Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Delete. Deleted.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:10 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: AP 289FIA 'English' spec.
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOERA-SC7XX View Post
They just want to know if it's original or not. I tell 'em it's "Fake" and just smile. They still give me the thumbs up.
I like that - it answers their question honestly, probably with what they wanted to hear anyway, but still leaves them wondering if you're pulling their chain.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:22 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb-60 View Post
I like that - it answers their question honestly, probably with what they wanted to hear anyway, but still leaves them wondering if you're pulling their chain.
Tempered by the fact that at this point in time, my only Cobras are a Scalextric 289FIA slot car, an Exoto 1:18 scale 260 slabside, and a GMP 1:12 289FIA, nothing bigger but I certainly aspire to a bigger one, I'm modifying my ideal response to "Yair mate, it's a cheap fake."
This would work OK if it's a kit, a turnkey, or CSX2080 that I might have just bought at auction. Bottom line, I agree, is we don't want to take ourselves too seriously, we just want to enjoy for ourselves whatever level of ownership we have.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:41 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine:
Not Ranked     

Get used to it,the questions always seem to come from people who do not have a clue.I always answer,this car is better than original more powerful motor,state of the art suspension,better brakes,not afraid to upgrade anything, and I own it.Sometimes when I know they have no clue I will answer,What do you think! as I'm letting out the clutch.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: SPF2984 MK111, Roush 511 IR FE 8 Stack, Dynoed: [flywheel] 572HP at 6000 , 556# Torque at 4700, Bowler 4R70W Auto Transmision. Tires: Mickey T's S/R 26.0x10.0x15.0 F ,26.0x12.0x15.0 R Color, Bleck, because they told me it was Bleck, at the factory.
Not Ranked     
Default OK here goes, this will be my reply if and when asked.....

now that's providing I get my car sometime soon, since there are now fit and finish issues with the engine and the new delivery date is late March early April.....

Is it real?......

"No, its not an original 1965 Cobra if that's what you are asking, I cannot afford one of those since they go for about 4 million bucks, whereas this Cobra is a 2010 Superformance replica and only costs me US$130,000, its got a 511cu inch engine rated at 573HP with 556 pounds of torque and can take any car on the road."

Now, if that don't gobsmack them, they're idiots.

Cheers, John, AKA, tin-man

Last edited by tin-man; 02-25-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Old 02-25-2011, 05:46 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

I'm approaching 80,000 miles and ten years with this car. I've been asked that question more than I can count and I can only remember a handful that asked the question in a derogatory manner. Even then, I would never respond like a pompous p***k. I think that the majority of the people are asking the question for a simple confirmation... If it's real, you're one lucky bastard. If it's not, a car that nice is possibly within my reach. My conversations typically go like this...

"is it real?"
"no, it's a replica"
"wow, thats' nice. did you build it?"
bla, bla, bla...

Last edited by TButtrick; 02-25-2011 at 05:52 AM..
Old 02-25-2011, 07:10 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: 2002 Superformance w/392 stroker
Not Ranked     

"Is it real? Is it real?"

I don't let this question bother me. Just about everyone asks this question sincerely.

Most people don't realize just how rare and valuable original 427 Cobras are today, and that the odds of seeing one on the road are virtually nil. Those who do are just trying to figure out whether they've actually made such a once-in-a-lifetime "spotting."

Some people know someone else who is building a Cobra replica, so they often wonder if they're seeing the finished version of the same kit.

If nothing else, these questions show me that someone is interested in my car and gives me an opening to tell them a bit about Cobras and Superformance replicas.
Old 02-27-2011, 01:49 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6046 S/C 427 (482) Shelby CSX1006
Not Ranked     

Is a 2011 Mustang Shelby GT500 a replica? If no, why not, if yes why?
Old 02-27-2011, 04:20 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Unique 427SC 383 stroker
Not Ranked     

No more so than a '69 Mustang is a replica of a '67. Same company, same model, different year, different car. Replica/kit cars are a different matter entirely.

I know what you're getting at with the Shelby continuation cars. However, you still can't compare current production models from an auto manufacturer in continuous operation with Shelby who decided to start making component copies of a car he used to manufacture as an entirely different entity back in the sixties. They are indeed Shelby Cobras, but they are also replicas of the originals. Not bad, not good - just the way it is.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference. -(wasn't me)

BEWARE OF THE DOGma!! Dogmatism bites...

Last edited by Buzz; 02-27-2011 at 04:30 PM..
Old 02-27-2011, 04:45 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Shelby American CSX6046 S/C 427 (482) Shelby CSX1006
Not Ranked     

Yes and no. Being my age I have had alot of those cars, a L-88 Vette, a 67 GT500, a Superformance (1787), a 2010 427 Shelby S/C and more. The are what they are. Why represent them as a replica to anything? My Superformace was just that, a Superformance, great car that I put 13K on without a snag. When ever I am ask what it is, man up and tell them. Now, the current Shelby I have is just that, a 2010 Shelby 427 S/C, thats it........what else would you need to say? If you want to drive a Shelby Cobra, buy a Shelby. If you want to drive a Superformace etc, buy it, but be honest.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:48 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery
Original Shelby Owner

Cobra Make, Engine: Purchased CSX3225 in 1968 for $4,995. Original 428 car but changed to 427 MR about 20 years ago.
Not Ranked     

