far as I am concerned, the attention and the questions are part of the charm of these cars.
Agreed, but I'm sorta with Max on this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxx View Post
To be honest I got so tired of the attention at a light I simply look straight or play with the Ipod. Gas stations are another pain....
Quite often the intent of those who try to gain my attention at the stoplight is to see who can be first to the next stoplight, a game which I do not play. I do smile and give a friendly wave at those who are taking photos with their cameras or cell-phones .

Most of the time, though, I really feel the questions at the gas station come from a position of misinformation at the least, or perhaps no information. I find that many who ask "...the question" are totally unaware that there is a "kit-car industry" out there. Once they find out what the original Shelby cars are worth, they are even more interested in finding out about replicas in general and our roadster replicas in particular. I can see the dream in their eyes when I tell them that I paid no more for what they see me driving than what they might have paid for the car they are driving, and often less.

There IS something primal about the stance, the "look" of our beasts. It stirs desire in the heart and the soul. There are BOUND to be questions from those who feel that lust stirring within themselves. For me, it's not an issue of ego, not an issue of pride, it's more a quest to educate those who ask "....the question". There is no need for us to reply with anger or disgust, as I have found that to a person those who ask "....the question" are not interested in insulting us, they are truly curious and just don't realize that we hear ".....the question" SO MANY TIMES that it brings about in us a momentary impulse to "strike back". They simply didn't know.....

Cheers from Dugly
Jaydee likes this.

No names were changed to protect the innocent!
Old 02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: CSX4300, C5AE-H, Toploader
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
Just because some yob wants to pidgeon hole you by what your car's worth, doesn't mean you have to answer within the 'parameters' they set...

Glen
I do my best to educate people when they ask about my car or Cobras for that matter. My car fools a lot of people, looks real close to a sixties car. If someone is really interested I enjoy talking Cobras. Maybe a little too long winded at times....
Old 02-24-2011, 05:18 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: COX 6111 - '66 "AC 289 Sports."
Not Ranked     

It's a free country, so anyone can say whatever they want to in response to an inquiry about their car. If an owner chooses to lie about the origins of his vehicle, that's his decision, although it makes me question the pride of ownership he feels, or more likely the lack thereof. What is the big deal about being honest when asked " THE QUESTION?" If it's that big a deal, you can always keep the thing in your garage, or just drive it rather than stop where someone can ask what apparently is seen as an insulting question. I always view the question as evidence of someone's curiosity, rather than an affront. Similarly, I can only chuckle when one feels compelled to say, "No, it's not a 60's Cobra; it's much better, because I have improved upon that old P.O.S."!" Which is a bit like saying, "No, this Picasso on my kitchen wall is not an original; it's much better, since it is made of improved materials and has more vibrant color." Hey, say whatever floats your boat, but it's debatable that misleading people because it makes you feel better does you any favors in the long run.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:36 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF / FE428
Not Ranked     

Its unReal
Old 02-24-2011, 05:38 PM
CC Member/Contributor
Visit my Photo Gallery
Gold Star Contributor

Cobra Make, Engine: 70 Shelby convertible, ERA-FIA, 66 mustang convertible, mystery Ford powered 2dr convertible
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
If it's a turnkey ERA or a Kirkham from KeithCraft or a Superformance from Olthoff’s, then it’s not a kit.

Yes, it is a kit, turn key or not......Even a CSX continuation series car starts off as a "turn key minus",making it, come on you can do it, a kit car

I'll leave the rest of you to argue the finer points.

Bill S.

First time Cobra buyers-READ THIS
Old 02-24-2011, 05:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I disagree that people are just asking "the question" most of the time to find out if it is an original. I have had people come up to me when I have had one of my high end boats in tow and ask straight out how much it cost. If I felt like being a smart ass I would reply "probably more than your house". IMO alot of people are obsessed with the value of things and don't understand it is rude to ask someone what something cost. My.02
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmustang View Post
Yes, it is a kit, turn key or not......Even a CSX continuation series car starts off as a "turn key minus",making it, come on you can do it, a kit car ...

Bill S.
That has been debated for a long time. But judges Rogers, Walsh, and Bergsman put it to bed in a ruling where they said:

"In the early 1990s, Shelby also began to produce
“continuation” models or his particular replicas of
original Cobras, including the Cobra 427 S/C, also
principally in the form of kits. Shelby continued to do so
at least through the trial in this case in 2009."
Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Factory Five, 302 powerdyne supercharged
Not Ranked     

Most of the questions I get are while I'm at work. I usually come right out and say its a kit and has a lot of Mustang running gear. I mention the kit comes with a frame, body, interior, gauges, etc. My roadster is on the lower end of the scale in terms of price and when others guess what I paid they are usually blown away.

If I'm feeling frisky I say, "I'm flipping burgers here and your asking me if it's original?" You see, I work at a 50's style burger joint.

The thing I find most interesting when talking to strangers is how many people say, "I knew a guy that had 2 of them in the 70's," or something like that. With all the people in my town of Portland, Oregon saying they knew someone with a cobra it makes me think that of the 1000 sold in the 60's, 950 of them must be in Portland.
Old 02-24-2011, 05:52 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

They just want to know if it's original or not. I tell 'em it's "Fake" and just smile. They still give me the thumbs up.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:44 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

I suppose answering, "It's real and it's spectacular!" is out of the question?

My SBF Austin-Healey build:
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,8264
Closed Thread