The last few years I have been asked more times which replica or what is it. I find there are folks that really know what a cobra is and assume it's a replica and those that know nothing about the car and think it's an old Corvette, Austin Healey, etc. Even when they ask if it's real they don't expect a yes answer. I am not offended if folks think it's a replica or whatever since the reason they usually ask is they think the car is cool. Now don't get me wrong it's fun to have and original and be able to say that when asked.
Old 02-27-2011, 04:59 PM
Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 289 FIA #2100 Rio Red Wimbledon White Stripes 302 stroked to 331 Webers Richmond Road Race 5 speed
Not Ranked     

I think we get hung up on the Kit Car thing because it brings back memories of an exotic car body bolted to a VW Bug floor pan. All show and no go. My response to "is it real?" no it's a replica, or if they ask "is it a kit?" I'll answer yes. Most of the time they will come back with "it looks real to me" and I thank them for the nice compliment.
Old 02-27-2011, 05:43 PM
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: S C Motorcars
Not Ranked     

Maybe it's the area that I live in? If I hear "great looking car" or "I love your car" it's positive talk, but if the first think out of their mouth is "kit car" then I hear the negative in their voice and they almost always start talking down with the kit car talk.

Lester
Old 02-27-2011, 05:47 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Hunter - 427
Not Ranked     
Default Kit and proud of it

I always let them know its a kit. And I'm proud of it, I built this car from the ground up by myself. I do refer to it as a replica myself. Even after learning that it's a replica I always get great compliments and it's still just gel coat. Never once a negative. The most asked question to me is what's the name of that car, twice this weekend, I just say its a Cobra and leave it at that. Some seem more impressed that I built my own car.
Old 02-27-2011, 06:14 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

yes, its a kit
yes, I built it
no, I didn't paint it
I built it to replicate an AC Cobra

Now I'm sure I'll be hearing from a lawyer.
I'm locked and loaded
Old 02-27-2011, 08:31 PM
Senior ClubCobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: LA Exotics
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by TButtrick View Post
yes, its a kit
yes, I built it
no, I didn't paint it
I built it to replicate an AC Cobra

Now I'm sure I'll be hearing from a lawyer.
I'm locked and loaded
No worries. AC Cobra is not a registered trademark in the States.

Number............Word Mark......Live/Dead....Abandoned
78097067...........AC COBRA..........DEAD.........2002
78075264...........AC COBRA..........DEAD.........2002
77164686...........AC COBRA..........DEAD.........2008

So here is your chance to register it!
Old 02-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Member of the north
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: A Cobra
Not Ranked     

First, this thread is a "heart ache" for many people as the term kit seems to imply "put part A into part B".

There is NOTHING kit about my car.

I do believe there are cars that maybe "kits", but unless you own one of those, at best you have a tribute car or replica.

When asked, "Is that there one of them kit cars?" You may be inclined to ask. "does it matter?"

Just my opinion...worth nothing to many.

Old 03-01-2011, 02:45 AM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Not Ranked     

Just flicking through ...umm, 'somebodys' book, and inside the rear cover is a good reply.. "a genuine fake"
Old 03-03-2011, 02:16 PM
CC Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: Midstates, 545 stroker
Not Ranked     

I actually disagree with Paul. My car is not a "kit" car. A "kit" is that plastic model you buy at hobby lobby that comes with instructions telling you to put part A into part B. My car is in no way like that. I "assembled" my car from the pieces I chose with the mechanical knowledge and skill that I had and acquired. Midstates supplied me with a body and frame...I took it from there. Calling it a "kit" minimizies all the hardwork and long hours that went into building it. I guess by the same token we could call all the cars circling the track on Sunday "kit" cars right? I mean Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota didn't build those. A bunch of guys in a garage did. What's the difference? I don't care what someone else's perception of my car is, I know the truth; and the truth is that it is NOT a kit...it is a replica and that is what I refer to it as.
Old 03-03-2011, 05:10 PM
Senior Club Cobra Member
Visit my Photo Gallery

Cobra Make, Engine: ERA 427 SC s/n 718, 428 FE
Not Ranked     

Quote:
Originally Posted by imfastrnu2 View Post
I actually disagree with Paul. My car is not a "kit" car. A "kit" is that plastic model you buy at hobby lobby that comes with instructions telling you to put part A into part B. My car is in no way like that. I "assembled" my car from the pieces I chose with the mechanical knowledge and skill that I had and acquired. Midstates supplied me with a body and frame...I took it from there. Calling it a "kit" minimizies all the hardwork and long hours that went into building it. I guess by the same token we could call all the cars circling the track on Sunday "kit" cars right? I mean Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Toyota didn't build those. A bunch of guys in a garage did. What's the difference? I don't care what someone else's perception of my car is, I know the truth; and the truth is that it is NOT a kit...it is a replica and that is what I refer to it as.
I agree, the term 'Kit Car' is somewhat misleading and demeaning. Unfortunately, it was tagged with that name many years ago and we just cannot get rid of it. I, too, have put many hours into the construction of my ERA, but if Peter says it's a kit, well then it's a kit. The factory-built Cobras also have the term 'Kit' hung on them. The state of CT. calls them 'composite' cars, built from various components.